PDA

View Full Version : Con- Sad Dhampir Echo Knight Build

sayaijin
2021-07-14, 03:08 PM
So there was another thread about what class/subclass would be best for the Con-SAD Dhampir, but now I want to actually build the Echo Knight version of it.

So my DM is letting me flavor the Echo as a bat instead of a duplicate. So I'll have a bat friend who can bite opponents and swap places with me when I need the mobility.

What feats, armor, and skills would you load out such a character with? I'm seeing this as a vampire who will slowly become a lord. The level 7 ability allows spying with the bat friend.

RogueJK
2021-07-14, 03:18 PM
I'm a big fan of the Ancestral Guardian/Echo Knight combo, ala Ludic's Ancestral Avenger build. https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24673886&postcount=511

Works well with an undead/bat theme, letting you use the enslaved spirits of your fallen foes/ghosts of your former allies or your family in life/etc. to hinder your enemies.

You can pretty much follow Ludic's build advice, with a few tweaks. You can start 14 STR, 16 DEX, and 16 CON, and boost CON alone from there instead of STR. And since you won't need GWM, that makes up for not being able to take Sentinel at Level 1. Plus your AC will be higher, since you can use a shield (AC 18 with a shield plus medium armor or unarmored defense 16 DEX/CON). And since you won't need to take the GWF Fighting Style, take Blind Fighting instead for more Bat theme.

sayaijin
2021-07-14, 03:26 PM
I'm a big fan of the Ancestral Guardian/Echo Knight combo, ala Ludic's Ancestral Avenger build. https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24673886&postcount=511

Works well with an undead/bat theme, letting you use the ghosts of XYZ (your fallen foes, your former allies, your family in life, whatever) to hinder your enemies.

You can pretty much follow Ludic's build advice, with a few tweaks. You can start 14 STR, 16 DEX, and 16 CON, and boost CON alone from there instead of STR. And since you won't need GWM, that makes up for not being able to take Sentinel at Level 1. Plus your AC will be higher, since you can use a shield (unarmored AC 18 at Level 1 with 16 DEX/CON plus a shield). And since you won't need to take the GWF Fighting Style, take Blind Fighting instead for more Bat theme.

I have seen it before and I love it, but sadly if I want to stick with just bite attacks (using Con) then I don't get the Str boost to attacks from barbarian, so the benefit of those three levels goes down a lot.

RogueJK
2021-07-14, 03:35 PM
I've played a DEX-based ranged Ancestral Guardian/Battlemaster before, and missing out on 2 extra bonus damage points or Reckless Attack by not making STR-based attacks isn't a big deal.

You're mostly after the Ancestral Protectors tanking/kiting ability, and can still make good use of the Rage damage resistance and bonus to STR checks, Unarmored Defense, extra skill, Danger Sense, etc.

da newt
2021-07-14, 04:00 PM
Sentinel really helps the Echo Knight w/ control.

Anything that creates extra attacks is always nice (PAM).

Shadow Blade, Darkness/Fog, Blind Fighting, and Booming Blade (if your DM rules BB & SB work together) are a great combo (requires coordination as you can only concentrate on one).

Find Familiar (bat) to HELP your Echo (BAT) while you crawl up into the far corner of the room would be thematic.

A Med armor DEX build would work well, or a Heavy armor ST build.

Your biggest hurdles will be upping damage with just a D4 attack especially as it will be hard to overcome non-magic PSB damage resistance.

sayaijin
2021-07-14, 04:41 PM
Sentinel really helps the Echo Knight w/ control.

Anything that creates extra attacks is always nice (PAM).

Shadow Blade, Darkness/Fog, Blind Fighting, and Booming Blade (if your DM rules BB & SB work together) are a great combo (requires coordination as you can only concentrate on one).

Find Familiar (bat) to HELP your Echo (BAT) while you crawl up into the far corner of the room would be thematic.

A Med armor DEX build would work well, or a Heavy armor ST build.

Your biggest hurdles will be upping damage with just a D4 attack especially as it will be hard to overcome non-magic PSB damage resistance.

He's pretty good about helping out with achieving cool ideas, so he'll probably give me magic damage on the bite when it's necessary (item or fiat).

Question though, would booming blade work with a bite?

EDIT: NVM, you can't BB through the Echo, so that's a non-starter.