PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused on stats

waffletaco
2007-11-14, 06:08 PM
on every roll modifier bonus, 12 14 16 etc
What does it mean in terms of roleplaying/real life situations?
how much stronger or dexterous or smarter would one be? I apologize if this topic was done before, I could not find it using search.

Krrth
2007-11-14, 06:18 PM
how much stronger or dexterous or smarter would one be? I apologize if this topic was done before, I could not find it using search.

I'm not sure anout some of them, but strength has a chart in the PH that tells you lifting weights. Int translates fairly well by adding a 0. I.E., 10 int= 100 IQ, 18 Int = 180 IQ.

Setra
2007-11-14, 06:25 PM
I'm fairly sure Int to IQ doesn't work that way.

Douglas
2007-11-14, 06:33 PM
If you must equate intelligence to IQ, the correct equivalence is 1 point of int = 5 points of IQ. Thus, with 10 int = 100 IQ as the average, 18 int = 140 IQ and 3 int = 65 IQ. Technically it really should be 10.5 int = 100 IQ, but that minor difference isn't very significant.

TheLogman
2007-11-14, 06:34 PM
Especially since Intelligence is more than just what IQ represents, and IQ is not a perfect representation of someone's intelligence anyway.

As for the OP, it could be roleplayed as when the character gains the stat gain, and goes to an even number, he has learned something through his adventures (in the case of Int), gained practice and improved their body, (Con, Dex, and Str), became more charismatic from practice, (Cha), or become more wise from experience (Wis).

Kurald Galain
2007-11-14, 08:16 PM
If you must equate intelligence to IQ, the correct equivalence is 1 point of int = 5 points of IQ. Thus, with 10 int = 100 IQ as the average, 18 int = 140 IQ and 3 int = 65 IQ. Technically it really should be 10.5 int = 100 IQ, but that minor difference isn't very significant.

Well, if you put it that way, given that IQ score is based on testing, a highly intelligent creature (such as a high-level wizard, or a dragon) would have more questions correct than are actually on the test. Freaky, no? :smallbiggrin:

ocato
2007-11-14, 08:28 PM
For all stats, 10 is average for a human being. Compare from there.

Alex12
2007-11-14, 08:58 PM
the trouble is that above 16 and below 5, the stats relating Int, just kinda...break. See link below for details.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~jamesstarlight/Statistics.html

Serpentine
2007-11-14, 09:01 PM
Damn. I read an article on the internut defending the "realism" of D&D that went through all the stats giving them a real-life equivalent that I always want to offer up when these questions are asked. Basically, 10-11 fitted as approximately average, something like 12-16 were exceptional individuals but no more than, say, an athlete or a scholar, and 17-20 was in the realms of mythological heroism, but then you're playing fantasy heroes anyway. If anyone knows where it is I'd love to know, I should save it in my favourites or somesuch.

Cubey
2007-11-14, 09:06 PM
Basically, 10-11 fitted as approximately average, something like 12-16 were exceptional individuals but no more than, say, an athlete or a scholar, and 17-20 was in the realms of mythological heroism

I'm very skeptical to such estimations. 18 is easily within normal human limits. Proof? An STR 8 character versus an STR 18 one in an arms-wrestling contest (or any other feat of pure strength and not anything which you could consider a skill/BAB/save). Even if we consider that draws are won by the stronger one, the STR 8 one wins in 25% cases. Show me a herculean athlete who loses an armswrestling contest to a skinny geek 1/4th of a time.

horseboy
2007-11-14, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure anout some of them, but strength has a chart in the PH that tells you lifting weights. Int translates fairly well by adding a 0. I.E., 10 int= 100 IQ, 18 Int = 180 IQ.
It used to, but they changed it in 3.x

Temp
2007-11-14, 09:52 PM
18 is easily within normal human limits.
Definitely, but not by your reasoning.

If "stats" are generated with a roll of 3d6, one out of 216 people will have an 18 in a certain stat.

