PDA

View Full Version : Faeries by Bastion Press

CopperElfCleric
2021-07-25, 01:32 PM
Amazing D20 book. not 3.5 ed but easily accounted. It was published before the 3.5 retcon.

This book makes playing Fey in 3.5ed amazing.

A Feeorin? A Quickling? A Sylph? A Dark fey? Anything you want. This book makes playing Fey a delight.

A Feeorin Sorcerer with a Dire Weasel companion is wicked powerful.

Segev
2021-07-27, 12:50 PM
What do you mean by "3.5 retcon?"

Palanan
2021-07-27, 01:07 PM
I confess that phrase puzzled me as well.

Particle_Man
2021-07-27, 05:15 PM
Maybe the OP means 3.0 compatible, so published before 2003 (but after 2000)?

Saintheart
2021-07-28, 10:32 PM
Pretty much. On a quick look, Faeries was published before 3.5 came out, and even the errata suggests the author hadn't even fully read or updated the book taking that into account.

CopperElfCleric
2021-07-30, 07:35 PM
Pretty much. On a quick look, Faeries was published before 3.5 came out, and even the errata suggests the author hadn't even fully read or updated the book taking that into account.

Yes. 3ed stats and era. Easily converted to 3.5. Hence the retcon I mentioned.

My point was this... Faeries was the ONLY 3ed or 3.5ed accessory that gave you new fey races, history and spells, feats, skills and magic items. Not to mention Prestige classes, Templates and lore behind it.

It was a very cool accessory that allowed you to go beyond 20th level. Hence, Epic Level Handbook. The LeShay proves this. A Feeorin Fey was along the likes of High Fey or Arch-Fey.

Segev
2021-07-30, 09:13 PM
Yes. 3ed stats and era. Easily converted to 3.5. Hence the retcon I mentioned. Mostly just wasn't sure what you meant by "retcon."

My point was this... Faeries was the ONLY 3ed or 3.5ed accessory that gave you new fey races, history and spells, feats, skills and magic items. Not to mention Prestige classes, Templates and lore behind it.

It was a very cool accessory that allowed you to go beyond 20th level. Hence, Epic Level Handbook. The LeShay proves this. A Feeorin Fey was along the likes of High Fey or Arch-Fey.

That is nifty. Did you have something in particular you'd like to discuss about it? What prompted posting? Did you recently get a copy? :smallsmile:

Crake
2021-07-30, 09:31 PM
Yes. 3ed stats and era. Easily converted to 3.5. Hence the retcon I mentioned.

I don't think retcon means what you think it means.

CopperElfCleric
2021-07-31, 12:54 AM
I don't think retcon means what you think it means.

It means exactly what I said it did. Your idea of Retcon means nothing in my game, but in canon it means that things get changed and tweeked and played with in game mechanics.

CopperElfCleric
2021-07-31, 01:14 AM
Mostly just wasn't sure what you meant by "retcon."

That is nifty. Did you have something in particular you'd like to discuss about it? What prompted posting? Did you recently get a copy? :smallsmile:

Well thanks... Yes I did. Just got Faeries after 20 long years of gaming. It adds a depth I cannot describe in words.

My 20th level moon elf cleric of Erevan Ilesere now has somebody to rival his debauchery and trickery.

The book shows you how to play a Nymph, Dryad, Satyr, Pixie, Deep fey, Feeorin, Brownie, Grig, Sylph, Treeent, Arch-Fey, etc... Jack Frost is in the book, as well as Father Time. Babba Yagga, Kris Kringle, Titianna, Oberon, The Queen of Air and Darkness.

If that's not enough... the book details Prestige classes, Templates and spells galore.

!00% out of 100% in my books.

Duke of Urrel
2021-08-08, 01:02 PM
Your thread, CopperElfCleric, inspired me to download a dot-PDF copy of FAERIES myself. I ordered it from DriveThruRPG.

And I LOVE this book.

For a long time, I have had a strong wish to add some truly scary and creepy fairies to my D&D milieu. Unfortunately, the core rulebooks have only very few Fey that are truly dangerous, provided that you respect nature and leave them in peace. If you leave the Fey alone, they will leave you alone, too, which is ... boring. Aren't there any EVIL Fey, Fey that invade OUR world with malign intent, Fey that will go out of their way to HURT us? Aren't there any selfish, spoiled, and psychopathic "Lords and Ladies," like the Elves in Terry Pratchett's Discworld, who regard mortals as mere playthings and love nothing more than to capture humans and torture them to death for their amusement? Now, THOSE are monsters worthy of the name. Why didn't the first MONSTER MANUAL provide any Feys like that?

Likewise, the description of the Plane of Faerie in the MANUAL OF THE PLANES makes only the plane itself dangerous, not the denizens who dwell upon it. Besides, the main risk of the Plane of Faerie, according to the MANUAL OF THE PLANES, is that time stands still there but suddenly catches up to you upon your return, so that if you stay too long, then when you get back your body quickly implodes from starvation and thirst. With gruesome consequences like this, we might well wonder why anybody would ever intentionally visit the Plane of Faerie in the first place, in spite of the fact that the Fey themselves are almost exclusively Chaotic-Good and would never intentionally hurt you for no reason.

In contrast, in the book FAERIES, the Plane of Faerie is not necessarily life-threatening itself, but there are some very Evil and very dangerous fairies who dwell upon it. Moreover, the book gives some very flavorful REASONS for WHY they these fairies are so Evil and dangerous. I LIKE this. This is an alternative plane very worth visiting and adventuring in.

I agree that the book could have used some more illustrations. I like the artwork in the book, but it would have helped to have MORE of it. It would have helped, for example, to provide a diagram that depicted the difference between fey roads, backroads, and side roads. This difference is easier to see in pictures than it is to construct out of a descriptive texts.

Yes, the book is a Version 3.0 artifact that needs some updating to make it work in Version 3.5, but I think this will be well worth the effort.

I am still in the process of reading through the book – but thanks for introducing it to me!

CopperElfCleric
2021-08-08, 10:34 PM
Your thread, CopperElfCleric, inspired me to download a dot-PDF copy of FAERIES myself. I ordered it from DriveThruRPG.

And I LOVE this book.

For a long time, I have had a strong wish to add some truly scary and creepy fairies to my D&D milieu. Unfortunately, the core rulebooks have only very few Fey that are truly dangerous, provided that you respect nature and leave them in peace. If you leave the Fey alone, they will leave you alone, too, which is ... boring. Aren't there any EVIL Fey, Fey that invade OUR world with malign intent, Fey that will go out of their way to HURT us? Aren't there any selfish, spoiled, and psychopathic "Lords and Ladies," like the Elves in Terry Pratchett's Discworld, who regard mortals as mere playthings and love nothing more than to capture humans and torture them to death for their amusement? Now, THOSE are monsters worthy of the name. Why didn't the first MONSTER MANUAL provide any Feys like that?

Likewise, the description of the Plane of Faerie in the MANUAL OF THE PLANES makes only the plane itself dangerous, not the denizens who dwell upon it. Besides, the main risk of the Plane of Faerie, according to the MANUAL OF THE PLANES, is that time stands still there but suddenly catches up to you upon your return, so that if you stay too long, then when you get back your body quickly implodes from starvation and thirst. With gruesome consequences like this, we might well wonder why anybody would ever intentionally visit the Plane of Faerie in the first place, in spite of the fact that the Fey themselves are almost exclusively Chaotic-Good and would never intentionally hurt you for no reason.

In contrast, in the book FAERIES, the Plane of Faerie is not necessarily life-threatening itself, but there are some very Evil and very dangerous fairies who dwell upon it. Moreover, the book gives some very flavorful REASONS for WHY they these fairies are so Evil and dangerous. I LIKE this. This is an alternative plane very worth visiting and adventuring in.

I agree that the book could have used some more illustrations. I like the artwork in the book, but it would have helped to have MORE of it. It would have helped, for example, to provide a diagram that depicted the difference between fey roads, backroads, and side roads. This difference is easier to see in pictures than it is to construct out of a descriptive texts.

Yes, the book is a Version 3.0 artifact that needs some updating to make it work in Version 3.5, but I think this will be well worth the effort.

I am still in the process of reading through the book – but thanks for introducing it to me!

As you've noticed... This fits in very well with The Plane of Faerie or The Feywild as we call it now. 5ED likes to call fey elves. no, no, no sir. Feeorin are the nobel fey of the feywild. They are much like elves, but taller and more thin and angular. In Faerun... elves came from a real place called Faerie.... but not the Plane of Faerie. Elves are elves... The Feeorin are High Fey that lead to Arch-fey.

So 4ed and 5ed will try to convince you that elves are fey..... they are not. They are mistaken for the Feeorin race of noble fey. Feeorin fey have a +3 LA for being Feeorin. Elves do not.

Amazing book, amazing history, amazing ways to change the names in your game.

Thurbane
2021-08-08, 11:39 PM
I may look into this book myself.

It's a shame that the 3E run ended before we could have more monster-centric books dedicated to specific types. Libris Mortis, Lords of Madness, Draconomicon, and DoTU were great in their own ways.

One of my biggest 3E regrets is we didn't get a similar official book treatment for Fey, "evil" Humanoids (Goblins, Orcs etc.), or Giants.

FWIW, this forum compiled thread is pretty interesting for Fey related stuff: Fey Compendium (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?226612) Faeries by Bastion Press rates a mention.

CopperElfCleric
2021-08-09, 06:16 PM
I may look into this book myself.

It's a shame that the 3E run ended before we could have more monster-centric books dedicated to specific types. Libris Mortis, Lords of Madness, Draconomicon, and DoTU were great in their own ways.

One of my biggest 3E regrets is we didn't get a similar official book treatment for Fey, "evil" Humanoids (Goblins, Orcs etc.), or Giants.

FWIW, this forum compiled thread is pretty interesting for Fey related stuff: Fey Compendium (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?226612) Faeries by Bastion Press rates a mention.

This book does that. This book delves deep into Fey lore. Not exactly FR or Greyhawk, but part of the D20 system prior than 3.5. The conversions to 3.5ed is very minor. You actually get the actual stats of The Wild Hunt with a completely detailed Master of The Hunt and his hounds. It's sooooo damn cool.

CopperElfCleric
2021-08-14, 07:15 PM
Just had my first game last night using my Feeorin (High Fey Template) PC. Intense indeed. The Fey guardian PrC is sooooo cool. It's a epic level campaign and this book made it all happen.

CopperElfCleric
2021-08-29, 12:40 AM
The campaign was insane!!! My Feeorin Fey ended up taking the Assassin PrC unwillingly. So Rogue 5/ Cleric 10/ Assassin 10 of Erevan Ilesere.

Strange game with strange play. If a PrC is forced on you by the DM then just embrace it and kick ass doing it.

CopperElfCleric
2021-08-29, 12:48 AM

And I LOVE this book.

I am glad I helped you in this. Faeries is a amazing D20 supplement. Just finished a campaign based off this book and it was WILD! There are more Fey in Faerun than you can imagine. The banter and battle with a Red Cap elder was priceless. The hunt with Jack Frost was epic and scary to be honest. Never ever cross Jack Frost. That Fey will tear you inside-out.

CopperElfCleric
2021-08-29, 12:58 AM
Jack Frost was brutal. As a epic NPC he was scary. That dude was a melee monstrosity.

CopperElfCleric
2021-09-03, 06:56 AM
Oberon and Titianania are level 20 monsters. lol. They are epic and scary. WOW!