PDA

View Full Version : Index Glossary of terms/abbreviations

RNightstalker
2021-07-25, 06:58 PM
So Playground,

I'm still not up to date on all the terminology used and didn't see any previous related threads so I figured I'd start my own. I hope to update it to be an exhaustive list but I'll keep it short for starters and update as we go.

A&EG: Arms & Equipment Guide
ACF: Alternative Class Features
Action Economy: maximizing efficiency and/or number of actions per round
AFAIK: As Far As I Know
AFB: Away From Books
AoO: Attack of Opportunity
BBEG: Big Bad Evil Guy
BoED: Book of Exalted Deeds
BoVD: Book of Vile Darkness
Build: Character blueprint outlining progression of class(es), feats, skills, etc.
CoR: Champions of Ruin
CoV: Champions of Valor
CAdv: Complete Adventurer
CAr: Complete Arcane
CC: Complete Champion
CD: Complete Divine
Char-op: Character Optimization
Cheese: Any optimization trick that bends the rules or flaunts RAI in order to inflate a character's power level
CM: Complete Mage
CoDzilla: Cleric-or-Druid-zilla. Refers to the ability of clerics and druids to use their magic to buff their mundane combat capabilities and make nonmagical warriors look like chumps
Core: 3 "core" rulebooks: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I
CP: Complete Psionic
CR: Challenge Rating
CS: Complete Scoundrel
CW: Complete Warrior
DotF: Defenders of the Faith
D&D: Deities & Demigods
DC: Dragon Compendium or difficulty class
DM: Dragon Magic
Dscape: Dungeonscape
DotU: Drow of the Underdark
DMG: Dungeon Master's Guide
DMGII: Dungeon Master's Guide II
DMPC: aka DM Pet, a PC played by the DM
DPR: Damage per Round
DPS: Damage per Second
Drac: Draconomicon
E6: A fanmade variant rule where after level 6, characters stop leveling up, and only progress by gaining feats.
ECS: Eberron Campaign Setting
ECL: Effective Character Level
EE: Elder Evils
E&A: Enemies and Allies
ELH: Epic Level Handbook
EoE: Exemplars of Evil
EPH: Expanded Psionics Handbook
F&P: Faiths and Pantheons
FF: Fiend Folio
FCI: Fiendish Codex I
FCII: Fiendish Codex II
FRCS: Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
FWIW: For What Its Worth
Gestalt: build that progresses two classes at once, from UA
Gish: Combination of spellcasting and melee build
GM: Game Master
GP: Gold Pieces
GW: Ghostwalk
High-Op: High level of Optimization
HoB: Heroes of Battle
HoH: Heroes of Horror
IC: In Character
IIRC: If I Remember Correctly
IMAO: In My Arrogant Opinion
IMHO: In My Honest Opinion
IMO: In My Opinion
LA: Level Adjustment
LM: Libris Mortis
LoD: Lords of Darkness
LoM: Lords of Madness
LEoF: Lost Empires of Faerun
Low-Op: Low level of optimization
MAD: Multiple Attribute Dependency
Mailman build: Build focused on "delivering" a lot of HP damage
Metagame: in-game business done while away from the table
MIC: Magic Item Compendium
MotP: Manual of the Planes
MotW: Masters of the Wild
Mid-Op: Middle level of optimization
MH: Miniatures Handbook
MMI: Monster Manual I
MMII: Monster Manual II
MMIII: Monster Manual III
MMIV: Monster Manual IV
MMV: Monster Manual V
MoF: Magic of Faerun
Nerf: to bring something down in power
NPC: Non-Player Character
OA: Oriental Adventures
OoC: Out of Character
-op: optimization
PAO: Polymorph Any Object
PC: Player Character
PH: Player's Handbook
PEACH: Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly
PGtF: Player's Guide to Faerun
PoF: Power of Faerun
PrC: Prestige Class
Punpun: an "I Win" nuclear bomb build that no DM will let you play (whether it's rules legal is debatable)
RoD: Races of Destiny
RoF: Races of Faerun
RoS: Races of Stone
RotW: Races of the Wild
RACSD: Rules As Common Sense Dictates
RC: Rules Compendium
RAI: Rules As Intended/Interpreted
RAW: Rules As Written
RHD: Racial Hit Dice
RSoP: Radiant Servant of Pelor
SS: Savage Species
SK: Serpent Kingdoms
ShSo: Shining South
SM: Silver Marshes
S&S: Song & Silence
SAD: Single Attribute Dependency
SpC: Spell Compendium
SaF: Sword and Fist
SRD: System Reference Document
Tank: build that focuses on heavy armor and melee combat
Tier: Tier System of ranking classes/PrCs
Tippyverse: A setting created by Emperor Tippy exploring what he felt would be the logical consequences of a world where high-level magic is commonplace.
TO: Theoretical Optimization
ToB: Tome of Battle
ToM: Tome of Magic
TPK: Total Party Kill
UE: Unapproachable East
UA: Unearthed Arcana
Ubercharger: a build centered primarily (and most commonly) around the feats Power Attack, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper, and Spirit Lion Totem variant.
UMD: Use Magic Device
VoP: Vow of Poverty
WBL: Wealth By Level
WBLmancy: maximizing how far your WBL goes/getting the most bang for your gold piece
WIP: Work In Progress
WotC: Wizards of the Coast
XP: Experience Points

Remuko
2021-07-25, 07:06 PM
So Playground,

I'm still not up to date on all the terminology used and didn't see any previous related threads so I figured I'd start my own. I hope to update it to be an exhaustive list but I'll keep it short for starters and update as we go.

Cheese: ?
DMG: Dungeon Master's Guide
Gish build: ?
Mailman build: ?
MMI: Monster Manual I
PH: Player's Handbook
PrC: Prestige Class
Punpun: ?
SpC: Spell Compendium

Cheese usually means abusing RAW or dubious rulings to make something happen that was clearly not intended by the game

Gish build. a Gish is a hybrid fighter (not the class just the general word) and spellcaster. Someone more knowledgeable could probably tell you the history of the term which IIRC relates to the Githyanki.

Mailman is a build that delivers....PAIN. idk the specifics but it seems to be a theoretical build that is often a sorcerer (iirc) that optimizes for blasting damage. (which is otherwise usually a sub optimal way to play a caster)

PunPun is a thought experiment where a Kobold abusing some wishes and loopholes to become infinitely powerful. Literally. Theres nothing that can beat him. He becomes omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. He is everywhere and everything. He uses the Overdeity as a footrest.

Bullet06320
2021-07-25, 08:06 PM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?444625-DO-NOT-TRIM-Dictionary-of-Terminology

there is this post, which is a repost

and this is punpun
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?442827-Pun-Pun

RNightstalker
2021-07-25, 09:19 PM
Cheese usually means abusing RAW or dubious rulings to make something happen that was clearly not intended by the game
Gish build. a Gish is a hybrid fighter (not the class just the general word) and spellcaster. Someone more knowledgeable could probably tell you the history of the term which IIRC relates to the Githyanki.
Mailman is a build that delivers....PAIN. idk the specifics but it seems to be a theoretical build that is often a sorcerer (iirc) that optimizes for blasting damage. (which is otherwise usually a sub optimal way to play a caster)
PunPun is a thought experiment where a Kobold abusing some wishes and loopholes to become infinitely powerful. Literally. Theres nothing that can beat him. He becomes omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. He is everywhere and everything. He uses the Overdeity as a footrest.

Doesn't PunPun require summoned creatures to summon other creatures, which explicitly can't be done?

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?444625-DO-NOT-TRIM-Dictionary-of-Terminology
there is this post, which is a repost
and this is punpun
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?442827-Pun-Pun

Thanks for the share. It is an older thread, and also incomplete, but I'll start adding soon.

Remuko
2021-07-25, 11:25 PM
Doesn't PunPun require summoned creatures to summon other creatures, which explicitly can't be done?

Nope, he's rules legal, technically.

Fizban
2021-07-26, 02:06 AM
Cheese: generally anything someone sees as or admits is obviously testing or crossing the line of being overpowered. Not even what I'd call a "term," it's just a word, gamer slang as it were.

IMHO: In My Honest Opinion-I've seen this translated as In My Humble Opinion, though this alternate would certainly explain the number of times I've seen the acronym right before someone starts acting like they're the be-all end-all.

Mailman build: A build that "always delivers" the damage. Fairly specific, it uses a combination of spells and feats that are meant to eliminate all possible methods of defense, to the point that the player simply says "That target takes loldamage," and the DM responds with "It dies."

PH: Player's Handbook- normally abbreviated PHB because it sounds so natural even if the "B" isn't needed, and PHB helps keep it looking distinct from PHB2, and PlH (Planar Handbook). WotC has their own list of acronyms for the books, but I'm pretty sure there's a couple differences to what the forums were widely sharing as their acronym lists back in the day.

I myself don't really care about either list: I use whatever acronym I think will best call the book I'm looking for without confusion- if it's short, scans, and can't be applied to a different book, it works. Anything but the most common or obvious books I'll usually lead with the full name before abbreviating it later.

PunPun: In addition to the free wishes, it uses a specific monster with the ability to grant. . . any ability, and the fact that deities have abilities, and an infinite loop for an infinite bonus as some point.

I would not be surprised at all. A ton of those old char-op builds were built upon very specific readings of text which if read even slightly differently or with even a minor counterexample, could all come crumbling down. All it takes is not already being bought in, and one can frequently see the holes. Pun-Pun in some ways uses fewer rules and thus readings than others, and also has a number of different versions developed as people proved that X version didn't work or to remove Y requirement.

Heck, I just posted about what the Knowledge skills actually guarantee you in another thread, and I'd be surprised if the reading PunPun uses to justify all the OOC knowledge actually fits within.

Though at least PunPun and other such builds generally have the grace to admit what they are as fun experiments- whereas those such as the "Mailman" have been claimed as not only reasonable but required or "fixing" the game by their presence.

ShurikVch
2021-07-26, 04:55 AM
PH: Player's Handbook- normally abbreviated PHB because it sounds so natural even if the "B" isn't needed, and PHB helps keep it looking distinct from PHB2, and PlH (Planar Handbook).
Also - PsiHB (3.0 Psionics Handbook)

IMHO: In My Honest Opinion-I've seen this translated as In My Humble Opinion, though this alternate would certainly explain the number of times I've seen the acronym right before someone starts acting like they're the be-all end-all.
Also:
IMAO - In My Arrogant Opinion
or just IMO (In My Opinion)

RAW - Rules As Written
RACSD - Rules As Common Sense Dictates
RAI - initially, it was Rules As Intended (by the authors), but when it become known even authors themselves have no frigging idea what the heck they intended, it shifted to Rules As Interpreted

Paragon
2021-07-26, 07:16 AM
Ok this is my moment,

What does WIP and PEACH stand for ? Please it's been hurting my brain for months now

D+1
2021-07-26, 07:36 AM
Ok this is my moment,

What does WIP and PEACH stand for ? Please it's been hurting my brain for months now
Work In Progress
Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly

RNightstalker
2021-07-27, 07:19 PM
I appreciate the feedback. Does anyone have any solutions for abbreviations with multiple possible uses, such as Draconomicon vs. Dungeonscape, Ghostwalk vs. Gazeteer?

I hope you can't get in trouble for editing a post too many times lol.

Particle_Man
2021-07-27, 10:03 PM
DM: Dungeon Master

I would define metagame differently. To me it is using player knowledge that one’s character lacks as if one’s character somehow has that knowledge. Could be as simple as knowing the weaknesses of a monster that the character is encountering for the first time, hasn’t heard of, and doesn’t have ranks in the relevant knowledge for (assuming a higher than DC 10 knowledge check being required). Could be worse, like a player knowing (and their character looking for and finding) where all the secret doors are in an adventure module, not because the character is good at finding secret doors, but because the player read that adventure module ahead of time. So for me metagame is a verb.

Saintheart
2021-07-28, 03:39 AM
I appreciate the feedback. Does anyone have any solutions for abbreviations with multiple possible uses, such as Draconomicon vs. Dungeonscape, Ghostwalk vs. Gazeteer?

I hope you can't get in trouble for editing a post too many times lol.

Gwalk: Ghostwalk

Fizban
2021-07-28, 04:24 AM

Drac, Ghost or Ghos or GW, and I unironically just use "Dung" for Dungeonscape. If anything the "hehe dung" will make it more distinctive and thus easier to remember at a glance that yes, Dung is the first part of the title Dungeonscape.

RNightstalker
2021-07-28, 07:08 PM

I would define metagame differently. To me it is using player knowledge that one’s character lacks as if one’s character somehow has that knowledge. Could be as simple as knowing the weaknesses of a monster that the character is encountering for the first time, hasn’t heard of, and doesn’t have ranks in the relevant knowledge for (assuming a higher than DC 10 knowledge check being required). Could be worse, like a player knowing (and their character looking for and finding) where all the secret doors are in an adventure module, not because the character is good at finding secret doors, but because the player read that adventure module ahead of time. So for me metagame is a verb.

I think you're right. Can you recommend one? I'm just trying to follow the KISS principle...maybe I should add that one to the list too lol.

Gwalk: Ghostwalk

Drac, Ghost or Ghos or GW, and I unironically just use "Dung" for Dungeonscape. If anything the "hehe dung" will make it more distinctive and thus easier to remember at a glance that yes, Dung is the first part of the title Dungeonscape.

There seems to be consensus on Drac, and I do like Dscape and GW.

Telonius
2021-07-28, 08:04 PM
VoP: Vow of Poverty (feat)
RSoP: Radiant Servant of Pelor (Prestige class)
ToB: Tome of Battle (book)

For PunPun, dandwiki has the basics of the original build here (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Pun-Pun_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build)). Later optimization cut it down so it was achievable with a single level of Paladin, and getting Pazuzu to grant you an ability (which is Rules-as-written legal).

Nerf: to bring something down in power. (Named after the toy company; compare a baseball bat to a Nerf bat).

UMD: Use Magic Device (skill)
WBL: Wealth By Level (i.e. the expected amount of wealth in GP that a character is expected to have at a certain level)
WBL-mancy: Creative and/or cheesy methods to increase the effectiveness of how you spend your GP. Basically, how to get the most bang for your buck. (Can also apply to some character choices, such as the Artificer class or various feats, that decrease the amount of resources you need to spend in crafting certain items).
PAO: Polymorph Any Object (spell)

RNightstalker
2021-07-28, 08:26 PM
VoP: Vow of Poverty (feat)
RSoP: Radiant Servant of Pelor (Prestige class)
ToB: Tome of Battle (book)

For PunPun, dandwiki has the basics of the original build here (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Pun-Pun_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build)). Later optimization cut it down so it was achievable with a single level of Paladin, and getting Pazuzu to grant you an ability (which is Rules-as-written legal).

Nerf: to bring something down in power. (Named after the toy company; compare a baseball bat to a Nerf bat).

UMD: Use Magic Device (skill)
WBL: Wealth By Level (i.e. the expected amount of wealth in GP that a character is expected to have at a certain level)
WBL-mancy: Creative and/or cheesy methods to increase the effectiveness of how you spend your GP. Basically, how to get the most bang for your buck. (Can also apply to some character choices, such as the Artificer class or various feats, that decrease the amount of resources you need to spend in crafting certain items).
PAO: Polymorph Any Object (spell)

Think I got all of those now. I definitely need to add DMM as well as Clericzilla and Persistomancy...or are those last two something I just made up?

Particle_Man
2021-07-28, 08:46 PM
I think you're right. Can you recommend one? I'm just trying to follow the KISS principle...maybe I should add that one to the list too lol.

To be clear do you want me to add an abbreviation for metagaming as a verb, or a more concise definition for it, or something else?

Saintheart
2021-07-28, 09:07 PM
I definitely need to add DMM as well as Clericzilla and Persistomancy...or are those last two something I just made up?

Of those, I've historically known "Clericzilla" by the term "CoDzilla", C and D standing for cleric or druid. Albeit the method by which they become Kaiju is somewhat different.

Also, is it weird that I always say the word "Wibble" in my mind whenever I see WBL?

Remuko
2021-07-28, 10:56 PM
Think I got all of those now. I definitely need to add DMM

DMM = Divine MetaMagic (a feat) in case your comment about DMM was saying you didnt know what it meant.

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-07-29, 01:27 AM

Also
GM: Game Master; synonym of DM. Usually used for other RPGs, but comes up in D&D lingo with some frequency.

Metagaming: (Ab)using knowledge that your character doesn't actually have, but you as a player do. For example, switching to silver weapons against a werewolf even though your character doesn't know what a werewolf is, because you in the real world know silver hurts them.

Telonius
2021-07-29, 08:01 AM
SAD: Single attribute dependency. For classes and situations where only one ability score really matters.
DPS / DPR: Damage per second / Damage per round. DPS was borrowed from use in MMORPGs; DPR is more accurate to the D&D context, but used much less frequently. (Multiply DPS by 6 and you get DPR anyway, so the distinction isn't huge). A "DPS build" is one that tries to deal a lot of damage in a very short amount of time.

RNightstalker
2021-07-31, 11:10 PM
Of those, I've historically known "Clericzilla" by the term "CoDzilla", C and D standing for cleric or druid. Albeit the method by which they become Kaiju is somewhat different.
Also, is it weird that I always say the word "Wibble" in my mind whenever I see WBL?

Wibble isn't weird. But what's Kaiju?

Nope, he's rules legal, technically.

Is there a brief way to explain that so we don't derail this thread?

Saintheart
2021-07-31, 11:27 PM
Wibble isn't weird. But what's Kaiju?

"Kaiju" is the pop culture name for giant monsters like Godzilla. Has no relation to this exercise otherwise.

Time Troll
2021-08-01, 10:01 AM
Is there a brief way to explain that so we don't derail this thread?

Sure:

The key is the manipulate form ability of sarrukhs from Serpent Kingdoms. Manipulate form allows a sarrukh to raise any stat of a “scaled one of Toril” up to any number less than or equal to their own value in that stat, as well as give that creature “an extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like ability,” with no listed limitations.

Plus

Pazuzu: He has Wish as an SLA, and never corrupts the wish of paladins or other champions of good, so as to tempt them into asking for more wishes, as he makes anyone he gives a Wish go one step towards CE.

RNightstalker
2021-08-05, 07:56 PM
Sure:

Pazuzu: He has Wish as an SLA, and never corrupts the wish of paladins or other champions of good, so as to tempt them into asking for more wishes, as he makes anyone he gives a Wish go one step towards CE.

Pazuzu? Now I'm cornfused...

Oh wow he's already banned, only been here two months. Can anybody else help on this one?

Remuko
2021-08-05, 11:01 PM
Pazuzu? Now I'm cornfused...

Oh wow he's already banned, only been here two months. Can anybody else help on this one?

what do you need help with? Pazuzu is a demon, that if you say his name three times he appears before you and offers you a wish. the rest works as the banned account said.

Troacctid
2021-08-06, 02:06 PM
Here's what I have in my glossary list.

ACF: Short for Alternative Class Feature.

Action economy: The idea that using your actions in combat more efficiently and/or having more actions than your opponents gives you an advantage.

Build (n.): A mechanical skeleton or blueprint for a character, comprised of race, class, feats, and other choices made during character generation.

Char-op: Short for character optimization.

Cheese: Any optimization trick that bends the rules or flaunts RAI in order to inflate a character's power level.

CoDzilla: Short for Cleric-or-Druid-zilla. Refers to the ability of clerics and druids to use their magic to buff their mundane combat capabilities and make nonmagical warriors look like chumps.

Core: Collective term for the three main rulebooks: Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master's Guide.

DPR: Short for damage per round.

E6: A fanmade variant rule where after level 6, characters stop leveling up, and can only progress by gaining feats. The idea is to preserve the low-power, low-magic feel of early levels. There are also E8 and E12 versions for those who prefer a higher cutoff.

Gestalt: A popular variant rule from Unearthed Arcana that lets players mash two classes together at each level.

High-Op: Short for high-optimization.

Low-Op: Short for low-optimization.

Mailman: A style of high-damage build that uses direct damage spells combined with discounted metamagic effects and action economy tricks to deliver massive amounts of reliable DPR.

Mid-Op: Short for middle-optimization.

-op: A hyphenated suffix, short for optimization. See also low-op, high-op, and mid-op.

OP (adj.): Short for overpowered. Not to be confused with -op, OP (n.), or PO.

OP (n.): General internet slang. Short for original poster or original post.

PO: Short for Practical Optimization. PO is optimization designed to be playable in actual games, as opposed to TO, which is typically intended only as a thought experiment.

PrC: Short for Prestige Class.

Pun-Pun: An infamous build involving a kobold who contacts the demon lord Pazuzu to get free wishes at low levels and uses them to generate an infinite loop. Sometimes used as a shorthand for any TO trick that might technically work under RAW but would obviously ruin the game if it were allowed.

RAI: Short for Rules As Intended. Refers to the way the rules were probably meant to function. Often contrasted with RAW.

RAW: Short for Rules As Written. Refers to the rules strictly as presented in the text, without consideration of authorial intent. Often contrasted with RAI.

SRD: Short for System Reference Document, the portion of the D&D rules that are available for free under the Open Gaming License.

Stormwind Fallacy: AKA the Roleplayer vs. Rollplayer Fallacy, coined by forum user Tempest Stormwind, who summarized it as "Just because one optimizes characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa." For more, see here: http://dictummortuum.github.io/2017/11/25/stormwind-fallacy.html

Tier: Refers to the Tier System for Classes. JaronK is credited with introducing this power ranking system to the D&D 3.5 community. The most recent iteration of the tier list can be found here: [Note to self, add link]

Tippyverse: A setting created by Emperor Tippy exploring what he felt would be the logical consequences of a world where high-level magic is commonplace. For more, see here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?222007-The-Definitive-Guide-to-the-Tippyverse-By-Emperor-Tippy

TO: Short for Theoretical Optimization, a form of optimization that stretches the rules to do things that are silly or broken as a thought experiment, just to show what is possible. Pun-Pun is a famous example. Often contrasted with PO.

Ubercharger: A style of high-damage build focused on doing massive damage with charge attacks. The most common form combines the Shock Trooper feat with a level of barbarian, taking the whirling frenzy variant from Unearthed Arcana and the spirit lion totem variant from Complete Champion, allowing for multiple attacks with full Power Attack at no attack penalty; however, there are also other variants involving natural weapons, sneak attack, mounted charges, and so on.

UMD: Short for the Use Magic Device skill.

RNightstalker
2021-08-08, 12:38 AM
what do you need help with? Pazuzu is a demon, that if you say his name three times he appears before you and offers you a wish. the rest works as the banned account said.

What's stopping a demon from eviscerating a level 1 summoner?

Here's what I have in my glossary list.

Updated most of those, thanks. I will get to the rest later.

Tzardok
2021-08-08, 05:25 AM
What's stopping a demon from eviscerating a level 1 summoner?

Nothing, but why would he? Pazuzu intentionally developed the ability to scry people who say his name three times and port to them so he can offer them wishes in exchange for favours.

RNightstalker
2021-08-08, 08:52 AM
Nothing, but why would he? Pazuzu intentionally developed the ability to scry people who say his name three times and port to them so he can offer them wishes in exchange for favours.

In exchange for favours...I bet most glance past that. What's the source for Pazuzu?

Tzardok
2021-08-08, 09:08 AM
In exchange for favours...I bet most glance past that. What's the source for Pazuzu?

Fiendish Codex 1. He's in the chapter about demon lords. His proper title is Prince of the Fiendish Skies, or something like that.

They also forget that Pazuzu can read your mind when you call him, and if he doesn't like what he sees (or if he just doesn't feel like it), he won't come. He's chaotic; the only thing he obeys are his whims (i.e. the DM).

RNightstalker
2021-08-10, 08:30 PM
Fiendish Codex 1. He's in the chapter about demon lords. His proper title is Prince of the Fiendish Skies, or something like that.

They also forget that Pazuzu can read your mind when you call him, and if he doesn't like what he sees (or if he just doesn't feel like it), he won't come. He's chaotic; the only thing he obeys are his whims (i.e. the DM).

Yeah I really don't see how the pun-pun thing took off. On this episode of Mythbusters: BUSTED.

That being said, back to OP.
Does anyone have any corrections for what I've compiled so far? And does anyone have any input from Eberron and other settings? I think I've gotten most of Forgotten Realms. Of course I'm not up to date on Pathfinder either.

Any suggestions for any of the following?:
Frostburn
Gazetteer
Ghostwalk
Sandstorm
Monsters of Faerun
Underdark

Saintheart
2021-08-10, 08:54 PM
Any suggestions for any of the following?:
Frostburn
Gazetteer
Ghostwalk
Sandstorm
Monsters of Faerun
Underdark

Fburn
Gzt
Gwalk
Sstorm
MoF
Und

Troacctid
2021-08-10, 09:09 PM
Just use the official abbreviations from the website.

