PDA

View Full Version : Eating dirt

Zachopotamus
2021-07-27, 10:46 AM
So one of my players is a Goblin that likes to eat dirt. Basically uses it as a "seasoning" for his food. The players are getting near a town where I've placed a "Pet Semetary" type plot of land [In the basement of the Rats In The Basement Tavern]. I don't know that it will happen, but in case it does....what might happen to someone that ate dirt from such a place? Open to any and all ideas, thanks!

Nounverber
2021-07-27, 10:56 AM
If we're going by pet sematary rules, it'll either bring some bacteria back to life in his stomach and give him an infection (filth fever?) or it'll make him start being creepy and try to bury dead things there all the time

quindraco
2021-07-27, 10:58 AM
So one of my players is a Goblin that likes to eat dirt. Basically uses it as a "seasoning" for his food. The players are getting near a town where I've placed a "Pet Semetary" type plot of land [In the basement of the Rats In The Basement Tavern]. I don't know that it will happen, but in case it does....what might happen to someone that ate dirt from such a place? Open to any and all ideas, thanks!

If there are actual rats, here's how rat disease works:

DC 10 Constitution saving throw or contract a disease. Until the disease is cured, the target can't regain hit points except by magical means, and the target's hit point maximum decreases by 3 (1d6) every 24 hours. If the target's hit point maximum drops to 0 as a result of this disease, the target dies.

If you want to be spoopier, you can have a curse instead of or in addition to the diseases. Curses should be resisted with a Wisdom save, not a Con save, but otherwise can do anything you like - in fact, mummy rot is just a dialed up version of rat disease. Here's an example one from popular mythos:

DC 11 Wisdom saving throw or be cursed. Until the curse ends, the target gains no benefit from eating.

Segev
2021-07-27, 11:00 AM
Ghoul fever, perhaps? Maybe give him a hint that there's something off about the dirt's flavor. An Investigation check as he mulls it over might even get him more detail, like the fact that it tastes more corrupted than usual, that it tastes of dead things not properly decomposing, or even that it has a necrotic chill to it.

Kuulvheysoon
2021-07-27, 11:05 AM
Definitely give the player some sort of warning, like the dirt smelling/tasting vaguely of corpse.

Disadvantage on saves against spells/abilities from undead creatures until the next LR? I dunno, but Segev's suggestion of ghoul fever is a good idea.

Segev
2021-07-27, 11:07 AM
Definitely give the player some sort of warning, like the dirt smelling/tasting vaguely of corpse.

Disadvantage on saves against spells/abilities from undead creatures until the next LR? I dunno, but Segev's suggestion of ghoul fever is a good idea.

Thanks!

I want to emphasize that the reason I suggest giving him info from the taste is not as "a warning," though it may well serve as one. It's to reward the RP choice. A character with an unusual but faithfully-played quirk that you noted enough to ask this thread's question about deserves to have upsides as well as downsides. Downside: risking ghoul fever (or whatever other consequences you desire). Upside: learning information in a character-appropriate way that benefits himself and the party and which might have taken more effort or more information to even know to investigate about without this character quirk in play.

Zachopotamus
2021-07-27, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all the responses so far! For some more info, there are lots of rats in the basement (that won't stay dead). The tavern keeper is a based on Jud from the movie so there will for sure be warnings about the ground being "sour". I'm liking all the suggestions so far! I have also considered the possibility of rewarding the player with a brief flashback for location backstory if they pass the save.

And again, the planning may all be for nothing but I also know my players will pick up on the Pet Semetary references...whether the player decides to eat dirt just to see if something happens or plays up feeling unsettled by the dirt and making a point to NOT eat it, I dunno what is going to happen but I'd like to be prepared, lol.

sithlordnergal
2021-07-27, 05:09 PM
Important question, how debilitating/deadly do you want this disease to be? If you want it to add potential story stuff, Ghoul Fever would be fun. If you want to make it dangerous, you'll find no disease is deadlier than Bone Rot. Its a disease found in some graveyards, swampy areas, or places where the dead can be found. After 3 days, your bones have a good chance of breaking when you take bludgeoning damage. Broken bones can be anything from disadvantage to attack rolls (if an arm is broken), lower movement speed (if a leg is broken), disadvantage on certain saves (if ribs are broken), to instant death (if skull is broken)

Chad.e.clark
2021-07-27, 06:36 PM
You could also have the "eating corrupted dirt" thing have both pro's and con's.

Maybe like having undead ignore the dirt eater until the dirt eater makes an aggressive action towards the undead. Or giving the dirt eater the "Undead Resilience" trait (or whatever the "Death Ward"-lite zombie trait is.) Or being able to sense the presence of undead creatures within 150 feet.

In exchange, the dirt eater reacts to a Cleric's Turn Undead feature like an undead would. Or doesn't regain Hit Dice on a long rest. Or maybe they have to make a Con save when recovering HP or any healing recieved is halved (just like if it was damage being resisted.)

Mercurias
2021-07-27, 06:38 PM
The clear answer is that the goblin rolls a con save. If they succeed? Immunity from the disease which may play a part further through the game. If they fail, they catch a mild case. Better, you could check their passive perception and warn them that *this* dirt smells off, like it might be dangerous. *Bad* dirt.

The more I DM, the more I see goofy stuff that PCs do as a chance to give them some characterization rather than punish them for being dorks. Everyone playing D&D is a dork. Why not revel in it?