PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Does immunity to a Greater Scrying give you immunity to its lesser version?

SourisRouge
2021-07-12, 10:42 PM
I'm playing a race from Magic of Incarnum with a soulmeld of the Spellward Shirt, whose bonus ability if bound to the heart Chakra is to gain immunity to any 4 spells of 6th level or under. My question is this; If I were to choose for example, immunity to Greater Scrying would I also gain immunity to the orginal/ lesser version of Scrying? My DM and I weren't sure and I can't seem to find an answer online, my DMs initial instinct is no but he told me to look into it. We're in character creation so there's no rush for DM ruling if we can find RAW. Thanks for your help!

Crake
2021-07-12, 10:55 PM
By strict RAW (rules as written) the answer would be no, though I don't think it would be unreasonable to rule otherwise.

St Fan
2021-07-14, 04:21 AM
An immunity to a specific spell is different from the usual wide-range immunity to spells and/or effects of a similar type.

The closest case that the rules cover already would be the spell immunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellImmunity.htm) abjuration, which clearly spells it out:

Only a particular spell can be protected against, not a certain domain or school of spells or a group of spells that are similar in effect.

JoeNapalm
2021-07-14, 09:52 AM
I would agree with the above that RAW, probably no...

...But as a DM, I'd probably give it to you.

The fact that it's even a question is because it makes sense that it would work that way, and it makes it sort of useless if it doesn't (anyone capable of Greater can likely manage Lesser).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Tzardok
2021-07-14, 10:02 AM
On the other hand, I could imagine a fluff justification why it wouldn't protect. The Protection against Greater Scrying is strong, but has holes through which the lesser variant can slip. The Protection against Scrying is tight, but not strong enough to not be pierced by the greater variant.

denthor
2021-07-14, 11:09 AM
To powerful. ESP spell is in a sense a scrying spell.
You would also become immune to augury spell. Not mention if you get separated from the group they could not use locate object to find you by a specific piece of equipment or a crystal ball.

All in all the effect, why it seems like a benefit would really just become a problem for the group.

denthor
2021-07-14, 11:10 AM
To powerful. ESP spell is in a sense a scrying spell.
You would also become immune to augury spell. Not mention if you get separated from the group they could not use locate object to find you by a specific piece of equipment or a crystal ball.

All in all the effect, why it seems like a benefit would really just become a problem for the group and you if you ever got separated in a city environment or lost in mountains.

bekeleven
2021-07-16, 12:45 PM
I'd be more likely to rule the opposite. Greater Scrying says "as scrying, but..." so if you can't be scried, can you be greater scried?

I mean, I'd still probably say no. But it's a more hesitant no with some textual wiggle room.

JoeNapalm
2021-07-20, 10:24 AM
PHB 181 describes Spell Chains.

Specifically, it states that a Lesser version is the spell that a Greater version is based on.

Aside from it rendering the ability useless (as stated above), it is hard to argue that immunity to Greater Scrying would still leave you vulnerable to Lesser Scrying as it is simply a more powerful version of the very same spell.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist