PDA

View Full Version : I know who Therkla is! *SPOILER*

eof
2007-11-14, 01:15 PM
First post! Woot!

Oh wait, I started the thread. Never mind.

Right, I figured there hadn't been enough threads about this yet, so here goes:

Therkla is Haley's player's new character.

Think about it. Haley and Therkla:

share gender (most players I know play characters of their own gender)
share general "sneaky character" concept (play what you know)
share a hairstyle (inspired by RL looks?)
both like Elan (likely Elan's player and Haley/Therkla's player are a couple IRL)

And it somehow feels right. :smallwink:

It doesn't mean Haley is dead. But Haley's going to be MIA for quite a while, at least. Wait for Belkar's and Roy's players' new characters to appear soon, since the same is probably true for them.

FrostXian
2007-11-14, 01:20 PM
Too bad OOTS do not have players and are actual persons according to Rich's self-created 'verse.

FireDrake
2007-11-14, 01:32 PM
Therkla is Haley's player's new character.

Think about it. Haley and Therkla:

share gender (most players I know play characters of their own gender)
share general "sneaky character" concept (play what you know)
share a hairstyle (inspired by RL looks?)
both like Elan (likely Elan's player and Haley/Therkla's player are a couple IRL)

And it somehow feels right. :smallwink:

It doesn't mean Haley is dead. But Haley's going to be MIA for quite a while, at least. Wait for Belkar's and Roy's players' new characters to appear soon, since the same is probably true for them.

I like this idea, I doubt it will turn up in the plot, it's not important to storyline. But, it's one of those things that can be true for you if it works.

Glass Mouse
2007-11-14, 01:36 PM
Though completely unlikely, I rather like the idea. Especially because it will be extremely amusing (and require quite a bit of roleplaying skills) when Haley comes back and finds Elan being lusted after by... herself :smallwink:

Ganurath
2007-11-14, 01:41 PM
Though completely unlikely, I rather like the idea. Especially because it will be extremely amusing (and require quite a bit of roleplaying skills) when Haley comes back and finds Elan being lusted after by... herself :smallwink:It'd be especially interesting if my idea for Haley's Latent Bisexuality fixing the love triangle problem.

Also, finally a Therkla theory that doesn't offend common sense.

SoD
2007-11-14, 01:45 PM
OK, I admit, I saw this threads title, and thought: ''Oh, god...not another one...'' and when I opened it and saw the word 'Haley' I had the exact same thought...but then I read the post, no I don't think it's going to happen, yes I like the idea a helluva lot more than the Therkla is Haley. The new character thing is better, I think.

However, in terms of controversy on the forum, it's almost as if Therkla was the new Miko...

boomwolf
2007-11-14, 02:29 PM
Well. at least this theory actually makes some sense and is possible.

But I still think she is an all-new secondary character (like miko was, and the LG are)

Iranon
2007-11-14, 02:34 PM
I had a similar impression about Roy and Hinjo... similar enough in abilities and outlook right down to the trash-talking (even if Hinjo's is a little more refined). Giving Roy's player control over Hinjo seems a logical step if Hinjo isn't require to do anything plot-critical before you intend to bring Roy back.

Sequinox
2007-11-14, 02:44 PM
Cool idea... But way too many Therkla = Haley threads going around right now. Glad to see that this wasn't the exact same thing. (I like this idea much more, and it got me to think about the whole thing)

2007-11-14, 02:46 PM
Why is it so hard for people to accept her not 'being' anyone other than a ninja named Therkla who wants to bump uglies with Elan and kill Hinjo?

TreesOfDeath
2007-11-14, 02:47 PM
Though completely unlikely, I rather like the idea. Especially because it will be extremely amusing (and require quite a bit of roleplaying skills) when Haley comes back and finds Elan being lusted after by... herself :smallwink:

Well in another webcomic

(non OTTS)
Dndorks, two players start kissing during a game and they meet after. The next we see of them, the girl is pissed at the guy. It turns out he said the wrong name.... her characthers XD

Arkatsson
2007-11-14, 02:54 PM
Xykon captured Haley, sold Haley to a feudal lord after brainwashing her or some technique like that. Elan takes off the mask and sees Haley at some point.

simanthropy
2007-11-14, 05:14 PM
I'm sorry, but I think this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html) nullifies your theory - therkla and haley are shown to be miles apart at the same time...

MagicPrime
2007-11-14, 05:44 PM
Shouldn't this be in that conspiracy theory thread?

Antamar
2007-11-14, 06:44 PM
This is a good theory for the people who think that players are behind the character's, but I like the theory that Rich almost straight said once, which is that the OotS aren't a DnD game, but a world were the DnD rules are the laws of physics.

holywhippet
2007-11-14, 06:51 PM
I had another thought, but it's hard to debate since we don't know how old Therkla is. During her attempt at confessing her secrets to Elan, Haley admitted to kissing girls more than once. Is there any chance that Therkla is one of those girls? It's not that far fetched, Haley was a thieves guild member and her closest companions would be in that kind of business. A ninja would not be out of place under those circumstances. The fact that Haley is a northerner isn't really much of a problem - the Linear Guild made the trek south so it can't be that far.

kpenguin
2007-11-14, 07:25 PM
I'm sorry, but I think this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html) nullifies your theory - therkla and haley are shown to be miles apart at the same time...

And a player can't play two characters at the same time?

EvilRoeSlade
2007-11-14, 07:35 PM
If that's true, I dread the arrival of Belkar's new character.

Luklan
2007-11-14, 07:50 PM
If that's true, I dread the arrival of Belkar's new character.

It's the dude we can't see, with the black speech bubbles with red lettering. :smallamused:

Talyn
2007-11-14, 08:55 PM

No, see, that actually supports the argument. See, because Haley and Belkar are a gajillion miles away from the rest of the party, their players will need new characters to play, at least temporarily until the party gets reunited.

Hood
2007-11-14, 09:11 PM
Except they don't have players.

It's a Zen thing.

sethdarkwater
2007-11-14, 10:19 PM
Even better I bet it's :thog: sister.

turkishproverb
2007-11-14, 11:24 PM
Even better I bet it's :thog: sister.

Lol. Priceless. I can just see that conversation.

Thog: Thog see tiny man with thogs sister.

ELAN: Sister?!?

Thog: Thog not like sister. sister have cooties. Not-nale will get cooties if he spends time with Thog Sister.

Cloud Weaver
2007-11-14, 11:59 PM
That all makes good sense.

Therkla is Haley's player's temporary char and Thog's sister while Haley is still trapped in AC

Roy's player will be running Hinjo while Roy is dead.

and Belkar's player's is the black and red speech bubble!

Behold_the_Void
2007-11-15, 12:06 AM
It's a possibility.

In On the Origin of the PCs, Redcloaks introduction talks about the players and how not having a player doesn't make him any less of a person.

Regneva
2007-11-15, 04:15 AM
There are no players...

Castamir
2007-11-15, 06:46 AM
There are no players...
That's another Matrix-like conspiracy they want you to disbelieve...

Well in another webcomic
(non OTTS)
Dndorks, two players start kissing during a game and they meet after. The next we see of them, the girl is pissed at the guy. It turns out he said the wrong name.... her characthers XD
When my female friends are concerned, I don't recall calling any of them ever by the given name... And generally, most friends tend to call me by the char name I used at the time when I first met a given person.

Kaelaroth
2007-11-15, 11:35 AM
There are no players...

That's just what they want you to think!
They can hear my thoughts *adjusts tinfoil hat*
I like the idea of Therkla being Haley's alt, good thinking. :smallsmile:

Setra
2007-11-15, 11:36 AM
There are no players...
I've always considered it odd..

If there are no players, then how can they be PCs?

Bongos
2007-11-15, 12:58 PM
Therkla is everyone. She's a ninja she uses disguises..

Koraks
2007-11-15, 01:30 PM

Thank you. So much.

