PDA

View Full Version : LA and Spellcasters

AmberVael
2007-11-14, 02:36 PM
Just a random thought I wanted to pop out there, I'm not really biased one way or another- just thought it might be interesting to see what people think.

Normally, level adjustment in combination with spellcasting-type classes is quite bad (unless you're focusing less on the spells and just need them for some temporary bonus or something).
So I had a thought:
What if Practiced Spellcaster / Manifester applied to level adjustment as well, and not just class levels? It wouldn't net you any more spell levels or spells per day, but it would increase your caster level by a respectable amount.

Would this make level adjustment more enticing to spellcasting type builds? Granted, a full caster might still be better, but would it open up some interesting and useful options?

Wolfwood2
2007-11-14, 03:28 PM
So I had a thought:
What if Practiced Spellcaster / Manifester applied to level adjustment as well, and not just class levels? It wouldn't net you any more spell levels or spells per day, but it would increase your caster level by a respectable amount.

Would this make level adjustment more enticing to spellcasting type builds? Granted, a full caster might still be better, but would it open up some interesting and useful options?

No. No it would not.

Thou shalt not give up thy highest level spells per day. It's the holy commandment of playing spellcasters.

I hear in 4E they're going to fix this by taking power from multiclassers off the bottom instead of off the top. So you can take 1 level of wizard and still get as big a boom from it (or nearly so) as the guy who took all his levels in wizard, but you won't have all the 1001 lower level abilities he's developed to help him in minor ways.

mostlyharmful
2007-11-14, 03:34 PM
It wouldn't net you any more spell levels or spells per day

Nothing more to say really. compare a drow wizard who's spells last margically longer and who penetrates spell resistance marginally more often, as contrasted with a human that's casting spells a level or two higher... teleport vs limited wish... disintergrate vs timestop.....

Alex12
2007-11-14, 03:45 PM
Two words. Mind Flayers. Do you really want them having access to fifth-level powers that are treated like they're level 16?

AmberVael
2007-11-14, 03:49 PM
No. No it would not.

Thou shalt not give up thy highest level spells per day. It's the holy commandment of playing spellcasters.

I hear in 4E they're going to fix this by taking power from multiclassers off the bottom instead of off the top. So you can take 1 level of wizard and still get as big a boom from it (or nearly so) as the guy who took all his levels in wizard, but you won't have all the 1001 lower level abilities he's developed to help him in minor ways.

I know the "holy commandment," but full spellcasting builds aren't the only ones out there who take advantage of caster levels. I was thinking more in that direction.

Xaros
2007-11-14, 08:32 PM
I know that Ardents (from Complete Psionic) can benefit from Practiced Manifester - their highest level powers are restricted only by their manifester level. Thus, a PC with five racial hit dice could, with their second Ardent level (first is needed to qualify for Practiced Manifester), take powers from their mantles up to third level (their manifester level is sixth).

Crow
2007-11-14, 10:19 PM
Practiced Spellcaster will increase your caster level up to your hit dice. So if you had more hit dice than class levels, you could get some duration boosts and whatnot. No more spells though, unless you get more class levels.

Reinboom
2007-11-14, 10:20 PM
Practiced Spellcaster will increase your caster level up to your hit dice. So if you had more hit dice than class levels, you could get some duration boosts and whatnot. No more spells though, unless you get more class levels.

Aye, I think the point of vael's statement was to make practiced spellcaster and similar work with level adjustment as well as hit dice. (It only works with hit dice currently).

AtomicKitKat
2007-11-14, 11:19 PM
Two words. Mind Flayers. Do you really want them having access to fifth-level powers that are treated like they're level 16?

Very much so. People should either be fleeing in terror or offering up their brains.:smallmad: