PDA

View Full Version : Craziest/most unusal character you pulled off?

Wasp
2021-07-14, 07:47 PM
Sooo... tell me about your character! :smallbiggrin:

Developing my Law Enforcement Rabbitfolk Bard/Rogue got me thinking: What is the craziest/most unusual character you created and pulled off playing in 5e? Either a non traditional combination of classes, origin, profession or just a non-standard idea from a mechanical or roleplaying perspective?

Would love to hear some stories!

jaappleton
2021-07-14, 08:11 PM
Nearly every Druid you’ve ever heard of was a humanoid, intelligent creature that was capable of using nature magic and shape shifting into animals. Right?

I took that very thought and flipped it.

I played a Bear. Just a bear. Ruxpin the bear wandered into an abandoned Druid grove that has lingering magic, and was suddenly transformed into a Gold Dragonborn.

Ruxpin couldn’t read or write, but somehow the magic became more and more natural to him over time. He didn’t know what it meant to be a Druid, but he knew what it meant to be a bear. He was good at that!

And so he joined up with a band of adventurers, because that was likely the best way he could go about reversing the magic. He just wanted to be a bear again. Didn’t want to be a hero, or to save the world.

But as he learned about the evils of the world, he felt he had a bit of a responsibility to right some wrongs along the way.

Sadly, Ruxpin died in Barovia, but he was a blast to play. Everything he would Wild Shape into was something form of bear. Giant Spider? No it was a bear with arachnid legs. Crocodile? Leather-skinned reptile bear. Brown bear? Bear bear bear.

Veldrenor
2021-07-14, 09:09 PM
I made this character for a Storm King's Thunder game. We started part-way through because the DM had run the beginning so many times for adventurer's league that he was sick of it and wanted to run material he hadn't run before. Mechanically the character wasn't anything unique - he was a Halfling Celestial Warlock/Divine Soul Sorcerer, Hermit background. Coffeelock cheese through-and-through, made all the worse (better?) because the DM had a house rule that short rests took 10 minutes instead of 1 hour. The only mechanically interesting thing was that we got to start with an uncommon magic item and I took Gauntlets of Ogre Power, giving him the highest strength score in the party. What I did for the personality in order to 'justify' the obscene number of spell slots and supernatural strength, though, that was weird:

Picture a middle-aged halfling, plump and balding. Deep, dark circles ring his bulging, bloodshot eyes, and what hair he has is greasy and matted. He's dressed in a simple, priestly robe, but it's dirty and tattered and ill-kept. Hanging from his neck is an amulet depicting a pair of eyes surrounded by seven stars. Every movement he makes is sharp and sudden.

"Hiiiiiiyyyyyy, I'm Barmy! That's...not...my naaame, I-don't-really-haaave a name, it's just the first thing one of you meatbags called me when-I-got-down here. I'm an angel! in service...to-our-Lady of Moooonsilver. She's the patron of questers! And with all the turmoil downnnn here in recent years, there's been an awful lot of questing. My lady is so excited watching it all that she's not sleeping! And when she doesn't sleep, I don't sleep. I, like sleep. I need sleep. So I... took-it-upon-myself to come down here and lend a hannnnd, because-the-sooner you ffffinish this mess, the sooner I can sleep. Don't mind the, pious meatsuit, this isn't technically an official operation, so-I-needed-something to weeaaar so that Selune doesn't call me home earrrrlyyyy."

No one (including me) was ever sure if he actually was an angel possessing a worshiper, or just a halfling who had been driven mad by solitude and the Aspect of the Moon invocation. Or at least, no one was sure until the DM decided to roll for it and decreed that Barmy really was an angel wearing a halfling suit.

Duff
2021-07-14, 09:25 PM
Nearly every Druid you’ve ever heard of was a humanoid, intelligent creature that was capable of using nature magic and shape shifting into animals. Right?

I took that very thought and flipped it.

I did something very similar in an Ars Magica game. They have a "house" where all the magi have a beast form. Except my guy who had a human form...

da newt
2021-07-14, 09:33 PM
My most fun was a mask of many faces warlock that changed race / sex / age etc every time the party rested or if there was ANY reason what so ever. Mechanically they were pretty vanilla, but in play they were a complete random bag of whatever I thought would be fun or confusing or unexpected or might give us any advantage at all ... the role play was all over the place.

ff7hero
2021-07-15, 01:23 AM
Probably my Aberrent Mind1/Hexblade1/Lore BardX Variant Human with Ritual Caster (Wizard). I just wanted as much at will magic at my fingertips as possible, while not being a useless lump in combat. 9 cantrips by Level 3 was a ton of fun.

nickl_2000
2021-07-15, 03:41 AM
I currently as running a Ratlike Shifter Ranger who is obsessed with cheese. His life goal is to find new ingredients to make cheeses and find the "perfect" cheese for everyone he meets.

It's kind of silly, but a lot of fun to play. He's a Swarmkeeper and just discovered how to make Casu martzu. His Swarm is the flies needed to make that cheese.