18 Int=Smartest ~0.5% of the population (1/216)
17 Int=Next Smartest ~1.5% of the population (3/216)
16 Int=Next Smartest ~3% of the population (6/216)
15 Int=Next Smartest ~4% of the population (10/216)
14 Int=Next Smartest ~7% of the population (15/216)
13 Int=Next Smartest ~9% of the population (21/216)
12 Int=Next Smartest ~12% of the population (25/216)
11 Int=Next Smartest ~13% of the population (27/216)
10 Int=Next Smartest ~13% of the population (27/216)
9 Int=Next Smartest ~12% of the population (25/216)
8 Int=Next Smartest ~9% of the population (21/216)
7 Int=Next Smartest ~7% of the population (15/216)
6 Int=Next Smartest ~4% of the population (10/216)
5 Int=Next Smartest ~3% of the population (6/216)
4 Int=Next Smartest ~1.5% of the population (3/216)
3 Int=Next Smartest ~0.5% of the population (1/216)

Adjust meanings by statistic. Numbers stay the same.

Tequila Sunrise
2007-11-14, 10:19 PM

It's a highly debated issue. There are no official rules or comparisons on the subject, so of course everyone has an opinion. I'm one of those who likes to define stats in only the vaguest terms. For example, anything from -2 to +2 is roughly average. Anything +3 or above is exceptional, while anything -3 or below is poor. Beyond this I don't like to define what exactly stats mean in the game because firstly, players will play their characters however they want to regardless of their stats and monsters...well monster stats are pretty arbitrary and exist mostly to provide HPs, AB, damage, saves and DCs.

Crow
2007-11-14, 10:25 PM
Strength is very easy to figure out. Check out the carrying capacity table on page (161?) of the Player's Handbook.

Go to the gym and do a deadlift for the maximum weight you can handle. Then do a shoulder press or jerk.

Deadlift = Lift off ground weight
Shoulder Press/Jerk = Overhead weight

Compare your totals to the chart...chances are you will get two different scores, so meet in the middle.

MCerberus
2007-11-14, 10:33 PM
In Catgirl World a great tragedy is occurring because of this thread.

Epic_Wizard
2007-11-14, 10:43 PM
Really, since all D&D mechanics are is application of probability, your Int ect scores really just reflect the probability that you know something, can lift something, have a good idea, whatever.

I would think of an increase in your Int score as you paying attention a lot to little facts you overhear or studying when you get the chance. The same goes for Knowledge skills but with more emphasis on study and less on overheard or briefly mentioned information. If your character doesn't bother remembering little bits of information and instead does magic tricks and practices balancing things and on things then his Dexterity would improve instead.

At some point you can say that a character is no longer getting stronger or smarter their proficiency in using that skill is growing. A character with an Int of 40 doesn't necessarily know exponentially more than a character with a 20 in Int. They can however recall that information much quicker and with greater accuracy. They might also have more obscure bits of lore or ones that pertain to them more than to a lower level character. This same thing can be applies to Strength. The character with a 40 in Strength is only a little bit stronger than the character with the 22 (baring massive magical enhancements which don't have a real limit since it's, you know, magic) he can just apply that force in a better way. He braces himself better, swings his sword for maximum effect, and hits the door at its weakest point. If you don't believe me on the Strength bit just watch karate or a professional who relies on Strength. If you get bull rushed enough times or break down enough doors then you will learn the best way move and act in these situations. In this way an Epic Level Fighter with a massive Strength bonus really can trip and grapple a dragon because he knows the best place to hit its leg and where the proper application of force with have the most effect.

This isn't to say that incredibly high stats aren't just what they look like. But after a certain point the bonus is experience and practice as much as it is raw power or knowledge.

Keep in mind that this is just my interpretation of the rules and not in any way official so don't take it as gospel and feel free to debate this with me or just plain disagree.

Toliudar
2007-11-14, 10:46 PM
I'm very skeptical to such estimations. 18 is easily within normal human limits. Proof? An STR 8 character versus an STR 18 one in an arms-wrestling contest (or any other feat of pure strength and not anything which you could consider a skill/BAB/save). Even if we consider that draws are won by the stronger one, the STR 8 one wins in 25% cases. Show me a herculean athlete who loses an armswrestling contest to a skinny geek 1/4th of a time.

This is why one of my favourite new houserules substitutes 3d6 for a 1d20 on ability and skill checks. It makes for about the same distribution of results, but emphasizes average results WAY more.

String
2007-11-14, 10:48 PM

Except the PHB specifically states that in a match of pure strength (such as an arm-wrestling match, which they state), the stronger character simply wins. So a STR18 wins 100% of the time.

and if they are equal, you're supposed to flip a coin I think, but I would simply compare Con, to see if who can keep it up longer.

Dervag
2007-11-14, 10:48 PM
At some point you can say that a character is no longer getting stronger or smarter their proficiency in using that skill is growing. A character with an Int of 40 doesn't necessarily know exponentially more than a character with a 20 in Int. They can however recall that information much quicker and with greater accuracy. They might also have more obscure bits of lore or ones that pertain to them more than to a lower level character.Also, they're going to be superhumanly quick at putting together pieces of obscure information, and their plans will be superhumanly complicated.

This same thing can be applies to Strength. The character with a 40 in Strength is only a little bit stronger than the character with the 22 (baring massive magical enhancements which don't have a real limit since it's, you know, magic) he can just apply that force in a better way. He braces himself better, swings his sword for maximum effect, and hits the door at its weakest point. If you don't believe me on the Strength bit just watch karate or a professional who relies on Strength.

If you get bull rushed enough times or break down enough doors then you will learn the best way move and act in these situations. In this way an Epic Level Fighter with a massive Strength bonus really can trip and grapple a dragon because he knows the best place to hit its leg and where the proper application of force with have the most effect.Yes, but he can also lift a really really big rock, so heavy that no normal human could do it.

No matter how cleverly you employ the strength you have, there is no way for you to carry around two tons of concrete without having superhuman strength. But a Strength 40 character can do exactly that.

Jack Zander
2007-11-14, 10:53 PM

I believe there is something listed in either the players handbook or the DM's guide about arm wrestling. It states that for some opposed ability checks (and specifically gives arm wrestling as an example), you do not need to roll. The better person simply wins. This could work for a sprint (DEX), a race (CON), a test (INT), or anything else where it simply comes down to who is better in the stat.

EDIT: Attack of the SUPER simu ninjas!

Temp
2007-11-15, 12:38 PM
Addendum:

18 is easily within normal human limits.
Definitely, but not by your reasoning.

If "stats" are generated with a roll of 3d6, one out of 216 people will have an 18 in a certain stat.

18 Int=Smartest ~0.5% of the population (1/216)
17 Int=Next Smartest ~1.5% of the population (3/216)
16 Int=Next Smartest ~3% of the population (6/216)
15 Int=Next Smartest ~4% of the population (10/216)
14 Int=Next Smartest ~7% of the population (15/216)
13 Int=Next Smartest ~9% of the population (21/216)
12 Int=Next Smartest ~12% of the population (25/216)
11 Int=Next Smartest ~13% of the population (27/216)
10 Int=Next Smartest ~13% of the population (27/216)
9 Int=Next Smartest ~12% of the population (25/216)
8 Int=Next Smartest ~9% of the population (21/216)
7 Int=Next Smartest ~7% of the population (15/216)
6 Int=Next Smartest ~4% of the population (10/216)
5 Int=Next Smartest ~3% of the population (6/216)
4 Int=Next Smartest ~1.5% of the population (3/216)
3 Int=Next Smartest ~0.5% of the population (1/216)

Adjust meanings by statistic. Numbers stay the same.

Of course, "the population" will have to be tiered by age. In older people, 16+ in a mental ability score will be relatively common.

Does that make sense? Not really, but it's just a game.

Telonius
2007-11-15, 12:53 PM
Damn. I read an article on the internut defending the "realism" of D&D that went through all the stats giving them a real-life equivalent that I always want to offer up when these questions are asked. Basically, 10-11 fitted as approximately average, something like 12-16 were exceptional individuals but no more than, say, an athlete or a scholar, and 17-20 was in the realms of mythological heroism, but then you're playing fantasy heroes anyway. If anyone knows where it is I'd love to know, I should save it in my favourites or somesuch.

I think this (http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/misc/d&d-calibrating.html) is the one you're talking about.

Serpentine
2007-11-15, 01:07 PM
It is indeed, thanks very muchly. Save'd. I recommend it, Sir OP.