PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Who's the luckiest?

RNightstalker
2021-07-17, 03:56 PM
Playground,

I built a character based upon the Fortune's Friend PrC and ended up with a dozen or so luck rerolls. But it got me wondering, how can we max this out? Are there any other sources of luck rerolls in addition to the Complete Scoundrel feats, Races of Destiny feats, and the luck domain granted power? Preferably something playable that doesn't rely upon shenanigans and cheese, chaos shuffle, etc.

What say y'all?

pabelfly
2021-07-17, 05:41 PM
The Balam Vestige will give you a reroll once every five rounds, but it's a fifth-level vestige, so you'll get it at Binder 10 (8 with Improved Binder). Knight of the Sacred Seal has an ability at fifth level that will let you reroll this once a day without waiting your five rounds.

If you can get Initiator level 11 for Crusader, you have access to the 6th-level stance "Aura of Perfect Order", which will let you treat any d20 you roll once a turn as an 11. Not quite what you're after, but might help your character concept out.

Thurbane
2021-07-17, 06:40 PM
Phaant’s Luckstone (Ghostwalk p.72): slotless, one use item. 1,000gp each.

Amulet of Fortune Prevailing (MIC p.69): throat, once/day (saves only). 5,000gp.

Mantle of Second Chances (MIC p.115): shoulders slot, once/day. 12,000gp.

Luck Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#luckBlade): one reroll/day. From 22,060gp.

Tattooed Monk (Unicorn tattoo) (CW p.82): one reroll/day. Does not advance casting. You can get the tattoo with a 1 level dip.

Chaotician 5 (PlH p.61): one reroll/day. Does not advance casting.

Dread Pirate (honorable) 5 (CAd p.39): one reroll/day. Does not advance casting.

Kishi Charger 9 (OA p.42): one reroll/day. Does not advance casting.

Chaos Gnome (RoS p.86): +1 LA race that gets one reroll a day as a racial trait.

Gruftzwerg
2021-07-18, 11:55 AM
Fatespinner is a fitting PRC for this. Only 5 lvls, 4/5 spellcasting progression (requires arcane to enter but can progress divine if needed).
Rerolls for you, your allies and you enemies. Rerolls for everbody.
Why bother with luck if you can decide fate?^^

ShurikVch
2021-07-18, 04:02 PM
Swashbuckler 11 - Lucky: reroll any failed attack roll, skill check, ability check, or save, 1/day

Halfling Rogue 3/6/9/12/15/18 (Races of the Wild) - Thief’s Luck, reroll failed Reflex save, up to 6/day (at 18th level), but no more than 1/round

Dragon Prophet 9+ (Magic of Eberron): Bahamut prophetic favor allow to reroll a check or save 1/day

Fatespinner 4 (Complete Arcane): Resist Fate - reroll any roll, 1/day

Legendary Captain 3 (Stormwrack): Luck of the Wind - 1/day reroll a failed attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check; dysfunctional, because we "must reroll before the DM declares whether the roll results in success or failure" - how can we know if our roll is "failed" "before the DM declares" it?

Visionary Seeker 8 (Planar Handbook): Trick Fate - reroll any roll 1/day - but before the DM declares whether the roll results in success or failure

Non-psionic version of Zerth Cenobite 1 (Dragon #281): Sense Fate - reroll any roll 1/day (and no this ridiculous "... before the DM declares ..." this time :smallsmile:)

Feats:
Danger Sense (Dragon #301) - reroll an initiative check
Great Fervor (Dragon #315) - Reroll a failed saving throw and add Wis modifier to new roll
Guardian Spirit (Complete Arcane) - reroll your initiative 2/day, as well as allowing you to reroll any save 1/day
Pirate Luck (Dragon #323) - Once per day, you may reroll one saving throw that you have just made before the DM declares whether the roll results in success or failure.

Maneuvers:
Iron Heart Focus (Warblade 5) - As an immediate action, you can reroll a saving throw you have just made

Spells:
Alter Fortune (Player's Handbook II; Bard/Cleric/Druid/Sorcerer/Wizard 3): target creature rerolls any die roll it just made; as immediate action; 200 XP
Benediction (Complete Champion; Cleric/Paladin 2): at any point before the duration expires, the subject can choose to reroll a single attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check after seeing the result of the initial roll, but before finding out whether it succeeds or fails. The higher of the two rolls applies.
Cheat (Spell Compendium; Bard/Sorcerer/Wizard 1, Greed 1) At one point during the duration of this spell, you can attempt to alter the outcome of a game of chance.
Clarity of Mind (Spell Compendium; Balance 3): reroll concealment miss chance roll
Warp Destiny (Races of Destiny; Destiny 6) reroll a save with insight bonus = CL (up to +20)

Domains:
Force - reroll damage roll, 1/day
Fortune - reroll any roll, 1/day
Luck - reroll any roll, 1/day
Luck (for Paladins, Dragon #328) - reroll any roll, 1/day
Luck (Token of Faith, Dragon #331) - reroll Stabilization attempt 1/day
Pride - reroll "natural 1" on a save, unlimited use

RNightstalker
2021-07-18, 07:00 PM
Legendary Captain 3 (Stormwrack): Luck of the Wind - 1/day reroll a failed attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check; dysfunctional, because we "must reroll before the DM declares whether the roll results in success or failure" - how can we know if our roll is "failed" "before the DM declares" it?

That's not the only time that criteria is mentioned, but we don't need to wait for the DM to tell us it's a success or failure when we roll a 1 on an attack or saving throw.

Thurbane
2021-07-18, 08:13 PM
The Balam Vestige will give you a reroll once every five rounds, but it's a fifth-level vestige, so you'll get it at Binder 10 (8 with Improved Binder).

Arcane Spellcaster + Binder + Anima Mage + Rapid Recovery feat could get you one re-roll every 4 rounds, and you can lose as little as one casting level (or none, with cheese, if you qualify with no Binder levels).

RNightstalker
2021-07-18, 08:28 PM
Arcane Spellcaster + Binder + Anima Mage + Rapid Recovery feat could get you one re-roll every 4 rounds, and you can lose as little as one casting level (or none, with cheese, if you qualify with no Binder levels).

How does that work?

Thurbane
2021-07-18, 08:40 PM
How does that work?

How does the cheese work? There is a solid argument that you can qualify for Anima Mage with no Binder levels, using the standalone Binding feats. Then once you are in, you have an effective Binder level equal to your Anima Mage level - this part is less solid, IMHO.

Harrow
2021-07-18, 10:11 PM
Magic of Eberron has a 3rd level Artificer infusion called Lucky Cape. The wearer of the cloak of cape under the effects of the infusion can discharge it as an immediate action to reroll a saving throw.

Drow of the Underdark has the Ring of Anticipation, which lets you roll twice for initiative and take the better, the only such effect that I'm aware of.

RNightstalker
2021-07-20, 07:17 PM
Tattooed Monk (Unicorn tattoo) (CW p.82): one reroll/day. Does not advance casting. You can get the tattoo with a 1 level dip.
Chaotician 5 (PlH p.61): one reroll/day. Does not advance casting.
Dread Pirate (honorable) 5 (CAd p.39): one reroll/day. Does not advance casting.
Kishi Charger 9 (OA p.42): one reroll/day. Does not advance casting.
Chaos Gnome (RoS p.86): +1 LA race that gets one reroll a day as a racial trait.

Fatespinner is a fitting PRC for this. Only 5 lvls, 4/5 spellcasting progression (requires arcane to enter but can progress divine if needed).
Rerolls for you, your allies and you enemies. Rerolls for everbody.
Why bother with luck if you can decide fate?^^

Swashbuckler 11 - Lucky: reroll any failed attack roll, skill check, ability check, or save, 1/day
Halfling Rogue 3/6/9/12/15/18 (Races of the Wild) - Thief’s Luck, reroll failed Reflex save, up to 6/day (at 18th level), but no more than 1/round
Dragon Prophet 9+ (Magic of Eberron): Bahamut prophetic favor allow to reroll a check or save 1/day
Fatespinner 4 (Complete Arcane): Resist Fate - reroll any roll, 1/day
Visionary Seeker 8 (Planar Handbook): Trick Fate - reroll any roll 1/day - but before the DM declares whether the roll results in success or failure
Non-psionic version of Zerth Cenobite 1 (Dragon #281): Sense Fate - reroll any roll 1/day (and no this ridiculous "... before the DM declares ..." this time :smallsmile:)

Feats:
Danger Sense (Dragon #301) - reroll an initiative check
Great Fervor (Dragon #315) - Reroll a failed saving throw and add Wis modifier to new roll
Guardian Spirit (Complete Arcane) - reroll your initiative 2/day, as well as allowing you to reroll any save 1/day
Pirate Luck (Dragon #323) - Once per day, you may reroll one saving throw that you have just made before the DM declares whether the roll results in success or failure.
Maneuvers:
Iron Heart Focus (Warblade 5) - As an immediate action, you can reroll a saving throw you have just made

Domains:
Force - reroll damage roll, 1/day
Fortune - reroll any roll, 1/day
Luck - reroll any roll, 1/day
Luck (for Paladins, Dragon #328) - reroll any roll, 1/day
Luck (Token of Faith, Dragon #331) - reroll Stabilization attempt 1/day
Pride - reroll "natural 1" on a save, unlimited use

Magic of Eberron has a 3rd level Artificer infusion called Lucky Cape. The wearer of the cloak of cape under the effects of the infusion can discharge it as an immediate action to reroll a saving throw.
Drow of the Underdark has the Ring of Anticipation, which lets you roll twice for initiative and take the better, the only such effect that I'm aware of.

So how can we fit this all together? The Fortune's Friend is the obvious center of a luck-based build, but we can't fit all this in, even in a gestalt. So where's the best bang for the buck?

Thurbane
2021-07-20, 07:37 PM
How much cheese are you willing to accept?

If you accept that you can enter Anima Mage without any Binder levels, then Wizard 5/Anima Mage 10/Fortune's Friend 5 (not necessarily in that order), and still get 9ths.

If you feel a Binder level is required, than Binder 1/Wizard 5/Anima Mage 10/Fortune's Friend 4 (not necessarily in that order), and still get 9ths. Or drop a Wizard level in favour of FF 5, and you get 8ths.

I feel like that re-roll every 5 rounds (or 4 with feat investments) from Balam is just too good to ignore. It's the best "all day long" re-roll ability that I know of.

RNightstalker
2021-07-20, 07:48 PM
How much cheese are you willing to accept?

If you accept that you can enter Anima Mage without any Binder levels, then Wizard 5/Anima Mage 10/Fortune's Friend 5 (not necessarily in that order), and still get 9ths.

If you feel a Binder level is required, than Binder 1/Wizard 5/Anima Mage 10/Fortune's Friend 4 (not necessarily in that order), and still get 9ths. Or drop a Wizard level in favour of FF 5, and you get 8ths.

I feel like that re-roll every 5 rounds (or 4 with feat investments) from Balam is just too good to ignore. It's the best "all day long" re-roll ability that I know of.

It's not about 9ths, its about the most (sources of) luck rerolls. A 1-level cleric dip with the luck and pride domains is nothing to sneeze at.

Thurbane
2021-07-20, 08:41 PM
It's not about 9ths, its about the most (sources of) luck rerolls. A 1-level cleric dip with the luck and pride domains is nothing to sneeze at.

Fair enough; I thought from the OP, you would prefer something a bit more built for playability*.

Preferably something playable that doesn't rely upon shenanigans and cheese, chaos shuffle, etc.

But if you are just looking for the most luck re-rolls, I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

I'm assuming from the way you snipped my quote, you're not that interested in item based options?

*Not to say that only full casters who get 9ths are playable, of course.

Maat Mons
2021-07-20, 09:03 PM
It isn't available until level 17, but Choose Destiny is a ludicrously-good spell for making a lucky character. You roll twice and take the better result on all d20 rolls.

Easily available on a Cleric by taking the Destiny domain. And available to that Cleric multiple times per day if they took the ACF to trade spontaneous casting of Cure spells for spontaneous casting of domain spells. Also available to an Archivist, if they can find a scroll. And with no additional hoop to jump through to get it multiple times per day.

You might not even need more than one casting per day, because Choose Destiny is eligible for Persistent Spell. Clerics can easily get DMM Persist, and Archivists can get it too if they dip for Turn Undead. Having additional casting available might still be advisable though, in case of Dispel.

pabelfly
2021-07-21, 04:21 AM

Why not go Cleric 1/Binder 8 then? You'll get your Luck and Pride domain, a reroll every fourth round, and you've got eleven other levels for luck-based shenanigans?

ShurikVch
2021-07-21, 05:52 AM
Why not go Cleric 1/Binder 8 then? You'll get your Luck and Pride domain, a reroll every fourth round, and you've got eleven other levels for luck-based shenanigans?
Maybe, fit in 5 levels of Knight of the Sacred Seal - to don't wait 5 rounds to use your Balam-granted reroll?

pabelfly
2021-07-21, 06:14 AM
Maybe, fit in 5 levels of Knight of the Sacred Seal - to don't wait 5 rounds to use your Balam-granted reroll?

Only works once a day though. Not sure I'd do it even in a Binder-based build, since you're giving up five levels of Binder class features for it.

RNightstalker
2021-07-21, 04:48 PM
It isn't available until level 17, but Choose Destiny is a ludicrously-good spell for making a lucky character. You roll twice and take the better result on all d20 rolls.
Easily available on a Cleric by taking the Destiny domain. And available to that Cleric multiple times per day if they took the ACF to trade spontaneous casting of Cure spells for spontaneous casting of domain spells. Also available to an Archivist, if they can find a scroll. And with no additional hoop to jump through to get it multiple times per day.
You might not even need more than one casting per day, because Choose Destiny is eligible for Persistent Spell. Clerics can easily get DMM Persist, and Archivists can get it too if they dip for Turn Undead. Having additional casting available might still be advisable though, in case of Dispel.

Only works once a day though. Not sure I'd do it even in a Binder-based build, since you're giving up five levels of Binder class features for it.

My googlefu is failing me. What are the sources for Choose Destiny, Archivist, Binder, and Knight of the Sacred Seal?

bekeleven
2021-07-21, 05:00 PM
I haven't seen anybody mention:

1. Cat domain, from an april fools web article. It has the luck domain granted power.
2. Doomwarding weapons give you 7 rerolls, ever. You can also spend charges on extra attack iirc.

RNightstalker
2021-07-21, 05:10 PM
I haven't seen anybody mention:

1. Cat domain, from an april fools web article. It has the luck domain granted power.
2. Doomwarding weapons give you 7 rerolls, ever. You can also spend charges on extra attack iirc.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to the cat domain would you? lol

I remember the doomwarding enhancement, but it was seriously nerfed from 2nd to 3.0, and again to 3.5.

bekeleven
2021-07-21, 05:31 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a link to the cat domain would you?

It's got a lot of goodies: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c

Thurbane
2021-07-21, 05:54 PM
My googlefu is failing me. What are the sources for Choose Destiny, Archivist, Binder, and Knight of the Sacred Seal?

Choose Destiny: 9th level domain spell of the Destiny domain; RoD p.164.

Archivist: base class; HoH p.82.

Binder: base class; ToM p.9.

Knight of the Sacred Seal: PrC, ToM p.54.

Note: in regards to KotSS, you would get to reactivate the reroll wihtout the 5 round cool down 1/day. With a two feat investment, you can get the base usage down from 1/5 rounds, to 1/4 rounds.

Just remembered, I did this a while back, which may have some build ideas: Sir Saves-a-lot (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?587185)

It's more built specifically around making saves than general re-rolls, though.

So, I'm giving up on Mettle as a class feature, and the build is looking like this (no flaws at this stage, may be added later if allowed):

Human Cleric 6/Divine Oracle 2/Contemplative 6/Ruathar 1/Fortune's Friend 5

Base saves: Fort +8 Ref +10 Will +16 (Fort is lower than I would have liked)

Feats: EnduranceB, Iron Will, Indomitable Soul, Divine Denial, Heroic Destiny, Lucky Start, Protected Destiny, Survivor's LuckB, Unbelievable Luck, Third Times the CharmB

Sounds interesting, can I get a source on that?

RNightstalker
2021-07-21, 06:00 PM
Sounds interesting, can I get a source on that?

Magic of Faerun

Thurbane
2021-07-21, 11:45 PM
(Cloistered) Cleric 6/Fortunes Friend 5/Fatespinner 4/Contemplative 2/Cleric +3 (not necessarily in that order)

Out of the box you have three domains (two if not cloistered); four (or three) once you dip contemplative. If contemplative locks you into a deity that will limit your domain choices, skip it.

H luck feat (or any feat you like)
1 Extend Spell
3 Southern Magician (to qualify for Fatespinner)
6 luck feat
FF2 luck feat
9 luck feat (or any feat you like)
FF2 luck feat
12 luck feat (or any feat you like)
15 Persistent Spell
18 Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell)

I know you said 9ths aren't important, but for this build they are, so you can nab Choose Destiny and Persist it.

Contemplative 2 gives Slippery Mind, which in turn gives a second save 1 round later against Enchantment effects you fail against.

RNightstalker
2021-07-22, 08:19 PM
I was looking at the following build myself:

Cleric 1
Human Paragon 3 (for the bonus feat and spell progression)
Fortune's Friend 4
Cleric 3
Contemplative 10

That gets 18 rerolls and 9th level spells for the Choose Destiny

Thurbane
2021-07-22, 08:39 PM
I was looking at the following build myself:

Cleric 1
Human Paragon 3 (for the bonus feat and spell progression)
Fortune's Friend 4
Cleric 3
Contemplative 10

That gets 18 rerolls and 9th level spells for the Choose Destiny

That also looks very solid.

RNightstalker
2021-07-22, 08:48 PM
That also looks very solid.

Of course Unbelievable Luck doesn't say you can't take it more than once, so you can spam a few more rerolls out of that too lol.

Thurbane
2021-07-22, 08:58 PM
Of course Unbelievable Luck doesn't say you can't take it more than once, so you can spam a few more rerolls out of that too lol.

Unfortunately...

Benefit
What the feat enables the character ("you" in the feat description) to do. If a character has the same feat more than once, its benefits do not stack unless indicated otherwise in the description.

In general, having a feat twice is the same as having it once.

RNightstalker
2021-07-23, 06:01 AM
Freakin' rules...lol