PDA

View Full Version : [5e] The Bad Guys Win [IC]

Leostales
2021-07-12, 08:02 PM
It's been 10 years since you "aided" The Lord Death Knight in his conquest of the realm and war is the gift that keeps on giving. After The Great War came Little War after Little War as the Alliance polished off its loose ends. The Forest Elves, the Dragons, the Vampire Rebellion… The challengers never end. The most recent one was defeated only a week ago and your Lord Overseer’s holding court to address the aftermath.

The Overseer’s current court's lasted nearly five days. You’ve attended much of it as Lord Vizier, but even you have limits. Most of court’s spent discussing minutiae and petty decisions. You’ve too many other duties to waste time with that rubbish! You were given leave after the first day, but now you’ve received a summons. The Overseer needs you back for something important. So you pause your duties, put on your best tunic, hail a cab, and make ready to rule the world.

The Lord Overseer’s court is housed in an elevated rotunda raised above the rest of Imperial Plaza. Large, dark, circular building, topped with a small dome. A grand staircase leads up to tall bronze doors, choked by a line of commoners, courtiers, and criminals. Some have waited hours, some years. Poor devils. You push past them and present your Vizier’s badge to a guard, a rectangular piece of painted glass with your face on it. The guard nods and gets you through the crowd.

The doors part to reveal a grand, circular hall with dark walls. High, thin windows provide dim light aided by undying braziers which line the hall. A crimson carpet cuts cross the chamber forging a path from the hall's doors to the Overseer's throne, sitting atop a dais raised five feet above the floor. The Lord Death Knight is not in it.

You don’t know why he’d leave a court session hanging, but it’s gotta be something serious. Some call him the "Unsleeping Overseer," and it fits. The man loves holding court. He once held it for a month without pause. The peasants never seem to run out of problems, now do they?

On either side of the chamber are rows of chairs filled with lords, ladies, knights, and knaves. The left side has significantly fewer chairs and is reserved for Viziers. You take your seat amongst them and wait for your lord to return...

After a half hour, you ask a vizier when the Old Death Knight is returning. He shrugs, which tempts you to leave until the Overseer returns. Finally the doors of the chamber swing open and in walks a knight covered in blood. Behind him drags a dark green cloak stained with red. Clad in armor and green-grey helmet, only his red eyes are visible beneath. Attached is a small crown of gold. Nothing too majestic, he’s an “overseer” not a dictator after all.

He walks past his viziers without looking at anyone and climbs into his throne. “Send in the next one,” he says in a low voice.

The gold doors open at his command. “Werner Fahrenstein,” bellows the announcer. “Scientist. Heir of Reginmund Fahrenstein. Traitor to the realm.”

In walks a tall, sallow man. Hair black and greased. Brown cloak with a red ascot underneath. He stands at his full height, confident smirk on his face. The bottom half of his kisser is handsome, but the top's flesh is yellowed and slimy. Drokker looks like a melting candle. He approaches the throne and bows on one knee.

“My lord. I pledge allegiance to your crown and throne. I humbly request mercy for my past crimes against the realm and beg your personal forgiveness for the disrespect I have shown you.”

The Lord Overseer looks down at Fahrenstein, then throws up his head and laughs. “I’m afraid you’re a little late, Lord Waxface. You should have come 7 years ago when I was giving out pardons left and right.” He slouches in his throne. “You had your chance for repentance. You blew it.” He looks at his viziers. “What should I do with this drokker?”

Lioslaith
2021-07-12, 08:17 PM
From the back row of the Vizier choirs assembled you hear a quiet and confident voice from a white haired figure dressed in black, "Death."

JNAProductions
2021-07-12, 08:59 PM
"Oblivion," Mask replies. "Unless you wish to make an example of this fool-then perhaps I should stay my hand."

miinstrel
2021-07-13, 10:38 AM
https://i.ibb.co/Pxgthcv/PIC-creature-dungeon-shadowdragon-upg-artwork-small.jpg
Vendruxithikil (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2475413)
Blindsight 60' / Magic DV 120'
AC 19 | PP 29 / PIns 19 / PInv 23

Vendru paces about the room, casually looking over the assembled courtiers as they wait for the owner of the throne to appear. She returns to her seat but a few moments before he enters, almost as though she saw it coming... she had an uncanny knack for that.

Eyeing this man's waxed head with amusement, the Lord Overseer did have a flair for creative punishment, she stands as her turn comes to speak. "Now, now... for all its crimes, our waxed friend here has done a good deal to advance our understanding of the arcane. T'would be a shame to obliviate that work. It has certainly lost its right to freedom and life, but let us consider a more compelled compliance. I call for undeath."

Leostales
2021-07-13, 01:44 PM
Lord Waxface's smirk is real. He's confident he'll survive.

The Lord Overseer laughs with your responses. “It seems you waited too long, Lord Waxface. I suppose I’ll see you in undeath. Guards!” Two seize Waxface’s arms, force him to his feet, still smirking. His yellow eyes gleam.

“You think I didn’t expect this!” he shouts. “You think I have a death wish. Ask me why I came!”

The Overseer stares down at him, eyes ablaze. “Very well,” he says. “Tell me why should I spare your life.”

“I've a warning for you. Ignore me at your peril!”

The Death Knight slouches in his chair again. “I receive many 'warnings' these days. What makes yours so special?”

“No. I need assurances first!” He points to the viziers. "Assurances they won't execute me."

Your Overseer glances in your direction. "Should we give assurances to this traitor?"

Lioslaith
2021-07-13, 01:52 PM
Standing up from his seat Athelras says in a too calm voice, ”You may have an assurance that I will not execute you.” With that he remains standing and moves just a bit so he has a clear line to the prisoner should he need to move quickly.

Leostales
2021-07-13, 02:04 PM
"You'll have to do better than that," Waxface says to Ath. "I need your assurance you won't have me executed... by anyone! Whether it be with words or weapons."

Lioslaith
2021-07-13, 02:08 PM
"You'll have to do better than that," Waxface says to Ath. "I need your assurance you won't have me executed... by anyone! Whether it be with words or weapons."

”My dear Mr. Fahrenstien, how could I ever give you that assurance when the Overseer could simply turn around and order me to do so?”

Leostales
2021-07-13, 03:06 PM
That's a good point

Fahrenstein looks at The Overseer. "If I find your warning useful, I will not have you executed," says the Death Knight. "Now spill the ballots."

Fine
Its time.

"All right," says Lord Waxface. "One week ago. On the eve of your most recent victory, I had a dream. The dream told me of your destruction. Not then, not now, but soon. And it told me that soon a new age would begin. An age that I would play a part in." He shrugged. "It was hazy, but I've studied mind control in great detail. That dream was not mine, it was implanted. By someone who wants you dead. And if they were able to plant it in my mind, then they've almost certainly planted it in others."

Don't let the viziers think I'm referring to them.

Lioslaith
2021-07-13, 03:07 PM
Athelras will push deeper into his thoughts.

Lioslaith
2021-07-13, 03:15 PM
Chuckling a very sinister and threatening laugh Athelras takes a few steps around the other seated viziers and addresses waxface again, ”A vague attempt to forestall the end of your life. There are obviously still people within the known world who wish us all to be gone.”

miinstrel
2021-07-13, 03:34 PM
https://i.ibb.co/Pxgthcv/PIC-creature-dungeon-shadowdragon-upg-artwork-small.jpg

"Ughh..." Ruth throws her head back in annoyance at his posturing. But as the Overseer seems to be intrigued enough to proceed she keeps silent until Waxface is finished at which point she stands again.

"A dream told you something would happen... sometime soon? I'm afraid your part is that of a mere bellows - blowing hot air to fuel the forging of this empire."
Turning her eyes to the Overseer she adds, "My Lord, we've wasted enough time on this imbecile. Let us be done with it."

JNAProductions
2021-07-13, 07:06 PM
Mask stays quiet, save for a small chuckle. They see no need to interfere, other than bemusement at the desperate attempts of Waxface to save his skin.

Leostales
2021-07-13, 07:59 PM
Are they being stubborn... Or are they compromised? Accusing them's not going to convince them... Wait one of them's reading my thoughts!

The connection ends.

"All right," says Waxface, showing his palms in a humble gesture. "I get the scent in the wind. In all fairness, I'd act the same if our positions were reversed. I'm a patient man, I can forgive you." He turns to The Lord Death Knight. "Put me in your worst cell, turn me into an undead, kill me if you must, but one day you will realize I was right. It may not be today. It may not be tomorrow. It may not be for centuries! But on that day you will realize I was right! And you will wish you had listened to me now! When the damage could still have been undone!" The guards reseize Waxface's arms, he doesn't fight them.

The Lord Death Knight turns to Bruihl, the court stenographer, a bespectacled goblin with finely groomed hair. "I want all that written down. Word for word. Make notes on everyone's reactions.

"Already done, boss," says Bruihl. His court records are known for their ludicrous amounts of detail.

Lioslaith
2021-07-13, 08:02 PM
Athelras watches the guards drag him away, turning to the Overseer, "Might I question him before we carry out his sentence?"

Leostales
2021-07-13, 08:23 PM
"Perhaps. I thought you didn't believe him," says The Overseer. He raises a hand and the guards pause their dragging of Waxface. "Shall we question him here, or in private?"

Lioslaith
2021-07-14, 05:22 AM
"I personally do not believe his ranting, it is too general and vague to be of use for anything other than to save his life. But I think HE believes it, and I would like to find out why. After a pause to give thought to the Overseer's question he responds, "I would like to do so in private." The words carry a sinister note as Athelras looks at Waxface.

Leostales
2021-07-14, 08:01 PM
The Lord Overseer looks at Athelras, then at Waxface, then at Athelras again. "No," he says, almost a whisper. "No, he's obviously lying." He motions to the guards. "Let him rot in our deepest cell!"

"I will be a king's last regret," Waxface mutters as the guards drag him away. "A better fate than most."

When Waxface is gone, The Overseer turns to Jasper, his Quickling herald. "Tell Reginmund Fahrenstein we've captured his prodigal son. I would have words with him." Jasper nods and runs off.

The Death Knight stands up, adressing the entire court in a booming voice. "I'll thank none of you for mentioning the lies of Werner Fahrenstein outside this courtroom. Our hold over the realm is secure! I will not have a panic be his legacy! Any such talk will be considered treason!" He lowers his voice. "Court is adjourned. We shall reconvene in two days time. Those here who were members of The Noble Alliance, meet me in my office in 200 hours. That will be all."

The Overseer walks down the steps of the dais, across the red carpet, and out of the chamber. You know that now is not the time to ask him questions. A few minutes after the doors slam behind the Overseer, other courtiers leave their chairs and start to funnel out of the room.

Lioslaith
2021-07-15, 10:56 AM
Athelras retires to his quarters to pass the time. Waiting until he can make his way to the Overseer's office. Thinking to himself I wonder what the fop wants now...

JNAProductions
2021-07-15, 11:53 AM
Mask walks with Athelras. "Think I should've removed Waxface?" they ask the dragon. "If for no other reason than to grant everyone else the blissful ignorance of his whining."

Lioslaith
2021-07-15, 11:55 AM
Mask walks with Athelras. "Think I should've removed Waxface?" they ask the dragon. "If for no other reason than to grant everyone else the blissful ignorance of his whining."

"Acting without the Lord's consent usually has bad consequences. But I applaud your initiative and enthusiasm."

JNAProductions
2021-07-15, 11:57 AM
"I'm not going to disobey him for a spot of fun," Mask says. Not yet, at least, they think, before continuing their words. "But the good Lord hardly seemed that interested in keeping him around. If we had voted to get rid of Waxface, I doubt he would've overruled us."

Lioslaith
2021-07-15, 11:58 AM
"Who knows these days. His whims grow more and more erratic."

miinstrel
2021-07-15, 01:44 PM

As the traitor is removed from the chamber, the small invisible beacon Ruth left outside the doors follows the guards, tracking just where Waxface is taken.

Ruth moseys over to some of the non-vizier ladies of the court and strikes up a casual conversation. "Well that was certainly worth the trip today. These hearings can be so tedious... but implanted dreams? Hah! Have you ever heard of such a thing?" Her tone is dismissive but the question genuine, as though this could be a joke she weren't in on.

Ruth knew full well it was possible, of course - she could even do it herself, but whether the others here had heard of such magic or rumors of similar happenings remained to be seen.

Leostales
2021-07-15, 01:58 PM
Ruth

The ladies nod, but their faces are weary of Ruth. She's always been mistrusted, but ever since her transformation... They can tell. On some subconscious level they know she is best avoided. An old crone does not share their weariness, however. One Ruth cannot recall ever hearing her speak in court. She meets Ruth's eyes and says, "Do not be so quick to laugh, child. I've seen what dreams can do to mortals who ignore them."

miinstrel
2021-07-15, 03:06 PM

Child?!?
She turns her head with indignance to the frail woman. "I hear the truth of experience in your tone. Tell me, what exactly have you seen during your many years and what do you make of that traitor's tale?" There's a tiny patronizing inflection on the word 'many' should the woman be the kind to take insult easily.

Leostales
2021-07-15, 05:23 PM
Ruth

"These matters are not to be discussed lightly. Even a fool from the Fahrensteins knows that. If Reginmund's boy says it happened to him, it happened." She nods with this statement as thought she were reading it from a book she agreed with. "This place is improper for discussing dreams. If you wish to learn about them, meet me in the library's twilight hours." You remember now that this is Lady Ernaste Fichtenholtz, keeper of the library.

Lioslaith
2021-07-16, 06:50 AM
After about an hour Athelras grows weary of waiting and finds himself in the antechamber for the Lord Overseer's office waiting for the meeting.

miinstrel
2021-07-16, 09:03 AM

"Far from improper, Lady of Tomes... this court was built on dreams," she corrects. "Though perhaps a private conversation is more appropriate under the circumstances," Ruth adds, her eyes glancing toward the large door where the Overseer just exited. "Where the forgotten past reminds us what we know."

Ernaste seemed to know the name of every book in that building, and Ruth was confident she'd understand her meaning - the stairs down to the archival stacks were through a nondescript door at the back of the maps room. Several lights in the archives backlit a glass mosaic inlayed in the stone floor of the maps room depicting the lands and seas for hundreds of miles in every direction - with the library marked by a white star at the center.

Giving a bow of the head, Ruth steps away and plays a similarly innocent game of conversational dream fishing with others still in the chamber, careful to stay out of earshot of the old woman who had taken a keener interest in the topic than she anticipated. After testing the water with a few others, she leaves the chamber and finds a shadowy corner near the Overseer's office and flips through a small book, jotting notes now and then.

Leostales
2021-07-21, 10:54 PM
Ruth

"This court was built on willpower, child. And that is far more limited than dreams." Says Lady Ernaste. She leaves.

Two Hours Later

The Overseer's tower is not the tallest in The Final City, but certainly the tallest in its vicinity. Known as "The Torch," it looms over the city's level reserved for politicians. A flame nearly a story high blazes on top. A beacon that can be seen anywhere in the city. There is no line here. Admittance is by appointment only.

The Lord Death Knight's office is in the third highest floor. A long climb of stairs. Your feet ache when you reach the office door, guarded by two suits of animated armor. Both adorned in your Lord's coat of arms; a fiery sword stuck into the ground, forming lava-red cracks.

Inside the office is a large table surrounded by bookshelves, each filled with tomes and scrolls. On the back wall hangs a tapestry bearing the same coat of arms as the ones on the armor. Beneath the tapestry emblem hangs a hand-drawn map of the realm. It is a crude drawing, childlike in its simplifications. The west coast of the realm, the northern mountains, and the southern desert all form 3 quarters of a circle. No child would have visited all three locations, however. Perhaps its young artist tried copying a better map. There are no windows in the room.

The Lord Death Knight is clad in his signature helmet and leather armor. He is scraping blood off the breastplate he wore in court. His fiery eyes stare straight into yours, daring you to ask where the blood came from.

