PDA

View Full Version : [5e] Sourcebooks that give expensive things for PCs to spend money on

Libertad
2021-07-09, 09:59 PM
So after my latest review, I've gotten around to thinking of what sourcebooks out there give equipment, services, and other things for PCs to spend their hard-gotten gold on. Beyond a certain level and amount there's not much use for currency in 5th Edition, save perhaps outfitting hirelings with full plate.

I'm not necessarily looking for a "magic item shop" style. Rather, things like base-building, favors and services of skilled minions, rare materials, vehicles, and those kind of things.

For the sourcebooks I know of, Matt Colville's Strongholds & Followers has mini-systems dedicated towards PCs establishing themselves as regional power players. Seas of Vodari has several options for designing and purchasing ships with magical enhancements. Brancalonia Spaghetti Fantasy Setting has rules for PCs upgrading safehouses so that they can start with free higher-level quality gear and animals between missions, bounties accumulated for crimes which must be paid off to avoid future complications and hazards, and the like.

quindraco
2021-07-09, 11:30 PM
So after my latest review, I've gotten around to thinking of what sourcebooks out there give equipment, services, and other things for PCs to spend their hard-gotten gold on. Beyond a certain level and amount there's not much use for currency in 5th Edition, save perhaps outfitting hirelings with full plate.

I'm not necessarily looking for a "magic item shop" style. Rather, things like base-building, favors and services of skilled minions, rare materials, vehicles, and those kind of things.

For the sourcebooks I know of, Matt Colville's Strongholds & Followers has mini-systems dedicated towards PCs establishing themselves as regional power players. Seas of Vodari has several options for designing and purchasing ships with magical enhancements. Brancalonia Spaghetti Fantasy Setting has rules for PCs upgrading safehouses so that they can start with free higher-level quality gear and animals between missions, bounties accumulated for crimes which must be paid off to avoid future complications and hazards, and the like.

Ghosts of Saltmarsh has a bunch of super expensive upgrades the players can buy to upgrade their capital ship. You could easily use the rules to develop upgrades for an airship.

Sigreid
2021-07-09, 11:58 PM
For bases, I'd grab the 3e strongholds book, or the Strongholds book for 5e that a third party put out. Honestly, the 3e one is really good and still easily used.

Unoriginal
2021-07-10, 05:29 AM
Beyond a certain level and amount there's not much use for currency in 5th Edition, save perhaps outfitting hirelings with full plate.

Well it also let the PCs live in luxury, like rich people do.

Matt Colville's Strongholds & Followers

I wouldn't buy anything from Colville, this book included. Not worth it.

JackPhoenix
2021-07-10, 06:07 AM
PHB and DMG. PHB has ships, DMG has castles and houses.

Sparky McDibben
2021-07-10, 12:06 PM

I would TOTALLY buy this book. I loved it and I've used it in about half my games since.

Alcore
2021-07-10, 01:02 PM

Indeed; not because of the person though.

When it comes to downtime every third party book starts out strong but then leaves you hanging with half baked systems. One supplement (which due to a spelling error on the cover I pirated it) talked about taxes on the stuff you build but put forth no mechanics.

Seriously just use 3.5 sources. Production values are way better even if the art sucks.

Sigreid
2021-07-10, 01:16 PM

I watched his videos on what it was all about nd decided it wasn't for me and fished out the old 3e strongholds book.

Beleriphon
2021-07-10, 01:21 PM
Acquisitions Incorporated, while designed as a D&D office comedy, actually has pretty strong rules for running a business. You have to parse the funny names, and weird suggestions, but at the core of the book is a really well setup way to waste invest your hard earned gold pieces into an extremely risky venture you may never recover from a venture that has potential for extremely high returns.

nickl_2000
2021-07-10, 01:44 PM
I would check out the wealth manual
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/272569/Expanded-Wealth-Manual

(This is not mine, just a tool we use)

Corsair14
2021-07-12, 10:26 AM
Its not 5e but the economic portions still apply. The Complete Castle Guide from 2e. Probably the best fortification guide for DnD written. Now you can go spend your several hundred thousand gold and still go into debt.