PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Ultimate rebuker build?

redking
2021-07-26, 07:37 AM
Can we create a build that can rebuke and command almost everything? Epic levels are fine so don't restrict to level 20. Also, does each different kind of rebuking provide a separate HD pool for the commanded creatures?

Biggus
2021-07-26, 09:46 AM
The main way I know of to get extra turn/rebuke types is through domains. Maybe a Cleric of a philosophy rather than a deity, or possibly of a monotheistic deity like Taiia in D&DG, to stop you being restricted on domains. Then take the extra domain feat repeatedly once you hit epic, plus Planar Turning for outsiders.

Domains you want: air, earth, fire, water, plant, cold, scalykind, slime, deathless, warforged

The feats Animal Defiance and Animal Control from MotW add animals to the list, likewise Vermin Defiance (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/ch/ch20020708a) and Vermin Control for vermin.

So that's undead, outsiders, oozes, constructs, animals, plants, vermin, reptilian creatures, deathless, and earth/air/fire/water/cold type creatures (which includes most dragons :smallbiggrin:). It's by no means all but it's a lot.

As far as I know you get a separate turning pool for each type.

Edit: you can get at least one extra domain pre-epic via the Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment) feat.

ShurikVch
2021-07-27, 02:09 PM
Besides the aforementioned:

Classes:
Anti-Paladin (CE Paladin variant; Dragon #312): Turn or Rebuke Outsider - Turn/Destroy Good Outsiders and Rebuke/Command Evil Outsiders
Corrupter (NE Paladin variant; Dragon #312): Rebuke Divine Magic - divine caster lose ability to cast spells for a minute (or 24 hours - if check result is "Destroyed"); negated by Atonement spell
Wild Defender (Ranger variant; Dragon #324): Rebuke Nature - Rebukes (but not commands) Animals (at 6th level), Vermins (8th), Plants (12th), Fey (14th), Oozes (18th), and Elementals (20th)

PrC:
Spell Sovereign (Dragon #357): Rebuke Living Spells

Feats:
Planar Turning (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#planarTurning)

ACF (replaces Rebuke Undead):
Rebuke Dragons (Dragon Magic)
Mentalist (Even More Magic and Mayhem; Warcraft the RPG) Rebuke Humanoids

Thurbane
2021-07-27, 10:38 PM
Kin Mastery feat from Dragon Compendium: gives you a 1/day rebuke (or turn if you chose) against the creatures of your Bloodline feat type (Air, Anarchic, Axiomatic, Celestial, Draconic, Earth, Fey, Fiendish, Fire, Illithid, Necromantic, Penumbra, Plant, Serpent, or Water). You only get to turn as a cleric of 1/2 your arcane casting level class, so a bit limited.

"Same kind as your bloodline ancestor" is a little poorly defined, but would presumably mean air elemental creatures, chaotic outsiders, lawful outsiders, good outsiders, dragons, earth elmental creatures, fey, evil outsiders, fire elemental creatures, Illithids, undead, creatures from the plane of shadow, plant creatures, Yuan-ti and water elemental creatures, respectively.

Can't find the source right now, but if 3rd party is OK, I know there's a PrC (or maybe feat) in one of the Ravenloft Gazetteers that rebukes (or maybe turns) fey.

Ravenloft Gazetteer Vol 5, Tepestani Inquisitor PrC: gets Turn or Rebuke Fey as a 1st level class feature.

redking
2021-07-27, 11:02 PM
Can't find the source right now, but if 3rd party is OK, I know there's a PrC (or maybe feat) in one of the Ravenloft Gazetteers that rebukes (or maybe turns) fey.

Ravenloft Gazetteer Vol 5, Tepestani Inquisitor PrC: gets Turn or Rebuke Fey as a 1st level class feature.

Yes. There is a base class from Ravenloft called the Voodan that can turn or rebuke animals, elementals, fey, outsiders or undead at 1st level, and an additional type from this list at 6th level.

Saintheart
2021-07-28, 04:34 AM
Depending how wide you're willing to cast the third party net, there's a spell in the AEG book Mercenaries which outright allows you to turn (and i think rebuke) enemies add though they were undead. It's called Awe. Indeed I think there are other third party books I've seen that so something similar.

Beni-Kujaku
2021-07-28, 06:09 AM
Note that Extra Turning applies to all your turning pools‚ so for the cost of one feat you get several times the benefit

ShurikVch
2021-07-28, 01:15 PM
Some more:

PrC:
Drow Judicator (Underdark): Rebuke/Command Spider
High Handcrafter (The Shackled City Adventure Path): Rebuke/Command Earth creatures
Purebreath Devotee (Dragon #314): Rebuke, Command, & Bolster Air creatures

Feats:
Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu (Sandstorm) - rebuke and command hippopotami
Initiate of Ghaunadaur (Champions of Ruin) - command or rebuke oozes
Negative Energy Burst (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#negativeEnergyBurst) - apparently, allow to rebuke any living creature (at least, as long as it isn't immune to negative energy)
Plant Control (Masters of the Wild/Deities and Demigods) - rebuke or command plants

Magic items:
Emerald Eye Patch (Dragon Magic): Rebuke Plants 3/day (as 10th-level Cleric); 12000 gp
Rod of the Matriarch (Drow of the Underdark): Rebuke Vermin (for a Cleric of Lolth); 18000 gp

redking
2021-07-29, 04:34 AM
Negative Energy Burst (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#negativeEnergyBurst) - apparently, allow to rebuke any living creature (at least, as long as it isn't immune to negative energy)

Negative levels via rebuke but not rebuking. Good list otherwise.

ShurikVch
2021-07-29, 11:10 AM
Negative levels via rebuke but not rebuking. Good list otherwise.

Roll a normal rebuke (or command) check, except that the negative energy burst affects living creatures rather than undead. Any creature that would be rebuked by this result gains one negative level. Any creature that would be commanded by this check gains two negative levels.
It don't say living creatures wouldn't be rebuked: IMO, negative levels are "extra", not the only effect

redking
2021-07-29, 11:19 AM
It don't say living creatures wouldn't be rebuked: IMO, negative levels are "extra", not the only effect

I don't see it. Let me emphasise the appropriate parts.

Roll a normal rebuke (or command) check, except that the negative energy burst affects living creatures rather than undead. Any creature that would be rebuked by this result gains one negative level. Any creature that would be commanded by this check gains two negative levels.

The text tells you what is affected and how it is affected. The creatures 'would be' rebuked, but are not, instead the effects specified happen instead.

Thurbane
2021-07-29, 04:59 PM
I would have to agree with redking's reading on this.

redking
2021-07-30, 06:14 AM
How do we keep the rebuking levels high? Yes, we can get a lot of domains for rebuking, but our Effective Turning Level is going to be pretty low. Binder with Tenebrous, maybe?