PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell's Silver Hammer - new spell

amanodel
2007-11-14, 03:48 PM
I've been listening to Beatles a lot recently, and I found a great spell description in one of their songs. I'm not sure if someone has done this spell before, but here it goes:

:elan:

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Conjuration (summoning) (chaos)

Level: Brd 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 60'
Target: Single creature
Duration: Instantenous
Save: Ref for half
Spell Resistance: No

"Bang! Bang! Maxwell's silver hammer
Came down upon his head.
Clang! Clang! Maxwell's silver hammer
Made sure that he was dead."

Maxwell's Silver Hammer creates a magical hammer behind the target, and it attacks immediately, hitting him on the head. After the hit, the hammer disappears. The hammer deals 1d6 bludgenoing damage to the target. In addition, if the target has lost his dexterity bonus against the caster, and is considered flat-footed, the hammer deals an extra 1d6 bludgenoing damage / every two caster levels. Creatures immune to sneak attacks and critical hits are not subjects to this extra damage. The hammer itself doesn't threaten the target, thus cannot efficiently flank the enemy itself. For purpose of overcoming damage reduction, the hammer is considered to be Magic, Silver, and Chaotic. A succesfull reflex save negates half of the damage. The reflex save is Charisma-based.

TheLogman
2007-11-14, 03:54 PM
Remember, the damage dealt is Bludgeoning.

Great idea, good substance, and a useful spell for the most part.

DracoDei
2007-11-14, 04:28 PM
To really fit the feel of the song, of course, it should stick around an extra round, but ONLY be capable of Coup de Grace-ing on the second round... and be able to do the same on the first round if the situation allows it. That way it "Makes sure that they are dead".

CrazedGoblin
2007-11-14, 04:42 PM
love that song, love this spell:smallbiggrin:

levi
2007-11-14, 05:34 PM
Holy awsome name batman! Although, I always though Maxwell's Silver Hammer was an artifact. (In fact, I intend to stat it up for WW's nWoD, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.)

The spell itself is pretty cool too. I really like that you made it a Bard spell because I've always imagined that Bard spells are actually songs, so Bardic spellcasting requires some music. Bards playing the Beatles, great idea.

As mentioned before, the damage should be specified as bludgeoning. Also, if the hammer overcomes DR as though it was Chaotic, the spell should have the [chaos] descriptor. Finally, it should proably fall into one of the Conjuration sub-schools, but I'm not sure which one.

TempusCCK
2007-11-14, 07:00 PM
I think it should be a 3rd level spell, just on the basis that it increases in damage by a D6 rather than a D4 and has no limit that I can see as to what caster level you can increase damage on.

This spell as it's written is going to be very very powerful for a second level spell.

Fighter attacks monster.

Rogue flanks monster.

Bard does 1D4 + 1D6 + 1 /(insert level here.)

You lose a few points of damage comparitively to a fire ball and all you have to do is have your crew positioned correctly, and with no cap on how many times the damage increases per caster level.

Cap the damage at level 10 or 15, and state specifically that the hammer cannot act as a flanking opponent and bam, your spell is fantastic, more or less not-broken, and rather unique.

Props to you.

levi
2007-11-14, 08:07 PM
Tempus's suggestions have a lot of merit. Would changing the inital damage to 1d6 (to simplify things) be balanced?

amanodel
2007-11-15, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

How does 1d6/ every two caster levels damage sound?

Bludgeoning damage is also correct, I left it out accidentally.

Specification that the hammer cannot flank the enemy by itself added.

It should be Conjuration (summoning) (chaos)

Spell level changed to third.

Dhavaer
2007-11-15, 03:10 AM
I swear I've seen a Maxwell's Silver Hammer homebrew before. Although it might have been a Legacy weapon.

boomwolf
2007-11-15, 03:59 AM
Sorry but the only way to make a maxwell silver hammer is by doing a FIGHTER with a hammer.
Thats what I think and what I did (in a game here on GiTP)

amanodel
2007-11-15, 04:38 AM
Shouldn't it been a rogue who "creeps up from behind" ? :haley:

boomwolf
2007-11-15, 05:07 AM
A rouge with a massive hammer?

Not working.

And a fighter can be stealthy enough to creep up on a commoner.

But you do give me a thought of multiclassing maxwell into a rouge later.

BisectedBrioche
2007-11-15, 10:46 AM
It should cause more damage to lawful targets. ¬_¬

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the chaotic trait