PDA

View Full Version : 360 games advice

Tamburlaine
2007-11-14, 02:41 PM
Having recently acquired an xbox 360, I find myself in the position of needing some good advice as to which games I shoud buy for it (I already have Halo 3). Any helpful thoughts are welcome.

Sam Panda
2007-11-14, 02:52 PM
Well, Gears of War is definitely a classic, I would suggest buying that. Assassin's Creed just came today (Wednesday, the 14th) should probably get that.

Halo 3 as well, that ones for sure worth the money.

Viva Pinata is.. Fun, plays a lot differently than GoW or H3, hehe. Get that if your looking for something different.

Uh.. That's all on my end, I don't have that many good 360 games.

Edited because saying definately 3 times in a small post hurts brains.

2007-11-14, 03:19 PM
Well, Gears of War is definately a classic, I would suggest buying that. Assassin's Creed just came today (wednesday, the 14th) definately get that.

Viva Pinata is.. Fun, definately plays a lot differently than GoW or H3, hehe. Get that if your looking for something different.

Uh.. That's all on my end, I don't have that many good 360 games, hehe.

ASSASSIN'S CREED IS OUT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Woah, okay...

To the OP, a few games I suggest are:

Dead Rising. If you like killing zombies with... well, pretty much anything, this is the game to get.

The Orange Box. Half-Life2 is one of the most overlooked games around, and it has an excellent story and gameplay, not to mention the win that is Portal and Team Fortess 2 is a lot of fun.

Oblivion should be pretty cheap by now, and its still a decent RPG.

And, uh... well, if Assassin's Creed is out, get that. I know I'll have to.

A Rainy Knight
2007-11-14, 05:15 PM
I would say Gears of War, Oblivion, or Guitar Hero III. Those are the ones that jump to mind, at least.

Setra
2007-11-14, 05:42 PM
Gears of War, Oblivion, Assassin's Creed.

Edit: Oh and Dead Rising.

Prophaniti
2007-11-14, 06:02 PM
I'd say pretty much all the games previously mentioned... but if you like Guitar Hero, get II first. I think it has a better over-all song list, though I do like a lot of the ones they put in 3, plus there's a ton of downloadable songs available for 2 and almost none for 3 yet.

What they really need to do is make all the songs accessible on 3. That'd be nice. I wouldn't have to switch discs just to play Trogdor:smalltongue:

expirement10K14
2007-11-14, 06:17 PM
Try out the Orange Box, COD4, GOW, Viva pinata is okay, Oblivion is needed, assassins creed is amazing, and well, I'll stop before I recommend every game for the 360,

Ranis
2007-11-14, 08:24 PM
I'm going to play Mr. Original and suggest Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, and Bioshock to you.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-11-16, 09:52 AM
^Yes, Bioshock in my opinion is defiantly a worthwhile game, but it wont last you forever. Im gonna also suggest Gears of War, especially if you have a friend to play co-op with, and a gold subscription to Xbox LIVE, although im not sure of how many people are still playing it online. Oblivion also is a must if your a fan of RPG's.

I would also suggest getting Mass Effect and Assassins Creed but.... I dont own them yet nor do I have the money for them. :smallfrown:

Setra
2007-11-16, 10:10 AM
I'm going to play Mr. Original and suggest Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, and Bioshock to you.
Blue Dragon is out? >.>

Also, I keep forgetting Bioshock isn't PC only.

Disregard my earlier suggestions, get one of these two.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-16, 10:15 AM
From what I've heard about Dead Rising, that game has a difficulty curve that's the equivalent of running headlong into a brick wall.

Only look into Oblivion if you like to wander around, because if you're like me and lack the patience for exploration, you're going to get bored shortly after the tutorial is finished. It's got some fun moments (The Ultimate Heist is my favorite), but those are strung between hours of trekking through Cyrodiil with Trolls swiping from behind you and Oblivion Gates popping up like daisies.

Can't say much about Gears of War, BioShock or the Orange Box, since I don't like first-person shooters.

Assassin's Creed is a game that I'm conflicted about. On the one hand, all the reviews paint it as the ultimate game, and I know that since it since it was made by the same guys who did Prince of Persia, it can't be that bad. On the other hand, I find the interesting historical parts during the Crusades are cheapened by tacking on a sci-fi story as well. Plus there's the fact that it's the kind of game I can't play, due to the heavy reliance on combos and reaction time. In fact, I have this problem with most, if not all console games.

The only one I can really reccomend is Mass Effect. I can't say much about it because I plan on waiting for the inevitable PC release, which is the case with almost any Xbox 360 game of note. The story looks engaging and the conversation system looks awesome. It looks like there's goign to be a heavy exploration element to it as well, what with all the planets you can visit, so that makes me wary. I also like the fact that you can pause combat to give orders and such. And finally, it's made by Bioware, which is by now my favorite game company.

banjo1985
2007-11-16, 10:17 AM
Yep, Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata are both great RPG's, though in my opinion they're both incredibly easy.

I'd also recommend Flatout if you like your racing, it's cheap now and plays pretty good. though judging by the online numbers playing the game I guess I might be the only one that thinks that :smalleek:

Setra
2007-11-16, 10:28 AM
Yep, Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata are both great RPG's, though in my opinion they're both incredibly easy.
Sometimes easy is fun in jrpgs, especially since a lot of people play em for the story.

