PDA

View Full Version : Rage Ranger

nick_crenshaw
2021-07-28, 09:45 PM
How smart of an idea is it to replace the Ranger's spell casting ability with the Barbarian's Rage ability or some variant there of?

pabelfly
2021-07-28, 10:28 PM
Spellcasting, even spells capped at 4th-level, is more powerful than trading for rage, some Fighter feats, etc.

But if you think it fits in terms of character flavour, roleplay, or you just don't want a Ranger with spellcasting, go for it. I am a fan of the ACF that trades spells for four fighter feats from a list.

nick_crenshaw
2021-07-28, 10:53 PM
Spellcasting, even spells capped at 4th-level, is more powerful than trading for rage, some Fighter feats, etc.

But if you think it fits in terms of character flavour, roleplay, or you just don't want a Ranger with spellcasting, go for it. I am a fan of the ACF that trades spells for four fighter feats from a list.

How about add the Barbarian Rage ability to the Non-spellcasting Ranger from the Complete Ranger?

Thurbane
2021-07-28, 11:03 PM
There's a Barbarian variant in UA (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#barbarian) that trades rage, greater rage, indomitable will, tireless rage, mighty rage for favored enemy (as ranger); archery combat style, improved archery combat style, and archery combat style mastery (as ranger).

In theory at least, if you reversed it, it should be somewhat balanced.

pabelfly
2021-07-28, 11:48 PM
How about add the Barbarian Rage ability to the Non-spellcasting Ranger from the Complete Ranger?

I'd opine that spells would be stronger. Rage gives you better stats, etc, but spells solve problems that Rage can't. However, this isn't so dramatic that I'd give up on a character concept for them. It sounds like you'd have more fun playing a character that uses Rage than casts spells, so make the character you want to play.

bean illus
2021-07-29, 09:03 PM
If I was DM, I would suggest just alternating Ranger and Barbarian. Ranger 6 with Barbarian 5 is a good start.

There are plenty of ACFs for either of those, and you have 9 levels to finish off with. Perhaps Arcane Hunter, Champion of the Wild, Strong-arm Style with the 6th level Moon Warded substitute, and Solitary Hunting on the ranger side.

Lion Totem and Dashing Step on the Barbarian side.

Now you rage at your favored enemies, pounce without an armour class penalty on the charge or provoking AoO. Anything that cast a spell is a favored enemy, and the FE bonus applies to damage also. You have Power Attack, and a bonus feat. Your DR is increased.

You haven't used a single feat.