PDA

View Full Version : New Book: Fizban's Treasury of Dragons

Sam113097
2021-07-14, 01:15 PM
"Well folks, it appears the D&D Beyond code has granted us not only access to the new D&D book's title, but also an image of the front cover. Fizban's Treasury of Dragons appears to be the newest D&D book that will be announced at D&D live 2021 this Friday (or likely leaked on Amazon sometime before then). More information to come as news releases..."

Link to Video and Leaked Cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-gvLfO-5Ww

Leaked Cover Image: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/824769364749189151/864934080789741568/wTc52TxFGp4GB7eV422Al5sBkzLInYzSUlE2OS5YpXs.jpg

Official Wizards of the Coast Product Page:
https://dnd.wizards.com/products/treasury-dragons
Fizban's Treasury of Dragons

Straight from the Dragon's Mouth

Discover how dragons embody magic across the worlds of D&D and how you can bring them to life at your table in this quintessential reference guide for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Meet Fizban the Fabulous: doddering archmage, unlikely hero of the War of the Lance, divine avatar of a dragon-god—and your guide to the mysteries of dragonkind in the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons.

What is the difference between a red dragon and a gold dragon? What is dragonsight? How does the magic that suffuses dragons impact the world around them? Here is your comprehensive guide to dragons, filled with the tips and tools Dungeon Masters and players need for their encounters with these dangerous magical creatures.

Dragonslayers and dragon scholars alike will appreciate the new dragon-themed options for players eager to harness the power of dragon magic and create unique and memorable draconic characters. Dungeon Masters will discover a rich hoard of new tools and information for designing dragon-themed encounters, adventures, and campaigns. Discover a host of new dragons and other creatures. Learn about the lairs and hoards of each type of dragon, and how hoards focus the magic that suffuses dragons and connects them to the myriad worlds of the Material Plane. Discover everything there is to know about the most iconic monsters of D&D with help from Fizban, your expert advisor on dragonkind!

Introduces gem dragons to fifth edition!
Reveals the story of the First World and the role Bahamut and Tiamat played in its creation and destruction.
Adds new player character options, including unique draconic ancestries for dragonborn, dragon-themed subclasses for monks and rangers, and new feat and spell options.
Offers everything a Dungeon Master needs to craft adventures inspired by dragons across the worlds of D&D, with new dragon lair maps and details on 20 different kinds of dragons.
Presents a complete dragon bestiary and introduces a variety of new dragons and dragon-related creatures, including aspects of the dragon gods, dragon minions, and more.

Additional information and chapter-by-chapter content breakdown from Dragon+ Magazine:
https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2021/07/18/in-the-works-fizbans-treasury-dragons/content.html
"You might think that the standard collective noun for dragons is either a flight of dragons, a weyr of dragons, a school of dragons, or a wing of dragons. Well, Fizban the Fabulous has so much valuable information to share with you about these unique creatures that “treasury” of dragons is the only description that properly captures it. Because once you begin to measure the impact dragons have on D&D, you realize they touch every facet of the game. Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons is comparable to Volo’s Guide to Monsters or Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes, as it brings together a combination of lore and monster material,” Project Lead James Wyatt tells Dragon+. “This source book contains the revised dragonborn races, feats, and spells that we previewed in Unearthed Arcana, as well as magic items, a deeper dive into the Monster Manual dragons, dragon adjacent monsters, lair maps, and various tables to help you generate adventure ideas."

"This major update of everything draconic also introduces the idea that dragons are creatures of the multiverse. James reveals that every dragon on every world in the material plane has echoes on other worlds. When one of these creatures learns to develop their dragon sight and make contact with those echoes, it can unite them from across different worlds and absorb their power. At that point the dragon becomes a mythic creature and one of the greatwyrms."

“We want to inspire DMs to think about the action of a campaign as transcending a single world of the material plane. For example, when a dragon becomes a dracolich it has repercussions on all the echoes of that dragon,” he says.

“Dragons such as Chronepsis or Aasterinian—who were identified as dragon gods in past editions of the game—are greatwyrms who have transcended the limitations of a single world in the material plane and united their energies across multiple worlds to become more godlike.”

James was kind enough to take us through Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons, chapter by chapter, showing the phenomenal influence these creatures have on Dungeons & Dragons.

Chapter One
“Following the introduction, Chapter One contains character options and is where you’ll find the revised dragonborn races, as well as the Way of the Ascendent Dragon monk and the Drakewarden ranger subclasses from previous Unearthed Arcana releases.

“Some of the feedback on the dragon subclasses said, ‘I want a dragon-flavored blank’ where blank is just about any other class in the Player’s Handbook. There’s a limit to the amount we can provide so we’ve included a table to spur players’ imaginations and help give any character they’re playing some dragon flavor.

“If you want a dragon-themed warlock, for example, you could play an archfey warlock whose patron is a moonstone dragon, a new kind of dragon that’s tied to the Feywild. If you want a dragon cleric, you can take any domain and worship Bahamut or Tiamat to add that dragon flavor. Maybe you’re from Eberron and have a dragonmark. Or you might decide that you gained your powers when you found a dragon claw that you now use as your spellcasting focus.”

Chapter Two
“The second chapter contains a handful of new spells, most of which we previewed in Unearthed Arcana. It also contains new magic items that have ties to dragons.

“If DMs and players really embrace this book then they’re going to be seeing a lot of dragons in their campaigns. One new concept we introduce here is hoard items. These are magic items that become more powerful when they’re steeped in a dragon’s hoard.

“If you find an item in a blue wyrmling’s hoard, for example, and then several levels later you use that item to kill an adult red dragon and you steep it in that hoard, it may become more powerful because it’s the hoard of an adult dragon. The item might also change its characteristics slightly, because it’s been affected by a red dragon’s magic instead of a blue dragon.”

Chapter Three
“This chapter is aimed at the Dungeon Master and is all about building dragons as unique characters—both in terms of personality and mechanical tweaks. We also look at how you can build encounters, adventures, and entire campaigns around dragons. This includes a whole bunch of tables that are a great way to quickly share a lot of really dense story ideas. We hope that these tiny nuggets spark inspiration in a DM’s brain.

“This is primarily a mainstream D&D book but we do give a very brief nod in the direction of Tarkir, which is Magic: The Gathering‘s dragon world, as well as Dragonlance. We also reference the second edition Council of Wyrms setting, which was another world that was built around dragons.

“The Council of Wyrms was a string of isles that were ruled by a bunch of different dragon clans. Their council gave the setting its name and in Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons we discuss different ways you might build a setting like that with dragons as major players.”

Chapter Four
“In this chapter we focus on lairs and hoards. This book embraces the D&D multiverse and talks about dragons as the quintessential creatures of the material plane. Bahamut and Tiamat created the material plane, so dragon essence is fundamentally tied to it. That explains why when a dragon creates its lair, it becomes a sort of magical nexus as the dragon’s essence seeps into the surrounding area and regional effects are created.

“We include some new regional effects, a couple of new lair actions that are tied to specific lair maps we include in the next chapter, as well as tables to help generate cool and interesting hoards. You’ll find a few other brand-new lair options later in the book, such as when we’re discussing amethyst dragons in Chapter Five and as part of certain monster entries in Chapter Six.”

Chapter Five
“Chapter Five makes up a third of the book and takes an in-depth look at each kind of dragon. By highlighting a dragon’s personality traits, ideals, and other creatures that might associate with them, we help you build a storyline around them.

“One of the guiding principles of this book is show don’t tell. We could simply tell you about the personality of brass dragons, but if we give you a bunch of tables that show you their personality traits and put words into that brass dragon’s mouth, that’s more effective. That might include objects that the brass dragon has a relationship with—maybe it has conversations with a bust of a philosopher that it calls Leonard!

“We also look at alignment. For example, chromatic dragons are typically evil, so can there ever be a good black dragon? The beauty of the word ‘typically’ is that there’s always the possibility. Each entry in this chapter starts with a table of personality traits and a table of ideals. And the final entry on the table of ideals is always something that’s dramatically outside the norm for that dragon’s alignment as we wanted to make the point that typically does mean typically, not always.”

Chapter Six
“This is the bestiary chapter, which makes up almost a third of the book. A revised version of the sapphire dragon is listed here, alongside the rest of the gem dragon family: amethyst, crystal, emerald, and topaz. It also includes stats for deep dragons, and moonstone dragons, as well as dragonborn champions, humanoid dragon servitors, and various other dragon-adjacent creatures. We also include stats for aspects of Bahamut and Tiamat.

“I have a fondness for dragon turtles and we’ve included additional age categories for those creatures. The dragon turtle in the Monster Manual breaks the pattern for size categories because it’s one size larger than an adult dragon. We’ve decided that’s an adult dragon turtle and have created some younger version scaled down from that. But the ancient dragon turtle is a monster.

“We’ve also included chromatic, metallic, and gem versions of what we call greatwyrm dragons. These creatures use the mythic monster rules from Mythic Odysseys of Theros to create epic battles. And the ancient dragon turtle is also in that category.”

Marcloure
2021-07-14, 01:21 PM
Is this more of a monster lore/compendium, or a player-oriented book?

Silly Name
2021-07-14, 01:22 PM
Hooray for active acknowledgement of DragonLance! Here's hoping the world of Krynn will receive more support!

Rafaelfras
2021-07-14, 01:33 PM
Dragon lance it is then.
Seems lots of people got right

RogueJK
2021-07-14, 01:38 PM
Is this more of a monster lore/compendium, or a player-oriented book?

Likely a bit of both, probably similar to Volo's Guide to Monsters or Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. We know from the UA material that there should be at least some player options.

KorvinStarmast
2021-07-14, 01:39 PM
Is this more of a monster lore/compendium, or a player-oriented book? Guessing the former.

A note on the title:
Using Fizban's name doesn't make it a Krynn book. I say that because using Mordenkainen's name didn't make Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes a Greyhawk book.

Mordenkainen (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordenkainen) is a fictional wizard from the World of Greyhawk campaign setting for the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game. He was created by Gary Gygax as a player character, only months after the start of Gygax's Greyhawk campaign, and is therefore one of the oldest characters continuously associated with D&D

jaappleton
2021-07-14, 01:44 PM
I think its going to be similar to Volo's.

Volo's had some player races as well as a compendium of monsters. I surmise this will have plenty of monsters, but also a hefty amount of player options between the new Dragonborn (or Draconic races, whatever you want to call them) along with the Drakewarden Ranger and Monk subclass. Don't forget those spells as well!

