PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Villain seeding and tactics

KyleG
2021-07-19, 05:43 AM
This is a two part problem...

One of my players is a bounty hunter and i want her to have very limited information on a target. When they come to this city (where the campaign is based) they will likely meet a number of characters who fit a somewhat vague details she has.
The villain is thought responsible for a number of murders of political persons and its thought they might disrupt this citys politicians in the same way.

He will turn out to be the bodyguard of one of the politicians and although he does his bidding (see previous cities) he is actually working for our campaign big bad.

The second problem is the stat block. He is a goliath and i like the idea he is a rune knight and or uses tattoos. Perhaps he has some minions as tattoos or something that lets him get away with several political assassinations in the past. I expect the party to face him around level 6 so he can be a decent CR. Anything you might reccomend to model off?

Got any suggestions on either problem?

Unoriginal
2021-07-19, 07:53 AM
This is a two part problem...

One of my players is a bounty hunter and i want her to have very limited information on a target. When they come to this city (where the campaign is based) they will likely meet a number of characters who fit a somewhat vague details she has.
The villain is thought responsible for a number of murders of political persons and its thought they might disrupt this citys politicians in the same way.

He will turn out to be the bodyguard of one of the politicians and although he does his bidding (see previous cities) he is actually working for our campaign big bad.

The second problem is the stat block. He is a goliath and i like the idea he is a rune knight and or uses tattoos. Perhaps he has some minions as tattoos or something that lets him get away with several political assassinations in the past. I expect the party to face him around level 6 so he can be a decent CR. Anything you might reccomend to model off?

Got any suggestions on either problem?

Sorry, I don't get what the first problem is. You're not sure which info to give?

For the statblock, I suggest using the Gladiator as a starting point. Or you could use Mirt from Dragon Heist as the basis. Changing the equipment and adding the Goliath perks would be enough.

Mirt in particular works well for someone who is a big dangerous bruiser but still know how to Rogue when needed.

You could easily add Rune Knight-like powers, or as you said you could say that the guy has magic tattoos that let him summon the creatures depicted in said tattoos. "Devoured by a magical leopard" is one hell of a political assassination.

Kvess
2021-07-19, 10:17 AM
If you want to use existing mechanics for the tattoos, you could give them the effects of various figurines of wonderous power. The interesting options for combat are the lions, the elephant, and the owl, and you could also give your villain the raven to communicate with a collaborator and the giant fly to make a getaway.

The Ivory Goats are also fun, and give the villain access to a magic weapon in situations where weapons may otherwise be prohibited.

KorvinStarmast
2021-07-19, 10:21 AM
If you want to use existing mechanics for the tattoos, you could give them the effects of various figurines of wonderous power. The interesting options for combat are the lions, the elephant, and the owl, and you could also give your villain the raven to communicate with a collaborator and the giant fly to make a getaway.

The Ivory Goats are also fun, and give the villain access to a magic weapon in situations where weapons may otherwise be prohibited.
Ivory goats can also provide a nutritious breakfast (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/q/114163/22566) for the party.

KyleG
2021-07-19, 02:13 PM
Sorry, I don't get what the first problem is. You're not sure which info to give?

For the statblock, I suggest using the Gladiator as a starting point. Or you could use Mirt from Dragon Heist as the basis. Changing the equipment and adding the Goliath perks would be enough.

Mirt in particular works well for someone who is a big dangerous bruiser but still know how to Rogue when needed.

You could easily add Rune Knight-like powers, or as you said you could say that the guy has magic tattoos that let him summon the creatures depicted in said tattoos. "Devoured by a magical leopard" is one hell of a political assassination.

Mirt looks like a great option. Thanks.
As to the first part, im not sure a) what info to give the ranger that she came here with, b) and how to seed the possibilities of who the target is.
I'm now also thinking maybe not all the political moves they made were murders. Maybe they make people disappear, get them to change their position on matters etc.
I might use the tashas tattoos to give him something specific to the task. Eg. Maybe he had a geas spell tattoo in the past. More permanent tattoos could be minion creatures that he uses...like your leopard idea.