PDA

View Full Version : Character Idea advice/comments?

BRC
2007-11-14, 05:23 PM
So the next campaign my DM is running will be an epic-level evil campaign, I'm going to use my homebrewed Mad Scientist class. And I was trying to come up with how my character acts, what his motivation is.
I didn't feel like going with the Destroy Everything Nihlist, The Greedy overlord, The Angsty Antagonist who is just mad at the world. Instead I thought up somthing else to motivate him: Curiosity, mixed with a hefty dose of insanity.
My character see's the world as his lab rat, and everything with an uncertain outcome as an experiment waiting to be tested. He dosn't burn down a village and stride among the ruins spitting on corpses and personally executing survivors, he records the original population of said village, it's political situation, how many of its inhabitants run, how many try to fight, how many try to bargain, and how many just give up. He then takes that information and adds it to the results of all his other studies, not touching them until he needs to record how the good forces of the world respond to this, and what he did with the bodies. His alliance with the rest of the party is mostly one of convienience, all of the intresting "good" things have already been done, but these people are already going to get the artifact of doom, he might as well tag along to study it and whatevers defending it. You get the idea. And since the shattered remains of his sanity is currently in a room with padded walls, he see's nothing wrong with this. He's like a child who looks into the window at a candy store and dosn't see why he can't have all of it and if he can get away with it will take the candy and feel he's done nothing wrong.

Now, some questions
1) do you think this type of character could work, if you do, do you have any advice for playing such a character.
2) Is there any crunch I should know about that might help facilitate this type of character. I was thinking of doing somthing along the lines of giving him a library that can provide a bonus on any knowledge skill check, provided another check is made to find what your looking for among the massive volume of information he has there, which is not orginized according to any meaningful system. And maybe some magic thing that can automatically record things for him so he dosn't have to spend all his time writing stuff down.