PDA

View Full Version : Shapechange Spell

MykulFrost
2021-07-10, 05:56 PM
Under the description of the Shapechange spell, there is this line "The assumed form cannot have more than your caster level in Hit Dice (to a maximum of 25 HD)."
My question is: Does bonuses to caster level augment (add to) this to allow a caster of a given level to 'shapechange' into creatures normally above their restricted level?

Anthrowhale
2021-07-10, 07:35 PM
Under the description of the Shapechange spell, there is this line "The assumed form cannot have more than your caster level in Hit Dice (to a maximum of 25 HD)."
My question is: Does bonuses to caster level augment (add to) this to allow a caster of a given level to 'shapechange' into creatures normally above their restricted level?

Usually, no, but Reserves of Strength allows you to go to 28HD.

MykulFrost
2021-07-10, 07:55 PM
Usually, no, but Reserves of Strength allows you to go to 28HD.

So things like Ioun stones and certain feats that add to 'caster level' will NOT increase it for the purpose of allowing a caster of the shapechange spell to be able to change into something with more HD than just his current 'actual' caster level?

Sorry if I sound repetitive. Just need to make sure.

Maat Mons
2021-07-10, 08:06 PM
Anthrowhale means increasing your caster level generally doesn't circumvent the 25-HD cap. But yes, the Ioun Stone would, for example, let a 17th-level character Shapechange into an 18-HD creature, since it would make his caster level 18.

MykulFrost
2021-07-10, 08:09 PM
Anthrowhale means increasing your caster level generally doesn't circumvent the 25-HD cap. But yes, the Ioun Stone would, for example, let a 17th-level character Shapechange into an 18-HD creature, since it would make his caster level 18.

Ok, cool. Just wanted to make sure. Thank you both for the help.