Gungnir
2007-11-17, 11:07 AM
About Dead Rising, it is very hard at first, but remember that when you start a new game (usually after being eaten by zombies when you haven't saved for a while) the game lets you keep ALL your stats. So if you start a new game, make it to level 30 without saving, then die on the way to the bathroom, you can choose to start the whole thing over at level 30.

Plus it costs like 5 bucks and a bag of gummi bears now.

Beleriphon
2007-11-17, 12:34 PM
From what I've heard about Dead Rising, that game has a difficulty curve that's the equivalent of running headlong into a brick wall.

Not really, it just has a lot of zombies.

Only look into Oblivion if you like to wander around, because if you're like me and lack the patience for exploration, you're going to get bored shortly after the tutorial is finished. It's got some fun moments (The Ultimate Heist is my favorite), but those are strung between hours of trekking through Cyrodiil with Trolls swiping from behind you and Oblivion Gates popping up like daisies.

There is a fast map, and anything you need to find is displayed on your map which you can quick "warp" to once actually visited (other than the main cities).

Can't say much about Gears of War, BioShock or the Orange Box, since I don't like first-person shooters.

GoW isn't an FPS its a third person action game and plays very differently than an FPS.

The only one I can really reccomend is Mass Effect. I can't say much about it because I plan on waiting for the inevitable PC release, which is the case with almost any Xbox 360 game of note. The story looks engaging and the conversation system looks awesome. It looks like there's goign to be a heavy exploration element to it as well, what with all the planets you can visit, so that makes me wary. I also like the fact that you can pause combat to give orders and such. And finally, it's made by Bioware, which is by now my favorite game company.

Don't wait for the PC release, if it comes its years away at this point.

RTGoodman
2007-11-17, 12:43 PM
I agree regarding the Guitar Hero games and Oblivion, and I also think that Overlord is a pretty good game (but not necessarily the most serious). Also, Call of Duty 4 has just recently come out (I think), and it should be pretty awesome. Ditto for Assassin's Creed.

Walrus
2007-11-17, 04:02 PM
Gears of War is awesome, and there are still a lot of people playing it online (I went back to it for a chainsaw bayonet fix the other day and there were tons of games available even just in quick match mode).

Lost Planet and Crackdown are both third person action games, although they're pretty different from each other. Lost Planet is a level-based shooter with huge boss battles and fantastic online play. Crackdown is an open world game where you're a genetically enhanced supercop out to rid the streets of crime. With extreme prejudice.

Bioshock is also an excellent game, the single player experience is so good that it makes up for the lack of multiplayer.

I haven't picked up Assassin's Creed of Call of Duty 4 yet, but they both look brilliant. If CoD 4 is even half as good as CoD 2 it'll be one of the best games of the year in my book, and the multiplayer looks to be leaps and bounds above CoD 2.

Last but certainly not least is the Orange Box. It's got Half-Life 2, HL2: Episode 1 and 2, Portal, and Team Fortress 2. TF 2 is addictive and a blast, and Portal is very creative and a lot of fun to play. Half-Life, well, it's Half-Life, I shouldn't have to explain how good it is.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-11-17, 05:39 PM
Not really, it just has a lot of zombies.

Still, I don't like those type of games anyway. I avoid the entire horror genre on principle.

There is a fast map, and anything you need to find is displayed on your map which you can quick "warp" to once actually visited (other than the main cities).

True, but remember that in order to fast travel somewhere, you've got to actually go there. Some of those locations are pretty remote, and the only way you're going to get there is to get to the closest point of civilization and then complete the trek on foot. I don't really bother using my horse to get around when I need to find a cave or something, because I'm more than likely to miss the entrance. If there's one thing that bugged me about those games, it was how frustratingly easy it was to get hopelessly lost.

GoW isn't an FPS its a third person action game and plays very differently than an FPS.

First-Person Shooter, third-person action game, it makes no difference to me, you're still a toting around a machine gun and pumping baddies full of lead.

Don't wait for the PC release, if it comes its years away at this point.

I don't have any choice. I don't have an Xbox 360, and I wouldn't be able to play it most of the time anyway, as I am away from home at college and I can't fit both an Xbox 360 and a TV in my already cluttered dorm, meaning I'd have to keep the system at home, which is approximately two hours away. I'm also used to such long waits. I was amazed when Jade Empire first came out, and I was patient enough to wait for Bioware to release it for the PC. It was the same for Fable, and basically for any Xbox/Xbox 360 game that I'd be remotely interested in. Besides, I don't think my parents would be to keen about purchasing an Xbox 360 after shelling out all that money for the Wii.

Logic
2007-11-18, 06:31 AM
Rainbow Six: Vegas was the most realistic FPS I have ever played. I hear Call of Duty 4 is better though, so you might want that instead.

Crackdown is a decent game, but it is pretty much only good for one play-through.

Chromehounds is a tank simulator pretending to be a mech game.

Ace Combat 6 is good for a flight sim, but this one seems much harder than the previous ones in the series.

Lost Planet is a decent game with great gameplay but terrible cutscenes.

leperkhaun
2007-11-18, 06:35 AM
If you have xbox live then id say get Call of Duty 4. If not just rent it.

Get Assassin's Creed, that game is just wow, great.

Mass effect is coming out soon, thats suppose to be good.

GTA 4 when it comes out next year.