Silly Name
2021-07-14, 01:44 PM
A note on the title:
Using Fizban's name doesn't make it a Krynn book. I say that because using Mordenkainen's name didn't make Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes a Greyhawk book.

I agree, and expect the book to not be heavily DL-themed, with many options being given as setting agnostic. That said, it's a front-and-center acknowledgement of the world of Krynn, while previously all we got was some small footnote about how some things may fit in a DragonLance campaign.

Coupling this with the recent lawsuit, talks about a historical setting being released and vague announcements from Hickman about good things coming... I'm a bit more hopeful for an actual DL setting book.

jaappleton
2021-07-14, 01:47 PM
I agree, and expect the book to not be heavily DL-themed, with many options being given as setting agnostic. That said, it's a front-and-center acknowledgement of the world of Krynn, while previously all we got was some small footnote about how some things may fit in a DragonLance campaign.

Coupling this with the recent lawsuit, talks about a historical setting being released and vague announcements from Hickman about good things coming... I'm a bit more hopeful for an actual DL setting book.

Not an informed opinion, but:

I think the Dragonlance lawsuit was more of a formality than anything. It wasn't a big deal. It was both sides playing chicken. One side saying they'd sue unless ____, the other side thinking they're bluffing. Its over now, and settled. Water under the bridge.

Silly Name
2021-07-14, 01:50 PM
Not an informed opinion, but:

I think the Dragonlance lawsuit was more of a formality than anything. It wasn't a big deal. It was both sides playing chicken. One side saying they'd sue unless ____, the other side thinking they're bluffing. Its over now, and settled. Water under the bridge.

Eh, probably. But I think the settlement may have helped define and formalise some things, and since then there's been a lot of buzzing about DragonLance... we'll see what happens, but it was (to me) an indicator that something is in the works.

Millstone85
2021-07-14, 01:59 PM
Hurrah for the 5e draconomicon. :smallsmile:

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-14, 02:05 PM
Gem dragons!

I'm not even mad about my longshot guess at Council of Wyrms being one of the resurrected "classic" setting being off, because this is going to be the Dragon book. Also, check out that nice looking Crystal dragon on that cover. Nice. Is it just me or does it have a split tail in the background there?

Really hoping that the "new" dragonborn make it into the book. They were probably my favorite part of that UA, and dragonborn kinda desperately need the buff. I quite like the mechanic of allowing the breath attack as part of your Attack routine over a straight action. Benefits spellcasters less, yeah, but do they really need the help? Range kinda discourages the spellcasters to use it anyways.

Dark.Revenant
2021-07-14, 02:24 PM
I'm not even mad about my longshot guess at Council of Wyrms being one of the resurrected "classic" setting being off, because this is going to be the Dragon book.

I mean, let's be honest: they weren't going to bring that back. Playable dragons means making a PC race that's not small/medium, and WotC will never go there.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-14, 02:26 PM
I mean, let's be honest: they weren't going to bring that back. Playable dragons means making a PC race that's not small/medium, and WotC will never go there.

In my initial "pitch", I theorized that it was one of the settings with a "new format", which would have been that each PC gets two sheets; their Small/Medium shapeshifted form and their dragon form, and the adventures would (theoretically) be split between the two.

Imbalance
2021-07-14, 03:37 PM
Someone needs to have a discussion about the kinds of bags they keep their cats in.

Hmmmm...if they show me 200+ pages I'll show them $30.

jaappleton
2021-07-14, 03:40 PM
Someone needs to have a discussion about the kinds of bags they keep their cats in.

Hmmmm...if they show me 200+ pages I'll show them $30.

I don't know of any decision makers that feel this way. As in, executives.

But I do know at least three designers that are absolutely livid this keeps happening. Whether Amazon, or Fantasy Grounds, or D&D Beyond, it just keeps happening and they are not happy in the slightest.

That said... They're not the executives. They're not the ones who actually cut the deals regarding revenue sharing and such with places like DDB or FG.

Don't know how they feel, but the designers aren't in any position to leverage any sort of action to happen here.

Just... the cost of doing business, honestly. DDB, FG, Amazon, etc. they all need to know in advance to get their web pages and videos up the second an actual announcement goes live. Honestly, while it sucks, not much can be done, IMO.

Waterdeep Merch
2021-07-14, 03:55 PM
I think the name's kinda crap, but the cover's gorgeous. There's always space for more dragons in my dungeons. I know two players excited for new dragonborn and kobolds, too.

Millstone85
2021-07-14, 04:45 PM
I think the name's kinda crapToday I learned that the word treasury can refer to a collection of literary works. That's pretty cool.

Waterdeep Merch
2021-07-14, 07:11 PM
Today I learned that the word treasury can refer to a collection of literary works. That's pretty cool.

Any type of beloved or valuable collection, really.

Beyond just sounding more boring than 'Draconomicon', the title implies Fizban keeps a museum somewhere filled with dragons. Amusing, but heh?

Imagine Fizban, avatar of Paladine, walking through cages containing captured dragons, sipping wine and admiring an irate red dragon next to a gold dragon that looks shocked and betrayed.

I know it's 5e's thing for book names, and I'm sure there's plenty of people that find it endearing. It's just me griping.

animewatcha
2021-07-14, 08:46 PM
So let's see if they let the UA dragonborns be as they are just fine or if they are gonna nerf them into the ground...like they tend to do to things.

Theodoxus
2021-07-14, 09:05 PM
Any type of beloved or valuable collection, really.