The way I see it, if, in all of 506 strips, we haven't seen one example of "hey that player's new character", I find highly (as in sky high highly) unlikeley that the story would go that way. Because this IS a story you know. Not a D&D campain. Meta-gaming is fun, but I think Rich gives more importance to internal coherence of the story. And why would it be difficult to believe that Elan's 18+ cha (we don't really have confirmation of his exact cha) could charm therkla? No.I think this theory is like a dead fish wobbling on the surface of things.

turkishproverb
2007-11-15, 01:40 PM
Therkla is everyone. She's a ninja she uses disguises..

After seeing your sig, I suddenly suspect Thog.

Bongos
2007-11-15, 02:11 PM
After seeing your sig, I suddenly suspect Thog.

Well you see, that's how ninja's work, by diverting your attention, now that you think it's Thog, which would be obvious, it most definately cannot be Thog, unless the ninja intended for you to think that way, so now the ninja must be Thog, unless of course it's not Thog!

I think all that ice cream Thog eats would have ruined Therkla's girlish figure, and her vocabulary is way too good.

aliron
2007-11-15, 03:26 PM
Because this IS a story you know. Not a D&D campain.

Why can't it be both?

Besides, this theory is an interpretation of the story. OP could've said Therkla and Haley are two sides of the same coin and the point still stands. It might not be right but it's not an invalid interpretation.

It would get pretty weird though if they did have alts on opposing sides. I've never played D&D before but I probably wouldn't want my alt successfully killing my character. Or having my alt serve as cannon fodder for my character or my party's main characters.

turkishproverb
2007-11-15, 03:35 PM
I think all that ice cream Thog eats would have ruined Therkla's girlish figure, and her vocabulary is way too good.

Really good dsiguise and bluff checks?

Bongos
2007-11-15, 10:56 PM
Guess again!

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/superbongos/mikotherklaweb.jpg

The Burninator
2007-11-19, 05:49 PM
A completely different idea: Maybe she's the thing that hides in the shadows and you never see. I know it probably doesn't work but it's just fun to think about.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-11-19, 06:08 PM
So, according to your logic, I'm Haley's player.

Da Rogue is much more Haley-ish than Therkla is. And everyone in SMBG can assure you for that.

Albub
2007-11-19, 06:16 PM
I suspected as much...

Reska
2007-11-19, 11:18 PM
Far be it from me to ruin anyone else's fun...but there's a logical explanation for who Therkla is...

'The Start of Darkness', page 100, 6th panel.

There should be your answer. At least, I think so.

Caractacus
2007-11-20, 01:54 AM
Far be it from me to ruin anyone else's fun...but there's a logical explanation for who Therkla is...

I'm at work and so can't check, but if that has anything to do with anyone's relatives, I hope poor old Ganurath doesn't find this post - it might just cause apoplexy... :smalltongue:

David Argall
2007-11-20, 02:03 AM

SOD That is an answer, but not the one you seem to have in mind. Redcloak's niece is the wrong species and the wrong age. That she is anywhere near Azure City is also nothing but wish.
We also have "You don't need to know any of what is contained [in SOD] to enjoy the main story...you'll never be left after reading a new update going "Huh? I didn't get that." because of anything in [SOD]." And we have no case of a character first appearing in SOD and only later in the strip.

Therkla is a new character. Live with it.

KBF
2007-11-20, 02:21 AM

Seeing your past debates, this is a surprising turn.

I don't see why she has to be anybody but her. I mean, it's like...

Hey, that shadow dancer was really one of the AC paladins!

akumadaimyo
2007-11-20, 03:06 AM
Once again more people reading into every little thing to sound cooler than they are. I was right about the eye patch and I'll never let anyone forget it. :-p I don't think Therkla is "Haley's new PC." It's just a NPC who likes Elan. Elan DOES have a 18 CHA remember? Thus he is a handsome fellow who even evil chicks should lust after.

KBF
2007-11-20, 03:09 AM
I was right about the eye patch and I'll never let anyone forget it.

You and half the people that read OotS.

Bill
2007-11-20, 03:32 AM
This is a good theory for the people who think that players are behind the character's, but I like the theory that Rich almost straight said once, which is that the OotS aren't a DnD game, but a world were the DnD rules are the laws of physics.

