2006-01-18, 09:27 PM
Outstanding!

Loved the awkward moment. Great touch.

Ravenlord
Be late Belkar, be late...

Elkarbay
You posted before reading it? What's the point of that!?!?

It'd be pretty bad if Belkar walked in right about....now. Hahaha.

nightfire8199
2006-01-18, 09:28 PM
sweet 8)

Nightfall
2006-01-18, 09:29 PM
>chuckle!< Another great strip, Giant. Can't wait to see Friday's. :D

Leveller
2006-01-18, 09:30 PM

Otherwise I wouldnt have gotten the almighty FIRST POST lol :P

Lorde
2006-01-18, 09:30 PM
It“s good to see I am not the only one who dislike the little jerk.

On your face, Belkar! :D

nightfire8199
2006-01-18, 09:31 PM
"slipping the wood" LOL :D
once again great one giant

Randomnesh
2006-01-18, 09:31 PM
Great comic. Had me giggling the whole way through.

Celia to the rescue!

omikapsi
2006-01-18, 09:34 PM
So I check the comic, see that it's still not up, and hop over to the message boards to see if it's going to be posted at all. Not a criticism of giants posting schedule.

To my surprise, there is a post about the comic that should be there, that says it's up. What the? I pop back to the comic and hit 'refresh'. Sure enough, the little 'next' changes color, indicating it's now a live link. :P

Anyway, that punch line is excellent. First time I've laughed out loud for a while.
Don't get me wrong, I love the comic, but the last few haven't really 'clicked' for me. Humor is like that.
I'm sure that there's some deep psychological signficance here, but I couldn't really care much less.

Winged One
2006-01-18, 09:34 PM
I love these literal/figurtive jokes. Elan's blade, slipping the wood, Rod of Lordly Might, the whole "king" strip, I liked 'em all. It's probably because I'm half-english teacher.

(you think getting the First Post is good? I used to actually start these topics sometimes!)

Flak_Razorwill
2006-01-18, 09:35 PM
I'm glad the characters are big again. It was kinda tiring with the small scale.

Anyways, why is he giving her an office plant? I know it's a double entendre, but is that some sort of magical devotional ritual in D&D?

Rei_Jin
I have to say, awesome.

The Giant yet again manages to tie up lose ends, whilst making tongue in cheek jokes.

*bows before Giant*

Lyc
Hmm, I assumer 'wanker' has a different meaning in the US than Aus/UK?

Devoured_Dude
2006-01-18, 09:37 PM

Nope, it's about the same.

I don't want to know the specifics of what Celia's boyfriend was doing, but if splinters were involved, they'd be real painful.

Gengy
2006-01-18, 09:38 PM
Who thinks we'll get to see what Belkar and Miko are up to next? lol...

It'll be an interesting trail. VERY interesting. I am laughing manically with glee right now.

Leveller
2006-01-18, 09:38 PM

Still Durkon is scotish no? (well I guess he isn't really but you know what I mean) ;D

The Giant
2006-01-18, 09:39 PM

Durkon is referring to the tree itself, not the dryad, as per his dendraphobia.

Hawkeye
2006-01-18, 09:40 PM
Shame that things didn't work out for Celia.... but nice to know that she's helping out the OOTS and hopefully do it sucessfully.

Reaver225
2006-01-18, 09:41 PM

It's an actual fear?!

Also: she's wearing blue!

Deuce
2006-01-18, 09:42 PM

Oh, I'm sure there's an even worse moment around the bend . . .

Lyc
2006-01-18, 09:45 PM

Just checked dictionary.com...my bad. The US usage is definetly different. Especially if referring to the tree...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=wanker

Aus/UK/Can(?) use it as usage #1
Looks like the US must use #2

evileeyore
2006-01-18, 09:45 PM
Slipping the wood! Bwahahaha!

I've been caught in innocent "not so innocent" looking moments before.

Just checked dictionary.com...my bad. The US usage is definetly different. Especially if referring to the tree...

Looks like the US must use #2we us both 1 and 2.

However it is more along the lines of "I need a cold shower or a wank" and the old "He's a wanker (idiot, moron, reprobate)". Wank may also be switched with yank, fap, squeeze, and stroke. I'm sure there are even more euphamisms, but really I haven't all day.

Count-Tyr
2006-01-18, 09:47 PM
Hahaha great comic giant...Love the punchline

The Giant
2006-01-18, 09:48 PM

Looks like the US must use #2

No, this isn't an international thing, it means both in both countries, to my knowledge. In the same way that you call someone a "bastard" it doesn't literally mean you believe them to be of illegitimate birth.

PhantomFox
2006-01-18, 09:48 PM
Very nice. But there's always the rub...

Lyc
2006-01-18, 09:52 PM
No, this isn't an international thing, it means both in both countries, to my knowledge.
Fair enough, you're the boss :)

Its just funny sometimes the subtly different meanings in words across countries

Thongs - US: Skimpy underwear. Aus: Type of sandal
Rooting - US: supporting your team. Aus: Um...bumping uglies
etc

Zargon
Slipping the wood!
As a dryad is a tree fairy of course!

Laman_Stahros
Great comic Giant. In the words of our favorite redhead - 'Fantastic'!

deathregis
2006-01-18, 09:53 PM
It doesn't say it in there, but I always here people using it to mean "complain". ie "quit your wanking." And thus a wanker would be someone who complains a lot (a usage I also hear a lot). But I don't think that's the way Durkon used it though. (This usage is American btw)

Hawkeye
2006-01-18, 09:54 PM
In the words of our favorite redhead - 'Fantastic'!

I agree, I got the same word when I worked it out

(BTW congrats on your first post, you got the translation before the rest of us)

Brickwall
2006-01-18, 09:54 PM
Awkwaarrrd.

Awesome comic. I personally think the "slipping the wood" thing was good, but not as good as it could be. It just felt as though the comic were missing something, but I can't really say what.

evileeyore
2006-01-18, 09:56 PM

Its just funny sometimes the subtly different meanings in words across countries

etc
The same. In Florida a thong is either skimpy swimwear, an undergarment, or a 'flip-flop' (sandal that is loose and meant for beach strolling). It is really in how one uses it.

Similar with 'rooting' but we say 'rutting'. Same deal.

Blackeagle
2006-01-18, 09:59 PM
I love Celia's speech in the 2nd to last panel, but shouldn't Belkar be standing right behind her (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=246)?

nightfire8199
2006-01-18, 09:59 PM
ooooooh awkward

any way what did he mean when he said that them leafy wankers have ruined many homes? the homes part i mean. mabye its some d&d thing im not aware of.

Amalthea
2006-01-18, 10:00 PM

etc
Thongs can also mean sandals in the US. In fact, I didn't know there was another meaning to the word till I was well into my teens.

As for rooting, in addition to the US meaning of cheering a team, and the Aussie meaning of dubious morality ;), rooting also means causing a plant cutting to develop roots.

Rooting is also a breastfeeding term that describes an infant's behavior when he is ready to nurse.

And now you know more about the word rooting than you EVER wanted to. You're welcome.

bluish_wolf
2006-01-18, 10:00 PM
No, this isn't an international thing, it means both in both countries, to my knowledge. In the same way that you call someone a "bastard" it doesn't literally mean you believe them to be of illegitimate birth.

"Wanker" is British slang, to my knowlege. The American version of that insult is "jerk," I belive. I may be wrong, though.

EvilMinion
2006-01-18, 10:04 PM
Hmm... according to Maritime legend, the albatross is a sign of good luck.

On the other hand, *killing* an albatross is very bad luck indeed.

Of course, being a paraelemental of air ... I would not expect Cilia to be up on her water-based mythology. =)

xrestassuredx
2006-01-18, 10:09 PM
I love Celia's speech in the 2nd to last panel, but shouldn't Belkar be standing right behind her (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=246)?
If Belkar and Miko keep each other occupied long enough, as far as we know no one there other than the Order and Hinjo even know he's around. Of course, his absence for the entirety of the trial would violate an important Law, you're right...

luilupino
2006-01-18, 10:12 PM
Real Nice, best comic in a long time !!!
Yay Go giant

Hawkeye
2006-01-18, 10:14 PM

Of course, being a paraelemental of air ... I would not expect Cilia to be up on her water-based mythology. =)

According to the internet dictionary:

Albatross

1. Any of several large web-footed birds constituting the family Diomedeidae, chiefly of the oceans of the Southern Hemisphere, and having a hooked beak and long narrow wings.

2. a: A constant, worrisome burden.
b: An obstacle to success.

evileeyore
2006-01-18, 10:14 PM
"Wanker" is British slang, to my knowlege. The American version of that insult is "jerk," I belive. I may be wrong, though.
Thanks to:

Graham Chapman, (creator), writer (45 episodes 1969-1974), Various Roles (1969-1974);
John Cleese, (creator) & writer (42 episodes 1969-1974), Announcer/Various Roles (1969-1973);
Eric Idle, (creator) & writer (45 episodes 1969-1974), Various Roles (1969-1974);
Terry Jones, (creator), writer (45 episodes 1969-1974), Nude Organist/Various Roles (1969-1974);
Michael Palin, (creator), writer (45 episodes 1969-1974), 'It's' Man/Various Roles (1969-1974);
Terry Gilliam, (creator), writer (45 episodes 1969-1974), Various Roles (1969-1974);

and not least

Neil Innes, writer (episode "The Light Entertainment War" 1974);
Carol Cleveland, Various Roles (1969-1974);
Douglas Adams, writer (episode "Party Political Broadcast on Behalf of the Liberal Party" 1974).

Bringing British terms into common parlance since the Circus was founded...

xrestassuredx
2006-01-18, 10:16 PM
Also, anyone else notice that in each of the last like five or six comics where Elan speaks, there's someone making that face (Roy's face in the last frame) in one panel where he's saying something?

Caledonian
2006-01-18, 10:18 PM

On the other hand, *killing* an albatross is very bad luck indeed. Yes, and in The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, the individual who killed the albatross forced to wear it around his neck - it represented both the weight of his sin and the crucifix.

The_Shadow
2006-01-18, 10:21 PM
Personally I laughed the hardest at Durkon's line about the "leafy wankers". I just never expected him to ever say anything like that - not to mention that he just *does not give up* on his hatred of trees!

I also have always used "thong" for flip-flop sandals. It's a common usage here. (Oregon, USA.) (A genuine, AFAIK, difference between the versions of English that's always amused me is that what Americans call an "eraser", Australians call a "rubber"...)

And the phrase "albatross around the neck" always refers to an intolerable burden one can't seem to discard. As mentioned, it's a reference to "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner".

Sundog
2006-01-18, 10:25 PM
Ah, Giant, not to be a prude, but I'm not certain you realise that "Wanker" is a moderately strong swear word outside the US. It jarred a bit; the language in OoTS is usually G, this kind of put it up to PG13.

Hawkeye
2006-01-18, 10:26 PM
evileeyore, due to the monty python reference any chance your english?

Tharr
2006-01-18, 10:27 PM
Love the comic and it seems people like it plus Dragon of late had some great words for it. Seems people are taking some notice.

It just a matter of time for the VH1 special on the OOTS and then came the cold medicine. The part with giving the wood probably he was doing alot more with a lovely dryad.

Now with no boyfriend someone could make a move on her go for it Roy. Show Elan up and steal her away before Belkar shows up.

Lyc
2006-01-18, 10:29 PM
As for rooting, in addition to the US meaning of cheering a team, and the Aussie meaning of dubious morality ;), rooting also means causing a plant cutting to develop roots.

At a guess maybe it's contextal and cultural as to which of the myraid of meanings comes first to mind. For example, when we had someone from the US here at work, she commented she was "rooting her team" on the SkyChannel there was a considerable number of snickers and raised eyebrows.

With 'wanker' I always understood it to be a 'mild' or even 'friendly' insult in the US. Here (Aus) its not such a lighthearted one. It pretty much means that you are activley engaged in some form of self pleasuring activity and not a common subsitute for jerk, tosser, etc.

Not that I mind. Comics - both educational and fun :)

Jonsayt
2006-01-18, 10:32 PM
Great strip. Couldn't stop laughing about the 'slipping the wood' line. I didn't even realise that Durkon was referring to trees when he used the line 'leafy wankers' - I thought he was talking about dryads. When I realised it was referring to his fear of trees, I laughed even louder.