Beyond just sounding more boring than 'Draconomicon', the title implies Fizban keeps a museum somewhere filled with dragons. Amusing, but heh?

Imagine Fizban, avatar of Paladine, walking through cages containing captured dragons, sipping wine and admiring an irate red dragon next to a gold dragon that looks shocked and betrayed.

I know it's 5e's thing for book names, and I'm sure there's plenty of people that find it endearing. It's just me griping.

So... Dagur or Viggo or Johann or Alvin or Krogan or Grimmel? Grimmel probably would be closest... he seems the type to sip wine while admiring his monstrous nightmare...

Ralanr
2021-07-14, 11:16 PM
So let's see if they let the UA dragonborns be as they are just fine or if they are gonna nerf them into the ground...like they tend to do to things.

Considering how bad base dragonborn are...anything is an upgrade.

Kane0
2021-07-15, 01:12 AM
Ah, another addition to my collection. Probably won't see much use really as I now wait for the 'Everything' books to compile player content, but I haven't stopped collecting adventures just because I won't run them and a collection is a collection!

P. G. Macer
2021-07-15, 01:13 AM
Considering how bad base dragonborn are...anything is an upgrade.

As much as I want to believe that, I just can’t. WotC has a history of screwing up things that should be effortlessly easy, so I’ll reserve my judgment on the new dragonborn for when I see them.

FabulousFizban
2021-07-15, 02:41 AM
I don't remember writing a book... but, well, it's got my name on it. So I must have!

Glorthindel
2021-07-15, 04:29 AM

I am reading this the other way - over the last year we have had a few Dragonlance hints (Dragon-based UA's, including Fizban being name-dropped in a spell name) but its clear that these were all for this book. If anything, this coming out, while I agree shows they are not stuffing Dragonlance in a fridge and pretending it never existed, probably means we aren't getting a setting book (because they have just dumped a chunk of what could have been its content here instead).

animewatcha
2021-07-15, 04:20 PM
I don't remember writing a book... but, well, it's got my name on it. So I must have!

WOTC does not apologize in advance for the book not being Fabulous.

FabulousFizban
2021-07-16, 01:16 AM
WOTC does not apologize in advance for the book not being Fabulous.

All works of Fizban are Fabulous!

Wasp
2021-07-16, 01:23 AM
Soooo... Amazon did it again:

Provides Dungeon Masters with tools to craft adventures inspired by dragons, including dragon lair maps and detailed information about 20 different types of dragons
Adds player character options, including dragon-themed subclasses for monks and rangers, unique draconic ancestries for dragonborn, additional spell options, and a feat
Presents a complete dragon bestiary and introduces a variety of dragons and dragon-related creatures—including aspects of the dragon gods, dragon minions, and more
Reveals the story of the First World and the role the dragon gods Bahamut and Tiamat played in its creation and destruction

Millstone85
2021-07-16, 04:24 AM
Soooo... Amazon did it again:

Provides Dungeon Masters with tools to craft adventures inspired by dragons, including dragon lair maps and detailed information about 20 different types of dragons
Presents a complete dragon bestiary and introduces a variety of dragons and dragon-related creatures—including aspects of the dragon gods, dragon minions, and more
As expected. I hope the brainsteeler dragon is somewhere in there.

Adds player character options, including dragon-themed subclasses for monks and rangers, unique draconic ancestries for dragonborn, additional spell options, and a feat
Ah now, that's a departure from the Volo/Mordy formula. Not just playable races, but also subclasses and more!

Although, wait, does that mean the new kobolds didn't make it?

Reveals the story of the First World and the role the dragon gods Bahamut and Tiamat played in its creation and destruction
That thing from the sidebar next to the dream of the blue veil spell in Tasha's? Okay.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-16, 08:25 AM
I'd be downright shocked if the Brainstealer Dragon was included in the new book. Which is a shame, because they're kinda awesome.

MrStabby
2021-07-16, 11:07 AM
So I am torn...

Firstly, I have no great love of dragons. As antagonists of NPCs... meh. I don't dislike them, but whatever...

On the other hand I think the UA they did that was dragon themed was very solid. Sure, it wasn't for me - but I would be more than happy if someone at my table wanted to play the monk or ranger. If this is the standard and style of content in the new book then it bodes well.

To me dragons are kind of a fantasy apex predator. If it is monster themed then this poses a bit of a problem. Would a DM want a book that was focussed on the top end of the power spectrum. I am not saying there cant be baby dragons and kobolds and dragonborn... but honestly the book will appeal to those that like dragons and they seem like the kind of creature it is hard to cram too many of into a campaign. Undead, humanoids, fey, fiends, celestials... I could see themed campaigns, but after your 12th dragon they must get a bit old.

Millstone85
2021-07-16, 11:12 AM
There is now an official product page on the WotC site:
https://dnd.wizards.com/products/treasury-dragons

It says the same things Wasp already got from Amazon.

But now we have pictures, including covers:

https://assets-prd.ignimgs.com/2021/07/16/fbtod-covers-1626410797376.png

KorvinStarmast
2021-07-16, 11:22 AM
pre ordered
as to the alt cover: :smallyuk:
I guess tastes will differ on that.

I like the wall of force or sphere that the wizard has up as the two dragons meet.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-16, 11:35 AM
pre ordered

I like the wall of force or sphere that the wizard has up as the two dragons meet.