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-08-10, 11:47 PM
Does anyone have any corrections for what I've compiled so far?

"Metagame/Metagaming" still needs an updated definition; the current one doesn't match any use of the term I've seen. For an uber-short definition, I'd say "Not separating what the player knows from what the character knows".

Maybe obvious enough that it doesn't need to be included, but the list is missing "DM - Dungeon Master".

Kurald Galain
2021-08-11, 06:21 AM
AOMF: Amulet of mighty fists

Buff: to increase something in power; either by GM ruling ("in my campaign, monks get pounce") or by spells (e.g. Bull's Strength).

Chocolate vs. Strawberry: the idea that arguing about one's taste in roleplaying games (especially between different editions of D&D) is about as productive as arguing about which flavor of ice cream tastes best.

Combat-as-Sport: the playstyle where all battles are level-appropriate encounters with no side getting a major or "unfair" advantage; these battles are won through tactics and teamwork.

Combat-as-War: the playstyle where both sides try to make battles as unfair and lopsided as possible (via stealth, dirty tactics, attrition, scry-and-die, and so forth) before engaging, and avoid combat at all costs where this is not an option. These battles are won through strategy and espionage.

Crowd Control: any tactic, usually with spells, that keeps some enemies temporarily away from the party so that the party can focus on other enemies. For instance, Wall of Stone; or any area effect debuff.

Debuff: any spell or effect that reduces a character's combat effectiveness. For instance, Ray of Enfeeblement.

DM's Girlfriend: a player that receives in-game benefits for (ahem) certain out-of-game activities.

Dwarven lockpicks: smashing through a locked door with a battleaxe.

Edition war: the notion that whichever version of D&D I am playing is vastly superior to whichever version you are playing.

IOSV: Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil

Jumplomancer: a theory-op build that converts enemies into loyal allies by leaping over them.

Leeroy Jenkins: a player character whose primary (or only) tactic is to charge forward, screaming loudly.

Loonie: one of the four player archetypes, who enjoys slapstick, cheap laughs, and lots of puns. In combat, tends to employ ridiculous tactics regardless of how effective they actually are. "When they encounter a sleeping dragon: Loonies tie its shoelaces together."

Munchkin: one of the four player archetypes, who enjoys winning, winning, and more winning. "When they encounter a sleeping dragon: Munchkins kill it, make armour out of the hide, and then resurrect it as a familiar."

Oberoni Fallacy: the incorrect notion that a bad rule is not bad since the GM can change or overrule it.

Omnicaster: a gestalt theory-op build that specializes in being able to use spells/invocations/utterances/powers from every list in the game.

PVP: player-vs-player combat

Real Man: one of the four player archetypes, who enjoys straightforward hack-and-slash, big swords, big fireballs, and "rule of cool" gameplay. "When they encounter a sleeping dragon, Real Men wake it up and THEN attack it."

Real Roleplayer: one of the four player archetypes, who enjoys intrigue, in-character dialogue (or monologue) and interaction; tends to employ creative and unusual tactics in combat. "When they encounter a sleeping dragon, Real Roleplayers con it out of all its treasure, leaving the dragon (and the GM) thinking it got the better deal."

Rocket Tag: the style of gameplay where whoever wins initiative will (most likely) win the fight before the other side gets the chance to act; this is usually through massive damage output or with save-or-lose effects.

Save-or-lose: any spell or ability that renders an enemy unable to contribute to combat, on a failed saving throw. For instance, Hold Person.

Save-or-suck: any spell or ability that seriously cripples an enemy, on a failed saving throw. For instance, Slow.

Scry-and-die: the stratagem of observing an enemy remotely (e.g. via crystal ball), then teleporting in to gain surprise and bypass most defenses. For instance, Vaarsuvius in comic 650.

Spam: to repeat the same move or spell over and over again. For instance, Xykon with Energy Drain.

Stormwind Fallacy: the incorrect notion that optimization is mutually exclusive with roleplaying.

TOH: Tomb of Horrors, a dungeon by Gary Gygax known for its extreme lethality.

---

Action economy is more the idea that the side with the most actions will (usually) win the fight. Optimizing a character's action economy is "maximizing efficiency and/or number of actions per round"; but the fact that a single monster vs a party of 6 PCs is by default a very lopsided fight is also an example of action economy.

