PDA

View Full Version : Planescape

Charles Phipps
2007-11-14, 03:15 AM
So, did anyone ever play this game and what did they like/dislike about it?

Matthew
2007-11-14, 03:25 AM
What game? Planescape the Campaign Setting? or Planescape: Torment the CRPG?

Charles Phipps
2007-11-14, 03:30 AM
What game? Planescape the Campaign Setting? or Planescape: Torment the CRPG?

Roleplaying game.

Planescape: Torment would be another forum altogether. Though I'm getting that. Frankly, I've heard that the ending leaves something to be desired due to its immutability.

Mr Horse
2007-11-14, 03:41 AM
Roleplaying game.

Planescape: Torment would be another forum altogether. Though I'm getting that. Frankly, I've heard that the ending leaves something to be desired due to its immutability.

Huh? The ending is totally different depending on what you do...
The only thing that remains the same is the VERY last cut scene, but everything that happens up until then (and thus the actual meaning of that last cut scene) is entirely dependant on the choices you've made throughout the game.

Matthew
2007-11-14, 03:54 AM
Roleplaying game.

There is no Planescape the Roleplaying Game. Planescape first appeared as a Campaign Setting for AD&D. It's like Spelljammer and has an Official Fan Site where a 3e conversion project has been underway for the duration.

As far as the Campaign Setting goes, it's pretty good.

Mr Horse
2007-11-14, 03:54 AM
Anyway, what I like about the Planescape campaign setting is that it really is anything you want it to be.
It can be high fantasy, steam punk, horror, sci-fi, etc.
There's really no limit to where you can take your adventures in the Planescape setting.
You could start off on Faerūn and end the campaign on Athas or Krynn. You could also start on Oerth and never actually leave the place.
So I generally always play Planescape simply because of the freedom it gives you.

Mikeavelli
2007-11-14, 04:07 AM
Played it, loved the setting. It's dying out, slowly but surely - even though the guys at Planewalker.com are trying to keep it going.

Most of the conversions of relevant material is already done to 3.0 and 3.5 respectively, and the fluff applies equally well to pretty much any system of rules. Bonus that the Fluff is what really sells the setting. Bonus points if you take in a bunch of clueless and introduce them to the setting in character.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-14, 04:13 AM
This is my Planescape Canon (http://www.sigilprep.com/)

CASTLEMIKE
2007-11-14, 04:49 AM
Edit: I liked it once it was fleshed out a little especially Sigil. I liked the variants for Tieflings not all getting exactly the same stuff from their heritage. The Well of Worlds was a nice introductions for those Primes. Tales from the Infinite Stairway and Doorways to the Unknown were fun. The Great Modron March and Dead Gods were pretty interesting. I liked the original Signers. It had some interesting NPCs in Sigil from the various source books.

jamroar
2007-11-14, 04:59 AM
I like it once it was fleshed out a little especially Sigil. I liked the variants for Tieflings not all getting exactly the same stuff from their heritage. The Well of Worlds was a nice introductions for those Primes. Tales from the Infinite Stairway and Doorways to Infinity were fun. The Great Modron March and Dead Gods were pretty interesting. I liked the original Signers. It had some interesting NPCs in Sigil from the various source books.

The one thing I disliked about Planescape was the cant everyone insisted on speaking in. It just feels like a needlessly artificial attempt to make the setting appear more exotic than it already is. I'm still convinced it's all an elaborate prank that Sigilites play on unsuspecting planar tourists.

SmartAlec
2007-11-14, 05:07 AM
The one thing I disliked about Planescape was the cant everyone insisted on speaking in. It just feels like a needlessly artificial attempt to make the setting appear more exotic than it already is. I'm still convinced it's all an elaborate prank that Sigilites play on unsuspecting planar tourists.

Considering that Planar Cant is mostly archaic Londoner lower-class slang, I'm not sure how 'artificial' it can legitimately be called; because at one point, some people really did talk like that. :smallsmile: And that's Cagers to you, berk, not Sigilites. :smallbiggrin: I do agree that it's best used sparingly, and usually only when dealing with Sigil's ruffian-types, otherwise it gets wearing.

Anyhow! The thing about Planescape that keeps me coming back is the politics. It's the most awesome power-political setting ever, with a huge range of cuth-throat plot ideas and potential protagonists, even when taking Sigil on its' own and not using any of the actual Planes. Getting involved in the kriegstanz opens up a huuuge amount of options for a DM and for a party.

Charles Phipps
2007-11-14, 06:47 AM
I'm currently trying to design a Planescape Campaign and frankly not sure where to begin. I'm going to start with the "Clueless" coming to the Cage and pretty much handling it from there but I'm definitely setting it Prior-Faction War. I'm not really sure what to do in order to bring up the elements of how Planescape is a setting dominated by Belief, however.

Or how to achieve the level of quirkiness it really needs.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-11-14, 09:51 AM
I agree the cant just for the cant's sake got a little old so we didn't use it much.

Well of Worlds as a pdf for under $5 might be really nice. I liked how the gates were set up to the various planes along with some of the sights and acquiring a key to work the gates. Some of the adventures were pretty interesting.

The Great Modron March or Doors into the Unknown have a lot of story that can be tweaked.

raygungothic
2007-11-14, 10:33 AM
Planescape was certainly one of the most interesting settings TSR ever published - few takes on epic high fantasy are as original. I just wish I'd bought more of it when it was still out! You can buy PDFs online but I found them really faint and difficult to print from.

On the whole, I think it's great, and I still borrow a lot from it. Sometimes the DM's supplements have an irritatingly patronising tone, though - the "cant" does not belong in that material. I do not appreciate being called "berk" all the time while planning my adventure, it's really quite rude. (In fact, though much of it is taken from historical slang, no-one in history used all those words together or any of them as frequently)