Whether or not you ask, he says nothing. A large scroll is grabbed from his shelf. He lays it out on the table. It is a map of the realm. Unlike the hand-drawn map, this one is exquisite in detail. No mountain or island is out of place. In the margins of the map are smaller maps of various cities in the realm, including The Final City. A signature on the bottom names the map's artist: The Overseer himself. Cartography is one of his passions.

After unfolding the map, he pulls out a drawer from underneath the table and dumps its contents on the map; dozens of painted pewter figurines. Without a word, he places on the map. His hands are steady, confident with each placement. He finishes by placing five figurines in the mini-map of The Final City. One of the figurines looks exactly like you.

When finished, he faces you and says, "All our enemies are dead or have acknowledged our sovereignity. The western pirates have retreated to their islands. The Crimson Order is completely demilitarized. My high vizier is forging our alliance with the Eastern Elves as we speak. We've won gentlemen, what the hell are we going to do now?"

Lioslaith
2021-07-23, 11:54 AM
As the others began to assemble in the antechamber to the Overseer's office they find Athelras already there and speaking to 4 others dressed similarly to him. All in blacks and leathers with varying degrees of subtle differences here and there. When the others enter the chamber 4 heads collectively turn to see your arrival and almost in unison they all step into the shadows and vanish. Athelras nods to the original group members and proceeds into the Overseer's office.

Standing quietly and unmoving Athelras watches the Overseer layout his maps and ask his question. "What is it you would like to see us do now? There are still pockets of resistance, and I cannot fathom why or how they keep trying. But since time is on our side they will eventually be dealt with. Perhaps it is time to reach beyond this continent. Put down the pirates, conquer the entire world? He throws these out as half hearted serious questions. Honestly not knowing what could be on the Overseer's mind.

Lord Foul
2021-07-24, 07:02 AM
Sariel merely raises an eyebrow in amusement at the blood and further amusement at his words and their slight incongruity with the bloodstain "and so iskandur wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer" she teases "you do realize being emperor can be a full time job if you let it be. We can impose whatever order we wish, shape the world to our desired image, reap the benefits of rulership. If that isn't enough you could find any number of hobbies, or we could find any number of other planes to invade, though that would be difficult, bottlenecking our forces and cutting them off from supply lines. Which would mean the primary thrust of that force, at least initially, would have to be your generals, which, If you invest too much in it would cause problems back home. Sending out ships to check for other lands over the ocean might be better in that regard..." Sariel says, getting lost down that logistical rabbit hole for a moment before shaking her head "regardless, it's amusing to hear that you had no plan going into this. Is this truly the first time you've thought of this?"

Lioslaith
2021-07-24, 07:12 AM
Athelras smiles as the angel gets lost in her musings. He quietly steps back and lets the others 'take the stage' as was his want to do.

JNAProductions
2021-07-24, 11:48 AM
Mask shrugs. "Whatever we want, I suppose. You've never really told us WHY you wanted to do this-I suppose safety might've been a reason, given that many would see you destroyed if they could."

miinstrel
2021-07-26, 09:26 AM

"This corner of the world may be the largest, but there are countless lands yet to experience your glory, my Lord. It would be wise to secure our hold on this realm before venturing to others," Vendru advises, stepping forward, her hands clasped loosely behind her back.

"And while we could support a front to conquer some of these other regions, our current domain is far from secure. Only the vocal enemies are dead - there are certainly others who would see you fail, silently waiting for an opportunity. For you to overextend. We should rout these delusions before they coalesce."

Leostales
2021-07-29, 04:39 PM
Sariel merely raises an eyebrow in amusement at the blood and further amusement at his words and their slight incongruity with the bloodstain "and so iskandur wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer" she teases "you do realize being emperor can be a full time job if you let it be. We can impose whatever order we wish, shape the world to our desired image, reap the benefits of rulership. If that isn't enough you could find any number of hobbies, or we could find any number of other planes to invade, though that would be difficult, bottlenecking our forces and cutting them off from supply lines. Which would mean the primary thrust of that force, at least initially, would have to be your generals, which, If you invest too much in it would cause problems back home. Sending out ships to check for other lands over the ocean might be better in that regard..." Sariel says, getting lost down that logistical rabbit hole for a moment before shaking her head "regardless, it's amusing to hear that you had no plan going into this. Is this truly the first time you've thought of this?"

"Impose what order we wish? Shape the world to our image? It's not made of drokking clay, Sariel. Tell me, have you ever conquered a world before?"

"This corner of the world may be the largest, but there are countless lands yet to experience your glory, my Lord. It would be wise to secure our hold on this realm before venturing to others," Vendru advises, stepping forward, her hands clasped loosely behind her back.

"And while we could support a front to conquer some of these other regions, our current domain is far from secure. Only the vocal enemies are dead - there are certainly others who would see you fail, silently waiting for an opportunity. For you to overextend. We should rout these delusions before they coalesce."

"Finally some common sense. I see why Redlodge likes you." He claps a friendly hand on Ruth's back, then seizes her wrist. His grip is painful even to someone like Vendruxithikil. "Spare the flattery when we're not in court. When the minions aren't watching, you give it to me straight." He releases Ruth, leaving marks on her hands. He then paces to the map.

"I'm satisfied with this realm. The lands beyond the desert are barren. The lands beyond the sea are irrelevant. Other planes... are other planes for a reason. We're not discussing our next conquest, we're discussing how to preserve our current one."

He gestures to locations on the map. "Yes, we have a healthy crop of enemies. I'm not worried. If they were a threat we would've known years ago." The Overseer picks up a figure of Waxface and crushes it. "Traitors don't concern me either. If you four tried to kill me, unarmed and isolated as I am now, I'd win. You're no threat to me, and you're the most powerful generals in my realm." He laughs at your reactions. "Please forgive me for being blunt, but I could kill you all with my bare hands. Right here, right now. I could even kill Redlodge if I had to. So bring on the rebellions, bring on the infighting, bring on the assassination attempts. They're irrelevant. I'll survive them." He takes a seat in his chair. "But there is a foe even I can't survive." He jabs a finger at the Final City's map. "Them. The people. The masses. 'Original Scum,' Redlodge calls them. They're always hungry, always sick, always killing each other. They'll worship anyone who claims they'll solve their problems, be they gods or politicians." He stands up and gestures toward you. "We have the rare privilege of being both."

"We must be careful. The only reason we're in charge is because they think we're their best option. Its only a matter of time before the fools think they can do better. When they do, they'll depose us. It may take ten years, it may take a thousand. It matters not, they'll win eventually. That which is perceived as progressive always defeats what is perceived as reactionary. It's the way of the world. Our only protection is by being our own successors, do you understand?

Lioslaith
2021-07-29, 05:17 PM
When the Overseer grabs Ruth, Athelras starts to move but checks himself, those paying attention would have only noticed a possible momentary shift as a living being would normally do. As boastful as the Death Knight was, Athelras was not so confident that he could handle the four of them.

"I have said before several times, the people are the problem. No matter how brutally or often we put down rebellion, it persists.

He stands quietly after his statement, watching the room carefully.

JNAProductions
2021-07-29, 06:49 PM
"I feel uniquely suited to this problem-if the people are killed en mass, they will rebel that much faster. If the people are simply forgotten..." Mask says. "No martyrs. No grieving families. Just steadily less and less people, until they're manageable."

Lord Foul
2021-07-30, 12:26 AM
"Personally? No I don't suppose I have. The celestial host are a purpose built sort, and conquering was not what I was made for, it was not until I left them behind that I took up the subject, though I do think myself a rather quick study there." She shrugs, apparently not particularly concerned there.
"I feel uniquely suited to this problem-if the people are killed en mass, they will rebel that much faster. If the people are simply forgotten..." Mask says. "No martyrs. No grieving families. Just steadily less and less people, until they're manageable."
Her posture stiffens at the fellow general's suggestion "An excellent way to deplete this worlds assets, removing the labor force and their value from this world and any other."

JNAProductions
2021-07-30, 09:13 PM
Her posture stiffens at the fellow general's suggestion "An excellent way to deplete this worlds assets, removing the labor force and their value from this world and any other."

"Golems work better. Hell, corpses work better, when animated."

miinstrel
2021-07-30, 11:25 PM

Ruth's eyes flare with momentary fear at the unexpected response. She holds the marked wrist in her other hand as he continues, the fear giving way to odium.

Responding to the others she adds, "They're manageable now if the previous dynasty was any indication. Too many yet remember the old world. The change we wrought is less than one of their generations old, and uncertainty breeds unrest." She gives a nod of agreement to Sariel. "Why not instead placate them with purpose? A shared goal to unite them and give their toil meaning. They're war weary, so a common foe won't do... It needs to be something uplifting, something to give them hope or pride without actual reward." She pauses in thought for the proper suggestion.

Leostales
2021-07-30, 11:34 PM
"Less and less until they're manageable," the Overseer whispers. He shakes his head and looks Mask in the eye. "I grew up in a small town - a pleasant place. Sort of cozy, you know? I worked for the mayor - did odd jobs. I was his boy. He was a kind man, cared about his people. During the war, he smuggled food past enemy lines; saved thousands, including me." He nods. "The people loved him and trusted him." As he speaks, the Overseer walks in Mask's direction, motioning with his hands.

"Then came a stranger, some man of the people. He told tales about how feeble the mayor was, how worthless, how corrupt. A week later, he disappeared." The Overseer is two feet from Mask. "My mayor did what was needed to protect his people, and there isn't even a statue, or a plaque, or a gravestone for him in that town!" The Overseer is one foot from Mask. "He drowned in his soup ten years after banishing the stranger. When I found out, I wasn't surprised. My mayor deserved a long and prosperous life, but I didn't avenge him. He made a mistake and I understood what he didn't: The people never forget." The Overseer finishes in a steady voice. His eyes blaze. He is 9 inches from Mask. "Do well to remember that." He slaps Mask's cheek guard lightly and turns back to the maps.

Lioslaith
2021-07-31, 04:51 PM
Athelras speaks quietly from his spot while watching the others. "Did you call us here to belittle our suggestions or do you have an actual plan in mind?"

Leostales
2021-07-31, 10:38 PM
"Lady Ruth seems to grasp the issue," says The Death Knight. He sits in a chair, his fingers interlocked. "War won't do, even if there was one to fight. We need a social issue. Something the people can get behind, feel good about. Something that we can look good helping without actually doing anything. I want to hear your suggestions." His eyes glimmer. "I may have an idea."

Lioslaith
2021-08-01, 05:24 AM
"Then by all means, please share it. I am more of a, how would you say, problem solver, than an idea person." Athelras steps back a bit and gets ready to listen. Hopefully he had put the overseer off the generals and onto another path.

Leostales
2021-08-01, 01:17 PM
"These will be short-term solutions. We'll need more than one idea."

Lioslaith
2021-08-02, 06:10 AM
“Sometimes when a solution isn’t immediately evident a short term fix can reveal a long term one.”

miinstrel
2021-08-03, 09:03 AM

Seizing the opportunity to shine in contrast to Athelras' ambivalence, Ruth chimes in, "A good deal of the city is still in shambles from the Great War. Perhaps a concerted effort to rebuild? We can put the nobles in charge of staffing and funding the project, overseen by Sariel and myself, but the vision and glory are reserved for you as the architect. And the people, of course," she snickers. "The trade guilds will love the work. The people will feel pride in the beautification. Call it... The Enrichment, or the start of a Gilded Age, or some other flowery prose to stir their hearts."

JNAProductions
2021-08-03, 09:43 AM
Perking up a little at this, Mask nods in agreement. "Something beautiful to look upon. The people will enjoy it-and it will keep them busy in their toils."

Lioslaith
2021-08-03, 09:46 AM
”As well as give the workers a common goal with which to unite and to bond together. Easy reasons to meet and get together to spread dissent and muster a rebellion as they work.”

