PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dealing with Downtime (IRL)

SpicyBoi_Nezu
2021-07-29, 04:55 PM
I just want to know how players deal with downtime between sessions or campaigns. Due to COVID, scheduling issues, life issues, and arguments, my D&D group disbanded and has no plans of reforming any time in the next year or two. Thankfully I was invited to play in one of my friend's family campaign (w/ his Parent's and three siblings), but scheduling is difficult since we're all adults.

I have a tendency to look through sourcebooks, campaign settings, and forums, expanding my knowledge of different stuff. But I always find myself getting frustrated and vexed, because I have so many ideas for characters, monsters, and campaigns, but nowhere to implement them.

I was wondering if anyone had similar issues, and what they did to help from getting frustrated. Also a place for people to share frustrations with difficulties scheduling, since most every D&D player has encounter those kinds of issues.

Thurbane
2021-07-29, 05:06 PM
We filled in with some Roll20 (played through a 5E module). That was quite fun, although not every enjoyed it as much as I did.

Also, since we play a 'Beer & Pretzels' type game, when games are cancelled, we often catch up for a video chat and have a couple of drinks.

Time Troll
2021-07-29, 10:42 PM
Play online.

Yes, it's not a great as real life......but it's better then nothing.

You can do a classic play by post, or even do a live game.

I love play by post myself. I have ten games going, so any time I log in online I'm sure to find at least ONE of them has posted something for me to respond too.

Solo games are also great as they let you get more deep and immersed into a plot story.

aglondier
2021-07-31, 02:14 AM
Use the downtime to write your next campaign...and if you still have plenty of time, write the stories of the npcs and lands...

You will either end up with an awesomely fleshed out campaign setting, or you'll have enough written to publish the next great fantasy novel series...

Lord Vukodlak
2021-07-31, 02:17 AM
I just want to know how players deal with downtime between sessions or campaigns. Due to COVID, scheduling issues, life issues, and arguments, my D&D group disbanded and has no plans of reforming any time in the next year or two. Thankfully I was invited to play in one of my friend's family campaign (w/ his Parent's and three siblings), but scheduling is difficult since we're all adults.

I have a tendency to look through sourcebooks, campaign settings, and forums, expanding my knowledge of different stuff. But I always find myself getting frustrated and vexed, because I have so many ideas for characters, monsters, and campaigns, but nowhere to implement them.

I was wondering if anyone had similar issues, and what they did to help from getting frustrated. Also a place for people to share frustrations with difficulties scheduling, since most every D&D player has encounter those kinds of issues.

Our group used rolld20 to run the games and discord to talk. Ironically due curfew inducing riots and a few blizzards. We were able to meet on days we'd have had to cancel.

RNightstalker
2021-07-31, 09:39 PM
I just get frustrated because I'll put more time into thinking up new characters and campaigns and encounters and whatnot, and there's just a bigger backlog in my brain lol

Zanos
2021-07-31, 10:46 PM
Theorycraft, crawl roll20 LFG for games. Check ten year old handbooks for errors/bad opinions, read old 3rd party books nobody has really gone through.

I just like numbers, I guess. Enough to put up with the very colorful cast that's playing 3.5 on roll20. But I have found a few genuinely solid groups over the years.

RNightstalker
2021-08-01, 07:31 PM
playing 3.5 on roll20. But I have found a few genuinely solid groups over the years.

I was looking for 3.5 on roll20 but didn't find any.