View Full Version : All Spell Trigger items?

Anthrowhale
2021-07-12, 08:36 AM
Wands and Staffs are the standard spell trigger (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#spellTrigger) items, but there are few others. What is a complete list?

At the moment, I have:

Wands (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wands.htm), 375 gp * caster level * spell level, 50 charges, max spell level 4
Staffs (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/staffs.htm), 375 gp * caster level * spell level, halved if 2 charges to activate, 50 charges, min caster level 8.
Golem Manuals (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#golemManual), varying cost, 1 charge.
Some Prayer Beads (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#strandofPrayerBeads), varying cost, 1 charge/day
Scepter, Lost Empires of Faerun page 153, 750*spell level*caster level, 50 charges, max spell level 7 (thanks to Tiktakkat)
Bow of True Arrows, Sword and Fist page 76, 4K, infinite charges (thanks to Thurbane)
Wands and Staffs for mysteries, Tome of Magic page 154 (thanks to Thurbane)
Gem of Aboleth Slime, Legend of the Silver Skeleton (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20061017a) page 9, 1.95K, 1 charge (thanks to Thurbane)
Bone Wand, Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk page 221, 20K gp, 50 charges, 2 charges/animate dead (thanks to Thurbane)
The Hamagess' Staffsprout (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20020130a) drains charges from a staff to make a 1 charge wand. (thanks to Thurbane)
The Artificer Infusion "Spell Storing Item" creates a single charge wand only useable by the artificer which lasts for hour/level. ECS page 115. (thanks to Harrow)

There appear to be no other ones in the Magic Item Compendium.

Are there any others?

Tiktakkat
2021-07-12, 01:19 PM
Specific item types are:

1. Wands
2. Scepters (Lost Empires of Faerun)
3. Staffs
4. Runestaffs (MIC, effectively)
5. Eternal Wand (MIC, combo of wand and wondrous item)

Psionic equivalents are:
6. Dorjes (Expanded Psionics Handbook, psionic wand)
7. Drilbu (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20011123a an actual psionic staff, 3.0 vintage)
8. Psicrown (Expanded Psionics Handbook, psionic staff as a head slot item)

Anthrowhale
2021-07-12, 02:27 PM
2. Scepters (Lost Empires of Faerun)

Good, added to the OP.

4. Runestaffs (MIC, effectively)
5. Eternal Wand (MIC, combo of wand and wondrous item)

Neither of these seem to be spell trigger items? Eternal Wands say: "Activation: Standard(Command)" and Runestaffs say: "Activation: As spell used".

Psionic equivalents ...
I'm interested in spell trigger items since they are usable with Channel Charge.

Tiktakkat
2021-07-12, 02:53 PM
Neither of these seem to be spell trigger items? Eternal Wands say: "Activation: Standard(Command)" and Runestaffs say: "Activation: As spell used".

Effectively they are, as they use feats for making Spell Trigger items.
Regular wands are "Standard (Command)" items. Eternal Wands are just more lenient and work for any arcane caster, not just those with the spell on their list.
Runestaffs have a similar mechanism, just adding the spell slot requirement to the activation.

ShurikVch
2021-07-12, 03:38 PM
Attuned Gems (Magic of Faerūn)
Runes (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting)
Skull Talismans (Frostburn)

Also: Manshoon's Ring of Duplication [minor artifact] (Dragon #359)

Darg
2021-07-12, 05:44 PM
Regular wands are "Standard (Command)" items. Eternal Wands are just more lenient and work for any arcane caster, not just those with the spell on their list.
Runestaffs have a similar mechanism, just adding the spell slot requirement to the activation.

Regular wands are spell trigger items. Spell trigger requires knowledge of the spell in order to activate. Eternal wands don't require special knowledge as they are command word activation. The activation method is similar, but they are different.

Runestaffs are nowhere near similar. They require the user to actually cast the spell and must deal with all that entails: AoOs, counterspells, use of spell slots, etc.

Anthrowhale
2021-07-12, 06:30 PM
MIC page 220 distinguishes [Action Type](Command) from [Action Type](Spell Trigger).

Attuned Gems (Magic of Faerūn)

I don't think these qualify, unfortunately. They seem to function more like a contingent spell or a potion rather than a spell trigger item. Is there any language suggesting they are spell trigger items?

Skull Talismans (Frostburn)

This also appears to be a potion-like way to store a spell.

Also: Manshoon's Ring of Duplication [minor artifact] (Dragon #359)
This is a nice item, but it also isn't clearly a spell trigger activation?