Just a note about the one-tone or two-tone colour of Celia's wings, her wings have another colour when she's standing in the spotlight - nice touch.

Arin
2006-01-18, 10:44 PM
Ah, Giant, not to be a prude, but I'm not certain you realise that "Wanker" is a moderately strong swear word outside the US. It jarred a bit; the language in OoTS is usually G, this kind of put it up to PG13.

It's been said more than once in the comic's history that some adult content would be part of it. And hell, any word would be less risque than the whole "Trouser Titan" story arc. ;)

Devoured_Dude
2006-01-18, 11:02 PM

And yet "jerk" also has the unfortunate connotations involving self-pleasuring, depending on what part of the world you're in.

Eriol
2006-01-18, 11:03 PM
That's the first thing I thought of too.

rosebud
2006-01-18, 11:13 PM
Wow, the etymology of wanker and references to Coleridge's poetry. Fun strip.

The funny thing is I read it as "leafy workers" and couldn't for the life of me figure out why the heck everyone was talking about wankers. Oh, that doesn't say workers after all! Perhaps I need some glasses. :)

I still love the spotlights. So wonderfully random. :)

Shame that things didn't work out for Celia....Single, unattached, on a good career track, and handling a high-profile case? Sounds great on the work front and filled with possibilities on the life side.

shouldn't Belkar be standing right behind her?I hope not! :( There's too much we're, um, dying to know about what happened between Belkar and Miko.

"Wanker" is a moderately strong swear word outside the USThat reminds me of "The Spy Who Shagged Me" having to go out as "Austin Powers II" in England. I find the whole notion of swear words to be a bit overdone.

aaronbourque
2006-01-18, 11:14 PM
Otherwise I wouldnt have gotten the almighty FIRST POST lol :P
Ugh.

First post posters are on fire with lose.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

theKOT
2006-01-18, 11:22 PM
This was the best one in a while. I had felt it was getting a bit tedious for the sake of humor, but this one had a good bit of exposition while still maintaining the level of hilarity. Well done!

evileeyore
2006-01-18, 11:23 PM
evileeyore, due to the monty python reference any chance your english?
Nope. I would be Amerikan. This is a term for an American that sides with the President above all other concerns...

I'd go more into it, but thats a very heated political contention for some folks.

Birdeye
2006-01-18, 11:36 PM

etc

Rooting means to smite evil (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=212) in Aussie land? Interesting.

I suppose it makes sense. Rooting out evil and all.

;)

Tharr
2006-01-18, 11:41 PM
So planting is smite good.

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-01-18, 11:46 PM
Ok, this might be an odd juxtapositioning of sci-fi and fantasy but when I read the albatross line my mind went straight to Joss Whedon's "Serenity" and the scene when Capt Reynolds comforts Inara with news that, "yes, I've read a poem..."

The Giant
2006-01-18, 11:46 PM

Well, not to be blunt, but the strip includes "damn it" in the first strip, and has since used the words, "bitch", "goddamn," and "bastard" on several occasions, all of which are fairly strong in the US. We've also had multiple references to sex acts and penises, often as the punchline. I realize exactly how strong "wanker" is. PG-13 is exactly where OOTS has always been, I just submit that you didn't notice before.

Fale
2006-01-18, 11:49 PM

I wouldn't say so. The comic's rules have been broken before as shown in these two comics: #229 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=229) & #242 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=242)

Corolinth
2006-01-18, 11:49 PM

Day after day, day after day, we stuck, nor breath nor motion; as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean. Water, water, everywhere, and all the boards did shrink; water, water, everywhere, nor any drop to drink.

Tharr
2006-01-18, 11:55 PM
Just blame the cold medicine.
Seriously the word crud overseas is frowned on.
Canada everyione says that sucks alot.
Surprised Roy has not once gone totally ghetto.
The evil mean lich also flips off Redcloak in a panel by saying hey guess what finger just grew back.
Techinally a worse thing than any word.
Haley also joked about here top comong off searching traps on a door while everyone watched.
Plus Elan the nude streaker.
The magical orbs in the hotel room was great.
Wanker is also loser.

Midnight Son
2006-01-19, 12:08 AM
I think that many of the English speaking countries adopt the swear words of other english speaking countries for use because they are not considered to be quite as bad as the swear words from their native soil. As an American, I can call someone in the US a "bloody wanker" and not get punched in the face. If I called a Brit by that moniker, I would expect to be defending myself quite soon. Of course, we also do that with other languages. You should hear some of the horrible curses my friends throw around in Spanish. South of the border, they'd have their throats slit for them by the friendly locals.

Quixote
2006-01-19, 12:09 AM
Just a note about the one-tone or two-tone colour of Celia's wings, her wings have another colour when she's standing in the spotlight - nice touch.

Ehm, she's never actually standing in the spotlight, only behind it, and everything behind the spotlight is a lighter shade...

I'm glad they're all happy to see each other... I was worried Celia might have been offended in the last panel and Roy would have tried to apologise, making things worse, and everything would become uncomfortable...

So, she's single now... ;)

Krytha
2006-01-19, 12:10 AM
I figured the next comic strip would feature the forces of the laws of Comedic Physics but either way, Celia will be displeased (last time she saw Belkar he was wearing an awfully strange hat, no?). Hoorah for OotS.

Maybe Elan can plead guilty on accounts of Low intelligence and wisdom scores and be sentenced to a few months of community service? Miko might arrive soon with Belkar in tow... He couldnt have gone far with so many people to kill and him low on hit points (I dont think he was ever healed since their fight).

Mr._Blinky
2006-01-19, 12:13 AM
I like Durkon's "Who?", because he of course has never met her before, since he was level drained at the time.

Tariskat
2006-01-19, 12:14 AM
But surely Belkar has had a chance to sleep. He's been in a cell, waiting, without his friends/companions just waiting to be freed. Wouldn't that increase his HPs at least a little?

Edit: And if he's killed enough people, couldn't he have leveled up and have more or restored HPs?

Caledonian
2006-01-19, 12:19 AM
Given that all of the characters were badly injured when we saw them enchained, and none of them were hurt when we saw them again in the cells, I think it's clear that they were all healed. I doubt the paladins could have done otherwise - their prisoners' well-being is their responsibility, at least until their sentences are carried out.

Krytha
2006-01-19, 12:34 AM
I think Belkar still had injure marks on him when he jumped out of his containment cell. If Miko knew Belkar was evil (which she clearly does), she might've ordered them not to heal him. Sleep does restore hp but Im not sure how much he would have regained. And the other OotS members are good is some shape or form so they wouldve been healed under paladin responsibility or Durkon

thatwolfguy
2006-01-19, 12:41 AM
ooooooo awkward - i love that!

my DM lets us regain 1 hp for 8 hours sleep.

by the way, "Arwcrxcon!" could also mean 'Believing!' or 'Intensely!' but i'd go with 'Fantastic!' too

MyriadSouls
2006-01-19, 12:45 AM
I liked the wood slipping thing.

But, strangely enough, the Coleridge allusion was the part of the comic I liked most.

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-01-19, 12:46 AM
Wouldn't the anti-magic shielding in the cell block have kept Durkon from healing the guys?

Belkar did note that the food he was being fed wasn't up to his halfing standards so maybe the rest of the group just healed normally over time and B's malnourished conditions kept him from being completely healed...

Aiani
2006-01-19, 12:52 AM
That was a good one. I especially like Durkon's line about leafy wankers. It made me laugh out loud at work and now my coworkers think I'm crazy.
Also it's nice to see that Celia seems to have a pretty good plan for their defense already although Belkar might mess it up some.

Godhand
2006-01-19, 01:15 AM
Excellent comic I must say.

In regards to Belkar...
Well Belkar was knocked in the negatives in the fight with Miko and hes CE so I'm pretty sure the pallys wouldn't heal him.

Also, Belkar probably has quite a few more HPs compared to anyone save Roy who was injured in the fight. Resting does recover health, but I dunno if he would've recovered the amount of health needed to reach his max while riding on the back of a horse.

soozenw
2006-01-19, 01:28 AM
hehehe. you never cease to amuse me, giant. i LOVE this strip!

"slipping the wood"...i'm gonna be chuckling about that for weeks.

eof
2006-01-19, 02:14 AM
my DM lets us regain 1 hp for 8 hours sleep.

According to 3.5 rules, a character recovers as many hit points as s/he has character levels from 8 hours sleep, and twice that per day of rest. For the OOTSers, that pretty much means 24 HP per day.

Raptor13x
2006-01-19, 02:16 AM
Great strip, haha :D

Wanker isn't used much around here (Michigan), and it isn't a strong word at all to us when we do hear it. I hate it when people call sandals "thongs". A thong is a fantastic type of underwear, and nothing else. :D

WTFWWD
2006-01-19, 03:16 AM
Thumbs Up!

I love the "Slipping the Wood" scene as well...What exactly was he doing, anyway?

idksocrates
2006-01-19, 03:29 AM
well, I suppose giving a tree to a Dryad counts as far as fey go as a "cheating" worthy offense.

Then there's the whole double entendre thing. I personally didn't find it all the funny. Truth be told, i haven't laughed out loud since the Xykon queue card bit (that was fricken hilarious).

I suppose I can attribute the quip as less funny because I didn't understand that Durkon was referring to the tree and not the Dryad. :P

tis_tom
2006-01-19, 04:27 AM
Aww! Celia's so nice! And here I was thinking that all Lawyers were evil :)

I just hope to god Belkar doesn't show :|

The Doctor
2006-01-19, 04:42 AM
Not sure if anyone caught on but Celia is 'available' now ;)
Also notice Durkon's cluelessness of who this girl is - as he was out when she appeared.

Chlodwig
2006-01-19, 05:38 AM
Hmm, on the one hand he has to because its the 'Laws of Comedic Physics'.
On the other hand its Belkar so he is probably breaking them... :)

Single Shot Zombie
2006-01-19, 05:44 AM
Hmm, on the one hand he has to because its the 'Laws of Comedic Physics'.
On the other hand its Belkar so he is probably breaking them... :)

"Ok. Well, this all seems to be in order, so I guess I'll - oh! Wait. You seem to have made a mistake right here."

"Aw, man! What's the mistake?"

"I'm Chaotic."

Law breakint to the max, Belkar-style! ;D

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=230

mihai
2006-01-19, 06:50 AM
As English isn't my native language, could someone explain "slipping the woods"? Something sexual I suppose?

Dhavaer
2006-01-19, 07:01 AM
As English isn't my native language, could someone explain "slipping the woods"? Something sexual I suppose?

'Wood' in context, refers to an erection. Everything else is more or less self-explanitory from there.

Lasombra
2006-01-19, 07:27 AM
well, i was wondering when the giant would slip some more knob jokes into oots :P

its going to be ironic, but Belkar will probably turn up and say something to completely destroy the case for the prosecution :P

or kill the kitty, one of the two :D

evileeyore
2006-01-19, 09:12 AM
According to 3.5 rules, a character recovers as many hit points as s/he has character levels from 8 hours sleep, and twice that per day of rest. For the OOTSers, that pretty much means 24 HP per day.

Marching does not count as rest.

Likely Miko allowed Durkon to attend to the other healing while she took direct control of Belkar. She would see no reason to extend mercy to an Evil person (outside of not killing him) so likely only did what minimal healing was required to keep him alive.

Belkar says he is wounded... That could mean anything from less than 1/2 HP all the way up to barely scrathed. However I'm willing to bet he is at 1/2 or less. So if we estimate that between his levels and likely CON stat... 1/2 should be around 40-60 so likely the trip took 3-5 days to complete.

A very small world... one as large as plot I suppose.

ByzCath
2006-01-19, 09:46 AM
I know I am new here but I do have a question.

I see it said that Durkon has a fear of trees. I read through all the comics and do not recall this.

Could someone point me to the strips where this is spelt out?

Thanks

Alfryd
2006-01-19, 09:49 AM
So I check the comic, see that it's still not up, and hop over to the message boards to see if it's going to be posted at all. Not a criticism of giants posting schedule.
I wouldn't mind, but posting winds up at about 3am in my time zone.

I love the comic, but the last few haven't really 'clicked' for me. Humor is like that.
Or not like that, depending on your point of view.

It just felt as though the comic were missing something, but I can't really say what.
Brevity is the soul of wit.

'Wood' in context, refers to an erection. Everything else is more or less self-explanitory from there.
Ah, right. I must add that to my catalogue of euphemisms. Very good. As noted, this may have further meaning for a tree-spirit.

Ah, another double-entendre.

Wank may also be switched with yank, fap, squeeze, and stroke. I'm sure there are even more euphamisms, but really I haven't all day.

And now you know more about the word rooting than you EVER wanted to. You're welcome.
Thy encyclopaedic knowledge is breathtaking.

[Amerikan] is a term for an American that sides with the President above all other concerns...
Lawful Evil, right, gotcha.

But, strangely enough, the Coleridge allusion was the part of the comic I liked most.
I missed it. Can you elaborate?

B's malnourished conditions kept him from being completely healed...
I don't think a diet of gruel would count as malnutrition unless maintained long enough for vitamin deficiency to set in.

According to 3.5 rules, a character recovers as many hit points as s/he has character levels from 8 hours sleep, and twice that per day of rest.
I was suprised con isn't a factor.

The_Beast_Rabban
2006-01-19, 09:55 AM
I know I am new here but I do have a question.

I see it said that Durkon has a fear of trees. I read through all the comics and do not recall this.

Could someone point me to the strips where this is spelt out?

Thanks
Here#150 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=150) and here #161 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=161) should help

I missed it. Can you elaborate?

This allusion is refering to Belkar as an albatross around the group's neck. This is a direct reference to The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge in which the sailor wears an albatross round his neck as a burden and sign of his past transgressions.

Amalthea
2006-01-19, 10:39 AM
Great strip, haha :D

Wanker isn't used much around here (Michigan), and it isn't a strong word at all to us when we do hear it. I hate it when people call sandals "thongs". A thong is a fantastic type of underwear, and nothing else. :D
You try wearing one and then call it fantatic. :P Ick.

Sundog
2006-01-19, 10:51 AM
Well, not to be blunt, but the strip includes "damn it" in the first strip, and has since used the words, "bitch", "goddamn," and "bastard" on several occasions, all of which are fairly strong in the US. We've also had multiple references to sex acts and penises, often as the punchline. I realize exactly how strong "wanker" is. PG-13 is exactly where OOTS has always been, I just submit that you didn't notice before.

You may well be right. Either way, it's cool; I mostly just wanted to be sure I was reading the connotations the way you intended.

Leveller
2006-01-19, 11:22 AM
Here#150 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=150) and here #161 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=161) should help

This allusion is refering to Belkar as an albatross around the group's neck. This is a direct reference to The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge in which the sailor wears an albatross round his neck as a burden and sign of his past transgressions.

RIme of the ancient mariner is also a wonderful 13 minutes long Iron Maiden song. (based on the poem of course) ;D

Amalthea
2006-01-19, 11:27 AM
RIme of the ancient mariner is also a wonderful 13 minutes long Iron Maiden song. (based on the poem of course) ;D

Coleridge is spinning in his grave fast enough to generate power. ::)

The_Beast_Rabban
2006-01-19, 11:30 AM
Coleridge is spinning in his grave fast enough to generate power. ::)At least it has kept the poem alive and introduced it to a whole new crowd who otherwise would never have known of it's existence (at least it did for me :) ). Good song by a good band.

Istielthia
2006-01-19, 11:33 AM
I loved it all... the wanker, the wood... which I realize now makes me sound like a pervert... Meh.

Great comic!

Reborn
2006-01-19, 11:33 AM
I hope Belkar makes a hat out of Miko like he did with yik-yik. Self-righteous bitch.

Godhand
2006-01-19, 12:00 PM
Nothing against you at all Dishonoured_Samurai.. but I think it's hilarious with your samurai icon to want Miko to get killed. Also I don't think Belkar would scalp her, he'd probably go for the kidneys. Or get killed/captured...whatever

Reborn
2006-01-19, 12:07 PM
I've left that order, obviously, seeing as I lost my honour smiting a few annoying samurai. Belkar isn't confined to doing just one thing - he could scalp AND kidnify her. But I imagine he's got something special planned for her. Lead sheet to the face or something.

Wrecan
2006-01-19, 12:39 PM
"kidnify"! Consider that word stolen! ;D

Darius Midnite
2006-01-19, 12:40 PM
One of the better ones Giant...

"Ooooo awkward" bwahaha that one rolled me over... ;D

Selv
2006-01-19, 01:08 PM

Over here in the UK there was a bit of a furore when the presenter of a saturday morning TV show by the name of Dominic Wood went on air wearing a T-shirt with the slogan "Morning Wood".

Mr. Wood, I salute you.
"I'm on in the morning and my name is Wood. What's all this about waking up with an erection? You watch children's TV looking for sexual metaphors? You're sick, mister".

Plausible deniability is taking your double-entrdres to a whole new level, if you ask me.

Folie
2006-01-19, 02:21 PM
Anyways, why is he giving her an office plant? I know it's a double entendre, but is that some sort of magical devotional ritual in D&D?

My guess is that Celia is mad because, by giving a gift to the dryad, her boyfriend is demonstrating love for said dryad--a love that is based on more than physical desire. This is potentially more upsetting for her than catching him in the sex act would be.

A funny story about "thongs." Although the youth of my generation uses the word "thong" to refer to a type of underwear, the previous generation still uses the word to refer to a type of sandal. Once when I was in high school math class, my teacher noticed that one of the girls (we'll call her "Jane") was wearing a broken sandal. So she helpfully said, "Oh Jane, your thong broke."

It took the class a while to calm down after that, but the teacher learned the error of her ways. :)

Irie
2006-01-19, 02:56 PM
I just wanted to pipe in with kudos for a great strip. I am constantly impressed and surprised by how much human feeling Rich is able to inject into his characters. What a nice treat to see the OOTS members and Celia sincerley happy to see each other. So many other authors try to make the characters seem clever by making them endlessly cynical.

This strip is really lovely.

nuwandabob
2006-01-19, 03:50 PM
Although english is not my first language I studied in a British School (in Costa Rica) so I only new the chiefly vulgar meaning of the word wanker, which made me lol like never before, but I was also worried some people might be offended (had to go to dictionary.com to find out if an alternative meaning existed). Now that both meanings are clear to me I have to bow before The Giant for his great sense of humour.

That joke HAS to be in a T-shirt someday. BRILLIANT!
;D

Duskrider_Moogle
2006-01-19, 04:00 PM
I just wanted to pipe in with kudos for a great strip. I am constantly impressed and surprised by how much human feeling Rich is able to inject into his characters. What a nice treat to see the OOTS members and Celia sincerley happy to see each other. So many other authors try to make the characters seem clever by making them endlessly cynical.

This strip is really lovely.

I agree. I could really feel the Order's happiness here ^^ Although it's gonna be "oooh, awkward" when the rest of the Order has to explain how they know her. On the other hand, the fact that his first impression is of her stating her hatred for trees is sure to count for something.

Also, I am really fond of this strip, specifically and in general. Whee!

(Spoilerdiction)I am actually kind of hoping that Miko kills Belkar. Because everyone will be like no! I cannot believe it! He killed off a main character, and a funny one too! Nooo! My brain is explOOOOOding!

Also because Miko gets unfair amounts of hate.(/Spoilerdiction)

felblood
2006-01-19, 04:24 PM
[Amerikan] is a term for an American that sides with the President above all other concerns...

No just a specific form of Severe Lawful Neutral. Such folk can become tools for rulers of any alignment.

Knight13
2006-01-19, 04:42 PM
For some reason, I just can't stop laughing at the phrase "Leafy wankers". ;D

eof
2006-01-19, 05:46 PM
Marching does not count as rest.
Never said it did. Although Belkar wasn't marching... ;)

Likely Miko allowed Durkon to attend to the other healing while she took direct control of Belkar. She would see no reason to extend mercy to an Evil person (outside of not killing him) so likely only did what minimal healing was required to keep him alive.

Belkar says he is wounded... That could mean anything from less than 1/2 HP all the way up to barely scrathed. However I'm willing to bet he is at 1/2 or less. So if we estimate that between his levels and likely CON stat... 1/2 should be around 40-60 so likely the trip took 3-5 days to complete.

Belkar's HP should (on average) be 59.5 + [CON bonus] * 12 (assuming he's at level 12), but could be anywhere between 19 + [CON bonus] * 12 and 100 + [CON bonus] * 12. (I'm assuming he has a non-negative CON bonus, here, because it both seems likely and simplifies things.)

Assuming average HP, 60/12 = 5, so Belkar would naturally heal from zero to full HP in ([CON bonus] + 5)/2 days. Even if his CON were be 16-17 (+3), he'd fully naturally heal (from zero HP) in 4 days. Corresponding times for min/max possible HP are ([CON bonus] + 0.58 )/2 days and ([CON bonus] + 8.33)/2 days (tops).

Hanging unconscious in chains might not count as resting, but then again, we don't know how quickly the OOTS were presented to Lord Shojo. There might have been a day or several since Miko brought them in. At least there was seen a need to feed them (or at least Belkar), so maybe they weren't brought in right away.

I'm not arguing with you, just saying.

Evik
2006-01-19, 05:54 PM
yay for returning characters!
I like to see people we have met before turn up again.

needless to say this will be an interesting trial.

spoilerdiction i think there is gonna be a lot of when is Belkar gonna show up tension as he and Miko have cat and mouse games while everyone else is in trial with perhaps a surprise last minute appearance by Belkar just before the verdict is announced lol

oo oo oo cant wait to see what happens next!!!!!!

OldFart
2006-01-19, 06:01 PM

Coleridge is spinning in his grave fast enough to generate power. ::)

Yeah, I'm sure the opium addict would be real upset about a rock band using his poem.

Speaking of Coleridge, one of his appellations was "giant among dwarfs." I wonder if Mr. Burlew was making another of his subtle jokes here.

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-01-19, 06:03 PM
probably, knowing him.

evileeyore
2006-01-19, 06:39 PM
Never said it did. Although Belkar wasn't marching... ;)

Belkar's HP should (on average) be 59.5 + [CON bonus] * 12 (assuming he's at level 12), but could be anywhere between 19 + [CON bonus] * 12 and 100 + [CON bonus] * 12. (I'm assuming he has a non-negative CON bonus, here, because it both seems likely and simplifies things.)

Assuming average HP, 60/12 = 5, so Belkar would naturally heal from zero to full HP in ([CON bonus] + 5)/2 days. Even if his CON were be 16-17 (+3), he'd fully naturally heal (from zero HP) in 4 days. Corresponding times for min/max possible HP are ([CON bonus] + 0.58 )/2 days and ([CON bonus] + 8.33)/2 days (tops).

Hanging unconscious in chains might not count as resting, but then again, we don't know how quickly the OOTS were presented to Lord Shojo. There might have been a day or several since Miko brought them in. At least there was seen a need to feed them (or at least Belkar), so maybe they weren't brought in right away.

I'm not arguing with you, just saying.

I agree. One thing I absolutely dispise about D&D is the abstract HP system. An 18 CON max HPed Barbarian can go from dying to topped off in just over two weeks, as long as he is just walking. He be ready to fight in 8 days if he lays around. He can be back into action in 4 days if someone makes an easy Heal check.

4 days from "I'm dying over here' to "Hurrah!".

Le Sigh.

humanpylon
2006-01-19, 06:59 PM
not to mention the barbarian can take about 10 sword thrusts that would kill an average human, but hey that's what makes adventurers special :P

And yes I do know that hit points measure more than physical injury in the dnd world, i'm just being a smartass

rosebud
2006-01-19, 08:01 PM
Coleridge is spinning in his grave fast enough to generate power. ::)He'd probably appreciate it. He dropped out of college, briefly joined a commune, and was addicted to opium. In fact, his Xanadu ("Kubla Khan, or Visiion in a Dream") was based on an opium dream.

People too often think that just because people lived centuries ago and are respected today doesn't mean they didn't at times live on the edges in their day.

Belkar says he is wounded... That could mean anything from less than 1/2 HP all the way up to barely scrathed.Well, he does like to exaggerate (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=6). :) Also, he is a barbarian now.

Aww! Celia's so nice! And here I was thinking that all Lawyers were evil :)I agree she's nice and that some lawyers are lawful good, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that she's not a lawyer yet.

When she gets her degree, I can see her having fun handling the spurned spouse's side of divorce cases, though.

Tharr
2006-01-19, 09:12 PM
Now the lawful evil type lawyers would have a degree fast just send away from one using some cash to buy one.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-01-19, 09:46 PM
hehe...slipping the wood... that was great.

Did anyone else think that "brad" looked like Brad Pitt with that hair?

Glad to see Celia back, this comic needs more Fey :D

ooooooh, awkward!

aaronbourque
2006-01-19, 09:54 PM

No just a specific form of Severe Lawful Neutral. Such folk can become tools for rulers of any alignment.
I'm pretty sure that Evileeyore is in fact evil, as his name suggests.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; I, of course, am Lawful Good (with a temper).

aaronbourque
2006-01-19, 09:57 PM
I agree. One thing I absolutely dispise about D&D is the abstract HP system. An 18 CON max HPed Barbarian can go from dying to topped off in just over two weeks, as long as he is just walking. He be ready to fight in 8 days if he lays around. He can be back into action in 4 days if someone makes an easy Heal check.

Le Sigh.
Only negative hit points can be called "dying," but since stablyzing can be relatively easily done, it's not as serious as a truely fatal wound.

The real reason it's like this is to simulate heroic fantasy. There are certain rules, however, both optional and not, that keep the hit point abstraction and inflations more accurate. The massive damage rule, for one.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

evileeyore
2006-01-19, 10:50 PM
I'm pretty sure that Evileeyore is in fact evil, as his name suggests.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; I, of course, am Lawful Good (with a temper).

I am Evil in a totally amoral way. I lack the capacity for guilt and basic empathy with my fellow man. Thus much of what Belkar does is not objectionable to me.

I am however a strong proponent of Absolute Authority. The Law is inflexible and always right.

I would rather ten innocents die than one guilty go free.

Thus I am LE to the core. I suspect I shall like the cut of Lord Tyranus' jib once he is introduced.

Although I am absolutely delighted by Elan antics, I would be past frustration with him. Roy is truly a Good man to put up with him for so long. As well with Belkar, I would have coup de grāced him in his sleep long ago.

It's the only way to be sure.

Hyrael
2006-01-20, 01:36 AM
what exactly is Celia's boyfriend doing with that potted tree? I would assume that since Dryads are bound to their trees, they have to cart then around when they want to go anywhere.

Great to see Celia again. I would like her character develope more. as someone said, she is 'available' now...

I hope the next strip will be a Be a cut to some Belkar vs Miko Action!

Here's what I want to see: Miko kills belkar, and looses her paladin Powers/is sternly warned that she is in danger of loosing then unless she attones. then, belkar is raised, and miko has to go with the order to attone, or something.

really, i just want:
A. Miko's growth as a character. I want to see that stick removed to some degree, and maybe her and Roy make ammends.
B. ressurection Jokes. if this requires Belkar or Miko to die, then so be it. There's so much untapped potential for humor there.

As someone remarked earlyer, yes, I did notice that Miko seemed more concerned with killing those ogres than actualy helping the dirt farmers. I sort of reminds me of an Aasimar Favored Soul i once played. He was actualy a very mean person, but, what with his divine powers and Celestial blood, felt compelled to be 'good.' the poor guy, stuck saving people when all he really wanted to do was down some ales, find a floozie or two, and knee the whole world in the groin for saddling him with divine powers and Celestial Blood. Maybe miko is similar, in that she really wants to be mean and cruel, but is held to LG standards by her upbringing.

If Miko becomes a long term member of the Order, maybe we'll see an evil opposite of her. i can see that. A LE hexblade, who, despite being really evil, is very personable and polite and charming.

Being Good doesnt mean being Nice.

Xarkan
2006-01-20, 04:47 AM
Here's what I want to see: Miko kills belkar, and looses her paladin Powers/is sternly warned that she is in danger of loosing then unless she attones. then, belkar is raised, and miko has to go with the order to attone, or something.

Well technically she would probably endanger her paladinhood more by letting Belkar live than by killing him.. which in its own way would be funny.. killing a chaotic evil person on a murderous rampage who has challenged you will be neither chaotic nor evil.. killing an escaped prisoner is not evil either or chaotic for that matter

[edit] any decent lawful good authority figure will demand the death of Belkar by now.. his continued existance endangers all living things (be they good or evil) everywhere

Alfryd
2006-01-20, 05:26 AM
This allusion is refering to Belkar as an albatross around the group's neck.
I dunno if that would count as an explicit Coleridge reference. The phrase is moderately well-known as a figure of speech where I hail from.

I personally favour diminishing hit point gains with each level, and healing (con bonus, min 1) in hit points per full rest. Massive damage is a more complex (read, controversial,) subject.

kerberos
2006-01-20, 05:53 AM
If Miko becomes a long term member of the Order, maybe we'll see an evil opposite of her. i can see that. A LE hexblade, who, despite being really evil, is very personable and polite and charming.

Being Good doesnt mean being Nice.
I don't remember who, but somebody sugested that Roy's sister might qualify as miko's oposite, not an evil oposite, but still.

Max_Sinister
2006-01-20, 06:30 AM
@evil_eeyore: Hm, you're LE (which I believe you), but in love with Miko? That'd be funny if you two really met...

Chaos
2006-01-20, 06:32 AM
I dunno... Julia is a teenager, and we all know that, since Roy is Lawful Good, she has good reason to be Chaotic Evil (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=93) ;)

Slibs
2006-01-20, 07:38 AM

Of course knowing Belkar, he took the very very rare "Retroactive D12 Hit Point Die" feat and doubled his hit points with one level of Barbarian ;D

evileeyore
2006-01-20, 08:51 AM
@evil_eeyore: Hm, you're LE (which I believe you), but in love with Miko? That'd be funny if you two really met...
She is stern and Authoritarian. I'm sure the whole "She destroys Evil, I am Evil" thing would sort it self out.

Nothing a few levels of Blackguard wouldn't fix for her...

But then it really is a West Side Story/Romeo and Juliet thing, and those didn't turn out well...

The_Beast_Rabban
2006-01-20, 09:50 AM
I dunno if that would count as an explicit Coleridge reference. The phrase is moderately well-known as a figure of speech where I hail from.

I think it is well known because of Coleridge. The poem was written in 1798 so has had over 200 years to become common place. As can be seen here (http://www.answers.com/topic/albatross-around-one-s-neck) & here (http://www.bartleby.com/59/4/albatrossaro.html)

Max_Sinister
2006-01-20, 09:55 AM
Ah, BTW, did anyone remark how Durkon said "Who?" when Celia appeared? Nice to see how the Giant gets all the little details right: Durkon was all the time unconcious when Celia was around.

evileeyore
2006-01-20, 10:02 AM
Something has occured to me whilst arguing in the "Go Away Belkar/Miko" threads...

I think the problem I have seeing an overt abundance of anything Durkon and V related on the Good/Evil and Law/Chaos front is they are relativley minor characters comparatively speaking. The predominence of lines (and thus a look at motivations and character) go to Roy, Belkar, Haley, and Elan.

While I doubt this is a subtle play on group dynamics by the Giant, it is something that occurs in many groups.

Think back to past games, or look at games you are currently in. Some characters stand out, some fade back. The OotS mirror that fairly well.

Hmmm.

Deuce
2006-01-20, 11:17 AM
. . .

Think back to past games, or look at games you are currently in. Some characters stand out, some fade back. The OotS mirror that fairly well.

Hmmm.

In "real" gaming groups this is pretty much a given, and is driven by human personalities and group dynamics. A party of 5 or 6 people who are all showboating-out-in-front-"look at me" types will most likely not last long. I hope that, given time, OotS moves beyond it and gives all the "core" members their chance to shine - a process which (oh darn) could take years.

Lila
2006-01-20, 11:34 AM
That last panel is PRICELESS!!!!

Ohhhh awkward. That look on his face!

That's freekin halarious!

Slipping the wood HAH!

SteveMB
2006-01-20, 11:48 AM
Oh, so that's why everyone snickered at my trade offer ("I have wood for sheep") during that Settlers of Catan game. ;)

Boomlaor
2006-01-20, 12:23 PM
"I have wood for sheep"
/snicker ;D

Boomlaor

kradman
2006-01-20, 03:15 PM
nice. specially that i could get to the website without having to wait hours. guess the stupid DOS guy is done now? and if you are not here is my IP ... attack me next time so at least the site is ok :)

p.s: SLIPPING WOOD.... HEHEHEHE

Deuce
2006-01-20, 03:20 PM
. . .

here is my IP ... attack me next time so at least the site is ok :)

. . .

Oh please let that be the IP of some group/organization/party I really don't like . . . :)
Or a Tar Baby . . .

slowly_insane
2006-01-20, 03:53 PM
Okay, first post, but I had to say something(!) Durkon is missing his arms in the ninth panel. Looks a little silly.

U2QueenBee
2006-01-20, 03:57 PM
Okay, first post, but I had to say something(!) Durkon is missing his arms in the ninth panel. Looks a little silly.

Holy cow, you're right...I've read the comic about three times already and didn't notice! (Or thought they were behind his back, but there aren't even elbows so maybe they are missing. I expect it's a fairly easy thing to fix though if The Giant so desires. :)

Leveller
2006-01-20, 04:01 PM

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=118 and here Xykon is spelled wrong. I wonder if the book was printed like this?

slowly_insane
2006-01-20, 04:02 PM
Well, it's not exactly intrinsic to the plot line, and it took me four reads before I even noticed it myself. But it's the little things that make me nuts........

nightfire8199
2006-01-20, 04:10 PM
huh...never noticed it. dont think i ever would have too

uranium194
2006-01-20, 04:57 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=118 and here Xykon is spelled wrong. I wonder if the book was printed like this?

Actually in the book (Dungeon Crawlin' Fools) theres a misprint to Belkar's name. in the book its spelled "Balkar".
To avoid having this post become a spoiler its in the first few pages of the book in the cast of characters section.

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2006-01-20, 05:17 PM
and if you are not here is my IP ... attack me next time so at least the site is ok :)

Have them attack IP 127.0.0.1 instead. =)

impgazer
2006-01-20, 05:27 PM

Heh. Geek humor is my favorite kind.

The Doctor
2006-01-20, 05:44 PM

Someone here reads Userfriendly ?

Evik
2006-01-20, 06:01 PM

hmmm that would be like the assassin from the Serenity movie. Which i thought was awesome by the way, even if they did kill off 2 main characters :(

DarkLadyOfTheSith
2006-01-20, 06:11 PM
Someone here reads Userfriendly ?

Yup, but that's not where I got it from. I have a friend who works in network security. While perusing a script kiddy chat at one point, someone started threating to crash his machine. So he said "OK, here's my IP address: 127.0.0.1 Try it." 5 seconds later, the guy's connection dropped. ;D

Oh, and I suppose I should say: "Hi, I'm new." But I figure that's fairly obvious.

dragon95046
2006-01-20, 06:20 PM
nice. specially that i could get to the website without having to wait hours. guess the stupid DOS guy is done now? and if you are not here is my IP ... attack me next time so at least the site is ok :)

hehe, that IP takes you to Google. :P

Ilaun_Undil
2006-01-20, 06:27 PM
Noooo not Google!!!
So about Durkon losing arms? It doesn't seem he noticed yet. I hope he doen't need them.
6 to 275

Elurindel
2006-01-20, 06:37 PM
The only thing I have to say about this is:
heheh, Durkon said "wankers" :P

CarpeAmentum
2006-01-20, 07:45 PM
I love these literal/figurtive jokes. Elan's blade, slipping the wood, Rod of Lordly Might, the whole "king" strip, I liked 'em all. It's probably because I'm half-english teacher.

(you think getting the First Post is good? I used to actually start these topics sometimes!)

Does that have a level adjustment?