PDA

View Full Version : Group Perception checks

Hilary
2021-07-17, 10:45 AM
You get ONE roll for a group - two if multiple people are actively searching to represent advantage on the check.

You do NOT get multiple rolls - one per individual.

Apply individual modifiers to the roll. Passive perception acts as a minimum result should the roll be worse than passive perception.

The same can be applied to any Ability check - such as knowledge checks.

The PLAYER who came up with the idea makes the the actual roll.

If none of the characters are proficient in the skill in question, this check is at disadvantage.

If one character is proficient, it is a single roll.

If more than one are proficient, it is at advantage.

After the roll result, individual characters apply their individual modifiers to that result. They all use the same result.

The PLAYER who had the idea STILL makes the roll even if their CHARACTER is not proficient in the skill in question.

If the DM is using ideas for XP, then that player's character gets the XP for the idea whether the check was a success or not (if it's a GOOD idea). I usually award XP equal to 1/30th what is needed to advance to the next level per idea - no more than three such awards per session.

Lunali
2021-07-17, 12:08 PM
That's certainly one way to do it. When I'm DM, passive perception and active perception never apply to the same thing other than in combat rolls to find a hidden creature. As such, I allow everyone in the group to make perception rolls when appropriate to see if their character notices whatever it is.

For knowledge rolls, it depends on what's triggering them. The most common source is wanting information about an enemy, in which case everyone rolls when they first see it but has to communicate any information in character in combat time. If it's a discussion instead, it makes sense to roll a standard group check with bad rolls leading the party further from the correct answer.