PDA

View Full Version : TV Trese (Netflix)

Giggling Ghast
2021-07-14, 01:55 PM
I recently caught this six-episode series on Netflix, so I thought I'd do my small part to help promote it.

Trese is a fairly bog standard urban fantasy set-up — mythological creatures are real and the main character, Trese, is the current head of a family that maintains peace between humans and the underworld. (Incidentally, the show is set in Manila and all the creatures are from Filipino myths, though with perhaps a little Western influence). It's a little notable in that these creatures aren't regarded as unusual and regular people seem to readily accept the existence of ghosts and man-eating aswang as part of everyday life.

As horror-action goes, it's pretty decent with a fair bit of gore, including a few bits that even made me wince. The animation is nothing spectacular but perfectly serviceable, as is the voice acting. (I've heard some people don't like the performance of the actress in the English dub as she comes off as a bit wooden, but I think that's kind of the point as Trese is very dour and serious.)

It might be worth a look. I've heard that it's fairly well-regarded by fans of the comic it's based on, minus a few controversial alterations.