PDA

View Full Version : Plant issues

Spacewolf
2021-07-16, 06:39 AM
Hello I've got an issue with my cactus plant caused, I think, by leaning over to far to get into the sun. Normally I rotate it to avoid this but I was away with work for awhile and when I came back it was fully leant over. It's currently standing straight under it's own power but as you can see in the below pictures there are some brown spots, I'm hoping they are just lacking chlorophyll from being hidden from the sun for so long and will get better now it's getting plenty of sun. But I'm worried it's something more serious like a fungal infection. So was hoping someone might know the correct course of action to take since I would like to save the cactus if I can.

https://ibb.co/cQ20TsB
https://ibb.co/2Kp7P9r

Eldan
2021-07-16, 08:18 AM
Spots like that aren't from lack of Chlorophyll, that makes plants go pale or yellowish. And while I'm not an expert, it also doesn't look particularly like a fungus to me. Might be light shock (more light than it is used to) or overwatering.

Any purplish discoloration anywhere?

Did you move it in anyway? Was it especially hot or cold?

Edit: also, do the Brown spots look dried out, or moist? Smooth texture or rough? Difficult to tell on the Images.

Spacewolf
2021-07-16, 09:42 AM
Its only just been watered for the first time in nearly two months so could be lack of water. Areas look drier than usual. I haven't moved it except to rotate it so it would stand up. Been hotter and sunnier than usual, but this area hasn't been exposed to the sun since the cactus had leaned so far over and this bit was the pivot for that as far as I could tell.

Eldan
2021-07-17, 08:28 AM
It might actually be too much water at once. Cactuses can react like that. Stick a finger in the soil, if it's moist, the cactus won't like it.

Dry brown spot might be sunburn, too.

Spacewolf
2021-07-17, 09:48 AM
Unfortuantly not so simple I think, as I said it was like this when I got back from work and it hadn't been watered for 8 weeks so the mark predates the latest watering it got. As for sunburn again it was on the shaded side as the cactus was lying almost horizontal as there's nowhere in my home that gets sunlight directly overhead so it tends to lean towards it.