PDA

View Full Version : Small Mounted Champion Build! *Help!*

Akennedy
2007-11-14, 04:44 PM
Hello playgrounders! this saturday I will be creating a Halfling Cavalier. I wanted to ask all of you out there for some not-so-obvious feats good for a cavalier. I also want him to be a good archer and non-mounted fighter... All and any help greatly appreciated! I know his skills will be lacking, however, I really would like for him to be a goof fighter class.
The only problem I see is mounted become less powerful over time. Like, X3 (spitited charge) Damage at level one is devastating. But, later, when people can make 4 attacks a round... it just seems like it gets worse.

Crow
2007-11-14, 04:55 PM
Remember if you get Ride-by-Attack, you can charge in, attack, and then ride away without provoking attacks of opprotunity.

Get the fastest mount possible, as this will help you get a charge attack every round, and consider having the party wizard cast Haste on your mount for the extra speed. Or invest in a wand for the wizard to use.

Yeril
2007-11-14, 05:21 PM
Don't waste levels in classes to get your mount stronger like Paladin, or Ranger.

Theres a feat called Wild Cohort which grants you a Glorified pet, not as good as an animal companion but okay in the long run, fantastic if you want a mount with more than 10 hitpoints.

Grab wild cohort, get a nice mount, level up as a fighter and then head into Cavalier. This should make you a Fantastic mounted warrior, and have enough feats to be good all around.

Once you got your mount, slap some Horseshoes of speed, some chainshirt barding, and a nice saddle and ride on!

Also if you want to deal damage, going THF with the lance and power attacking is good, giving 6 points of damage per 1 point of Attack bonus on a spirited charge.

I once had a Orc fighter with this type of build, but he keyed in shocktrooper, at level 10 his most powerful attack dealt 3d8+108 damage with +23 to hit.

Sadly this knocked his AC down to 9, so I dont use it unless Im sure this guy is gonner be dropped.

Yeril
2007-11-14, 05:25 PM
Like, X3 (spitited charge) Damage at level one is devastating. But, later, when people can make 4 attacks a round... it just seems like it gets worse.

True, but at higher levels, can you make 4 attacks a round and then get around 80ft away before they even get a chance to counter, and even if they can reach you by then they aint gonner be full-attacking you back :smallwink:

Armads
2007-11-15, 12:04 AM
Cavalier isn't a very good class. Get the riding boots from MIC. For 12k, they give you deadly charge continuously for lances, a +5 to ride checks and Ride-By-Attack as a bonus feat.

leperkhaun
2007-11-15, 01:08 AM
hmmmmmm.

Get a reach weapon...... take leadership or wild cohort to get a mount with the Run and Fleet of foot feats (allows 1 90 degree turn once a charge).

Mounted combat, ride by attack, spirited charge, short haft

Get the valourus weapon enchant to your weapon (2x damage on a charge, with spirited charge thats 3x damage). Get Horseshoes of speed (or something similar, either adds 30 foot to move speed or doubles it, not sure).

Use the reach weapon to charge the enemy and get the 3x damage without getting near it, your mount takes a 90 degree turn after you hit them putting you out of harms way. if an enemy manages to get close you can short haft the weapon and both you and your mount make full attack options against that critter.

Now its kinda iffy, but you can ask your DM if when you charge on a mount if you can use shocktrooper. Because of the movement speed of your mount you should be able to tank your AC without worrying about getting hit. So 3x of all of that without getting hit is nice.

Another option is to use a lance as your weapon with a backup so that when you charge its 4x damage on that one hit with powerattack.

Anyway, in MOST games the 3rd and 4th attacks mostly seem to be...."wonder if i can crit with it".

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-15, 01:13 AM
Alternately, you could multiclass Ranger/Paladin with the Devoted Hunter feat that lets you count your animal companion as your special mount, and natural bond to boost your druid level for purposes of animal companion, and then take Halfling Outrider, which gives progression for animal companions and special mounts, creating an uber-mount.

Temp
2007-11-15, 01:17 AM
Now its kinda iffy, but you can ask your DM if when you charge on a mount if you can use shocktrooper. Because of the movement speed of your mount you should be able to tank your AC without worrying about getting hit. So 3x of all of that without getting hit is nice.Shock Trooper isn't iffy, it's SOP.

Leap Attack, on the other hand, is for a rider. Definitely get both for your Mount (Mounted Combat negates some of Shock Trooper's penalty; Leap Attack provides a damage source).