PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Moon domain - inconsistency

redking
2021-07-28, 08:28 AM
Granted Powers: Turn or destroy lycanthropes as a good cleric turns undead. Use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + Cha modifier.

The moon domain from the Forgotten Realms setting allows for the turning/destroying of lycanthropes. However, on page 128 of Silver Marches, Kuldus Droum a werebear cleric of Malar has the moon domain and the ability to 'SA rebuke lycanthropes'. Further into the statblock it says 'Domains: Moon (turn or destroy lycanthropes 2/day)'.

Rebuking lycanthropes makes a lot more sense for a cleric of Malar than turning lycanthropes. Is Kuldus really rebuking lycanthropes, or is this just a mistake?

liquidformat
2021-07-28, 09:13 AM
The moon domain from the Forgotten Realms setting allows for the turning/destroying of lycanthropes. However, on page 128 of Silver Marches, Kuldus Droum a werebear cleric of Malar has the moon domain and the ability to 'SA rebuke lycanthropes'. Further into the statblock it says 'Domains: Moon (turn or destroy lycanthropes 2/day)'.

Rebuking lycanthropes makes a lot more sense for a cleric of Malar than turning lycanthropes. Is Kuldus really rebuking lycanthropes, or is this just a mistake?

It might be worth while just making a second moon domain maybe call it darkmoon or simply make the functionality of the turning based on alignment if you are the dm.

In general WotC isn't great at editing so its hard to say what the mistake was...

ShurikVch
2021-07-28, 10:49 AM
FWIW, ability to rebuke lycanthropes can be granted by Moon domain in the Curse of the Moon (by Sean K Reynolds), and by Howling Moon domain for witches (Liber Mysterium: The Netbook of Witches & Warlocks)

Psyren
2021-07-28, 11:16 AM
I'd treat it like undead honestly - good get to turn, evil get to rebuke, neutral get to choose.

An alternate way of handling it - you can turn lycanthropes who oppose your G/E alignment, rebuke ones that share it, and both if you're neutral.

Vaern
2021-07-29, 09:19 AM
I'd go with the second moon domain with a separate effect, or make it dependent on whether you are a lycanthrope yourself... Making it alignment based could result in good lycanthropes being at constant risk of turning and destroying themselves.
Speaking of lycanthrope clerics, Google says 3e Malar is chaotic evil and the SRD says werebears are lawful good, with all lycanthropes being drawn towards their listed alignment over time if they are not already of that alignment. Unless I'm missing something (I'm not really familiar with any campaign setting specific materials, so there may be a Forgotten Realms thing I'm not aware of), that cleric would end up with an alignment that diametrically opposes hits deity, causing him to fail out of favor and lose his powers. Two inconsistencies in one entry?

hamishspence
2021-07-29, 09:22 AM
That cleric is CE. "Always X alignment" just means that exceptions are "either unique, or rare".

Tzardok
2021-07-29, 09:24 AM
Only infected lycanthropes are pushed into the listed alignment. Born lycanthropes can change their alignment like anybody else. Sure, an evil born werebear is as rare as a good drow or a lawful red dragon, but it's not impossible.

hamishspence
2021-07-29, 09:25 AM
Drow are only Usually NE, and not "Always evil (any)" so good drow are probably commoner than "chromatic dragons with atypical alignments" are.

Vaern
2021-07-29, 11:13 AM
That cleric is CE. "Always X alignment" just means that exceptions are "either unique, or rare".
In the case of lycanthropes, though, they need to make a saving throw every time they shift into animal form or else their alignment changes. Eventually they will roll a natural 1 and fail the save, forcing them into their appropriate alignment.

Only infected lycanthropes are pushed into the listed alignment. Born lycanthropes can change their alignment like anybody else. Sure, an evil born werebear is as rare as a good drow or a lawful red dragon, but it's not impossible.
Ah, there's the bit I was missing. Didn't know that natural lycanthropes weren't subject to the alignment shift.

Troacctid
2021-07-29, 03:48 PM
In a conflict between a general rule and an NPC statblock, the statblock is considered authoritative only for that creature. Anyone else, use the general rule.

Tzardok
2021-07-29, 03:51 PM
In a conflict between a general rule and an NPC statblock, the statblock is considered authoritative only for that creature. Anyone else, use the general rule.

In this case it is a conflict within an NPC statblock.

Thurbane
2021-07-29, 05:09 PM
In this case it is a conflict within an NPC statblock.

An error in a WotC stat block?

https://i.imgur.com/DOjJUCe.jpg

Remuko
2021-07-30, 12:04 AM
An error in a WotC stat block?

https://i.imgur.com/DOjJUCe.jpg

Inconceivable you say?

https://martech.zone/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/you-keep-using-that-word.jpg

hamishspence
2021-07-30, 11:30 AM
Ah, there's the bit I was missing. Didn't know that natural lycanthropes weren't subject to the alignment shift.

Yup - and the fluff section for that were bear specifically states he was "born a werebear".

redking
2021-07-31, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will consider the question in the OP answered. The consensus seems to be that both turn and rebuke are fine for the moon domain, whatever it says by RAW.