PDA

View Full Version : Shield styles

Enguhl
2007-11-14, 05:19 PM
I've seen a bit on weapon styles and such, but are there any that involve shield bashing or just using shields in general?

Cybren
2007-11-14, 05:20 PM
Get a heavy shield and use it two handed and just charge everyone?

Mr.Moron
2007-11-14, 05:24 PM
Style Feats? No. There are several feats that involve shield-fighting though. Most of them from Cwar/PH2 if I recall correctly.

Grynning
2007-11-14, 05:25 PM
PHBII is the book you want. It has several shield-related feats, including one that helps you TWF with shield bash. It also has a tactical feat based on spiked armor and shields.
Complete Warrior has a couple of things as well, but PHBII is better overall.

Enguhl
2007-11-14, 05:30 PM
Thanks, I was just on my way to get some books, and now that I've read this I may as well pick up PHB II as well.

Cool, I just picked up PHB II and its everything I wanted and more, thanks for the suggestion.

the_tick_rules
2007-11-15, 02:30 AM
yeah shield fighting can be made into a unique attack style. one advantage is (though D&D mechanics rules reduces it) nobody really expects you to use your shield as your main attacking weapon.

Fhaolan
2007-11-15, 09:10 AM
Has an official source actually modeled the dueling shield yet?

This was a RL 'weapon' used for judicial duels in late medieval Europe. It was a two-handed shield with large hooks and spikes all over it.

Keld Denar
2007-11-15, 09:33 AM
Has an official source actually modeled the dueling shield yet?

This was a RL 'weapon' used for judicial duels in late medieval Europe. It was a two-handed shield with large hooks and spikes all over it.

Not that I'm aware of. One of my players long ago came up with an idea to use 2 shields strapped to the arms in a way to resemble wings. The two shields had spiked projections that extended from the shield where the end of the fist would grip the inside strap or handle of the shield. The wielder could then "punch" with the spikes in similar fasion to a punch dagger, with the weight and stability of the shield behind the blow. The spikes on either side where alternating in positioning, allowing the 2 shields to lock together then the wielder put his fists together. This created a "taking cover behind your shield" effect, which increased his AC.

Was kind of a cool concept, but the player had kind of a short attention span and soon abandoned it in favor of the new "shiny of the day".

elliott20
2007-11-15, 10:10 AM
My friend built a shield bashing character using ToB and PHB2 and now he's suddenly running around yelling "CHARGING STAR!!". Yes, it's a captain america clone.