PDA

View Full Version : Evil Goliath Barbarian/Frenzied Breweries build help

nick_crenshaw
2021-07-17, 07:43 PM
So if I were to build an evil goliath barbarian (with at least the first substitute level) frenzied berserker what would be the most optimized build? All book opens.

Maat Mons
2021-07-17, 10:38 PM
Hmm, well Lion Spirit Totem Goliath Barbarian 1 is pretty much a given. You'll probably want Fighter 2 in there to help with those awful feat requirements of Frenzied Berserker. (And the Extra Rage feat(s) you'll probably want, and the ubercharger feats you'll probably want.) That leaves you with 3 levels to play with before Frenzied Berserker. And I imagine you'll go all-in on Frenzied Berserker once you get it, for Supreme Power Attack.

I guess you could throw 2 more levels into Fighter, for one more feat. Or 1 more levels into Barbarian for Uncanny Dodge. There's always Paladin of Slaughter 2 for +Cha to saves. If you don't mind delaying your entry, Goliath Feat Rogue 2 gives you two more feats and Mettle of Mountains.

nick_crenshaw
2021-07-18, 12:06 AM
Hmm, well Lion Spirit Totem Goliath Barbarian 1 is pretty much a given.
I had the same thought on that.

You'll probably want Fighter 2 in there to help with those awful feat requirements of Frenzied Berserker. (And the Extra Rage feat(s) you'll probably want, and the ubercharger feats you'll probably want.)
Could or should I use the Uncontrollable Rage flaw to eliminate one of the Fighter levels.

That leaves you with 3 levels to play with before Frenzied Berserker. And I imagine you'll go all-in on Frenzied Berserker once you get it, for Supreme Power Attack.
I am half tempted to also going Bear Warrior, I just which is the better choice.

I guess you could throw 2 more levels into Fighter, for one more feat. Or 1 more levels into Barbarian for Uncanny Dodge. There's always Paladin of Slaughter 2 for +Cha to saves. If you don't mind delaying your entry, Goliath Feat Rogue 2 gives you two more feats and Mettle of Mountains.
How about taking the Dashing Step ACF?

Lilapop
2021-07-18, 04:12 AM
Every frenzied zerker build eventually comes to the point of having to deal with friendly fire. Whats your plan here? You'll have to account for it in some way in your other build decisions.

- Righteous wrath, if your DM rules that it works; also unlikely to fit your evil character idea
- High will save + rerolls (probably involves delaying the prestige class a touch, but leaves you with a really good will in case some enemy casters look at you funny)
- Wands of grease, which you will outgrow because you have to get a flight item at some point
- Go into the woods in the morning and punch trees until you are out of frenzies
- Be mindcontrolled by your cleric (sounds evil, maybe this is the one for you?)

Another group of decisions is about how important charging is for you.

- Shocktrooper, leap attack
- Dashing step (you don't have enough levels in classes with survival to fuel trapkiller, but AC is kind of a lost cause with shocktrooper)
- Ways to charge around corners (Streetfighter, skill trick, what else is there?)
- Battle jump is silly mechanically, headlong rush gives the enemies a chance to attack when you are at your weakest
- Generally means even more feats you want to take
- Pouncing can also be gained from unupdated (Savage Species) lion's charge (4k for a continuous item), while untyped movespeed bonuses are rare

Maat Mons
2021-07-18, 04:54 AM
Doesn't the Uncontrollable Rage flaw prevent you from activating Rage and Frenzy of your own will? On a Rage/Frenzy-focused character, I wouldn't take a flaw that could lead to less time spent in Rage/Frenzy.

Taking flaws could definitely help though. I'd suggest looking at Bravado, Loudmouth, No Time for Book Learning, and Short Attention span.

Bear Warrior gives you a lot of Strength, but it doesn't let you wield manufactured weapons (outside of a few tricks). That's a major tradeoff. Might be worth it, might not.

Gruftzwerg
2021-07-18, 09:50 AM
Every frenzied zerker build eventually comes to the point of having to deal with friendly fire. Whats your plan here? You'll have to account for it in some way in your other build decisions.

Iron Heart Surge is imho the best solution here. Either dip a martial class or take it via feat. IHS doesn't fall under the restrictions set by Rage/Frenzy. It can be obtained via a feat and doesn't require any concentration or patience (hint: it's a "surge"^^). Further it is useful for many other things...