PDA

View Full Version : Monkadin question

ChaosStar
2021-07-16, 02:19 AM
So, I was making a character and got good enough rolls to make a Monkadin, Kenku for Race. Was wondering if you guys thought that I should go for Monk 12/Pally 8 or Monk 11/Pally 9. 9 in Pally is tempting due to 2 3rd level spell slots for smites, putting him up to 9 per long rest. Monk 12 is tempting due to the extra Ki point and ASI/Feat slot. Then again there is Monk 16/Pally 4, kills the smites and lose the 2nd Sacred Feature but proficiency to all saves and good amount of Ki points, though I am taking Resilient(Wis) as one of my feats. Oh yeah, Mercy Monk and Redemption Paladin for the Subclasses.

Nidgit
2021-07-16, 02:48 AM
My preferred split would actually be Monk 14/Paladin 6, which would give you both proficiency and Cha to all saving throws as a capstone. Monk 17/Paladin 3 would also be a good option as you wouldn't need to invest in Charisma beyond 14 or so.

Smites are fun but they're going to be spread so thin that they shouldn't be the main focus of your multiclass. Both classes are pretty MAD so keep an eye out for combos that don't require too much ASI investment.

lordshadowisle
2021-07-16, 02:58 AM
I think Monk14/Paladin6 is probably better. At very high levels, saves are extremely important, and between Diamond Soul and Aura of Protection, you have monstrous saves (between +9 to +11 to everything) with the ability to spend Ki to reroll against bad luck.

I don't think you should take Res(Wis) due to Diamond Soul, unless you're starting at a level other than 20. Of course, if you're starting at a level other than 20 you'll need to examine whether the Monkadin is viable in the intermediate levels.

ChaosStar
2021-07-16, 03:01 AM
My preferred split would actually be Monk 14/Paladin 6, which would give you both proficiency and Cha to all saving throws as a capstone. Monk 17/Paladin 3 would also be a good option as you wouldn't need to invest in Charisma beyond 14 or so.

Smites are fun but they're going to be spread so thin that they shouldn't be the main focus of your multiclass. Both classes are pretty MAD so keep an eye out for combos that don't require too much ASI investment.

Yeah, I got ridiculous luck on the rolls. Dump was an 8, next lowest as 4 15s, then a 16. Resilient(Wis) and a +1/+1 are my planned slots right now.