PDA

View Full Version : Forum Link on Comic Pages?

headhoncho
2007-11-14, 02:38 PM
Perhaps this has been suggested a million times before, but I haven't seen it after a quick scroll through some current threads. So...

...what about the idea of putting a forum link (at top and bottom, perhaps even as a button) to the relevant discussion thread on the comic strip in question on the actual comic page itself? I bet it would drive a lot more readers to your forums! I myself never knew they existed, until I stumbled across them one day.

Like I said, just a thought. Keep up the tremendous work! Absolutely LOVED #506, along with the entire current arc.

HH

Mordan
2007-11-14, 04:01 PM
You mean the big button on the Left Hand side of the screen marked Forum?

headhoncho
2007-11-14, 04:11 PM
You mean the big button on the Left Hand side of the screen marked Forum?

Your sarcasm is duly noted. To answer you seriously for a moment, however, the big button on the left side of the screen is below-the-fold for most monitors. It's also generic. What I'm suggesting is a direct link to the forum discussion ABOUT THAT SPECIFIC COMIC. In an above-the-fold, labeled-as-such manner.

Again, my feeling (from both my personal experience here as a reader, and my general knowledge of Internet advertising/marketing, which is not insigificant) is that doing so would drive significantly more traffic to the Forums. It's great to know that people are talking about the specific comic in real-time.

That said, it might be too much of a pain on a technical level, and it might also be undesirable for there to be more traffic in the forums, if there is a bandwidth issue.

It is, however, presented here as food for thought.

HH

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-14, 06:55 PM
Your sarcasm is duly noted. To answer you seriously for a moment, however, the big button on the left side of the screen is below-the-fold for most monitors.
With all due respect, the bottom of each comic is even further below the fold. As such, you certainly pass the link by often enough. :smallwink:

It's also generic.
Which is good. Navigation shouldn't distract the user from the content.

Though Navigation should really all be above-the-fold.

Again, my feeling (from both my personal experience here as a reader, and my general knowledge of Internet advertising/marketing, which is not insigificant) is that doing so would drive significantly more traffic to the Forums.
We're not exactly traffic-starved here. And, given developments in the past year, we probably don't want a whole lot more traffic (see the relavent announcement page). Too much growth too quickly can definitely be a bad thing.

It's great to know that people are talking about the specific comic in real-time.
Yet, message boards aren't meant for real-time communication. :smalleek:

headhoncho
2007-11-14, 07:20 PM
We're not exactly traffic-starved here. And, given developments in the past year, we probably don't want a whole lot more traffic (see the relavent announcement page). Too much growth too quickly can definitely be a bad thing.

I am aware. Like I said, pros and cons. It depends on the goals of the administrators. I think the current comic discussions are incredibly valuable (and indeed, as close to real-time as bulletin boards get), but it took me a long time to even know they existed.

My entire suggestion is predicated on the assumption that greater awareness and traffic to the forums is desired. If it's not, then please ignore the suggestion.

HH

dakiwiboid
2007-11-16, 03:01 AM
What I'm suggesting is a direct link to the forum discussion ABOUT THAT SPECIFIC COMIC.

These days, each comic seems to spawn at least a dozen or more discussion threads. That could make for mighty difficult linking.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-11-16, 07:43 AM
These days, each comic seems to spawn at least a dozen or more discussion threads. That could make for mighty difficult linking.
He means the official discussion thread. The one started by the Giant with three pages of "Great Work!", "Another masterpiece, Rich", and the occasional "Eh, not the best, but still funny" tagged on in less than thirty seconds. :smalltongue:

headhoncho
2007-11-16, 02:28 PM
He means the official discussion thread. The one started by the Giant with three pages of "Great Work!", "Another masterpiece, Rich", and the occasional "Eh, not the best, but still funny" tagged on in less than thirty seconds. :smalltongue:

And the ones with the explanation of jokes for those who aren't familiar with some of the gaming or other conventions. And the ones with occasionally fun and interesting theories and revelations. And (previously, as an example) the ones with Haley-speech translations.

Sorry you seem to dislike the idea so much; again, it's floated sheerly as a concept to drive more traffic to the boards, which I personally enjoy a great deal, now.

HH

Occasional Sage
2007-11-20, 04:27 AM
It's one that occurred to me after months of lurking, and I'm behind it. For what (very) little that's worth.

EDIT: Although it could lead to a jump in necromancy, which I suspect will keep it from ever happening.

Rawhide
2007-11-20, 04:58 AM
Whether its a good idea or not is immaterial. From a technical standpoint this won't be happening. We will consider it again if the situation changes.