PDA

View Full Version : TV Help Me Remember An Anime(...I think)

Rater202
2021-07-19, 01:39 PM
This has been bugging me for years.

Anime, or at least anime art style English Dub aired on Toonami in the united states, back in the late 90s or Early 2000s—pretty sure it was the Tom 2.0 era—but I can't remember for how long... I didn't really care for it at the time, it seemed boring and honestly, I think it replaced something I liked, but for the last, like, almost a decade I've been trying to remember what it was called because I want to look it up and see what it was actually about.

There were demons... Or people called Demons, at least, with retractable feathery wings... I think there was a catgirl? I recall a military-type referring to a woman with wings as "a demon I would gladly let steal my soul" or something like that while someone behind him is panicking...

Like, was this a thing or did I have a vivid hallucination when I was a kid and not realize it?

Wintermoot
2021-07-19, 01:43 PM

Anime, or at least anime art style English Dub aired on Toonami in the united states, back in the late 90s or Early 2000s—pretty sure it was the Tom 2.0 era—but I can't remember for how long... I didn't really care for it at the time, it seemed boring and honestly, I think it replaced something I liked, but for the last, like, almost a decade I've been trying to remember what it was called because I want to look it up and see what it was actually about.

There were demons... Or people called Demons, at least, with retractable feathery wings... I think there was a catgirl? I recall a military-type referring to a woman with wings as "a demon I would gladly let steal my soul" or something like that while someone behind him is panicking...

Like, was this a thing or did I have a vivid hallucination when I was a kid and not realize it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Toonami

Place to start. Pick a year and look through the descriptions for pictures until you find the one you want. Doesn't sound familiar to me though.

Julian84
2021-07-19, 02:32 PM

Ronin Warriors sounds like it might be a fit. Only other ones from that period with Demons afaik were Rave Master and Zatch Bell.

Lord Raziere
2021-07-19, 02:34 PM
let see.....Tom 2.0.....here is a list of all the shows of the Tom 2.0 era on wikipedia:

Batman: The Animated Series
Batman Beyond
The Big O
Blue Submarine No. 6
Cardcaptors
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
G-Gundam
Gundam Wing
Hamtaro
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Outlaw Star
The Powerpuff Girls
ReBoot
Ronin Warriors
Sailor Moon
Superman: The Animated Series
Tenchi in Tokyo
Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi Universe
Thundercats
Transformers: Armada
Yu Yu Hakusho
Zoids: New Century Zero
Zoids: Chaotic Century

honestly, you might be misremembering something, there is a lot of sci-fi in this line up so we have to filter for fantasy here:

Batman: The Animated Series
Batman Beyond
Cardcaptors
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Hamtaro
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
The Powerpuff Girls
Ronin Warriors
Sailor Moon
Superman: The Animated Series
Tenchi in Tokyo
Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi Universe
Thundercats
Yu Yu Hakusho

Filter for anime art style:

Cardcaptors
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Ronin Warriors
Sailor Moon
Tenchi in Tokyo
Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi Universe
Yu Yu Hakusho

and yeah....I don't think its very likely that its any of these shows because a lot of them are pretty well known or recognizable, the only one I'd say wouldn't be recognizable is Ronin Warriors but thats just a Saint Seiya ripoff apparently, and they fight demonic-like beings from underworld. might be an obscure Dragonball filler episode, or obscure Sailor Moon joke though I don't see Sailor Moon show having that kind of humor, maybe Yu Yu Hakusho? I don't think its Cardcaptors, doesn't seem like the type of show that'd make that joke. I haven't seen some of these so we can't really say for sure? probably not Tenchi Muyo, the inspirations don't line up....

like I don't doubt that a show probably made that joke sometime somewhere, but looking at this, I don't think its likely that it was on Toonami.

JadedDM
2021-07-19, 04:01 PM
As someone who is basically a self-proclaimed expert on Ronin Warriors (I've watched it dozens of times and may have been a bit obsessed with it as a youth), I'm pretty sure this isn't the show Rater is looking for. It does not include catgirls or winged folk at all, but rather is about a bunch of teenage boys that wear elemental samurai armor that they can summon at will, that they use to fight undead soldiers from another dimension.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FatGlisteningBetafish-size_restricted.gif

TeChameleon
2021-07-19, 09:12 PM
Unless I missed something in my watchthrough of Yu Yu Hakusho, that's not the one in question- there's a noticeable dearth of both feathery wings and military types in the series.

Honestly, from the description, Urusei Yatsura would be my first guess, although that's mostly the humour, the (sorta) catgirl connection, and the demon thing. I don't remember a lot of feathery wings being involved, though... also, it doesn't seem to have aired on Toonami :smallconfused:

I can see Tenchi Muyo throwing out that joke, and wings were a recurring motif, but my memory of the series is fuzzy at best. Beyond that, not sure how much I can help.

Ramza00
2021-07-19, 09:36 PM
As someone who is basically a self-proclaimed expert on Ronin Warriors (I've watched it dozens of times and may have been a bit obsessed with it as a youth), I'm pretty sure this isn't the show Rater is looking for. It does not include catgirls or winged folk at all, but rather is about a bunch of teenage boys that wear elemental samurai armor that they can summon at will, that they use to fight undead soldiers from another dimension.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FatGlisteningBetafish-size_restricted.gif

Aww to be 12* again :smallamused:

*I may have been 10 or 11, I remember what house I was living in at that time but can't remember exactly.

Rynjin
2021-07-20, 05:10 AM
You got...any more details chief? This could describe almost literally any anime that was lost to time for being a bit generic. Even vague genre would help. You say "military type"; modern military, space police, anything?

Lord Raziere
2021-07-20, 07:17 AM
You got...any more details chief? This could describe almost literally any anime that was lost to time for being a bit generic. Even vague genre would help. You say "military type"; modern military, space police, anything?

....Yeah your right. that joke and scene described could be any harem comedy put on screen. we might as well be trying to find a certain kind of hay in a haystack if we look outside Toonami, because a needle would be actually different.

Rater202
2021-07-20, 07:30 AM
I don't think it was a joke. The line sounded serious. Or at least I remember it being serious.

The art style on Tenchi looks the closest to what I remember but that doesn't feel right... Granted, I don't particularly care for harem anime so I never really got past a surface-level knowledge of it...

Lord Raziere
2021-07-20, 07:47 AM
I don't think it was a joke. The line sounded serious. Or at least I remember it being serious.

The art style on Tenchi looks the closest to what I remember but that doesn't feel right... Granted, I don't particularly care for harem anime so I never really got past a surface-level knowledge of it...

Then why care about this Rater? just forget it, all your going to find down this road is unresolved romance and bad jokes if you can't help narrow it down better.

Rater202
2021-07-20, 07:49 AM
Then why care about this Rater?

Have you never had a question that's been bugging you for years?

LaZodiac
2021-07-20, 07:50 AM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was Escaflowne.

Lord Raziere
2021-07-20, 07:52 AM
Have you never had a question that's been bugging you for years?

I mean I get it, I once was confused as to what the music in LotR ads were since it was so great and couldn't find it and it turned out to be Adiemus and actually by someone completely different than the people who did the LotR soundtrack, which drove me crazy for years until I learned, but this case is a bit harder to narrow and clear up don't you think?

@ Zodi: I have watched Escaflowne, it does not have demons.

Rater202
2021-07-20, 07:56 AM

That... Looks a lot closer, but was on Fox Kids rather than Toonami... I could have misremembered the channel though.

Edit: Thank you Zodi! I was remembering the wrong channel.

Character designs of certain characters are identical to what scenes I remember—especially the cat girl, and the characters with the floofy angel wings were hated and considered cursed so.. Mabe the demon stuff was a dubism?

LaZodiac
2021-07-20, 08:08 AM
I mean I get it, I once was confused as to what the music in LotR ads were since it was so great and couldn't find it and it turned out to be Adiemus and actually by someone completely different than the people who did the LotR soundtrack, which drove me crazy for years until I learned, but this case is a bit harder to narrow and clear up don't you think?

@ Zodi: I have watched Escaflowne, it does not have demons.

Could be symbolic. The mechs are pretty demonic too, so it could have convinced Rater that's something that WAS said

That... Looks a lot closer, but was on Fox Kids rather than Toonami... I could have misremembered the channel though.

Character designs of certain characters are identical to what scenes I remember—especially the cat girl, and the characters with the floofy angel wings were hated and considered cursed so.. Mabe the demon stuff was a dubism?

I wanna make it clear my immediate instinct on seeing your first post was Escaflowne but I was gonna wait for a bit more details just in case. Glad to know I've still got it :smallamused:

It is entirely possible they meant demon in the symbolic sense, or you just misheard. I haven't watched Escaflowne in forever.

Anyway I would highly recommend Escaflowne it is REALLY good!

Lord Raziere
2021-07-20, 08:14 AM

Okay so it might be Escaflowne.

do you remember any of the following: a protagonist girl from Earth who seems at first can predict the future but it is actually creating it? knightly giant mecha powered by dragon hearts? overwrought drama between a blond pretty boy and black haired hero guy over said protag girl? villainous cat girl twins? villainous white haired pretty boy yelling about his dog-man-friend named "Jejukas"? Isaac Newton being transported to a fantasy world, founding an empire in it and becoming its leader all so he can build a fate machine to control everyone so he can stop war by destroying free will?

Rater202
2021-07-20, 08:18 AM
Okay so it might be Escaflowne.

do you remember any of the following: a protagonist girl from Earth who seems at first can predict the future but it is actually creating it? knightly giant mecha powered by dragon hearts? overwrought drama between a blond pretty boy and black haired hero guy over said protag girl? villainous cat girl twins? villainous white haired pretty boy yelling about his dog-man-friend named "Jejukas"? Isaac Newton being transported to a fantasy world, founding an empire in it and becoming its leader all so he can build a fate machine to control everyone so he can stop war by destroying free will?

No. I oly ever saw a couple of scenes.

But Vaan and Merle look exactly like what I remember of what I saw, so...

Lord Raziere
2021-07-20, 08:24 AM
No. I oly ever saw a couple of scenes.

But Vaan and Merle look exactly like what I remember of what I saw, so...

ah.

well good then.

nice to see Zodi's seemingly random guess work out then. let me know what you think of the crazy train that is Escaflowne whenever you get around to watching it.

LaZodiac
2021-07-20, 08:30 AM
ah.

well good then.

nice to see Zodi's seemingly random guess work out then. let me know what you think of the crazy train that is Escaflowne whenever you get around to watching it.

i mean it wasn't a random guess. I can think of like two, maaaybe three series that have military folk, angel wings, cat girls, and vaguely demonic imagery. And exactly one show that has all that and vaguely looks like Tenchi Miyo. That bit of detail rose it from like, 80% to 100%.

Ramza00
2021-07-20, 12:50 PM

Probably a dubism. Shares way too much information.

There is now 3 dubs for Escaflowne in 2021.

The edited Fox Kids version, the original non edited Dub same Voice Actors different content, and then the 20th Anniversary don by new people at Funanimation when the show came out on Blu-ray (also the original English company who did the dub and distributed it has folded to my understanding.)

The Fox Kids Escaflowne only aired for like 9 episodes and should have never been greenlight in the first place for they were asking for impossible demands. They wanted to make it for a younger boy audience, make it more violent, yet also edit out some of the most gruesome blood for they were selling this show to 9 year olds, and all the game of thrones and other metaphors of politics and personal desires that drive the plot, reduce those for they are boring or too complicated for 9 year olds.

So they abandoned the process. Yet the full show was dubbed and aired in other countries un-edited such as Canada, sold as expensive VHSes, and then later sold as a DVD.

And the 5 years ago there was a 20th anniversary re-release both a more casual copy but also a special edition with all this merch such as Hitomi’s Tarot card deck.

Escaflowne was not my first anime, but it was the first one I feel in love with at the age of 14.

JadedDM
2021-07-20, 03:08 PM
Aww to be 12* again :smallamused:

*I may have been 10 or 11, I remember what house I was living in at that time but can't remember exactly.

Man, the music slapped, though. Those electric guitars! So very 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I7X_p-f9q4

Always got me pumped up as a kid. Still does!

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PPANtjSUyiA/WAcKXr6g40I/AAAAAAAAEQc/zpRnLX5LuKUXbPJGwRZyfDXfcRZ7JrUbACLcB/s1600/tumblr_mmr3zavyHh1r8dy8go1_500.gif

Rynjin
2021-07-20, 04:47 PM

I had thought about asking Rater if the cat girl was particularly annoying or not to help narrow it to this show, but then got bamboozled by the "demons".

Rater202
2021-07-20, 11:30 PM
I had thought about asking Rater if the cat girl was particularly annoying or not to help narrow it to this show, but then got bamboozled by the "demons".

Yeah.

In hindsight, I'm wondering if that was less a recurring theme and more just how the dub decided to translate one particular scene.

Like, the Draconinans with their wings are hated and considered to be cursed, or bring curses, or whatever.

Could just be those two guys in that one scene referring to the one woman as a demon.

Or it could have been a dubism.