PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled Why didn't Durkon manage to cast neutralize poison on Roy?

Justyz
2021-07-26, 04:28 PM
It seems like there was at least one full turn after blinky raised the anti magic field. V got to fly and shoot prismatic spray, Haley shot a number of arrows, Belkar got his lizard out and shot a dagger up, and blinky even made a full pursuit of V before turning and blasting everyone (which must have been in its next turn).

Durkon already had his magic ready and burning and had at least one full turn to cast it - so why Roy is still with the green poison bubbles? I assume that Elan cast something else, maybe some healing spell or something we're not aware of. Elan could also cast neutralize poison so even if Durkon didn't have it prepared, Elan could have cast it.

This seemed like their #1 priority so it's not like they decided to do it, they were foiled - but how?

ORione
2021-07-26, 04:57 PM
Hmm. I was going to say he did and the green bubbles around Roy's head could be attributed to the damage already done (since Neutralize Poison doesn't undo that), but that's not consistent with last time we saw Neutralize Poison (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0712.html). Maybe there was a more urgent spell Durkon needed to cast first? Maybe Roy was at -9 HP, and therefore needed a Cure Wounds spell more than he needed Neutralize Poison?

Gurgeh
2021-07-26, 08:14 PM
There's no guarantee Durkon even had the spell prepared.

That said, it also looks like his spell was interrupted when he was hit by Sunny's ray; I suspect he was opting for something more powerful (Heal or Restoration, say) but the issue is moot because he never got the spell off in the first place.

Squire Doodad
2021-07-26, 08:40 PM
It seems like there was at least one full turn after blinky raised the anti magic field. V got to fly and shoot prismatic spray, Haley shot a number of arrows, Belkar got his lizard out and shot a dagger up, and blinky even made a full pursuit of V before turning and blasting everyone (which must have been in its next turn).

Durkon already had his magic ready and burning and had at least one full turn to cast it - so why Roy is still with the green poison bubbles? I assume that Elan cast something else, maybe some healing spell or something we're not aware of. Elan could also cast neutralize poison so even if Durkon didn't have it prepared, Elan could have cast it.

This seemed like their #1 priority so it's not like they decided to do it, they were foiled - but how?

I'm assuming he did, but got interrupted?
Or maybe Durkon hit Roy with Neutralize but Rich left the bubbles in by mistake; maybe the bubbles are still there because it was still in effect, and Durkon was going for a Restoration to heal it or something?
I'm not entirely sure, but an art error seems plausible.

ORione
2021-07-26, 09:35 PM
Maybe Sunny's initiative roll was lower than Vaarsuvius's, but higher than Durkon's. That would explain why V had time to cast Prismatic Spray, but Durkon didn't have time to cast anything.

Restoration takes 3 rounds to cast (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Restoration), so if Durkon's casting that, that would explain why he was interrupted. But while Restoration reverses many effects poison can have, it doesn't neutralize the poison. Surely it would make sense to stop the poison before casting Restoration?

TooSoon
2021-07-27, 01:42 AM
This has been annoying me too.

TuringTest
2021-07-27, 03:52 AM

Maybe it is a single turn, and Sunny rolled higher initiative. Following V around and turning upside-down may count as combat movements, and then her only combat action is the multi-eye blast.

Halley throwing two rounds of arrows is something she can do in a single turn, right? With SNEAK ATTACK and all that.

Also, it looks like the anti-magic field does not dispell magic, it merely supresses it; both V's fly spell and light sphere have returned as soon as they're out of the anti-magic cone.

Mike Havran
2021-07-27, 09:56 AM
There was no fizzle! sound in the strip so I think Durkon was not interrupted. Perhaps he did not cast Neutralize poison (why bother preparing it anyway, when your Bard has it on his list?) but something else like Cure Some Wounds.

Quizatzhaderac
2021-07-27, 02:35 PM
Maybe Roy was at -9 HP, and therefore needed a Cure Wounds spell more than he needed Neutralize Poison?I think Roy was only hit once today (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1238.html). Even if that was a sneak attack Roy should should still have plenty of hitpoints.

Precure
2021-07-28, 08:10 AM
This time no one was trying to eat Roy, so he asked him if he wants to be cured of poison but got no answer (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0963.html); or, maybe, he didn't prepare the spell after all. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0038.html)

WanderingMist
2021-07-29, 05:26 PM

To me, it looks like Durkon got interrupted right before he managed to touch Roy, thus leaving the poison intact.

TooSoon
2021-07-30, 03:11 AM
To me, it looks like Durkon got interrupted right before he managed to touch Roy, thus leaving the poison intact.

Nah, Durkon had plenty of time, and no fizzle. Is there some kind of poison that's beyond his ability to negate in D&D? I gotta say I know very little about poison types.

woweedd
2021-07-30, 03:18 AM
Rolled low on intitative, got interrupted by Sunny.

InvisibleBison
2021-07-30, 09:39 AM
I suspect Durkon chose to cast restoration rather than neutralize poison, and was interrupted by Sunny's eye beam. Why would he do this? To get Roy back in the fight as soon as possible. Poison's secondary damage takes effect a minute after the initial damage, so depending on how long it's been since Roy was poisoned, he'd be able to act for 3 to 6 rounds before the secondary damage. There's no guarantee it will be as debilitating as the initial damage was, and even if it was, a lot can happen in 3 to 6 rounds.

Charity322
2021-08-04, 02:11 AM
There was no fizzle! sound in the strip so I think Durkon was not interrupted. Perhaps he did not cast Neutralize poison (why bother preparing it anyway, when your Bard has it on his list?) but something else like Cure Some Wounds.

Unfortunately, when your Bard is Elan, it looks as if all he did with his turn was fire up his magic glow so he could admire it lol.

Also, it looks like the anti-magic field does not dispell magic, it merely supresses it; both V's fly spell and light sphere have returned as soon as they're out of the anti-magic cone.

If it just suppressed magic then I wonder why Elan didn't end up unable to move again.

Riftwolf
2021-08-04, 03:28 PM
If it just suppressed magic then I wonder why Elan didn't end up unable to move again.

He was held in place by Sunnys telekinesis Eye stalk. Assuming Elan weighs less than the limit (think its 325lbs) then being held down is as easy as bring picked up.

mjasghar
2021-08-05, 07:30 AM
Belkar got his lizard out and shot a dagger up

Is this the adult version of the comic?🤣

littlebum2002
2021-08-05, 07:32 AM

No, that would require his Wand of Lordly Might

Precure
2021-08-05, 08:18 AM

Oh my god! :belkar: