PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Help needed with Zelda-themed dungeon.

DracoDei
2021-07-13, 08:47 PM
Right, so I'm running an ongoing campaign that has a rather bizzare mix of "moods" to it.

Two examples:
1.) A groan-inducing pun for the name of a villain who did something so disgusting that the player in question elected to have an entire sick-ward vomiting when reminded of it, even the non-victims.

2.) Races that do not lack for technological ambition, yet are vegetarians who are closer to nature than most setting's elves, verging on being nature spirits... so much so that the leather layers of most of the PCs armor is made out of the skins of members of their own species who died of older age, disease, accident, etc.

We are currently at ECL 7, but all the PC-acceptable races are LA +1, so only 6 class levels for most of them (one players build was sufficiently underpowered for roleplay reasons that I dropped the LA for him).

I'm doing a side-quest into an alternate dimension based on Legend of Zelda, but most everything being vegetable-puns. The "demons" that Onion-dorf summons and commands are the evil-aligned herbivores and omnivores from other plains.

Also, Leek (Link) an company are in deep trouble and only the fact that Princess Zoysia(Zelda)'s worthiness to bear the Triforce of Wisdom has let them survive this long against an Onion-dorf who is canny enough to have, in effect, read "The Evil Overlord's List", if not "The Art of War".

I'm definitely thinking more of a "Breath of the Wild" feel than other entries in the series.

Anyway, the LoZ crew won't trust the heroes enough to allow them to remain near, but will tell them they can prove their good intentions by bringing the maguffin from one of the shrines that Onion-dorf took over. Even getting there without getting caught would be nearly impossible without getting an army responding to their intrusion, except that they will be ignored because "Herbavores not made out of plants, thus must be a minion" will get them ignored on the roads, but NOT in the dungeons (unless they can somehow forge passes?).

I am lacking in both inspiration and a TRUE love for LoZ. Therefore, I need some ideas/factors to be sure to include (both emotional and/or environmental AND mechanical) for a shrine with a Moldorm as the boss monster, that Onion-dorf had fortified with his minions to the best of their ability, and was never "puzzle themed" to begin with. Something that would probably take the Hook-Shot to navigate would be a bonus and even then would be controller-destroyingly difficult (since hookshots are known to exist, the defenders have preparations to counter them), because several of the PCs can fly, and loftwings don't exist in this setting.

To re-emphasize the spin I want to put on the mechanical feel: For what is at the bottom the drop that the Moldorm will be trying to knock them into, I am currently thinking broken glass sticking 3 inches out of a 1 inch deep pool of hydrochloric acid* all kept scalding hot by a hypocaust-like heating system below.
*Sulfuric would be too great a health-hazard from fumes.

Vaern
2021-07-17, 10:47 AM
I don't know much about dungeon design, but if you want some Zelda-themed loot you may want to have a look at a few homebrew items (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?553969-1001-Homebrew-Magic-Items&p=25093248#post25093248) that I wrote up a few weeks back while playing through A Link to the Past. I think the market price on the lantern and the Book of Mudora should make them reasonable loot for a level 7 party.

DracoDei
2021-07-20, 10:28 PM
I don't know much about dungeon design, but if you want some Zelda-themed loot you may want to have a look at a few homebrew items (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?553969-1001-Homebrew-Magic-Items&p=25093248#post25093248) that I wrote up a few weeks back while playing through A Link to the Past. I think the market price on the lantern and the Book of Mudora should make them reasonable loot for a level 7 party.
Hmmm... Nice, but I am sorry to say I don't think it LIKELY that my Link would be able to spare any of those he might have. I do already have one joke(but still effective) item I intend to give them. Might do the hammer since one of them can almost certainly hit the required strength score for one round a day... I'd have to think about it.

Dienekes
2021-07-21, 08:48 AM
Huh, this seems fun.

So we have a Zelda themed world that is also about vegetables? And you want the Dungeon Boss to be like Moldorm and knock people down into something.

Ok, what I would do with those points is essentially base it on one of the most infamous of the temple designs in Zelda, the Water Temples. Somewhere in this dungeon, preferably near the beginning you'll find some means of changing where the water is distributed through a series of pipes. Essentially making the entire dungeon some kind of irrigation system to grow vegetables. But the pipes are blocked by something. As you explore through the dungeon you unblock the pipes and can distribute the water in various ways to unlock different parts of the dungeon.

Sometime throughout their exploration they will find a room with a metal ceiling just full of fire. They can try to take the fire out, and if they do, there might be an item or something they can run in and grab. But importantly, the fire just restarts in a few seconds.

To get to the boss they have to work through the various parts of the dungeon, breaking the clogs, distributing the water so the plants are all given some water, but not drowned. And the excess water is being piped off somewhere. When they go fight the boss they can look down they can feel the heat coming from below them. They will find that the metal ceiling above the fire is actually a giant pop now filled with scalding water to make a soup of any of the vegetables that fall down.

DracoDei
2021-07-23, 11:58 PM
Dienekes:

So basically, what I can take from what you said is: make it VERY obvious that there USED to be puzzles before Oniondorf's army smashed them to make the place more defensible?

Huh, this seems fun.
I omitted this from the original post as irrelevant distraction: this a dimensional side-trip for our party of Little Ponies. If this still interests you, see my Sig for further details on the campaign. Contact me on Discord if interested.

EDIT: Come to that I MIGHT even let you play a native of this plane, thus giving you an excuse to leave the campaign if you JUST wanted to play while they are in the "Legend of Zoysia (Princess of the Hay-lians)" dimension/adventure. You could be mechanically human (made out of... I dunno... garbanzo beans or something...) or an elf (AKA Haylian/Hylian), OR a more customized feeling creature, such as the most common of the common-folk, the "lowly" Peas-Ant (use Formorian worker stats?).