Lord Foul
2021-08-05, 08:30 AM
Sariel scoffs "what, would you have the common folk not be productive? They'll work together on whatever tasks they are given, otherwise they'll have nothing to do but meet and gossip and ferment rebellion"

Leostales
2021-08-30, 08:37 PM
The Lord Death Knight's eyes glare at Ruth. "For the Final City, the war ended 10 years ago. I think you've an exaggerated sense of the damage done to it." He walks to a map of the city. "You weren't part of my siege, so you've no idea how drokking hard it was to damage these walls, these buildings. They're made of a material even our most powerful magics couldn't pierce." He takes a seat. "There've always been rudimentary structures built above the city's original architecture but the ones my army destroyed have been long replaced." He shrugs. "But the people are always in need of newer and shinier buildings. Gentrification can be a rewarding game, if played cautiously, mind you. Talk to Redlodge when he returns, Lady Ruth, he may wish to help you organize such an undertaking. In the meantime, I think there are better ways of regaining the masses' trust." He bids you to the map.

"The Final City is mostly repaired, but these locations..." he gestures to several cities. "...Were crippled by the war. They need aid. It was not my intention to deliver it so soon, but your eager approach to industrialization may be just what they need." He places the figurines representing the four of you on the city of Hothen. A coastal town not far from the Eastern Desert.

"Hothen is a strategically important city. If we lose its loyalty, we lose our trade route to the Eastern Elves. A war with them would set the cause back 5 years."

He points to Sariel. "I want you to secure the raw materials for repairing their cities. Don't worry about finances, we'll deal with that after we've finished."

He points to Ruth. "You will be the public face of our renovation. Attend parties, dinners, fundraisers, or simply threaten anyone who gets in our way. It makes no difference to me, just so long as we all look good in the end."

He points to Athelras and Mask, "You two are in charge of the project's security. I want you to investigate Hothen's loyalty. My spies have given me conflicting reports. Find out which is right and which needs to be executed."

He turns to face the four of you. "Any questions?"

Lioslaith
2021-08-31, 06:06 AM
At Helen’s nods at the orders, “I would speak with your spies to see what information we are trying to corroborate. Thank you.”

miinstrel
2021-09-03, 09:08 AM

Ruth flashes a devilish smile. "With a little luck they'll pay for it entirely on their own. When is Redlodge expected back?"

Leostales
2021-09-04, 11:02 AM
At Helen’s nods at the orders, “I would speak with your spies to see what information we are trying to corroborate. Thank you.”

"They'll contact you when you arrive in Hothen. Ask them to show their seal." The Death Knight chuckles at the word.

Ruth flashes a devilish smile. "With a little luck they'll pay for it entirely on their own. When is Redlodge expected back?"

"The Eastern Elves are prickly creatures. Every envoy we sent never returned. Redlodge always said interacting with them was a bad idea. Forging an alliance will be... time-consuming, to say the least." He shrugs. "Redlodge says everything's going according to plan. If it takes him ten years, he'll return with an alliance." He laughs. "But don't worry, I expect it will take shorter than that."

Lioslaith
2021-09-04, 11:40 AM
Athelras nods and takes his leave, glad to be out of the death knights presence.

Leostales
2021-09-11, 08:47 PM
"You shall leave on the seventh day from now. Until you return from your journey, you will be relieved of your title as Lord Vizier. If you wish to bring any of your... associates with you, I shall relieve them of their normal duties too. You are dismissed gentlemen." He waves his hand and turns back to his desk. In the corner of your eye, he opens a letter, reads it.

Ruth passes through the doors. Athelras passes through the doors. Sariel passes through the doors. Mask walks through the door. The Overseer beckons to him. "Mask?"

"Yes, Overseer?" he asks in his usual, contemptuous voice.

"I would have words with you."

Mask glances back at you before turning back to the overseer. "About what?" His voice is now neutral.

The Overseer gestures to the Animated Armor guards. "Close the door," he says. Mask looks back at you one last time as the door closes.

You no longer have any memory of the individual known as "Mask." Any and all actions taken by him are either wiped from memory or replaced with someone else.