PDA

View Full Version : “Quick Draw” Character

blackjack50
2021-07-16, 11:52 AM
Looking to create a character that is basically a cowboy themed quick draw. The weapons don’t really matter they don’t have to be guns. I am mainly just wondering what classes and seats would help me win the initiative roll and deal as much damage in that first round as possible. They don’t have to be stealthy because I was more thinking a character who can duel well.

jojosskul
2021-07-16, 12:00 PM
Looking to create a character that is basically a cowboy themed quick draw. The weapons don’t really matter they don’t have to be guns. I am mainly just wondering what classes and seats would help me win the initiative roll and deal as much damage in that first round as possible. They don’t have to be stealthy because I was more thinking a character who can duel well.

The first thing that came to mind for me is a Swashbuckler Rogue with Alert. Max Dex and get your Cha as high as you can get it since those will both contribute to your initiative. With variant human, 16 dex, 16 Cha, and Alert at level 3 you're looking at +11 initiative. For the best part of Swashbuckler, Fancy Footwork, you will be stuck with melee attacks, so that does go a bit against your them.

Thing is, this works with War Wizard as well, Alert Feat, 16 Int, 16 Dex. +11 to initiative at level 2. Make your "quick draw" item a wand spell focus. The amount of damage you deal in that first round is all centered around what spells you pick, and eventually you can "quick draw" a Meteor Swarm so there's always that.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-07-16, 12:03 PM
Gloom Stalker is your best bet-- you get +Wis to initiative and an extra attack (with bonus damage!) on the first turn of combat. Combine that with Fighter for Action Surge (since Dread Ambusher is specifically linked to the attack action) and the Alert feat... vHuman Ranger (Gloom Stalker) 5/Fighter (Samurai) 4 with Alert, +2 Dex, and Sharpshooter will give you something like +11 initiative and up to six shots at advantage on your first turn, each hitting for d8+14.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-16, 12:14 PM
Gloom Stalker is your best bet-- you get +Wis to initiative and an extra attack (with bonus damage!) on the first turn of combat. Combine that with Fighter for Action Surge (since Dread Ambusher is specifically linked to the attack action) and the Alert feat... vHuman Ranger (Gloom Stalker) 5/Fighter (Samurai) 4 with Alert, +2 Dex, and Sharpshooter will give you something like +11 initiative and up to six shots at advantage on your first turn, each hitting for d8+14.

Add some Assassin levels (since we're specifically talking about the first round of combat and assuming that you've won Initiative) for extra fun.

Since assassins get advantage on all attacks against other creatures that haven't taken their turns yet, you could save your Fighting Spirit uses for the rare instance where you roll terribly on initiative. It also gives you bonus 2d6 on one attack, and if the target is surprised all attacks are critical hits, meaning that combined with Action Surge you can absolutely shred an opponent. Not to mention the versatility that a few Rogue levels could grant you.

Man_Over_Game
2021-07-16, 12:14 PM

One of the best ways to duel is just to have more mobility and range than they do, (which is true in real life, too!).

You'd basically need some way of staying more mobile while using reach/range weapons to force the opponent to burn resources (like spells or Action Surge) in order to engage you. Maybe pack Slasher for good measure, and have some kind of solution for opposing ranged attacks/spells.

That's a solution for a general-purpose build, but you can make it cheaper by just making picks that naturally do the same. For instance, a gnomish Swashbuckler with Slasher, using whips, would be a major hassle to deal with for any opposing melee character. Monks can also do the same incredibly easily (simple thrown weapons count as Monk weapons), especially since they have naturally effective ways to deal with ranged or spell attacks and have both high Dex and Wis.

Dork_Forge
2021-07-16, 12:56 PM
I'll throw in support for the straight Swash Rogue (with either the Fighting Initiate feat, or a 1 level Fighter dip for Dueling or TWF) or the Gloomstalker 5/Fighter X, both with Alert.

RogueJK
2021-07-16, 02:09 PM
I concur with most of the others. You'll want:

A) High DEX. This one's pretty self-explanatory.

B) Alert feat. Also self-explanatory.

C) Some additional bonuses to Initiative from class abilities. This can be from one or more of:
-Bard 2 for +Half-Proficiency
-Watcher Paladin 7 for +Proficiency
-War Wizard 2 or Chronurgy Wizard 2 for +INT
-Gloomstalker Ranger 3 for +WIS
-Swashbuckler Rogue 3 for +CHA
-Twilight Cleric 1 for Advantage
-Battlemaster Fighter 3 for Ambush maneuver for +1d8

D) Gift of Alacrity spell for +1d8, either by taking 1 or more Wizard levels, or by taking the Magic Initiate Wizard or Fey Touched feat

E) Multiple attacks in the first round. This can be from one or more of:
-Extra Attack plus TWF, XBE, or PAM for a Bonus Action Attack
-Fighter 2 for Action Surge
-Gloomstalker Ranger 3 for an additional attack in the first round

While you could certainly stack all that together on one character and end up with a comically high initiative bonus but otherwise a rather MAD and weak character due to multiclassing 6+ classes (Watcher Paladin 7/Battlemaster Fighter 3/Gloomstalker 3/Swashbuckler 3/War Wizard 2/Twilight Cleric 1), you can instead pick just some of them to strategically stack together in a way that makes sense.

For example, something relatively straightforward like a DEX/WIS-based Battlemaster Fighter 5/Gloomstalker Ranger 3/Twilight Cleric 1 with the Fey Touched and Alert feats would have +DEX+WIS+2d8+5 and Advantage to Initiative, and be able to pull off 7 attacks in the first round with TWF+Action Surge+Dread Ambusher. Take both the Two Weapon and Thrown Weapon fighting styles, and quick-draw daggers with both hands to throw rapid-fire.

(Adding in Assassin Rogue 3 on top makes it even more bonkers, getting you Advantage on all 7 attacks since you'll almost certainly win Initiative, plus auto-crits if the enemies are surprised.)

whateew
2021-07-16, 02:18 PM
I think the war wizard suggestion is fantastic. I'd recommend it, maybe artillerist artificer + 2 level war wizard dip would be a lovely mix. The "enhanced arcane focus" that shoots fire bolt will have a quick draw feel too, I think itll be real fun. A steampunk gunslinger, with a homonculus familiar too.... I want to play this character now! Especially with that new Tasha's item letting them use eldritch blast, sounds like a quick draw "bang bang bang"

MrCharlie
2021-07-16, 02:23 PM
Ima throw my support for a battlemaster/swashbuckler with alert for the most playable build that does this. It works best with a sword/board or TWF style, although TWF style is anti-quick draw 'cause you can't draw two weapons without a feat (and the duel wielder feat is worthless).

If you just want to min-max initiative, nothing stops you from adding DEX, INT, WIS, and CHA to your initiative rolls with some unholy abomination that is all of these classes, and a normal human can buy a 8-16-12-14-14-14 array as a gloomstalker-war wizard-swashbuckler.

Add in the alert feat and that's a 5+3+2+2+2 or a +14 initiative at level 8. You have to be an unholy abomination of a multiclass, but it technically works.

Again, the most playable is battlemaster/swashbuckler. They also technically have a better initiative because they can use the ambush maneuver to add a d8 superiority die to initiative, worth on average a 4-5 bonus.

Battlemaster swashbuckler can also move up, attack twice and sneak attack once they hit, step back without provoking an AOO, then use the brace maneuver to attack again and sneak attack if they hit when the enemy closes to melee. It's not the maximum amount of damage it's possible to do by any means, but it's a good solid chunk.

Sorinth
2021-07-16, 02:27 PM
Gloomstalker, Swashbuckler, Oath of Watchers, and War Wizard all get bonuses to initiative. And if you can use UA Rabbitfolk can add prof modifier. Oath of Watchers and Swashbuckler double dip on Charisma so that might be the best option. At higher levels +5 from Dex(20), +10 from Charisma(20), +6 from Rabbitfolk and +5 from Alert feat nets you a cool +26 initiative which will be hard to beat.

Unoriginal
2021-07-16, 02:57 PM
People made great suggestions already but I would give the Kensei Monk an honorable mention in combo with some of the other options.

Monks are particularly hardcore in duels, and a ranged Stunning Strike hurts everyone affected by it (also make a good "leave the enemy too shocked to react" effect).

Cyclops08
2021-07-16, 03:09 PM
Number crunching aside, I have always thought of warlocks as gunslingers.

Making a pact is easy...in fact, too easy in some cases. This puts power in the hands of an average person. Multiple sources offer power this way. It is not very wise to accept a pact from many of those same sources. But the flavor is ending up with villains and heroes in every frontier town.

Just a two level dip makes for a good lock, leaving open a lot of the classes/exploits mentioned above. Eldritch Blast levels with the character and not the class. and a 120 foot range is excellent for a simple cantrip.

I have never been a min/maxer. I can see the reason for the best initiative, but I won't base an entire build on being first...there are far better feats to purchase.

