PDA

View Full Version : Teleportation Ward

Hranat
2007-11-14, 11:52 AM
Hello everyone, I've got a question...

A lot of dungeons are protected against teleportation, and wizardring villains seem to have some spell to ward their towers, which I can't find anywhere. Now my players are getting quite high-level, and want to create a teleport-safe stronghold. Once someone has access to 9th level spells, such things should be possible, right? Is there a spell? Can someone design one for me?
(if so, thanks a lot)
I simply find it easier to DM a game with actual rules.

Alex12
2007-11-14, 12:54 PM
If you want, you could just convert the psionic power Divert Teleport to a spell (stats for stuff like that is pretty easy), then Permanancy it. Divert Teleport (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/divertTeleport.htm)

Shishnarfne
2007-11-14, 02:00 PM
I believe that this may match what you are looking for:
Dimensional Lock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionalLock.htm)

Corestimah
2007-11-14, 02:09 PM
Try Dimensional Lock, on page 221 of the Player's Handbook. Completely blocks all extradimensional travel, including teleportation. 8th level Sor/Wiz and 8th level Cleric spell, 20 foot radius area that lasts 1 day per level. The most standard and powerful means of blocking unwanted teleportation and planar intrusion. (Darn, Shishnarfne got there while I was typing.)

If you want to be more devious (or just use a lower level spell), then consider
Anticipate Teleportation and Greater Anticipate Teleportation on page 13 of the Spell Compendium (also in Complete Arcane, but at higher levels). 3rd and 6th level, each lasts 24 hours and wards a 5 foot/level radius around a person. If anyone teleports into the spell area, they are delayed 1 round (or 3 for Greater) and the warded creature knows where they will appear, giving her time to prepare for combat or cast a Forcecage where the intruders will appear. I like this option a bit better, because it lulls the party into a false sense of superiority, something to the tune of "HA! Lord Necromancer's lair lacks a Dimensional Lock! Victory is ours!" Then they teleport in, only to find themselves flanked, standing on Lava (Transmute Rock to Lava, also in Complete Arcane & Spell Compendium), trapped in a Forcecage and immediately within a Dimensional Lock, etc... I've never actually pulled this, but the idea is too good to waste!

If you have access to the Wondrous Architecture rules in the Stronghold Builder's Guide, then you can make strongholds with these effects permanently affecting every room. The Market Price formula is Spell level * Caster Level * 500 (because it's easier to enchant a big, immobile structure than a small, portable object), and * .5 because all 3 spells have a duration equal to or exceeding 24 hours (long duration spells are easy to make into permanent items).

Dimensional Lock would be 8 * 15 * 500 * .5, or 30,000 gold pieces per Stronghold Space (usually a 20 by 20 by 10 foot room).
Anticipate Teleportation would be 3 * 5 * 500 * .5, or 3,750 GP per SS, and
Greater Anticipate Teleportation would be 6 * 11 * 500 * .5, or 16,500 GP per SS.

For many strongholds, it would be most economical to use a permanent Anticipate Teleportation, but it could be most useful to have the Greater version due to the longer delay and more information. I would rule that all creatures in a warded area would gain the information, since it affects an area and not a creature.

I hope that this is helpful to you!

Abjurer
2007-11-14, 04:12 PM
You should definitely lace the walls of your stronghold with lead.

It'd cost veritable mountains of cash, but what an absolutely intense way of solving the problem. :smallbiggrin: Plus, you're safe from scrying and detect spells, too.

Then again, I'm not entirely sure lead works against extradimentional travel... but it should, anyways.

Jack_Simth
2007-11-14, 05:15 PM
I've always found the Cleric-5 Forbiddance (http://srd.pbemnexus.com/spellsFtoG.html#forbiddance) to work well. One 60-foot cube per level, permanent duration? Should do the job. Okay, a little bit pricy (1,500 gp per casting, and 1,500 gp per cube - so 3,000 gp minimum) but it gets the job done - unless the teleporter has a lot of SR....

Hranat
2007-11-15, 01:56 PM
Thanks everyone! This should do the trick. :smallsmile: