PDA

View Full Version : Latest Anime recommendation thread [no spoilers please]

FdL
2007-11-14, 01:28 PM
Here's the latest edition of the anime recommendation thread. Tell us what you're watching or want to watch, and would like to recommend to the rest.

I've just finished watching all of My-HiME, My-Otome and their specials and the OVAs for the latter (My-Otome Zwei). I didn't like Otome at first but it's really good, it gets better towards the second half and looking in retrospect, it was just me hating it for being an "all weirded out" sequel (for those who are not familiar with it, it takes all the same characters from the first one and places them in a pretty different context and storyline while keeping familiarity at the same time. It's weird)

It does have a fair share of "fan service", but well, it's to be expected from a series with an almost totally feminine cast where they are some kind of flying, fighting super maids. My-HiME is a little more pedestrian in the setting but I'd say it's better for that. More credible.

Also, it seems no one I talk to has seen those, which is strange because I saw them because of their supposed popularity in internet (I kept reading recommendations while looking for anime).

I started watching Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, and its a blast so far. I really enjoyed the first three episodes, was immediately hooked. And I really don't like robot animes, but this one is very fun and action packed.

Koga
2007-11-14, 01:47 PM
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
http://www.sk-team.com/modules/Gallery/images/Bokuratsu%20Tenshi%20Dokuro-chan%20-%20DVD%2003.jpg
Everyone i've shown this anime loves it. (Probably cause they can deal with me and this is just the sortof thing you'd expect from The Koga)

Anyway, it's about an angel from the future. Who travels to the past because God is pissed off at a boy named Sakura. Who creates some sortof technology that stops people from aging. It works too well, and stops them from aging pass twelve. Creating a "pedophyle's utopian".

So really God is upset not only about the utopian, but the fact that Sakura is meddeling with life and death. Dokuro-Chan is convinced she can stop Sakura from creating this technology without killing him. Unfourtanately she is more psychotic then Hannibal Lector on crack, and endsup killing him anyway.. time and time again..

But she can ressurect people with her "Excaliclub" (obviously a play on Excalibur). Even by anime standards I've heard complaints it's too gorey and perverted. But it's so cartoony and random you won't even notice.

If I could describe it to you using other anime. Immagine Sailor Moon type characters mixed in with the complete social awckwardness of FLCL.

turkishproverb
2007-11-14, 01:54 PM
Gundam X.

Its a great mecha show. Understandable, yet not simple characters. Post-apocolyptic setting without nonstop Emo. Cancelled early in japan.

Legend of the galactic heroes. Epic. Havent seen all of it yet though.

Want to see space Runaway ideon, but need to finish.

REC is a good sereis for romance lovers. About 10 15 minute episodes.

X is good for fans of the supernatural. I reccommend the TV series, as the movie condenses things too much.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-14, 02:28 PM
Required watching: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya). Gurren-Lagann would also go here, but you're already watching it.

If you're on this site for the D&D, you really ought to watch Slayers. Find a sub if you can, the dub is rather painful. This same advice apparently applies to Record of Lodoss War, but I haven't seen that myself.

Hmm...Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (that's the series, right?) is something I've been meaning to pick up, as is the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Excel Saga is good for slapstick and parody. Looking back, I haven't watched all that much anime regularly...just sample a variety.

DomaDoma
2007-11-14, 02:53 PM
I'd make my own recommendations, but my two favorite anime are Death Note and FMA, and those are too mainstream to seriously recommend, and I'm only midway through the latter.

(Twenty-five just isn't a good number, is it?)

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-14, 03:12 PM
Halfway through a series is generally where the fit hits the shan. Usually, that's episode 13 for single season series and 25 for two-season ones. Anywhere from five to seven for half-length seasons like Haruhi Suzumiya.

PlatinumJester
2007-11-14, 03:50 PM
Samurai Champloo.

BlackStaticWolf
2007-11-14, 04:03 PM
I'll go ahead and recommend Monster. It's awesome defies description. It's a psychological thriller, and there's really no action per se. In fact, the series would have worked just as well as a live action series. No special effects needed.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is entertaining. Especially the imitation that goes on in the final fight.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-11-14, 04:17 PM
Im fully up to date on Bleach and extremely enjoyed it. I also recomend Death note, which was brilliant untill (i suppose) it jumped the shark, at a point which cannot be revealed for the risk of spoilers

CrazedGoblin
2007-11-14, 04:18 PM
FMA

got to love it :smallbiggrin:

Exeson
2007-11-14, 04:58 PM
Samurai Champloo seconded

Redpieper
2007-11-14, 05:05 PM
Hmm Hayate the combat butler is pretty funny and ongoing :smallbiggrin:

Trigun is a classic :smallyuk:

Heroic age is amazing, but do note it is sci-fi mecha-ish

Samurai Champloo thirded

Hmm that's all for now :smallwink:

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-14, 05:32 PM
Well, since you seem to be going for the shounen, romantic comedy type of shows, I would recommend the follwing.

Seto no Hanayome.
Goushousama Ninomiya-kun

yoshi927
2007-11-14, 05:43 PM
I'm between series' right now, looking for "Visions of Escaflowne". Well, my big two as far as reccomendations go are Hunter X Hunter and Law of Ueki.

mause
2007-11-14, 05:55 PM
One Piece

It's a long runnig anime and it has 330 episodes!

humor drama and fights!

DomaDoma
2007-11-14, 05:55 PM
Death note, which was brilliant untill (i suppose) it jumped the shark, at a point which cannot be revealed for the risk of spoilers

I'll have to admit I didn't find those two certain characters particularly likeable - at least before I read the manga in the case of the smaller one - but certain characters who had been there all along, especially the one who dented something with his thumbnail...

...yeah, can we take this to PM?

Lemur
2007-11-14, 08:01 PM
First off, I saw Paprika recently, and it was awesome. In fact, anything by Satoshi Kon is probably worth watching (which in addition to his other movies includes the anime series Paranoia Agent). Crazy animation, crazy music, crazy stuff.

I've acquired a fair amount of current subs it seems, and have yet to watch any of it.

What I have seen of Minami-ke has been pretty good. It's not often I say that about shows where nothing happens either (i.e. there's no plot). Just a well done comedy with schoolgirls (go figure).

I'm seriously behind on the episodes for it, but Denno Coil has proven itself interesting. Unfortunately every description I can think of for it will probably give a different impression than what the series is actually like. Sort of a mystery type show with kids finding out about an urban legend related to the advanced virtual reality Internet in their town.

Someone mentioned Kenichi. My two cents is that while I enjoyed it, it's probably not something I'd recommend to others, unless they had a vested interest in fighting anime. It's not anything outstanding, but it has a good voice cast, and of course, lots of fighting. Unfortunately Siegfried, the best character in the show, takes entirely too long to show up.

And seriously, start watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you haven't already. I don't want to oversell it, but it really is worth checking out, once you can actually remember it's ridiculous name. Speaking of which, don't forget to throw reason to the curb when watching it. Of course, if you expect anime, hell, any cartoon to actually make sense, then maybe you shouldn't be watching them.

some kind of flying, fighting super maids

You can say magic girl. It's okay. :smalltongue:

FdL
2007-11-14, 11:18 PM
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan

The one with the crazy girl with the spiked club!!! I always forget about this one! I'll get it next (getting Trigun currently).

Also, great idea that of posting some image along with recommendation. Anime is very visual. You can't just mention the plot and expect someone to get into it really. Will edit my post later tomorrow.

I'd totally watch One Piece, but there's so much of it... :s I can't even begin getting it.

Amotis
2007-11-15, 01:17 AM
Required watching: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya).

Motion to second?

Yay.

Motion to second passed. tMoHS seconded.

It's basically the standard in which I hold most animes to. It's animation is flawlessly detailed. It burns my eyes to go from something like that to...say Berserk or something. Burns. It's funny, twisting, and above all very entertaining. I strongly recommend it. Even have to non-anime watchers.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-15, 01:20 AM
Yeah. It's closer to being an American sitcom in pacing and humor, dressed up in every anime trope in existence. Because for some reason you can't make anime that's not self-aware about being an anime...not that that's a bad thing, it's just kind of a constant.

Haruki-kun
2007-11-15, 01:21 AM
I'm gonna say....... Zero no Tsukaima and Shakugan no Shana

And I'm currently watching Kaze no Stigma......... and it's pretty good.

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-15, 01:24 AM
I would agree with the above poster. However, the second season of Zero no Tsukaima was a bit disappointing, especially when you compare it to the novels.

Actually one of the anime I am currently enjoying is based of an Pen and Paper RPG Game from Japan.

NightWizard the Animation.

Tengu
2007-11-15, 01:33 AM
Motion to second passed. tMoHS seconded.

It's basically the standard in which I hold most animes to. It's animation is flawlessly detailed. It burns my eyes to go from something like that to...say Berserk or something. Burns. It's funny, twisting, and above all very entertaining. I strongly recommend it. Even have to non-anime watchers.

These are very high standards - is there something that ever beat them? It's hard to find a better anime than Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. It's in my top 5, along with FMA, Evangelion, Trigun and FLCL (which made Ergo Proxy drop from the list).

Poison_Fish
2007-11-15, 03:12 AM
I'm seriously behind on the episodes for it, but Denno Coil has proven itself interesting. Unfortunately every description I can think of for it will probably give a different impression than what the series is actually like. Sort of a mystery type show with kids finding out about an urban legend related to the advanced virtual reality Internet in their town.

It's the matrix for kids.

Setra
2007-11-15, 03:31 AM
Well the most recent anime I have watched would be Death Note, but I hear the manga is better. Still the anime was fun to watch.

Hmm...

Well Air is very good.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-15, 03:33 AM
What I have seen of Minami-ke has been pretty good. It's not often I say that about shows where nothing happens either (i.e. there's no plot). Just a well done comedy with schoolgirls (go figure).

I actually think that these are two of the best recent shows.

I was unsure of Minami-ke at first, but half way through the first episode I realised that it was basically a cross between Azumanga Daioh and Wallace and Grommit.

Denno Coil is a very good anime in all respects.

FdL
2007-11-15, 06:28 AM
And seriously, start watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann if you haven't already. I don't want to oversell it, but it really is worth checking out, once you can actually remember it's ridiculous name. Speaking of which, don't forget to throw reason to the curb when watching it. Of course, if you expect anime, hell, any cartoon to actually make sense, then maybe you shouldn't be watching them.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy it seems. But it's all in the name of entertainment. The art is special too, seems to be sloppy or wacky, though very organic, and then you get some mindblowing action scenes.

You can say magic girl. It's okay. :smalltongue:

But but...they're actually maids! Virgin maids! With nano-tech armors! @_@

Also, I'd have to remember the term "magical girl" in first place :b

There's a prequel thing coming too, called My-Otome S.ifr or 0. I think it was gonna be a miniseries of OVAs but I heard it got upgraded to a full series. Not crazy on the prequel thing, but I'm actually glad there's more of it.

Now I need a TTG-L wallpaper and I'm set.

Manga Shoggoth
2007-11-15, 07:57 AM
If you're on this site for the D&D, you really ought to watch Slayers. Find a sub if you can, the dub is rather painful. This same advice apparently applies to Record of Lodoss War, but I haven't seen that myself.

Lodoss War is very good - just remember that it is a relatively old anime. It has the feel of straight D&D, more than any other fantasy (anime or otherwise) I have seen.

I would also tend to throw in "Louie the Rune Soldier", which is D&D with somewhat more humour.

Currently I am watching Negima, Fruits Basket and Oh My Goddess TV. I would recomend the latter two to anybody.

Gamereon
2019-10-16, 03:31 PM
Dragon Ball Super, HighSchool DxD are one of the best to watch. Alternatively, you can also watch the devil is a part-timer! its amazing, Season 2 will be released soon maybe.

Peelee
2019-10-17, 03:49 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: This was the latest in 2007, now it's just "the late."

because it's dead.