Absolutely. I find that alternate cover absolutely gorgeous, and I want it like I haven't wanted an alternate cover in a while.

EDIT: Not sure how I feel about the picture of the gem dragonborn, though. They look a little goofy to anyone else?
https://images.ctfassets.net/swt2dsco9mfe/5vSct2XTLVhDTIrdgP7itL/c0c77f979677a2927950bc9fd51ff38b/12ohdo2h3f0.jpg?w=800&q=70&fm=webp

Xervous
2021-07-16, 12:50 PM
Absolutely. I find that alternate cover absolutely gorgeous, and I want it like I haven't wanted an alternate cover in a while.

EDIT: Not sure how I feel about the picture of the gem dragonborn, though. They look a little goofy to anyone else?
https://images.ctfassets.net/swt2dsco9mfe/5vSct2XTLVhDTIrdgP7itL/c0c77f979677a2927950bc9fd51ff38b/12ohdo2h3f0.jpg?w=800&q=70&fm=webp

Floating gem horns?

Looks like premium MMO skins. Though I’m not a fan of Dragonborn at this point.

Waterdeep Merch
2021-07-16, 01:32 PM
Floating gem horns?

Looks like premium MMO skins. Though I’m not a fan of Dragonborn at this point.

Yeah, I already dislike dragonborn in general and these don't change my mind. But I have two players that love aesthetics like that and like dragonborn even now, so I'm sure they'll be excited to play them. Whatever floats their boat and gets them in the game.

Evaar
2021-07-16, 01:38 PM

https://youtu.be/m3klqgmS43w

jaappleton
2021-07-16, 01:50 PM
I don’t mind the look of them at all.

But I will say the art style is a bit of a departure from what I expect to see in a D&D book. Not in any sort of a bad way, the artist is quite talented.

Just that their style seems slightly out of place compared to the usual art I see in a D&D book.

Millstone85
2021-07-16, 01:55 PM
Absolutely. I find that alternate cover absolutely gorgeous, and I want it like I haven't wanted an alternate cover in a while.I always go "Huh, neat!" at the alternate cover, then buy the regular cover anyway because I like consistency on my shelf.

But I will say the art style is a bit of a departure from what I expect to see in a D&D book. Not in any sort of a bad way, the artist is quite talented.

Just that their style seems slightly out of place compared to the usual art I see in a D&D book.I would say the art style is more cartoony than usual. Otherwise, sure, I can imagine a gem dragonborn's horns and scales developing Ioun-stone-like traits.

Xervous
2021-07-16, 02:32 PM
I would say the art style is more cartoony than usual. Otherwise, sure, I can imagine a gem dragonborn's horns and scales developing Ioun-stone-like traits.

Cartoony is one word for it sure. reminds me of furry art if I’m being honest

Imbalance
2021-07-16, 02:42 PM

They look a little drunk...

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-16, 02:44 PM
https://youtu.be/m3klqgmS43w

Cartoony is one word for it sure. reminds me of furry art if I’m being honestExactly. Y'all said it better than I did.

Just that their style seems slightly out of place compared to the usual art I see in a D&D book.

For sure, no question that they're talented. You need only look at the detailing on the clothing and the subtle shading. But it is kinda weird. Not PHB Halfling weird, just kinda odd.

Millstone85
2021-07-16, 05:23 PM
I'd be downright shocked if the Brainstealer Dragon was included in the new book. Which is a shame, because they're kinda awesome.So, according to someone on twitter: link (https://twitter.com/tattoosandbones/status/1416157865358729217)

There's a version they announced on D&D Live today: Elderbrain dragons - An illithid Elder Brain that somehow gets onto the back of a dragon, grows tendrils into the spine and takes over its body.

I thought it was fine to "simply" have a dragon go through ceremorphosis, but I am not rejecting the concept. Maybe that way it is easier for the creature to rule an illithid colony.

KorvinStarmast
2021-07-16, 09:30 PM
They look a little drunk...
If they are adventurers, that's to be expected. :smallsmile:

loki_ragnarock
2021-07-16, 10:03 PM
So I am torn...

Firstly, I have no great love of dragons. As antagonists of NPCs... meh. I don't dislike them, but whatever...

On the other hand I think the UA they did that was dragon themed was very solid. Sure, it wasn't for me - but I would be more than happy if someone at my table wanted to play the monk or ranger. If this is the standard and style of content in the new book then it bodes well.

To me dragons are kind of a fantasy apex predator. If it is monster themed then this poses a bit of a problem. Would a DM want a book that was focussed on the top end of the power spectrum. I am not saying there cant be baby dragons and kobolds and dragonborn... but honestly the book will appeal to those that like dragons and they seem like the kind of creature it is hard to cram too many of into a campaign. Undead, humanoids, fey, fiends, celestials... I could see themed campaigns, but after your 12th dragon they must get a bit old.

As someone who said of Logan "That movie would be great with oooooooooone less Wolverine in it," I feel you.

But not quite as much as I'm feeling that alt cover. That alt cover is sploosh.

Jophiel
2021-07-18, 09:48 AM
I feel much the same, I think. I am probably a minority on this (just based on the amount of content) but I like my dragons to be mythical and powerful and rare. These days, by the time a party comes across a dragon, they've seen so many dragonborn and dragon-blood and half-dragons and dragon magic and dragon this and that and the others that... Oh, hey, it's a dragon. Neat, I guess. These days, dragons are the Pumpkin Spice of D&D.

Imbalance
2021-07-18, 12:43 PM
I feel much the same, I think. I am probably a minority on this (just based on the amount of content) but I like my dragons to be mythical and powerful and rare. These days, by the time a party comes across a dragon, they've seen so many dragonborn and dragon-blood and half-dragons and dragon magic and dragon this and that and the others that... Oh, hey, it's a dragon. Neat, I guess. These days, dragons are the Pumpkin Spice of D&D.

Um, as the word is in the title of the product, wouldn't anything less be false advertising?

Jophiel
2021-07-18, 12:57 PM
Um, as the word is in the title of the product, wouldn't anything less be false advertising?
I'm talking about my interest in the book in general, not what the book should contain.

Millstone85
2021-07-18, 01:06 PM
These days, dragons are the Pumpkin Spice of D&D.
I'm talking about my interest in the book in general, not what the book should contain.It is not just the book, it is the game. One would expect D&D to have plenty of dungeons and dragons.

MrStabby
2021-07-18, 01:16 PM
It is not just the book, it is the game. One would expect D&D to have plenty of dungeons and dragons.

Well as long as the next one has a real dungeon focus I guess I could get behind the concept.

Lots of tombs, traps and treasure and no outside spaces.

Jophiel
2021-07-18, 01:24 PM
One would expect D&D to have plenty of dungeons and dragons.
I've been playing for a long, long time and never had that expectation but I'll admit that my viewpoint isn't the common one given how there's piles of dragons in everything these days :smallsmile:

Sigreid
2021-07-18, 02:16 PM
Those pictures of the gem dragonborn remind me of this:

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Earl-dinosaurs-133535_600_532.gif

Trafalgar
2021-07-18, 03:08 PM
Cartoony is one word for it sure. reminds me of furry art if I’m being honest

It's definitely a little goofy looking.

Xervous
2021-07-19, 06:38 AM
It's definitely a little goofy looking.

Looking at it again after a week I realized what was off. The clothing has the same glazed ceramic appearance that the Dragonborn have.

Imbalance
2021-07-19, 08:03 AM
Looking at it again after a week I realized what was off. The clothing has the same glazed ceramic appearance that the Dragonborn have.

Crystal breeches? Iridescent is the new Hypercolor?

I'm mostly curious whether they ever wear hats. Unlike other Dragonborn or Tieflings, they may not need to cut holes in the top of their headwear...

Theodoxus
2021-07-19, 06:39 PM
Gem Dragonborn puts a hat on, the crystal floating bits fall to the ground. "I've been shorn!"

Seriously though, I have the Sapphire Dragon as my laptop's background screen (because Blue) and those floating crystal bits bug me. I didn't get whatever product it was promoting - is there an actual explanation for the disconnected crystal shards, or is it just an esthetic the artist and copycats went with?

Imbalance
2021-07-19, 06:55 PM
Gem Dragonborn puts a hat on, the crystal floating bits fall to the ground. "I've been shorn!"

Seriously though, I have the Sapphire Dragon as my laptop's background screen (because Blue) and those floating crystal bits bug me. I didn't get whatever product it was promoting - is there an actual explanation for the disconnected crystal shards, or is it just an esthetic the artist and copycats went with?

Psionics...

Millstone85
2021-07-20, 06:02 AM
So, according to this article (https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2021/07/18/in-the-works-fizbans-treasury-dragons/content.html), a big theme of the book is that every dragon has multiple echoes across the worlds of the Material Plane, and can contact them through dragonsight. Fully developing that ability allows a dragon to transcend into a greatwyrm, which uses the mythic monster rules from Theros. Ancient dragon turtles also use those rules. I find that a very interesting concept.

It is also said that dragons such as Chronepsis or Aasterinian, previously identified as gods, are actually greatwyrms of godlike power. However, the article attributes the creation of the Material Plane to Bahamut and Tiamat (say what?) so I have to wonder if that makes them a different sort of gods or godlike beings than the greatwyrms. Also, wasn't Chronepsis their uncle?

A couple other neat tidbits:

A group of dragons is called a treasury, hence the title.
A dragon's hoard upgrades magic items placed within it.

MrStabby
2021-07-20, 09:31 AM
So, according to this article (https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2021/07/18/in-the-works-fizbans-treasury-dragons/content.html), a big theme of the book is that every dragon has multiple echoes across the worlds of the Material Plane, and can contact them through dragonsight. Fully developing that ability allows a dragon to transcend into a greatwyrm, which uses the mythic monster rules from Theros. Ancient dragon turtles also use those rules. I find that a very interesting concept.

It is also said that dragons such as Chronepsis or Aasterinian, previously identified as gods, are actually greatwyrms of godlike power. However, the article attributes the creation of the Material Plane to Bahamut and Tiamat (say what?) so I have to wonder if that makes them a different sort of gods or godlike beings than the greatwyrms. Also, wasn't Chronepsis their uncle?

Wow. another big book of tables. wooo.

Xervous
2021-07-20, 10:07 AM
Objection, Malazan did it best in terming it a thunder of dragons.

Millstone85
2021-07-20, 12:41 PM
Wow. another big book of tables. wooo.I don't understand. What tables?

MrStabby
2021-07-20, 05:06 PM
I don't understand. What tables?

In the link Millstone85 provided:

Chapter One
“Following the introduction, Chapter One contains character options and is where you’ll find the revised dragonborn races, as well as the Way of the Ascendent Dragon monk and the Drakewarden ranger subclasses from previous Unearthed Arcana releases.

“Some of the feedback on the dragon subclasses said, ‘I want a dragon-flavored blank’ where blank is just about any other class in the Player’s Handbook. There’s a limit to the amount we can provide so we’ve included a table to spur players’ imaginations and help give any character they’re playing some dragon flavor.

“If you want a dragon-themed warlock, for example, you could play an archfey warlock whose patron is a moonstone dragon, a new kind of dragon that’s tied to the Feywild. If you want a dragon cleric, you can take any domain and worship Bahamut or Tiamat to add that dragon flavor. Maybe you’re from Eberron and have a dragonmark. Or you might decide that you gained your powers when you found a dragon claw that you now use as your spellcasting focus.”

Chapter Two
“The second chapter contains a handful of new spells, most of which we previewed in Unearthed Arcana. It also contains new magic items that have ties to dragons.

“If DMs and players really embrace this book then they’re going to be seeing a lot of dragons in their campaigns. One new concept we introduce here is hoard items. These are magic items that become more powerful when they’re steeped in a dragon’s hoard.

“If you find an item in a blue wyrmling’s hoard, for example, and then several levels later you use that item to kill an adult red dragon and you steep it in that hoard, it may become more powerful because it’s the hoard of an adult dragon. The item might also change its characteristics slightly, because it’s been affected by a red dragon’s magic instead of a blue dragon.”

Chapter Three
“This chapter is aimed at the Dungeon Master and is all about building dragons as unique characters—both in terms of personality and mechanical tweaks. We also look at how you can build encounters, adventures, and entire campaigns around dragons. This includes a whole bunch of tables that are a great way to quickly share a lot of really dense story ideas. We hope that these tiny nuggets spark inspiration in a DM’s brain.

“This is primarily a mainstream D&D book but we do give a very brief nod in the direction of Tarkir, which is Magic: The Gathering‘s dragon world, as well as Dragonlance. We also reference the second edition Council of Wyrms setting, which was another world that was built around dragons.

“The Council of Wyrms was a string of isles that were ruled by a bunch of different dragon clans. Their council gave the setting its name and in Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons we discuss different ways you might build a setting like that with dragons as major players.”

Chapter Four
“In this chapter we focus on lairs and hoards. This book embraces the D&D multiverse and talks about dragons as the quintessential creatures of the material plane. Bahamut and Tiamat created the material plane, so dragon essence is fundamentally tied to it. That explains why when a dragon creates its lair, it becomes a sort of magical nexus as the dragon’s essence seeps into the surrounding area and regional effects are created.

“We include some new regional effects, a couple of new lair actions that are tied to specific lair maps we include in the next chapter, as well as tables to help generate cool and interesting hoards. You’ll find a few other brand-new lair options later in the book, such as when we’re discussing amethyst dragons in Chapter Five and as part of certain monster entries in Chapter Six.”

Chapter Five
“Chapter Five makes up a third of the book and takes an in-depth look at each kind of dragon. By highlighting a dragon’s personality traits, ideals, and other creatures that might associate with them, we help you build a storyline around them.

“One of the guiding principles of this book is show don’t tell. We could simply tell you about the personality of brass dragons, but if we give you a bunch of tables that show you their personality traits and put words into that brass dragon’s mouth, that’s more effective. That might include objects that the brass dragon has a relationship with—maybe it has conversations with a bust of a philosopher that it calls Leonard!

“We also look at alignment. For example, chromatic dragons are typically evil, so can there ever be a good black dragon? The beauty of the word ‘typically’ is that there’s always the possibility. Each entry in this chapter starts with a table of personality traits and a table of ideals. And the final entry on the table of ideals is always something that’s dramatically outside the norm for that dragon’s alignment as we wanted to make the point that typically does mean typically, not always.”

Gyor
2021-07-20, 06:40 PM
I'd be downright shocked if the Brainstealer Dragon was included in the new book. Which is a shame, because they're kinda awesome.

The Elder Brain Dragon is included, so Brainstealer is very much possiblity.

Millstone85
2021-07-21, 05:50 AM
After some browsing, here are other monsters apparently in the book.

Aspects of Bahamut and Tiamat
Finally! I wonder if Tiamat is still statted as a fiend, and if so is Bahamut a celestial?

Deep dragons
I guess that if dwarves, elves and gnomes come in versions specific to the underdark, why not dragons?

Dracohydra
It sounds like a creature that, to its pleasure or annoyance, would keep being mistaken for Tiamat.

Drakes and wyverns
I hope one of those ends up being a GoT-style dragon: beast-like intelligence, two wings, two legs, a breath weapon, no stinger.

Hoard mimic
For extra lol, I would have it cuddle the stuffed body of a dragon and toss it aside as it reveals itself. Or maybe there is a room full of the bones of dragons who took a nap on the "abandoned" hoard.

Moonstone dragons
Dragons of the Feywild. Could it be a template, like for shadow dragons?

DigoDragon
2021-07-21, 06:57 AM
I wonder if kobolds get any love in this book? Then again, after seeing what kobolds got in a UA rewrite, maybe they should sit this one out. XD

I do love to have dragons as the big bad of my campaigns, tho. I think I I'll look forward to reading this one.

quindraco
2021-07-21, 07:21 AM
I wonder if kobolds get any love in this book? Then again, after seeing what kobolds got in a UA rewrite, maybe they should sit this one out. XD

I do love to have dragons as the big bad of my campaigns, tho. I think I I'll look forward to reading this one.

4 posts up is someone recapping that Fizban's is confirmed to have "revised dragonborn races" (emphasis mine), and dragonborn itself is only one race, so I'd treat that as confirmation kobolds are getting what everyone will treat as a new subrace.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-21, 07:51 AM
After some browsing, here are other monsters apparently in the book.

Deep dragons
I guess that if dwarves, elves and gnomes come in versions specific to the underdark, why not dragons?

Deep dragons (also known as purple dragons) have a decently long history behind them, actually. They're natives to FR, are innate shapeshifters with an immunity to charm magics, resisted cold and fire, had truesight and had a cone of corrosive gas. Mind you, they went through some funky changes for 4E, iirc, but I didn't really play that edition.

Zevox
2021-07-21, 08:46 AM
4 posts up is someone recapping that Fizban's is confirmed to have "revised dragonborn races" (emphasis mine), and dragonborn itself is only one race, so I'd treat that as confirmation kobolds are getting what everyone will treat as a new subrace.
Except that they split the Dragonborn up into three subraces in the revision: chromatic, metallic, and gem. So they could totally just be referring to the Dragonborn there. It'd actually be more confusing if they were implying Kobolds counted as a "Dragonborn race" now, imo.

Millstone85
2021-07-21, 09:05 AM
Except that they split the Dragonborn up into three subraces in the revision: chromatic, metallic, and gem. So they could totally just be referring to the Dragonborn there. It'd actually be more confusing if they were implying Kobolds counted as a "Dragonborn race" now, imo.I agree.

At this point, I just hope that we will get some info on how different dragons treat and organize their kobolds, and that it will not be strictly a chromatic business.

Deep dragons (also known as purple dragons) have a decently long history behind them, actually. They're natives to FR, are innate shapeshifters with an immunity to charm magics, resisted cold and fire, had truesight and had a cone of corrosive gas. Mind you, they went through some funky changes for 4E, iirc, but I didn't really play that edition.Then I all the more want the moonstone dragon to be a template. This way we would easily have purple dragons of the Feywild's underdark, competing or allying with fomorians.

KorvinStarmast
2021-07-21, 09:20 AM
Deep dragons (also known as purple dragons) have a decently long history behind them, actually. I hope that they are flightless; since their habitat is the underdark/underground, being a wyrm (like some of Tolkiens wyrms in The Silmarillion, none of whom flew until Ancalagon the Black arrived) that doesn't fly could make for a better "feel" for me.

Sam113097
2021-07-21, 10:48 AM
I'll work to update the first post with all of the new information that has been released about the book by WotC!

Ralanr
2021-07-21, 11:06 AM
I know flavoring is the spice of D&D but them saying "If you want a dragon patron for your warlock, try a moondragon as a fey patron warlock." As a way to get it is just a straight up cop-out from WOTC.

I can understand if they didn't have the space to put it in, and I understand that any new dragon related player options are largely not going to happen after this book (because when else would you do a dragon themed thing other than the dragon themed book), but straight up saying this feels like they're asking people not to ask them further.

Which they are.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-21, 02:46 PM
I hope that they are flightless; since their habitat is the underdark/underground, being a wyrm (like some of Tolkiens wyrms in The Silmarillion, none of whom flew until Ancalagon the Black arrived) that doesn't fly could make for a better "feel" for me.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/8/83/Deep_Dragon.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20091031122011
This was the 3.5E version. I can't say for certain what the 4E one looked like, though.

Millstone85
2021-07-21, 02:55 PM
This was the 3.5E version. I can't say for certain what the 4E one looked like, though.https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/1/1b/Deep_dragon_4e.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/300

Yeah, I have no idea what those wings are for.

KorvinStarmast
2021-07-21, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I have no idea what those wings are for. Nor do I. :smallannoyed:

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-21, 04:06 PM
Actually, IIRC, Sapphire dragons live underground as well. And I do mean full-on underground, not sleeping in a cave. I mean never seeing the sun.

I think the only (official) true dragons in 3.5E (besides Dragonwrought kobolds) without a flight speed are the Brown dragons from Monster of Faerun and the Styx planar dragons from the Draconomicon (and even they both have vestigial wings).

I mean, there was also the Lung Dragons, but those are a whole other kettle of fish.

Luccan
2021-07-21, 04:52 PM
I wonder if the revised DB are going to effect the PHB. Seems unlikely, due to formatting, but it certainly alters my plans for a no-darkvision races only setting if so.

Imbalance
2021-07-21, 05:53 PM
Lung Dragons reminded me, this was considered canon, iirc:

https://media.wizards.com/2015/images/dnd/articles/Toon_GreenDragon.jpg

Millstone85
2021-07-22, 03:44 AM
Nor do I. :smallannoyed:A solution would be to give them access to the Border Ethereal, so they can fly through the earth.

Actually, IIRC, Sapphire dragons live underground as well. And I do mean full-on underground, not sleeping in a cave. I mean never seeing the sun.I had to check if there was also an underdark metallic, and sure enough: adamantine dragon.