PDA

View Full Version : What magic items for a Barbarian/Rogue at 15th level?

Oramac
2021-07-21, 08:35 PM
Hey y'all! So I'm playing a one-shot in a bit and making a few characters to bring (also b/c it's fun).

Anyway, one of them is a Barb/Rogue multiclass. We're at 15th level and have 6250 gp to spend on magic items using the base sell prices listed in XGtE (page 133). So basically, one rare item and some combination of common/uncommon items.

The character is Soulknife 11 / Totem Barb 4. So I don't really need armor or weapons (the DM is going to allow OAs and such with the soulknife).

What magic items would you choose? Stats are: 20, 16, 20, 10, 8, 8.

solidork
2021-07-22, 08:55 AM
How much do you enjoy doing combat descriptions? Winged Boots are a solid pick, optimization wise, as well as letting you go absolutely hogwild with your descriptions of the kinds of aerobatic maneuvers you can pull off with Expertise+Reliable Talent. Just imagine what someone who always gets 20+ on Acrobatics and who can fly would be able to move like!

For the rare item - I like Belt of Dwarvenkind.

kaervaak
2021-07-22, 03:14 PM
Wand of Paralysis is pretty amazing for a rare item. 7 castings of psuedo-hold monster per day (no concentration) is fantastic.

Mantle of spell resistance is always a solid choice for a rare. Advantage on saves against magic is extremely good.

Ring of spell storing is another fantastic option. Get a spell caster to put haste in there so you can cast it on yourself.

Cloak of displacement if you want to be really hard to hit in melee

holywhippet
2021-07-22, 03:23 PM
Ring of spell storing is another fantastic option. Get a spell caster to put haste in there so you can cast it on yourself.

Haste is awesome, but remember concentration can't be maintained if barbarian rage is activated.

kaervaak
2021-07-22, 03:53 PM
Haste is awesome, but remember concentration can't be maintained if barbarian rage is activated.

Ah, yeah, good point. You can cast a spell from the ring while raging (since it's use a magic item, not spell casting), but can't concentrate on it. Counterspell and misty step would be a fun combo in the ring.

Oramac
2021-07-22, 08:20 PM
Thanks y'all! I have no idea what other characters are going to be in the game, so relying on another spellcaster to fill the ring is out. I'm leaning towards the Mantle of Spell Resist as I'm probably going to end up as a de facto tank.

Much appreciated!