(Sorry if I high jacked the thread)

Blood of Gaea
2021-07-16, 03:09 PM
A Samurai Fighter/Gloomstalker Ranger multiclass with Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter, and Alert would fit pretty well. With a 16 in Dex and Wis combined with Alert you'll have a sky-high initiative. With Action Surge, Extra Attack (eventually Extra Attack 2), Dread Ambusher, Crossbow Expert, and eventually Rapid Strike, you're throwing out enough attacks to be a close approximation to fanning the hammer.

Sharpshooter is what brings the damage here. The fact that you're able to take the Archery Fighting Style also means Staying at 16 Dex while you pick up your feat chain doesn't really hurt your accuracy. And you can still bump Dex later for more accuracy and Initiative.

I would probably go for 6 Fighter/4 Ranger/ X Fighter to maximize your ASIs, though you could also choose to go Ranger 3 to not delay your progression to Extra Attack (2) and Rapid Strike.

Man_Over_Game
2021-07-16, 05:14 PM
A Samurai Fighter/Gloomstalker Ranger multiclass with Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter, and Alert would fit pretty well. With a 16 in Dex and Wis combined with Alert you'll have a sky-high initiative. With Action Surge, Extra Attack (eventually Extra Attack 2), Dread Ambusher, Crossbow Expert, and eventually Rapid Strike, you're throwing out enough attacks to be a close approximation to fanning the hammer.

Sharpshooter is what brings the damage here. The fact that you're able to take the Archery Fighting Style also means Staying at 16 Dex while you pick up your feat chain doesn't really hurt your accuracy. And you can still bump Dex later for more accuracy and Initiative.

I would probably go for 6 Fighter/4 Ranger/ X Fighter to maximize your ASIs, though you could also choose to go Ranger 3 to not delay your progression to Extra Attack (2) and Rapid Strike.

It's worth mention that Samurai and Crossbow Expert have an anti-synergy here, as you can't use both of their main features at once as they both require a Bonus Action. It's the same reason dual-wield Samurai doesn't work.

Gignere
2021-07-16, 05:30 PM
Gloomstalker, Swashbuckler, Oath of Watchers, and War Wizard all get bonuses to initiative. And if you can use UA Rabbitfolk can add prof modifier. Oath of Watchers and Swashbuckler double dip on Charisma so that might be the best option. At higher levels +5 from Dex(20), +10 from Charisma(20), +6 from Rabbitfolk and +5 from Alert feat nets you a cool +26 initiative which will be hard to beat.

Watchers add proficiency not charisma to initiative so won’t stack with rabbitfolk

Dork_Forge
2021-07-16, 05:38 PM
It's worth mention that Samurai and Crossbow Expert have an anti-synergy here, as you can't use both of their main features at once as they both require a Bonus Action. It's the same reason dual-wield Samurai doesn't work.

They're not really that anti-synergistic though, you'll have Fighting Spirit 3 times a day, so:

-No disadvatange within 5ft: Always nice

-Can fire more than one bolt from a crossbow: style allowing

-Bonus action attack: The other dozen or so turns in the day where you aren't using Fighting Spirit

When you do use FS, you can use a heavy crossbow 1d10 damage and switch to handcrossbow for the bonus attack immediately after.

blackjack50
2021-07-17, 01:56 PM
Add some Assassin levels (since we're specifically talking about the first round of combat and assuming that you've won Initiative) for extra fun.

Since assassins get advantage on all attacks against other creatures that haven't taken their turns yet, you could save your Fighting Spirit uses for the rare instance where you roll terribly on initiative. It also gives you bonus 2d6 on one attack, and if the target is surprised all attacks are critical hits, meaning that combined with Action Surge you can absolutely shred an opponent. Not to mention the versatility that a few Rogue levels could grant you.

Would it matter if it wasn’t a surprise round? Or would I need to be stealthed?

Sorinth
2021-07-17, 02:10 PM
Watchers add proficiency not charisma to initiative so won’t stack with rabbitfolk

You're right my mistake, although technically both features say you add your proficiency bonus to initiative rather then you have proficiency in initiative so they might still stack.

Dork_Forge
2021-07-17, 02:26 PM
You're right my mistake, although technically both features say you add your proficiency bonus to initiative rather then you have proficiency in initiative so they might still stack.

iirc correctly the rule is about adding your proficiency bonus, not being proficient, that's why it wouldn't stack with Jack of All Trades either.

Hytheter
2021-07-17, 09:34 PM
People made great suggestions already but I would give the Kensei Monk an honorable mention in combo with some of the other options.

Monks are particularly hardcore in duels, and a ranged Stunning Strike hurts everyone affected by it (also make a good "leave the enemy too shocked to react" effect).

Stunning Strike requires a melee attack. You can't use it at range.

Witty Username
2021-07-17, 11:27 PM
Gloomstalker/Assassin does its job. Alert feat and you will be first.

Gignere
2021-07-18, 06:39 AM
If you play with rolled abilities and win the dice god lottery, you can by level 8, Gloomstalker 3/Chronurgy 2/Swashbuckler3 have potentially +22 + 1d8 to initiative, 20 dex + alert feat + 4 int + 4 wisdom + 4 charisma. Than go 7 watchers Paladin for another + proficiency to initiative and you can have a theoretical + 28 + 1d8 to initiative. Go another battle master 3, now you’re talking 28 + 2d8 (at level 18) nab a weapon of warning or sentinel shield and now you get advantage as well.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-18, 09:25 AM
Would it matter if it wasn’t a surprise round? Or would I need to be stealthed?

They specifically need to be Surprised in order to get the guaranteed critical hits. Attacking from hidden would grant you advantage on the (first) attack, unless your DM allowed you to start combat from hidden and deemed the opponent surprised.

Naanomi
2021-07-19, 03:06 PM
Straight fighter with a hand crossbow works good, all those extra attacks add up to feeling 'gunslinger'-y. Battlemaster for trick shots probably, though some of the other options work out just about as well.

If you are less married to the optics, you can make a similar character as a knife-throwing Champion fighter; stack throwing weapon style, archery weapon style, and two-weapon style with darts. Be half-orc, pick up piercer feat, Crit-fish

Joe the Rat
2021-07-20, 10:58 AM
Number crunching aside, I have always thought of warlocks as gunslingers.

Making a pact is easy...in fact, too easy in some cases. This puts power in the hands of an average person. Multiple sources offer power this way. It is not very wise to accept a pact from many of those same sources. But the flavor is ending up with villains and heroes in every frontier town.

Just a two level dip makes for a good lock, leaving open a lot of the classes/exploits mentioned above. Eldritch Blast levels with the character and not the class. and a 120 foot range is excellent for a simple cantrip.

I have never been a min/maxer. I can see the reason for the best initiative, but I won't base an entire build on being first...there are far better feats to purchase.

(Sorry if I high jacked the thread)Finger guns!
Warlock2+/Sorcerer3+/Fighter2 - first round quickened EB, action EB, action surge EB. Add Alert (+5 init) and possibly an Item of Warning (advantage on init). Spell sniper is a natural add-on for the gunfighter mode.

EDIT: If you can talk your DM into it (the fool!), the Illusionist's Bracers form GGR would be save you the Metamagic.

Straight fighter with a hand crossbow works good, all those extra attacks add up to feeling 'gunslinger'-y. Battlemaster for trick shots probably, though some of the other options work out just about as well.

If you are less married to the optics, you can make a similar character as a knife-throwing Champion fighter; stack throwing weapon style, archery weapon style, and two-weapon style with darts. Be half-orc, pick up piercer feat, Crit-fishA Battlemaster Fighter with Crossbow expert is where I'd start. Layering in with a Gloomstalker (extra first round attack, Wis bonus) or Swashbuckler (Cha bonus) can boost initiative further. The trick is ultimately you need crossbow expert, sharpshooter (for better range and damage), and Alert. You're invested like a Polearm Sentinel. Fortunately you have extra feats with which to pull it off.

Dalinar
2021-07-20, 11:13 AM
It hasn't come up yet, but Scout 13 also gives you advantage on initiative rolls. That's really late, though, but at least you'll have high DEX--advantage with a +5 is pretty likely to beat most things--that's an average of about 18 according to the dice calculator I use.

Pondincherry
2021-07-20, 01:57 PM
It comes fully online very late, but Lore Bard isn't a terrible choice. DEX is probably your secondary stat (maybe primary). At level 2, you get Jack of All Trades like any Bard, adding half your proficiency bonus to initiative rolls. Like everyone else said, the Alert feat is another +5. The real interesting part is Peerless Skill at level 14, which lets you add a (d10, or d12 at level 15) Bardic Inspiration to your initiative roll. Possibly not the best use of a Bardic Inspiration, but has the potential to get some really high rolls.

Take Swift Quiver for one of your Magical Secrets spells, and you can shoot three shots from your longbow each turn.