PDA

View Full Version : Class combination thought experiment.

Shinoskay
2021-07-24, 08:31 PM
Normal Ranger

1st +1 +2 +2 +0 1st favored enemy, Track, wild empathy — — — —
2nd +2 +3 +3 +0 Combat style — — — —
3rd +3 +3 +3 +1 Endurance — — — —

Mystic ranger....

1st +1 +2 +2 +0 Track, wild empathy 2 — — — — —
2nd +2 +3 +3 +0 1st favored enemy 2 1 — — — —
3rd +3 +3 +3 +1 Combat style 2 2 — — — —

Arcane Hunter

Rangers learn to track and hunt creatures of a certain type when choosing a favored enemy. Some rangers concern themselves less with what a creature is, and more with what it does. These rangers learn to identify signs of the arcane and make it their business to combat those who use arcane magic in opposition to their goals.

Class: Ranger.

Level: 1st.

Special Requirement: Knowledge (arcana) 1 rank.

Replaces: At 1st level, you do not select a favored enemy from Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, you can choose favored enemies as normal.

Benefit: At 1st level, you gain favored enemy (arcanists). This feature works just like the favored enemy ability. The bonuses granted apply to any character capable of casting arcane spells or using invocations (but not other spell-like abilities).

Moon-Warded Ranger

Moon-warded rangers call upon the essence of the moon to defend themselves. By forgoing attack capabilities normally afforded by the ranger class, the moon-warded ranger gains access to special defensive bonuses. This variant ranger gains all the class features of the standard ranger, except as noted.

Hit Die: d8.
Requirements

To take a moon-warded ranger substitution level, a character must worship the moon and be about to take her 2nd, 6th, or 11th level of ranger.
Class Skills

Moon-warded ranger substitution levels have the class skills of the standard ranger class.

Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Table: Moon-Warded Ranger Substitution Levels
Level Base
Attack Bonus Fort
Save Ref
Save Will
Save Special Spellcasting
2nd +2 +3 +3 +0 Armor of the senses

what would the end product look like?

It seems to me that they are giving up their level 1 favored enemy for armor of senses...

Would Arcane hunter drag the favored enemy class feature back to level 1? since that alt feature triggers at level 1 regardless of where the 1st favored enemy selection is at? or would mystic ranger drag it up to level 2 and then moon warded overwrites it?

What about Combat style? Armor of the senses is INTENDED to replace combat style, if its looking for the level 2 combat style, does it miss and combat style is spared and then gained at level 3 for mystic ranger?
and then that raises a new question, if armor of the senses is INTENDED to hit combat style, does it then ignore favored enemy?

and what about mystic rangers spell caster? moon warded is intended to progress spell craft based on the normal ranger? does this stunt mystics casting?
As an example, I've always thought of spell cast progression as rather similar to how bab and saving throws progress (except spell casting is tracked individually per class were as saving throw is cumulative.

If moon warded doesnt count towards progression, then by that same logic the moment you gain another mystic ranger level you basically just catch up. So then for two levels you use the same caster progression? Or does the class specific cumulation work?

Help me puzzle out this cheese... please.

pabelfly
2021-07-24, 08:57 PM
Playing at home: Ask your DM and see what they say. Work together and see if you can both come up with something you're happy with. Shouldn't cause many problems, it's a Ranger.
Online for a competition, etc.: You have to pick what variant of Ranger you want to go with and can't swap out class levels unless it has all the features at that same level.

Shinoskay
2021-07-25, 02:49 AM
Ok, but how do you think these combine/interact?

Tzardok
2021-07-25, 03:48 AM
If I were your GM, I would allow you to combine Mystic Ranger and Arcane Hunter by shifting Arcane Hunter upwards a level, i.e. I would change the Level you can take Arcane Hunter to "whenever you get your first favoured enemy".
I wouldn't allow you to combine Mystic Ranger and Moon Hunter, as Moon Hunter replaces a lot of things and Mystic Ranger throws all those things out of whack. I mean, Mystic Ranger gets his first 2nd lvl spell on the second level. Moon Hunter doesn't get any spells. Are you expecting me to recalcute when you get what spells on what levels for all spell levels?