PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Tasha Tomes + Artificer Useage?

Melphizard
2021-07-24, 10:50 PM
So this is just a general ruling question but is it possible for an Artificer with the 14th level ability, Magic Item Savant, to be able to use one of the new rare tomes from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything?

Magic Item Savant Reads:

- You can attune to up to five magic items at once.

- You ignore all class, race, spell and level requirements on attuning to or using a magic item.

So if my artificer had a magic tome, the Libram of Souls and Flesh for example, could they cast the spells from it with their artificer spell slots?

The Libram of Souls and Flesh reads the following:
Wondrous item, rare (requires attunement by a wizard)

- With covers made of skin and fittings of bone, this tome is cold to the touch, and it whispers faintly. When found, the book contains the following spells, which are wizard spells for you while you are attuned to the book: animate dead, circle of death, false life, finger of death, speak with dead, summon undead, and vampiric touch. It functions as a spellbook for you.

- While you are holding the book, you can use it as a spellcasting focus for your wizard spells.

- Some other abilities

Greywander
2021-07-24, 11:05 PM
Yes, because you ignore the class restrictions for the magic item. However, this magic item only functions as a spellbook that contains specific spells when found, and artificers can't use spellbooks.

The only thing you could use this specific item for is to take on the semblance of undeath.

It's not just that the item has wizard as a requirement, but the benefits it gives specifically interact with wizard features that other classes won't have. Grab something like a Holy Avenger and you would be able to use all of the benefits except extending the aura out to 30 feet, despite not being a paladin.

Chronos
2021-07-25, 07:07 AM
You would be a non-wizard attuned to an ordinarily wizard-only item, and so you would gain the benefits: While you're attuned to it, a bunch of spells count as wizard spells for you. It's just that counting as wizard spells for you doesn't mean much when you're not actually a wizard.

meandean
2021-07-25, 07:36 AM
I may name my next character "Tasha Tomes"

Quietus
2021-07-25, 11:53 AM
You would be a non-wizard attuned to an ordinarily wizard-only item, and so you would gain the benefits: While you're attuned to it, a bunch of spells count as wizard spells for you. It's just that counting as wizard spells for you doesn't mean much when you're not actually a wizard.

Precisely this. And to elaborate - in order to prepare wizard spells, you need to actually have levels in the wizard class, and include those spells on your int+level prepared spells for the day.

I'm not 100% on this part, but perhaps an Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster could do this? But I don't think you can get the Use Magic Device feature of Artificer while having high enough spell levels to truly be relevant on your 1/3 caster side.

MoiMagnus
2021-07-25, 12:08 PM
Yeah, RAW (and even probably RAI), don't expect anything from those items.

However, those are magic items, following the rules from the DMG, so even more under the "Rule 0" than anything following the rules from the PHB. You should expect the GM to add/remove/modify magic objects available in the campaign. So in practice, I'd say it's more a "ask your GM" than a "it doesn't work for sure".