Saintheart
2021-07-13, 11:42 AM

Unfortunately (or, really, fortunately), runes aren't spell-trigger items. Long story's in my sig, but runes can be triggered by touch, don't require any knowledge of spellcasting to activate, and don't require that you know the spell within them before triggering them and casting the spell. They're (via a process of elimination) use-activated items with (sigh) a standard action activation time (or no activation time if they're being used as a magic trap).

EDIT: Ninja'd in part by Anthrowhale, but yeah. Not spell trigger items, not when you read what it takes to trigger a rune and cast the spell within it.

Tiktakkat
2021-07-14, 12:50 PM
MIC page 220 distinguishes [Action Type](Command) from [Action Type](Spell Trigger).
And;

Regular wands are spell trigger items. Spell trigger requires knowledge of the spell in order to activate. Eternal wands don't require special knowledge as they are command word activation. The activation method is similar, but they are different.

Well:

[Action Type] (command): Command activation means that a character speaks a command word and the item activates. No other special knowledge is needed.

[Action Type] (spell trigger): Spell trigger activation is simi*lar to spell completion, but it's even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a knowledge of spellcasting and a single word that must be spoken.

Eternal wands do require special knowledge - they require arcane spellcasting ability.
The only distinction from standard spell trigger items is that the spell in the item does not have to be on your class list.

Runestaffs are nowhere near similar. They require the user to actually cast the spell and must deal with all that entails: AoOs, counterspells, use of spell slots, etc.

Runestaffs require the Craft Staff feat to make. That feat creates spell trigger items.
They also require having the spell on your class list, another element of spell trigger items.

That is why I classify both as spell trigger items.

Darg
2021-07-14, 03:07 PM
Spell trigger items require that the spell be on the class spell list. Eternal wands do not. Hence the classification as command word in the MIC. Just because it has additional limitations doesn't change that. It also doesn't require the ability to cast arcane spells, just that they can. So a paladin/ranger with the sword of the arcane order feat can use it, or a cleric with the spell domain. A warlock with precocious apprentice with an arcane spell, or a druid with magical training are fully capable of using eternal wands without a UMD check.

Runestaffs are not spell trigger activation because you are casting the spell. This includes providing the components for the spell.

Activating a runestaff (that is, casting a spell from it) is almost like casting the spell yourself, including casting time and even provoking attacks of opportunity. You must supply any components or costs normally required by the spell cast from the runestaff, just as if you had cast it yourself

This is nowhere near a spell trigger and the only difference from casting is that you don't need a concentration check if distracted.

The feat used to craft something has nothing to do with it's activation type.

loky1109
2021-07-14, 03:34 PM
[Action Type] (command): Command activation means that a character speaks a command word and the item activates. No other special knowledge is needed.
Eternal wands do require special knowledge - they require arcane spellcasting ability.

Ok. Eternal wands aren't command. I see. But I don't see any arguments that they are spell trigger. This isn't 0/1 switch. Spell trigger items have very specific characteristics, not "all what isn't command".

Anthrowhale
2021-07-18, 05:35 AM
I'm impressed by how few spell trigger items there are outside of the SRD.

Thurbane
2021-07-18, 07:36 PM
Bone Wand (EttRoG p.221) which is kind of a wand/wondrous item hybrid.

Bow of True Arrows (S&F p.76).

Gem of Aboleth Slime (Legend of the Silver Skeleton adventure, p.9)

Shadow Magic "spell trigger" items (ToM p.154)

Some traps are considered "spell trigger" items. Although not in the way a wand is.

Anthrowhale
2021-07-18, 10:10 PM
Bone Wand (EttRoG p.221) which is kind of a wand/wondrous item hybrid.

Bow of True Arrows (S&F p.76).

Gem of Aboleth Slime (Legend of the Silver Skeleton adventure, p.9)

Shadow Magic "spell trigger" items (ToM p.154)

Some traps are considered "spell trigger" items. Although not in the way a wand is.

These are quite nice.

I don't have access to EttRoG. How does a Bone Wand differ from a Wand?

The Bow of True Arrows looks like it could be handy combined with some source of Power Shot and Many Shot.

The Gem of Aboleth Slime is cheap as a 1-charge item, but kind of disappointing as an effect.

The Shadow Magic wands are great---they open up possibilities that I hadn't realized for Channel Charge. Looking over the mysteries:
"Voyage into Shadow" provides Shadow Walk++
"Truth Revealed" provides True Seeing++
"Shadow Skin" provides DR 15/-
"Flood of Shadows" automatically empowers shadow spells
"Flicker" provides immediate action tactical teleport for rounds/level as a 3rd level mystery (greater dimension jumper is 9th level and swift action)
"Flesh Fails" is level 2 and deals 4 or 2 points of no-save ability damage to Str, Dex, or Con as a touch.
"Far Sight" is Greater Scrying + Truth Revealed
"Echo Spell" allows you to mimic any other L4- spell or mystery. It's the level 5 version of the level 9 Replicate Casting.

Harrow
2021-07-18, 10:22 PM
Technically still considered wands, but for the sake of completeness I'd like to mention that the 1st level Artificer infusion Spell Storing Item can turn any item into a wand with a single charge that only the caster can use.

Thurbane
2021-07-18, 11:29 PM
I don't have access to EttRoG. How does a Bone Wand differ from a Wand?

It's a wondrous item with two effects: first effect uses 1 charge, and creates a spray of bone shards causing damage in a line. Anyone can use this function as a standard (command) action.

The second function is Animate Dead, and uses 2 charges. It is called out as a spell trigger effect in the description.

It comes with 50 charges when full. Costs 20,000gp.

Technically still considered wands, but for the sake of completeness I'd like to mention that the 1st level Artificer infusion Spell Storing Item can turn any item into a wand with a single charge that only the caster can use.

That reminds me, isn't there a Druid spell that makes a 1 charge wand grow from a staff? Thought it was in a FR splat book, but I'm struggling to find it.

The spell is called The Hamagess' Staffsprout (Brd 5, Sor/Wiz 6), from an online article: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20020130a .It may be of use, through. Even though it drains charges from the staff, the one charge wand it creatures uses the CL of the staff, and since the spell has a duration of instantaneous, you can keep the wand forever. Not sure how much use it would for Channel Charge, though.

Anthrowhale
2021-07-19, 06:42 AM
Nice---this is plausibly usable by anyone with a UMD 20 skill check which a Channel Charge user could easily make. The only limitation seems to be the hour/level duration.

The second function is Animate Dead, and uses 2 charges. It is called out as a spell trigger effect in the description.

Thanks, added details.

The spell is called The Hamagess' Staffsprout (Brd 5, Sor/Wiz 6), from an online article: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20020130a .It may be of use, through. Even though it drains charges from the staff, the one charge wand it creatures uses the CL of the staff, and since the spell has a duration of instantaneous, you can keep the wand forever. Not sure how much use it would for Channel Charge, though.
That's quite nice. It provides a way to create 1-charge permanent duration wand which is much cheaper than a 50 charge wand. The only thing better would be 1-charge permanent duration staff.

Harrow
2021-07-19, 05:48 PM

Huh. That spell lists the material component as being "A magical staff...", but a material component is defined as "one or more physical substances or objects that are annihilated by the spell energies in the casting process." Technically, every time you cast that spell on one staff, you need to destroy an entire other staff to do it. Pretty obvious that it should have been a focus, though, so it shouldn't be too hard to convince a DM. And, if your DM insists on playing it RAW, then the rest of the material component description is "...standing in at least an inch of water". Emphasis mine. If you want to play with the silliest interpretations of the rules as possible, you could place a staff in the ocean, cast Staffsprout, and the entire ocean is annihilated as a material component. That's about on the level of using Iron Heart Surge to put out the sun, and of little consequence at almost any table, just a fun thing I thought of.

Thurbane
2021-07-19, 06:10 PM
Huh. That spell lists the material component as being "A magical staff...", but a material component is defined as "one or more physical substances or objects that are annihilated by the spell energies in the casting process." Technically, every time you cast that spell on one staff, you need to destroy an entire other staff to do it. Pretty obvious that it should have been a focus, though, so it shouldn't be too hard to convince a DM. And, if your DM insists on playing it RAW, then the rest of the material component description is "...standing in at least an inch of water". Emphasis mine. If you want to play with the silliest interpretations of the rules as possible, you could place a staff in the ocean, cast Staffsprout, and the entire ocean is annihilated as a material component. That's about on the level of using Iron Heart Surge to put out the sun, and of little consequence at almost any table, just a fun thing I thought of.

Ugh. Yeah, good point. It's annoying how often the devs didn't understand the difference between components and foci. Given that the spell is meant to drain charges from the staff, I believe the clear intent was that the staff not be consumed in its entirety.