PDA

View Full Version : Positive Thoughts for Truenaming

graymachine
2007-11-14, 02:16 AM
Hey, people, thanks for taking the time to read my bit of ramble here. I was curious if I could get some positive feedback/ideas for the Truenaming class. Currently, I'm playing in World's Largest City with a Truenamer (level 5) and am finding myself a little at a loss for his mechanical development. Frankly, I've taken a look at the Truenamer PrCs and am pretty disappointed; Bereft is the only one I like, but it being only 5 levels seems to limit it too much for my needs. It seems in the party that I'm needing to, primarily, fill the need for an arcane casting and, secondarily, the role of a bard. I plan on sticking with Truenamer, but are there any suggestions for PrCs I might qualify for, or particular combos with utterances that work really well?

P.S.- I'm looking for development with the current character I have, so please no suggestion that I dump/retrain my levels for another class.

Kaelik
2007-11-14, 02:33 AM
The only suggestion I can give you is to take Item Familiar. The Truenamer is so useless that you might as well use brokenness to make it work. Obviously you should put as many pretend ranks into it as you can until it equals your current ranks. That way, when factoring in different bonuses, you'll actually be able to use the same utterance multiple times with success.

Dark Tira
2007-11-14, 02:46 AM
Kaelik has it right. If you want to stay with truenaming you have to start getting cheesy with the skill, something like a Faustian Pact. (Fiendish Codex II)

Rad
2007-11-14, 03:20 AM
Truenamer's main problem is that the DCs go up of about +2/level while your skill goes up +1/level, so you'll start to fail a lot of checks, and getting worse, as you go on with the levels.
Get whatever cheesy way there is to raise up your skill. Ask for a custom item and the like.

Akennedy
2007-11-14, 04:24 PM
Personally, I wish there were more Utterances or a list of spells able to be converted to truenaming.

Egill
2007-11-14, 06:05 PM
It might be worth taking a one-level dip into the Exemplar for the benefits to your Truespeaking skill. Prereqs are Diplomacy 6, any other skill 13.

First level grants you a +4 bonus to one skill of your choice w/ at least 13 current ranks (truespeaking) and lets you take 10 on 3 + int modifier skills even if other conditions would not permit.

This dip, the cheesable item familiar and the +10 truespeaking amulet have been some of the best advice I have found on how to raise truespeaking to a reasonable, if not ideal, level.

Starbuck_II
2007-11-14, 08:16 PM
Personally, I wish there were more Utterances or a list of spells able to be converted to truenaming.

Funny part, is many spells have a truename component are stronger than the utterances.