BBEG stands for Big Bad Evil Guy, but what it means is the final major antagonist for the campaign.

I've never seen DC used to refer to Dragon Compendium; it's pretty much always difficulty class.

IMHO stands for humble opinion, not honest opinion. It's a very old acronym.

The mailman is specifically a caster build (ab)using metamagic, not just any build that delivers a lot of HP damage.

Pun-pun has a dash in it.

Metagame: in-game business done while away from the tableI don't think that's quite it :smallbiggrin:

Troacctid
2021-08-11, 09:25 AM
Did you make some of those up on the spot?

Remuko
2021-08-11, 01:06 PM
Yeah I really don't see how the pun-pun thing took off. On this episode of Mythbusters: BUSTED.

it took off because it works by rules as written. it only takes one wish from Pazuzu to get things started and a LG paladin always gets one wish from him for free without getting it corrupted, in order to hopefully lure said paladin down a darker path.

ShurikVch
2021-08-11, 01:19 PM
Save-or-lose: any spell or ability that renders an enemy unable to contribute to combat, on a failed saving throw. For instance, Hold Person.

Save-or-suck: any spell or ability that seriously cripples an enemy, on a failed saving throw. For instance, Slow.
Besides the SOL and SOS, there is also SOD - Save-or-die: any spell or ability that renders an enemy dead (regardless of their current hit points number, or Damage Reduction), on a failed saving throw. For instance, Finger of Death.

Also, technically, all aforementioned also have rarely-mentioned NSJ... variants: No-save-just-... (NSJL, NSJS, and NSJD)

Dimers
2021-08-11, 04:37 PM
Crowd Control: any tactic, usually with spells, that keeps some enemies temporarily away from the party so that the party can focus on other enemies. For instance, Wall of Stone; or any area effect debuff.

Also known as BFC, for "battlefield control".

BSF = big stupid fighter, a common type of meatshield, which should probably get an entry itself

EDIT: ooh, one more ... Pounce = ability to make a full attack at the end of a charge

RNightstalker
2021-08-11, 07:56 PM
Fburn
Gzt
Gwalk
Sstorm
MoF
Und

MoF is already taken for Magic of Faerun...so MonoF? lol

Just use the official abbreviations from the website.

How many times do we have to talk about saying stuff that makes sense?!
But really though I'll have to check that out, and by website is it safe to assume wotc?

"Metagame/Metagaming" still needs an updated definition; the current one doesn't match any use of the term I've seen. For an uber-short definition, I'd say "Not separating what the player knows from what the character knows".

Maybe obvious enough that it doesn't need to be included, but the list is missing "DM - Dungeon Master".

I will get to the metagaming thing. Maybe some more dialogue (which is welcome) would help. I am looking for the uber-short definitions, but if there are some that can't be summed up, please let me know.

Did you make some of those up on the spot?

I don't recall, but if there are some that don't seem right, please let me know. For books I tried to common sense it, but constructive feedback is quite welcome.

it took off because it works by rules as written. it only takes one wish from Pazuzu to get things started and a LG paladin always gets one wish from him for free without getting it corrupted, in order to hopefully lure said paladin down a darker path.

I'm going to tap out on this one. Thanks for the dialogue, I'll have to start a new thread on that sometime.

Note to self: add ninja'd and swordsaged.

Saintheart
2021-08-12, 10:51 PM
Not sure whether it has a term or abbreviation, but there's the old practice of summoning a creature or getting a hireling to walk ahead of the party in a dungeon so it springs the traps. Brute Force Trapspringing?

Variant: the Irish Mine Detector (put fingers in ears, squeeze eyes shut, stomp randomly around in front of you with one foot.)

RNightstalker
2021-08-13, 05:30 PM
Not sure whether it has a term or abbreviation, but there's the old practice of summoning a creature or getting a hireling to walk ahead of the party in a dungeon so it springs the traps. Brute Force Trapspringing?

Variant: the Irish Mine Detector (put fingers in ears, squeeze eyes shut, stomp randomly around in front of you with one foot.)

Unseen servant can drag 100 lbs...that'll set off most traps...or the Clericzilla can just throw corpses around all over the place, could be quicker.