PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Archery

cartejos
2021-07-24, 08:18 AM
Can you attack at any point during your move?

If you full attack are all of the attacks made from the same point in the move?

Could you shoot from one square for your first attack, wait a few squares, and shoot your second attack?

Blackhawk748
2021-07-24, 08:26 AM
Can you attack at any point during your move?

If you full attack are all of the attacks made from the same point in the move?

Could you shoot from one square for your first attack, wait a few squares, and shoot your second attack?

With Improved Mounted Archery

I would assume so as there is no language stating otherwise.

I see no language allowing this.

Albanymusicfund
2021-07-24, 11:30 AM
I like to use this class as an explanation of what you can do normally in mounted archery: https://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/halfling-outrider/index.html (the Halfling outrider class).

Your mount cannot move and you get a full attack action. You have to take levels into this class for that to be possible.

Piggy Knowles
2021-07-24, 01:36 PM
That's incorrect. From the SRD (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#mountedCombat):

You can use ranged weapons while your mount is taking a double move, but at a -4 penalty on the attack roll. You can use ranged weapons while your mount is running (quadruple speed), at a -8 penalty. In either case, you make the attack roll when your mount has completed half its movement. You can make a full attack with a ranged weapon while your mount is moving. Likewise, you can take move actions normally.

(Emphasis mine.)

You are already allowed to make a full ranged attack while moving. Mounted Archery and Improved Mounted Archery reduce the penalties you take from attacking during a double/quadruple move, but they don't give you any special allowance to do this, because you already could.

Regarding the original question, you make the attacks when your mount has completed half its movement.

Darg
2021-07-24, 02:37 PM
The rules for attacking on a mount are found under Mounted Combat under Special Attacks in the Combat chapter of the SRD and PHB on pg 157.