PDA

View Full Version : Puking Glitter, or how I accidentally became the party's tank

pjwaring
2021-07-23, 08:20 PM
I'm playing a celestial tomelock named Serena Baxter. Her patron is a "unicorn" named Glitterchomp. She's a walking magic girl anime trope except she is deeply crazy and has a magic book that she needs to regularly feed blood to appease her patron that may or may not actually be a unicorn. Her tome generates (with blood!) pages like a pop-up book that have various pull tabs and wheels that teaches her how to do ritual spells.

After five levels our tank had to drop out of the game due to their work schedule so I said eff it I'll be the tank.

Serena already had a decent Con of 16 and had rolled well on her hit die, so she had a good pile of HP. I took Toughness for even more HP and then Moderately Armored to get a breastplate and shield.

Now we're level 14 and she's got an AC of 21 from magical armor and a substantial amount of hp. Between armor of agathys and here celestial warlock abilities she always has a sizeable amount of temp HP too. (I always roleplay this that she bleeds glitter when she has temp HP.) If she drops to zero she explodes, makes everyone near her blind, and then gets back up with half HP. If you manage to get her to 0 HP ANOTHER time she just gets back up with one HP (Gift of the Protectors). Did I mention she can burst heal 5d6 HP as a bonus action?

If things are looking bad she just drops Sickening Radiance on herself. She took Resilient so she has a huge CON save and Eldritch Mind so she really can't fail concentration checks, plus she has radiant damage resistance. The other dude is definitely going to die first.

So what you have here is a near immortal Sailor Moon type that can get impaled with a spear and just giggle and laugh as glitter pours out of the wound instead of blood. Then the air around her gets all kaleidoscope-y and a blinding light begins to sear off the flesh of anything nearby. Large patches of her own skin slough off revealing not muscle but writhing tendrils of wet glitter. She never stops smiling.

My DM said she's the scariest character he's ever seen.

LudicSavant
2021-07-23, 09:44 PM
I'm playing a celestial tomelock named Serena Baxter. Her patron is a "unicorn" named Glitterchomp. She's a walking magic girl anime trope except she is deeply crazy and has a magic book that she needs to regularly feed blood to appease her patron that may or may not actually be a unicorn. Her tome generates (with blood!) pages like a pop-up book that have various pull tabs and wheels that teaches her how to do ritual spells.

After five levels our tank had to drop out of the game due to their work schedule so I said eff it I'll be the tank.

Serena already had a decent Con of 16 and had rolled well on her hit die, so she had a good pile of HP. I took Toughness for even more HP and then Moderately Armored to get a breastplate and shield.

Now we're level 14 and she's got an AC of 21 from magical armor and a substantial amount of hp. Between armor of agathys and here celestial warlock abilities she always has a sizeable amount of temp HP too. (I always roleplay this that she bleeds glitter when she has temp HP.) If she drops to zero she explodes, makes everyone near her blind, and then gets back up with half HP. If you manage to get her to 0 HP ANOTHER time she just gets back up with one HP (Gift of the Protectors). Did I mention she can burst heal 5d6 HP as a bonus action?

If things are looking bad she just drops Sickening Radiance on herself. She took Resilient so she has a huge CON save and Eldritch Mind so she really can't fail concentration checks, plus she has radiant damage resistance. The other dude is definitely going to die first.

So what you have here is a near immortal Sailor Moon type that can get impaled with a spear and just giggle and laugh as glitter pours out of the wound instead of blood. Then the air around her gets all kaleidoscope-y and a blinding light begins to sear off the flesh of anything nearby. Large patches of her own skin slough off revealing not muscle but writhing tendrils of wet glitter. She never stops smiling.

My DM said she's the scariest character he's ever seen.

Yep. Celestial Warlocks can get very tanky indeed (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25029862&postcount=1095).

tKUUNK
2021-07-23, 11:28 PM
hahahahaha, nice! <3

Chronos
2021-07-24, 07:54 AM
Are you sure this "unicorn" isn't actually a Great Old One?

pjwaring
2021-07-24, 12:27 PM
Are you sure this "unicorn" isn't actually a Great Old One?

Glitterchomp is more of a biblically accurate angel. Thousands of eyes, burning rings, you would go crazy just looking at her, that sort of thing.

Serena just decided she was a unicorn because her puny brain couldn't handle her actual form.

Waazraath
2021-07-24, 01:53 PM
Beautiful!(!!)

Ogun
2021-07-24, 05:22 PM
"Its gonna get a little weird, gonna get a little wild, I'm not from round here, I'm from ANOTHER DIMENSION! "