PDA

View Full Version : Old School Eberron in ADnD 2nd Ed

oxybe
2021-07-13, 02:28 AM
So I mentioned about a week ago in the General RP section an idea for an Eberron X Ravenloft ADnD 2nd ed game but found the available materials... lacking.

Which makes sense. Eberron is very much a product of 3.5 and I don't remember there being a huge demand for backporting it into older editions at that time, doubly so a crossover with Ravenloft. fast forward 2 editions later...

So I did some digging and I've found a homebrew 1e Artificer I reworked a bit and I've also roughly sketched out Dragonmarks as NWPs (these were basically CTRL C+V from the eberron core book so i'm likely going to need to tweak a few things). I couldn't locate warforged, shifter and changeling analogs for 2nd ed so I've hammered out a few rough drafts for them with what little i could find but they seem rather op compared to the base races so i'd like a second or maybe third opinion.

My next steps would be to work on the specialty priests (shudder. This is the one thing I dread doing the most. then again, i'm not a huge fan of the cleric so my enthusiasm towards this task is... lacking). I'm also debating doing specialty NWPs to give warforged their heavy/light armour equivalents and shifting improvements for shifters.

Artificer
Hit Die Type: d6 (max 10).
Alignment: Any.
Minimum Scores: Intelligence 12 and Constitution 15.
Exp Bonus: +10% for over 16 Int.
Armor/Shield: none.
Weapons: dagger, crossbow, club, quarterstaff, dart, knife, and sling.
Proficiencies: As wizard

Infusions: Artificers don’t cast spells as a normal wizard would. Instead they infuse an item or construct (including the likes of golems and homunculi) with the spell. For example, a dart might be infused with magic missile, an ally’s plate mail with bull’s strength or a javelin with fireball. These infusions can be dispelled like any other magical effect, don’t work in an area of antimagic, and while imbuing they can be disrupted.

Infused items normally have their effect go off upon completing the spell, but an Artificier can choose to have the item hold the spell for 8 hours or until the Artificer allows it’s use through remotely repeating the same verbal and somatic component of the spell.

This would allow an Artificer to infuse a Theif’s gloves with a casting of spiderclimb earlier in the day. A couple of hours later, the Theif fails a check and falls into a pit trap. The Artificer can then repeat the verbal and somatic components and have the effect begin, even though the Theif isn’t within touch range for the spell, as it was already pre-infused in the gloves.

Magewright: at level 3 Artificers can pen magic scrolls and at level 5 brew potions. starting at level 7 they can begin work on wondrous (aka “miscellaneous”) magic items. at level 9 they can forge magical weapons and armour. finally at level 11 they can craft magical staves, rods & wands.

Skills: Artificers can open locks and find/disable traps as a Theif. When they gain a level, they get 10 points to put between the 2 skills as they please.

Craft Homunculi: at level 4 Artificiers can begin work on a homunculi, a helpful aid and artificial creature of their making. to make a homunculi costs dgp of materials to craft the special solution that will hold the maturing homunculi, which includes a pint of the Artificier’s blood. When the materials are gathered, It takes 1-4 weeks of work to prepare the solution, where the spells Wizard Eye, Mending, Mirror Image are cast to begin breathing life into the creature, which immediately begins forming as the blood and components coagulate and mix together. These spells can be cast from a scroll but it does ultimately require the Artificer to cast them.

An Artificer can prepare the solution necessary for the creation of another spellcaster's homonculi, but the blood given must be from the mage that it will be bound to, as well as that mage needs to be the one that casts the spells.

Spellcasting: Artificers pick and prepare spells from the wizard spell list, but have the bard's spell progression. As a wizard, they can also learn spells by copying them from scrolls or captured spellbooks, as well as independent study, as long as they haven’t reached the maximum allowed spells known per level. Any spell learned is copied into their personal spellbook.

Attribute Modifiers
Constitution +1
Charisma -1

Benefits:
Natural AC of 5
Immune to sleep, poison, and disease
Immune to Charm Person and other spells that target "Persons" (but not spells that target Monsters or Golems)
Immune to Fatigue and Energy Drain
Do not need to Eat, Sleep, or Breathe (still must rest for an appropriate amount of time to regain spells).

Drawbacks:
Cannot wear armor (natural armor does not interfere with casting).
Receive only half benefit from Cure X Wounds spells (rounded down)
Do not heal naturally, but may be healed by a smith at 10gp/HP and no more than 3 HP/Day. A Mending spell recovers 1 HP/level of the caster.
Vulnerable to Rust Monster attacks, taking 1hp/level/touch (so a 10th level Warforged will take 10 HP per touch of a rust monster), to a minimum of 1 HP/level (so a 10th level Warforged cannot be brought below 10 HP by a rust monster)
Take damage from spells that affect metal and wood.
Warforged are very heavy; while human in height, most are 300-400 pounds.

Level Limits
Cleric 12
Fighter 16
Magic-User 8
Thief 15

Thief Skill Modifiers
PP -10
OL -5
FRT -5
MS -15
HS -5
CW +15
DN +10
RL +5

Attribute Modifiers
Strength -1
Charisma +1

Benefits:
50% resistance to sleep and charm-related spells. this is in addition to the normal saving throw allowed for the spells.

Shapechange: This ability lets the changeling alter their form (this does not include clothing or equipment) to appear taller or shorter, thin, fat or inbetween, human, humanoid or any other generally man-shaped bipedal creature. Their body can undergo a limited physical alteration and their size can be changed up to 50%. This doesn’t allow them extra movement forms like flight or better swimming that the assumed form would normally have. It also doesn’t allow them to breathe underwater even if the new form would be able to. They don’t gain any multiple attack routines or additional damage allowed to the form. True seeing and similar spells reveal the natural form. The changeling returns to their natural form when killed

Level Limits
Cleric 8
Fighter 8
Magic-User 10
Illusionist/enchanter 12
Thief 16

Thief Skill Modifiers
PP +5
OL --
FRT --
MS +5
HS +5
CW -10
DN --
RL +5

Attribute Modifiers
Charisma -1

Benefits:
Heritage: Each shifter comes from one of 6 different heritages. These change their base stats and give them an additional ability when shifting.
Longtooth +1 Str, additional bite attack each round that deals 1d6+ 1 extra damage for each 3 levels
Razorclaw +1 Str, 2 additional claw attacks that deal 1d4
Beasthide +1 Con, -2 AC when shifting
Wildhunt +1 Con, increased sense of smell and can more accurately identify familiar odors, can detect enemies within 30ft. doubled when their target is upwind and halved when they’re downwind. particularly strong and overpowering smells double and triple the range and can be used to mask weaker smells. the exact location of a scent isn’t revealed, it takes a move action to focus and find the direction. when you’re within 5ft of it, the location is pinpointed,
Cliffwalk +1 Dex, can climb at half their move speed
Longstrider +1 Dex, +10 movement speed

Shifting: You can shift and gain the additional ability from your heritage for a number of rounds equal to your constitution score. To shift, you must spend a round focusing on bringing out your inner beast, and you can willingly end the shift anytime during your turn. These rounds need not be consecutive and can be broken up and used throughout the day. It takes a full night’s rest to regain uses of this ability

Infravision 60ft

Level Limits
Cleric 8
Fighter 16
Magic-User 8
Thief 12

Thief Skill Modifiers
PP -5
OL --
FRT --
MS +10
HS +5
CW +5
DN --
RL -5

New Spells:

Repair Light Damage (Transmutation), Reversible
Level: Wizard 1, Artificier 1
Components: V, S
Range: Touch.
AoE: 1 Construct or Golem
Save: none.
Casting Time : 1

When casting this spell and laying their hands upon a Construct or Golem with at least 1 hit point remaining (or within death’s door if used), you transmute it’s structure to repair 1d8 points of damage it has taken.
The reverse of this spell, Cause Light Damage operates in the same manner, transmuting the structure to inflict 1d8 points of damage. if a creature is avoiding this touch, and attack roll is needed to determine if the caster’s hand strikes the opponent and causes such a wound.