At a speech at GenCON a few years ago Rich *DID* say that there are no players. None. Nada. Zippo.

Prowl
2007-11-20, 09:53 AM

I agree. Therkla is Right-Eye's daughter, the one hidden from Xykon in SoD. That she is being raised by "humans or worse" sets the stage for her becoming a ninja.

Prowl
2007-11-20, 09:59 AM
SOD That is an answer, but not the one you seem to have in mind. Redcloak's niece is the wrong species and the wrong age. That she is anywhere near Azure City is also nothing but wish.
We also have "You don't need to know any of what is contained [in SOD] to enjoy the main story...you'll never be left after reading a new update going "Huh? I didn't get that." because of anything in [SOD]." And we have no case of a character first appearing in SOD and only later in the strip.

I don't see how you come to the conclusion that Therkla is not a goblin. She's the right size, has the right skin color, and her hair color is not inappropriate either.

Whether or not we have had in the past a case of a character appearing first in SoD rather than the strip is not determining, IMO - we have one now (although if you want to be really technical about it, she never actually "appears" in SoD, either). The sequestering of Right-Eye's daughter is as obvious a set-up for the later introduction of that character in just this kind of way. One needn't have read SoD to understand the strip; other than Right-Eye's one statement, his daughter appears nowhere else in SoD and nothing else references her.

Prowl
2007-11-20, 11:04 AM
Never mind that on the skin color... her skin is somewhat lighter than a typical goblin, and her eyes are black rather than the typical goblin yellow. However, this could be due to any number of factors and does not mean she's not necessarily a goblin - she is a ninja aka master of disguise, after all.

Caractacus
2007-11-20, 02:09 PM
Never mind that on the skin color... her skin is somewhat lighter than a typical goblin, and her eyes are black rather than the typical goblin yellow. However, this could be due to any number of factors and does not mean she's not necessarily a goblin - she is a ninja aka master of disguise, after all.

I am pretty sure that she isn't who you say she is/might be. I think Rich would have had to be a bit off his game to have mucked up on skin AND eye colour like that.

OTOH, I would very much have liked it to be the case. I just think that, sadly, it isn't.

David Argall
2007-11-20, 03:03 PM
SOD spoilers

So she is a goblin disguised as a half-orc in a human society that hates both? Isn't it really a lot easier to assume she is what she seems? A new character who is just what she seems to be?

The sequestering of Right-Eye's daughter is as obvious a set-up for the later introduction of that character in just this kind of way. One needn't have read SoD to understand the strip; other than Right-Eye's one statement, his daughter appears nowhere else in SoD and nothing else references her.

I count 12 pictures of Right-Eye's daughter. They show her as of 4 or so years ago and she was still growing so we can't get much out of them, but that little also argues she is not Therkla. She is shown as a blond [within the limits of a black & white comic, but clearly not the brunette of Therkla] and her age is also a strike against her. Therkla has achieved a position where she reports directly to Lord Kubota, apparently as his head ninja. That is a stretch to achieve in 4 years even when we allow her to start with some skills. Forcing her to start as a kid cuts into that time drastically.

The only connection is the desire to have a connection.

BigBooter
2007-11-28, 06:18 AM
I don't see how you come to the conclusion that Therkla is not a goblin. She's the right size, has the right skin color, and her hair color is not inappropriate either.

Whether or not we have had in the past a case of a character appearing first in SoD rather than the strip is not determining, IMO - we have one now (although if you want to be really technical about it, she never actually "appears" in SoD, either). The sequestering of Right-Eye's daughter is as obvious a set-up for the later introduction of that character in just this kind of way. One needn't have read SoD to understand the strip; other than Right-Eye's one statement, his daughter appears nowhere else in SoD and nothing else references her.

Two words: pointy ears? :smallwink:

Ok, another few words - skin and eye colour don't mean as much as most people think... take my avatar, for example... half-orc? goblin? aquatic elf? aboleth? :smallbiggrin: