PDA

View Full Version : "Everyman" Build

carrdrivesyou
2021-07-27, 08:16 AM
So, I have a bit of an odd situation with a character and was thinking of a bit of a ridiculous multiclass for story reasons. It's a Gritty Realism game, so SR abilities are super nice to have. At level 7 my current stats are:

18, 12, 16, 12, 15, 14 (Fighter 2, Celestial Warlock 5, pact of the blade)
Invocations: devil's sight, eldritch mind, thirsting blade

I was thinking about the following setup:
Celestial Warlock 8
Battle Master Fighter 5
College of Eloquence Bard 6
Knowledge Domain Cleric 1

ASIs:
Warlock 4: Skill Expert (+1 CON)
Fighter 4: War Caster
Bard 4: Polearm Master
Warlock 8: Observant (+1 WIS)

Expertise:
Skill Expert - Persuasion (minimum roll of 10)
Knowledge Domain - Arcana
Knowledge Domain - History
Observant - Perception
Bard - Performance
Bard - Deception

That'll give me:
2 Fourth level slots per SR
4th level casting (as 7th level mage: 4/3/3/1)
2 Attacks per action (plus bonus action from PAM)
4 Invocations
4 Superiority Dice (d8)
4 ASIs
3 Maneuvers
9 Healing Lights
2 Bardic Inspiration (d8)

Invocations (end) - will eventually swap to pact of the tome rather than blade (after i get extra attack from fighter 5 to replace thirsting blade)
Far Scribe (Tome Only; 5th level)
Aspect of the Moon (Tome Only)
Devil’s Sight (permanent)
Mask of Many Faces

Progression:
1-2 Fighter
1-5 Warlock
3-5 Fighter
6-8 Warlock
1-3 Bard
1 Cleric
4-6 Bard

I am fairly certain this build will rely heavily on Tasha's ability swapping features (fine with DM) and swapping invocations as well. I was a bit behind up until this level (missing extra attack, relying on Booming Blade), but finally picked up thirsting blade and summon fey to make up the difference (made better by Eldritch Mind).

The idea is to turn him into a sort of "every man" in that he can do a bit of everything, but is a super effective leader. Well educated, perceptive, magically inclined, useful in most situations, and an amazing diplomat. I had considered swapping in some druid levels for wild shape as well, but not sure that fits.

Can anyone find any issues with this build? I really like the concept so I don't wanna mess it up.

Unoriginal
2021-07-27, 08:27 AM
What do you want from the Cleric level?

If I got your concept correctly, wouldn't Rogue fit better, for a Gritty Realism game?

Sigreid
2021-07-27, 08:49 AM
Could always do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZCIh_3b5K8

Hairfish
2021-07-27, 11:02 AM
You could do pretty much the same thing with the "Celestial Generalist" warlock and not have to muck about with multi-classing at all.