PDA

View Full Version : Does fortunes favor stack like death ward does ?

Keeganwilson
2021-07-11, 08:36 AM
As the title says.

To those who don't know about the rule

"The effects of different spells add together while the durations of those spells overlap. The effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine, however. Instead, the most potent effect - such as the highest bonus - from those castings applies while their durations overlap.
For example, if two clerics cast bless on the same target, that character gains the spell’s benefit only once; he or she doesn’t get to roll two bonus dice."

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-11, 08:53 AM
You impart latent luck to yourself or one willing creature you can see within range. When the chosen creature makes an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw before the spell ends, it can dismiss this spell on itself to roll an additional d20 and choose which of the d20s to use. Alternatively, when an attack roll is made against the chosen creature, it can dismiss this spell on itself to roll a d20 and choose which of the d20s to use, the one it rolled or the one the attacker rolled.

If the original d20 roll has advantage or disadvantage, the creature rolls the additional d20 after advantage or disadvantage has been applied to the original roll.
I'm not entirely sure as to what the question is? the second casting of an identical spell on any target would be the same, unless there's something that I'm missing here? In that case, the answer would be yes, fortune's favor stacks (or, rather, it doesn't) like death ward.

MrStabby
2021-07-11, 09:09 AM
As the title says.

To those who don't know about the rule

"The effects of different spells add together while the durations of those spells overlap. The effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine, however. Instead, the most potent effect - such as the highest bonus - from those castings applies while their durations overlap.
For example, if two clerics cast bless on the same target, that character gains the spell’s benefit only once; he or she doesn’t get to roll two bonus dice."

In terms of play, I have always ruled that Bless basically doesn't stack at all. I am pretty happy with that...

Notwithstanding the practical side, I have never been quite sure whether two abilities, like bless, that add d4 are equally potent and you roll once. Or, if on a given event you should roll 2d4 and pick the highest as the higher number is the more potent effect. I.e. is it literally you don't roll two dice or that you don't get the benefit of both dice.

Given clarifications and rules both tend to be poorly written I have never been quite 100% sure.

I also wonder about stuff like bestow curse - does different curse effects stack or given it is the same spell you just chose which the most potent effect is... but then how do you determine the most potent?

meandean
2021-07-11, 11:23 AM
The wording is clear IMO that you can't simultaneously bestow two curses. It's still "the same spell", even if different effects are chosen.

The idea of a conflict is an interesting theoretical, but unlikely to come up. If it's two PCs, when Bob tries to curse the same NPC that Alice already cursed, the DM should point that out to Bob and give him the opportunity to change his action. And if an NPC is involved, well, the DM can just have them do something else that won't cause a rules argument.

I suppose you could have Bob insist that he wants to do it anyway, or a situation can arise in which there's no way to argue that Bob is aware of what Alice did. I think the logical resolution would be that the new curse replaces the old one; that way, every action that someone took meant something. But, I'm not aware of any specific rules guidance on that.

By that same logic, I'd say that if you try to bless someone twice, the second bless "replaces" the first one... which, since bless always has the same effect, doesn't change anything. (I suppose you at least lengthened the duration, so there's that.) I certainly don't see any real way to argue that the second bless​ gives you any sort of advantage.

PhantomSoul
2021-07-11, 12:23 PM
I suppose you could have Bob insist that he wants to do it anyway, or a situation can arise in which there's no way to argue that Bob is aware of what Alice did. I think the logical resolution would be that the new curse replaces the old one, but I'm not aware of any specific rules guidance on that.

This is a spot where I tend to default to using the highest DC to determine "stronger", but for optimal fun if you want uncertainty and like dice rolls, ask for contested ability checks and/or ask for an ability check vs. the DC of the first instance of the spell.

RSP
2021-07-11, 12:43 PM
This is a spot where I tend to default to using the highest DC to determine "stronger", but for optimal fun if you want uncertainty and like dice rolls, ask for contested ability checks and/or ask for an ability check vs. the DC of the first instance of the spell.

I’d go with higher spell slot>spell DC>Recipient’s choice

That is, if one casting used a higher slot, that is the stronger spell. If same slot was used by both castings, than the higher spell save DC would be used. If those are also the same, the recipient can pick which casting they want to use.

Just my take on it though.