PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of evil Mojo in a location

nickl_2000
2021-07-14, 10:23 AM
Say you were buying a warehouse where there was a basement/dungeon was a religious site to an evil religious cult and you want to make the space into a safe place for an orphanage. Any in game spells that would get rid of the evil mojo in the place and make it a place for good?

I know there is the 5th level spell Hallow. Anything else?

jjordan
2021-07-14, 10:30 AM
Say you were buying a warehouse where there was a basement/dungeon was a religious site to an evil religious cult and you want to make the space into a safe place for an orphanage. Any in game spells that would get rid of the evil mojo in the place and make it a place for good?

I know there is the 5th level spell Hallow. Anything else?Holy water. 1 vial per 10 square feet.

Sigreid
2021-07-14, 10:33 AM
This seems to be one of the key things the Hallow spell is meant for.

Kvess
2021-07-14, 10:38 AM
If the evil Mojo itself was caused by the Hallow spell, say by dedicating the area to an evil god, the effect can be dispelled.

MrStabby
2021-07-14, 10:40 AM
Yeah, dispel magic. I would also prefer remove curse as an option.

nickl_2000
2021-07-14, 10:42 AM
There wasn't a Hallow spell used (as far as I know), but there was an IG ritual to dedicate the temple with blood sacrifices. So, I don't think dispel magic will work, but I can give that one a shot to try soon.

Lord Vukodlak
2021-07-14, 10:42 AM

I know there is the 5th level spell Hallow. Anything else?

DM flat. Usually it wouldn’t be done with a spell but by some story trigger. Destroy the evil idol or some other source of the evil mojo.
For instance in one adventure I’m crafting deals with a haunted village. During a harvest festival the village was attacked by monsters many villagers died along with an adventuring/bardic troup who’d come to perform at the festival.

The evil mojo is cleansed by the PCs recovering the instruments of ghostly bardic troupe. Allowing the band to put in the concert which cleanses the mojo.

Waterdeep Merch
2021-07-14, 02:52 PM
What, you don't want to do a haunted orphanage adventure later?

See if your DM will let you use the ceremony spell. This is not something the spell normally does at all, but dedicating a place to a new god seems to be in line with the sort of things it covers.

Have you considered asking for help from a local church you trust? If you explain your intentions they might even help for free.

nickl_2000
2021-07-14, 03:01 PM
What, you don't want to do a haunted orphanage adventure later?

See if your DM will let you use the ceremony spell. This is not something the spell normally does at all, but dedicating a place to a new god seems to be in line with the sort of things it covers.

Have you considered asking for help from a local church you trust? If you explain your intentions they might even help for free.

Yup, that is one thing I plan on doing. We have a local cleric that we have a good relationship with (we have done work quests for him multiple times). I also have a Paladin with level 2 spells accessable in the party who would be willing to do it if the DM allows it.

And yes, now I want to do a haunted orphanage adventure later!

Seclora
2021-07-15, 07:33 AM
Investigate for any objects or indicators that might be the focal point of the Evil, contain, destroy, or cleanse them. I like Dispel Evil and Good for cleansing, since you can potentially remove possessions even, but Dispel Magic and Remove Curse are also good spells to draw from. For containment, I advise speaking with your local clergy, who might know a guy, or your local non-evil arcanist, who might work in a pinch. For Destruction, try divine smite, this is what you have smite for.

If you remove any focal points, or fail to find them, I suggest spending a night at the location. It's spooky, but if there's a ghost, demonic presence, or possible cult activity, they will absolutely show up to mess with you while you are unarmed and unconscious. Have your least sleepy/perceptive friend stay on watch, and they can sleep during the day. You are creating a trap for ambushers, this is when you can use glyph of warding and all the Alarm and Snare spells your Abjurer or Ranger never gets to use.

If you can sleep for a week in the location without being attacked, congratulations! Find a scroll of Hallow or a cleric who can cast it for you, and then drop that bad boy on your new Orphanarium. If it wasn't going to mess with you at your most vulnerable, it sure as heck isn't going to mess with that. Specify a creature type to exclude if you're still nervous. I suggest Undead or Fiends if you don't have a particular enemy type you're worried about. And if that's not enough, try a strict no dolls policy for your orphans.