PDA

View Full Version : Customizing the Genielock patron

Greywander
2021-07-24, 08:54 PM
Genielock is a pretty good subclass, with both combat and utility benefits. While the genie flavor is definitely there, mechanically the subclass could be used to represent other concepts (for example, a dragon patron). Which makes me wonder how people feel about doing a custom genie patron. All this would entail would be choosing five spells for your expanded spell list, one for each level, and choosing a damage type for Genie's Wrath and Elemental Gift. Since we already have bludgeoning as an option, I can't see any reason to limit what damage type you can choose. The only thing that could potentially cause balancing issues would be the expanded spell list, but there isn't really a good mechanism for balancing allowing the player to choose the spells. Using this would require DM approval in the first place, so getting DM approval for your expanded spell list would probably also be sufficient.

Thoughts on this? What are some interesting things you could do if this was allowed at your table?

ff7hero
2021-07-24, 09:53 PM
When I built a "cheese grater" (Daolock/Sorc abusing Spike Growth), I flavored it as Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist with "Truth" as his patron.

I just used the default list, but I might have made some substitutions for more "alchemical" spells.