Repair Serious Damage (Transmutation), Reversible
Level: Wizard 4, Artificier 3
Components: V, S
Range: Touch.
AoE: 1 Construct or Golem
Save: none.
Casting Time : 7

This spell is a more potent version of the Repair Light Damage spell. When casting this spell and laying their hands upon a Construct or Golem with at least 1 hit point remaining (or within death’s door if used), you transmute it’s structure to repair 2d8+1 points of damage it has taken.
The reverse of this spell, Cause Serious Damage operates similarly to the Cause Light Damage spell, the target needing to be touched first. If the touch is successful, 2d8+1 points of damage is inflicted.

A least dragonmark is a general NWP that costs 2 slots.
A lesser dragonmark is a 1 slot NWP and requires level 3
A greater dragonmark is a 1 slot NWP and requires level 9

Mark of Detection
Least- Detect Magic or Detect Poison 2/day
Lesser- Detect Scrying or See Invis 1/day
Greater- True Seeing 1/day

Mark of Finding
Least- Identify 1/day, know direction 2/day or locate object 1/day
Lesser- helping hand or locate creature 1/day
Greater- find the path 1/day

Mark of Handling
Least- calm animal, charm animal or speak with animal 1/day
Lesser- dominate animal or greater magic fang 1/day
Greater-animal growth or summon nature’s ally V 1/day

Mark of Healing
Least- cure light wounds or lesser restoration 1/day
Lesser- cure serious wounds, neutralize poison, restoration or remove disease 1/day
Greater- heal 1/day

Mark of Hospitality
Least- purify food & drink 2/day, prestidigitation 2/day or unseen servant 1/day
Lesser- create food and water or secure shelter 1/day
Greater- heroes feast or magnificent mansion 1/day

Mark of Making
Least- make whole 1/day, mending 2/day or repair light damage 1/day
Lesser- minor creation or repair serious damage 1/day
Greater- fabricate or major creation 1/day

Mark of Passage
Least- expeditious retreat, mount or dimension leap 1/day
Lesser- dimension door or phantom steed 1/day
Greater- overland flight or teleport 1/day

Mark of Scribing
Least- arcane mark 2/day, comprehend languages 1/day or whispering wind 1/day
Lesser- illusory script, secret page or tongues 1/day
Greater- sending 1/day

Mark of Sentinel
Least- armour, protection from arrows, shield of faith or shield 1/day
Lesser- protection from energy or minor globe of invulnerability 1/day
Greater- globe of invulnerability 1/day

Mark of Shadow
Least- darkness, disguise self or minor image 1/day
Lesser- clairaudience/clairvoyance or shadow monsters 1/day
Greater- mislead, prying eyes or shadow walk 1/day

Mark of Storm
Least- endure elements, fog cloud or gust of wind 1/day
Lesser- sleet storm or wind wall 1/day
Greater- control winds or control weather 1/day

Mark of Warding
Least- alarm, hold portal, fire trap or misdirection 1/day
Lesser- explosive runes, glyph of warding or nondetection 1/day
Greater- faithful hound, greater glyph of warding or guards and wards 1/day

LibraryOgre
2021-07-13, 01:04 PM
I always find "Warforged are very heavy; they're human in height, but 300-400#".

Like, I'm a tall human, but I'm 300-400#.

FWIW, my version of AD&D Warforged:

https://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2019/10/ad-warforged.html

oxybe
2021-07-13, 03:23 PM
I always find "Warforged are very heavy; they're human in height, but 300-400#".

Like, I'm a tall human, but I'm 300-400#.

FWIW, my version of AD&D Warforged:

https://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2019/10/ad-warforged.html

I double checked and I'm pretty sure that's the one i grabbed the warforged stuff from for my first draft, or at least a copy someone made from yours in their draft. I kinda went all over the place in forums and archives to find stuff in the past week.

Caelestion
2021-07-13, 04:17 PM
Even a human who's 6 ft 6 tall would be on the decidedly heavy side at 21 stone (300 lbs). I'd expect a Warforged to be even heavier than that, but not a human.